View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 My "so tired" rant 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post My "so tired" rant
First, let me say that while I'm a noob on this board I'm not a newbie to the 'phins (my family had season tickets during the 80's in the ob and I've lived and died with them since I was 6 (1978)) and this may end up as a rant, but I can't take it anymore.

People have been trying to isolate the reasons why the Dolphins are underachieving this season and some of the conclusions have been: playcalling, Henne, bad luck and bad coaching. I think the reason is deeper seeded and far more simple... the organization has $OLD OUT! I think it started with the move to Joe Robbie, or Pro Player... err landshark or whatever they call that sorry excuse for a stadium these days and has gotten worse every year since.

I played football through high school and getting "up" for a game was a big part of winning, my method was music. I'm sure a LOT of others on this board played football and also used music to get up for a game and as sure as I am about that I'm also as sure that not ONE of them used a freaking JIMMY BUFFET song to do it! Every time I hear that atrocity of a song I want to turn of the tv and disown the organization. Look around the NFL and one thing is clear: tradition is important. From "Let's go, Buffalo", to "GO PACK GO", or "Hail to the Redskins" songs and chants run the gambit, some inspiring and , yes, some cheesy, but to introduce a piece of garbage like "fins to the left" solely because the singer is a minority owner of the team is a joke. I don't think the old Dolphins TD song was great, but it's been around forever and was about football.

The Dolphins organization seems to be more about entertainment and less about winning culture these days. They make every effort to bring in celebrity wherever possible... how about finding some FOOTBALL people to invest in the team? Perhaps Shula could gather up some investors and make an offer on the team? I wish someone would do something because I really miss the days of my youth when you could count on getting a highly respectable effort year in and year out.

I think the Dolphins need to get back to tradition in all senses of the word. Start with getting rid of the embarassment of a TD song, and maybe end up with bulding a stadium where the fans have an "atmosphere", like what we had in the OB. The sidelines are too far from the edge of the stadium thanks to it having to house baseball and every year the diamond costs us games and injuries. I know it won't be an issue anymore, but why didn't they sod the diamond for Sundays and then convert it BACK for baseball... since when is winning not worth a few thousand bucks for yard work?

I know there are plenty of people who remember the atmosphere back in the OB during the mid 80's, but I also think there are just as many who don't which makes it difficult to bring it back. There are a lot of transplants who may just accept this crap product as the norm, but those of us who have been around long enough need to let them know there's something better, something worth being a part of.

I know some will point out that a certain player who wore #13 was a member of the Dolphins back then and, sure, Marino was a big part of the atomosphere, but it wasn't JUST Marino that made those times special.

The Dolphins organization has gotten away from the small things that make a franchise special. They need to realize it's about the fans, pride and winning and NOTHING else. *sigh* Alas, I don't forsee this happening with the current ownership... maybe UM could loan us Sebastain and a fire extinguisher for the Lions game?

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: My "so tired" rant
The Orange Bowl... wow was that place great. If you had seats at the top, it kinda sucked, but the people made up for it. I don't recall hearing J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS in the Orange Bowl.

I doubt we get a new stadium anytime soon. Perhaps a few years without a SB in Miami will do the trick.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I can see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen.

Why do the Lakers sell out every game? Not because they're good; it's because they have Kobe. They have a show. They had Majic in the 80s and 90s, and now Kobe. In Boston, it doesn't matter if the score is 45-43 every night; people will fill the stadium every night if the team is winning.

In Miami, it's more like LA. It has to be a show, not just a winning product. I like what Ross is doing. If I was at the game and people next to me weren't into it and all I'd probably be ticked, but hey, Ross has to sell his product and the way to do it in that city is to sell a show. Sad but true.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Why do the Lakers sell out every game? Not because they're good; it's because they have Kobe. They have a show. They had Majic in the 80s and 90s, and now Kobe. In Boston, it doesn't matter if the score is 45-43 every night; people will fill the stadium every night if the team is winning.

In Miami, it's more like LA. It has to be a show, not just a winning product. I like what Ross is doing. If I was at the game and people next to me weren't into it and all I'd probably be ticked, but hey, Ross has to sell his product and the way to do it in that city is to sell a show. Sad but true.

Have you ever even been to Miami?

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:09 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Several times.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Several times.

Well then you do have some idea of how bad Miami ACTUALLY sucks.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

good effort on post but sorry, have to disagree. The pats have a new stadium, no fight song, yet they seem to have built a sustainable winner ...Shula buying the team..so you want an owner involved with on field decisions...great, he has not been active for what...15 plus years..great idea...Marino, great regular season qb...his playoff numbers dropped dramatically...unlike young, montana etc whose numbers went up in the playoffs..the answer is to look forward, not backward and I think Ross is on the right track...by getting celebs involved he is trying to make a home game an event, to fill the stadium..which will give us a home field advantage....that we currently dont' have...Ross has shown he is willing to spend whatever it takes to get the best players on the field...geez its the 3rd year for Ireland and Sparano...from 1-15 did u expect super bowl this year ?

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:39 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

dolphan74 wrote:
did u expect super bowl this year ?

yes

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:47 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
yes
only in Madden would that happen so quickly :)

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:14 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

MTFan wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

yes

Therein lies the problem. People expecting 8-8, like myself, aren't having a nervous breakdown.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hey Rich, what do you think about the T-Pain remix of our fight song?
:)

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MTFan wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

yes

Therein lies the problem. People expecting 8-8, like myself, aren't having a nervous breakdown.

i wasn't exactly being serious. Sure I dream of the super bowl every year, but realistically I was hoping for the divisional round of the playoffs.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

When I saw the schedule for 2010 and then factored in the dismal preseason effort, I kind of figured we would be around .500. I had hoped for better. Another year for Henne, adding Marshall....combined with the running game we had the year before....I was expecting a chance at the playoffs for sure.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]