View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins Rewind of the Jets win 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami Dolphins Rewind of the Jets win
Quote:
by: Omar Kelly December 17th, 2010 | 12:40 PM Heard a breakdown of what makes a good head coach the other day and it made me think of Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano.
(And you folks know I’m not a kiss up….I’d actually be better at my job if I learned to kiss butt).
The traits were: “Good at growing and developing talent…. Excellent communicator…. Detail oriented….Inspirational.”
Sparano hits the mark on all of those (although he gets points deducted for the offense, which has been a disaster this season), and proof of that is the team’s 7-6 record, and success winning games on the road (6-1), which is extremely difficult to do in the NFL.
Talent wise I’ve consistently said a good record for 2010 was 9-7 and it appears the Dolphins MIGHT match that.
To think that this Dolphins team is anchored by a defense that’s anchored by a front line that’s anchored by PAUL SOLIAI. That’s impressive!

What were the Jets doing defending Brandon Marshall with Bart Scott a couple of times. I know it was zone, but damn. That’s still a mismatch. I found it interesting that the Jets opted to put Darrelle Revis on Davone Bess. They also bracketed Bess, which took away Chad Henne’s favorite target.
If other teams take this approach it will FORCE Henne to develop a better relationship with Marshall, which might be a good thing. Too bad Marshall’s still on one leg….

When the season began Koa Misi and Cameron Wake struggled setting the edge on a regular basis. That’s no longer and issue for either, and it’s one of the reasons the Dophins have drastically improved vs. the run the past three weeks. Misi has gotten so good at edge setting the Dolphins don’t even keep Ike Alama-Francis active anymore…..
I’m aware Marshall was playing in the slot out of necessity, but he needs to remain there. That’s where Marshall did his best work in Denver, and it provides more mismatches for this limp offense. However, Kevin Curtis’ addition this week will likely move Marshall back to the X and Z spot, which will likely occupy a safety…..

Sean Smith was a very good match up for Dustin Keller and if he keeps thriving in his safety role I suspect it won’t be long before he’s forced to make a full time move to free safety. Can’t you envision him playing center field in Chris Clemons’ role once he loses his 4.4 speed (and they all get slower)?
Smith has been doing a much better job of tackling lately, but needs to work on the jugs machine, which he has every day after practice. Believe it or not, this former college receiver has pretty good hands…..

It’s about time a tight end not named Anthony Fasano caught a pass this season.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Post Re: Miami Dolphins Rewind of the Jets win
I like how you are throwing out a bunch of data but I really think Miami won the Jets game simply because of two things.

1. Miami's punter was a stud that night, giving Miami the possibility of a win.
2. The Jets Offense was horrible. Had they not dropped that easy catch when they were wide open in the end zone, would anyone really be talking about how good the Miami Defense was? It would have been game, set, match for the Jets.

Beating the Jets was a positive thing, but getting one first down in the entire second half is not an acceptable NFL standard.

Has anyone looked into if that is an NFL record to win a game with only one first down in the second half? That has to be rare.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami Dolphins Rewind of the Jets win
I don't like the part about Sean Smith playing free safety for us. He has bricks for hands

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]