View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 QB Discussion 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post QB Discussion
Since every other thread seems to get hijacked by QB talk why don't we just hash it out in one so other topics don't evolve into Henne Sucks vs Henne Will Be Fine.

No question that competition has to be brought in. My question is what is realistically out there? Lets not have the Andrew Luck fantasy enter this because its not going to happen. The price is too high and there are too many QB starved teams at the top of the draft.

In the draft, will they have a shot at Mallet in the first round? Jake Locker in the late first or second round (assuming they make a trade to get a 2nd round pick)? Is there a mid round guy? I have not done a lot of research. But my concern is that no one is coming in and taking over immediately. Maybe one of the problems for Henne is that he needed a few years of study ala Aaron Rodgers before he was ready to take the field. Not necessarily looking for predictions but more less reads on the talent level out there.

Now we enter the which veteran comes in? Right now its Pennington whose shoulder is held together with chewing gum. Realistically, if its not Henne you need a guy who can play for at least 2-3 years. Who fits that bill?

And maybe we can have a discussion that isn't one sided in either direction.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: QB Discussion
I think this is a good discussion to have and that is coming from a Henne supporter. I have seen enough to cause me concern wit Henne, yet I am not ready to kick him to the curb yet. What I think we need to do is draft a guy who can come in an push Henne or win the job outright. Henne might be one of those guys that takes 4-5 years to develop into something special. Or it may be that he never does, and we have already seen the best of him. In either case, we should be looking to add depth at the position, rather than simply waiting for everything to play out and then being screwed if and when it doesn't.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
What I think we need to do is draft a guy who can come in an push Henne or win the job outright.

Very hard to find a guy who comes in his rookie season and win the job. It happens, but not too often. I'd like to see a vet come in and compete with Henne, and also have Miami draft a guy. Best man wins, several approaches used (free agency, in house candidate, draft).

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Phin wrote:
What I think we need to do is draft a guy who can come in an push Henne or win the job outright.

Very hard to find a guy who comes in his rookie season and win the job. It happens, but not too often. I'd like to see a vet come in and compete with Henne, and also have Miami draft a guy. Best man wins, several approaches used (free agency, in house candidate, draft).

I by no means expect that a rookie would come in and win the job. The idea is to get someone in place this year so that in a year to two he is in position to win the job. You never do know though, you could end up drafting a Bradford or Ryan who comes in day one and looks ready to start. I think no matter what, we need to give Hene one more year anyways.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

How about we take a shot on VY?

I know I wouldn't mind...

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Great posts, finally an intelligent QB thread. OK, here are a few reasons as to why I support Henne as our QB of the future:

363 yards 2 TDs 1 int, vs the Jets, the MOST passing yards they have allowed ALL YEAR.

302 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INT vs. NE, anytime you throw for 300 yards vs the Pats, it's noteworthy

257 yards and 1 TD, no INT vs Steelers, the 2nd most points in a game the Steelers have given up this year. Pats were number 1, obviously.

Those are 3 of the top teams in the NFL right now, and he more than held his own against them. Special teams cost him the win vs. NE and the Jets, and Gene Steratore cost him the win vs. the Steelers. He can play this game, he just needs a coach who is competent with the playcalling. He has the tools and he has done it before.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dan wrote:

Pass. There is a reason he is in the doghouse. Dude seems to have some serious issues. Besides, he is the exact opposite of what we want in a QB. Low release, quick to run, etc.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dan wrote:

Ummmm....no. That dude has been benched way more times than Henne. Pass.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think the VY - Jeff Fisher drama has been 50/50. Both need to do some growing up in my estimation. That being said, if the guy were cut by Tenn, or if he were traded cheaply, I wouldn't have any issue bringing him in. He would provide solid competition, and may yet blossom into a franchise qb. How many guys here wanted nothing to do with Vick when he was released from prison? I know I didn't. Now take a look at the guy, who wouldn't want that kind of talent on their team?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphinjim wrote:
Great posts, finally an intelligent QB thread. OK, here are a few reasons as to why I support Henne as our QB of the future:

363 yards 2 TDs 1 int, vs the Jets, the MOST passing yards they have allowed ALL YEAR.

302 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INT vs. NE, anytime you throw for 300 yards vs the Pats, it's noteworthy

257 yards and 1 TD, no INT vs Steelers, the 2nd most points in a game the Steelers have given up this year. Pats were number 1, obviously.

Those are 3 of the top teams in the NFL right now, and he more than held his own against them. Special teams cost him the win vs. NE and the Jets, and Gene Steratore cost him the win vs. the Steelers. He can play this game, he just needs a coach who is competent with the playcalling. He has the tools and he has done it before.

Technically the Pitt defense was credited with an interception against Henne even though everyone has seen the replay of the ball hitting the ground. Doesn't really matter though as that was 4th down and ended the game either way.

The guy can make some throws. He has contributed to some good wins both last year and this year. I'm not putting all of my eggs in the Henne basket but I'd still like to see what he can do after working on his issues this offseason.

If VY is the best veteran option out there and costs the minimum on a 1 year deal then sure. But I doubt that will be the case.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:42 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

Technically the Pitt defense was credited with an interception against Henne even though everyone has seen the replay of the ball hitting the ground. Doesn't really matter though as that was 4th down and ended the game either way.

The guy can make some throws. He has contributed to some good wins both last year and this year. I'm not putting all of my eggs in the Henne basket but I'd still like to see what he can do after working on his issues this offseason.

If VY is the best veteran option out there and costs the minimum on a 1 year deal then sure. But I doubt that will be the case.

I know, that's why I didn't put the INT vs Pitt, it was the second weakest call of the game!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i do have a strange feeling that we will end up with Young or Mcnabb! I dont expect WAS to keep mcnabb over the coach! Adam shcefter was saying one of them are going! anyway i just got the feeling!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hatecrewadb wrote:
i do have a strange feeling that we will end up with Young or Mcnabb! I dont expect WAS to keep mcnabb over the coach! Adam shcefter was saying one of them are going! anyway i just got the feeling!

I'd bet that we don't even LOOK at either of those guys, much less acquire one of them..

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Until Henne proves he can be consistent WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT, this was a good topic post. My vote is keep Henne, but if a guy like Kyle Orton is available and for a reasonable pick up, consider him.

If Vince Young comes cheaper than anticipated, you at least talk to the guy. Hopefully, Miami does consider also drafting a young prospect, then make them all battle it out, but IMO Henne will not be handed the number spot without really earning it this go around.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Henne’s accuracy (60.5 this season) is a mirage. When he misfires he does it badly. He rarely throws into tight space, and doesn’t have any touch on his deep balls. By my count he’s connected on two deep passes all season.
Think about it: How often have you seen Henne throw deep. Why doesn’t Henne throw 15-yard out routes considering he does have a strong arm? And why doesn’t he utilize his tailbacks more in the passing game?
Outside of how Henne performed in the 31-23 loss to the Jets (a game where he threw an interception at the end), his Tennessee performance (before the injury), and the Oakland game (which was against a depleted secondary), what performances this season stands out?
Is Henne really progressing, or is he regressing? As of Sunday he’ll have started 25 games.
Chew on this: Henne has a 49.4 QB rating in the fourth quarter….

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
1. Passing game, especially the protection, needs a major tune-up.
Offensive coordinator Dan Henning admitted Thursday during his weekly press conference that his offense is struggling across the board – especially in the passing game, where Chad Henne has thrown for 229 yards combined over his last two games, with two touchdowns, three interceptions and six sacks.

“We can’t continue to exist with as little a passing game as we had last week,” Henning said. “We have to do better than that.”

But while Henne is having his issues – making the correct reads, not locking onto receivers, not giving up on a play too soon – he is hardly the only one playing below acceptable standards in the passing game.

The offensive line, which took a big hit with the loss of Vernon Carey to a knee injury, has not been playing up to par. Henning said there were several plays from the Jets game in which Henne did not have time to make the correct throw because the protection was not done correctly.

“Blocking – that’s the issue,” Henning said. “You have to have protection.”

The route-running, too, has not been as precise as necessary, particularly from rookie receivers Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace, who don’t always run the correct length on their routes, which can mess up the other receivers in the play.

The Dolphins also have added more 1-on-1 periods in practice this week to hopefully help the receivers become better at going up and making plays.

The “$5 dollar answer” to fixing the offense, as Henning put it?

“We gotta block better, we gotta throw better, we gotta run better routes,” he said. “Gotta catch the ball, cannot have penalties. We have to move the ball in a more consistent, efficient manner than we’ve been doing in the last two or three weeks.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... r-tune-up/

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

There is no way that Vince Young becomes available.

Jeff Fisher will be the one that gets the boot.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well the biggest name Free agent quarterbacks are limited to Bulger, Brunell, Dixon and Hasselbeck.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Alex13 wrote:
Well the biggest name Free agent quarterbacks are limited to Bulger, Brunell, Dixon and Hasselbeck.

Wouldn't mind bringing in Hasselbeck to compete and mentor Henne. Hasselbeck was a guy who took a while to bloom/get his shot, so he could be a good influence.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:

Hire him.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

And that organization will get everything it deserves if they let Fisher go is instead of VY.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:55 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

And that organization will get everything it deserves if they let Fisher go is instead of VY.

Fisher has lost the locker room and has had an overrated career. Time for him to go.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Isnt Orton going to be out there to sign?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Orton would be a good one to grab for some competition. I think he is more solid backup material than future franchise material. VY has the potential to be a franchise guy. McNabb wouldn't be bad for a 2-3 yr plan, but I would want to draft his replacement this year.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Vince Young is crap. Doesnt have it between the ears to be a quarterback in the NFL

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:00 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

In my opinion, Henne has not done enough growing this year to get the nod for the starting job next year, he will need to earn it. That said, there are not a lot of FA QB's that excite me, the draft is an option, as I hope we go for best offensive player available with every pick. The FA I wanted us to get that we didn't was the former raven center Brown, who ST.Louis signed, who I think is a huge part in their resurgence this year...I hope we get one big name in his prime OG or C as a FA this offseason!!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:51 pm

dolphan74 wrote:
In my opinion, Henne has not done enough growing this year to get the nod for the starting job next year, he will need to earn it. That said, there are not a lot of FA QB's that excite me, the draft is an option, as I hope we go for best offensive player available with every pick. The FA I wanted us to get that we didn't was the former raven center Brown, who ST.Louis signed, who I think is a huge part in their resurgence this year...I hope we get one big name in his prime OG or C as a FA this offseason!!

My thoughts exactly. I think we pretty much all knew that giving Grove 29 mil rather than just give Brown the 32 mil he wanted was going to come back to kick us in the butt.

I'm a huge advocate of going after Logan Mankins in the Off Season. He'll be worth every penny of what will be a huge contract. Best OG in the game.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:58 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

thought for sure we would draft Mack out of CAL...Logan would be great...then stick Incognito at his true pos RG

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I think we pretty much all knew that giving Grove 29 mil rather than just give Brown the 32 mil he wanted was going to come back to kick us in the butt.

I'm a huge advocate of going after Logan Mankins in the Off Season. He'll be worth every penny of what will be a huge contract. Best OG in the game.

Best Original Gangster? Sorry was watching Gangland just now

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

QB is the most important position on the field, I think we all can agree on that. That being said I will hold my judgement on Henne until after the season. Henne was basically a rookie last season who was throw in after Pennington went down. He did a solid job and finished with a 7-6 record as a starter. This year is his first true season as our starting quarterback, he's had some successes and he's had some failures and at this point he's 7-6 as our starter.
What Henne does from here on out will determine his future. If we can finish 9-7 or 10-6 then you've got to think he is our starting quarterback going into next season. Our coaches will find ways to put more weapons around him and find a offensive coordinator who can play to his strenghts. I've been saying for a while that I think we should aggressively hunt Josh McDaniels the recently exiled Broncos coach for the job. He's a great offensive mind that is extremely competitive and he knows how to spread the field. Henne would put up great numbers in his system in my opinion. Just look at what McDaniels did for Orton's career.
The flip side of this conversation is if Henne finishes poorly and our team winds up 8-8 or 7-9. If that occurs, then we need to go all out and commit to finding a quarterback in the draft. You sell the farm draft wise, move up, and find the guy high in the first round. No more 2nd round "diamonds in the rough". 2nd rounders take longer to develop and historically have a much slimmer chance of panning out. If you look around the league the NFL is filled with 1st round draft picks at the quarterback position. If we are going to draft a quarterback I think it would also be smart of us to invite Marino in to help with the selection process. He was dead right about Big Ben all those years ago and we all know what Roethlisberger has done for that organization. All the tom foolery aside the guy is an amazing quarterback that is probably headed for the hall of fame sometime down the road.
Whatever we do I just hope we do it right. Quarterback is a position we can ill afford to spend another decade trying to find.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
When the Dolphins put up 15 points against Buffalo in Week 1, radio analyst Joe Rose figured it was just a slow start for the offense. Then the problem became a trend:

•One offensive touchdown at Minnesota in Week 2.
•Fourteen points overall against New England in Week 4.
•One touchdown and five field goals at Cincinnati in Week 8.
•Then 10 points against Baltimore, none against Chicago, 30 net passing yards against the New York Jets ...
"And here we are, 19 offensive touchdowns in 13 games," said

Quote:
"I don't want to bash, but I don't think we have the answer at the quarterback position," McDuffie said. "I think it's time you invest in a high-profile quarterback."

Henne has 13 touchdowns against 15 interceptions, and his 76.5 passer rating is 26th in the NFL. In the fourth quarter, his passer rating is 49.7 - No. 37 in the league.

Kev Island...huh

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... s_dolphins

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

kev1321 wrote:
Kev Island...huh

If this is what you are going to start then please do it in another thread.

The quoted info is appreciated, but don't start the usual and turn this into a Henne sucks thread.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
kev1321 wrote:
Kev Island...huh

The quoted info is appreciated, but don't start the usual and turn this into a Henne sucks thread.

So what you are saying is that you can't say the qb sucks in a qb discussion thread??????

Go back to Henne island :ann0y:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would be all for getting Orton. If the cost isn't too steep....he is quantum leaps ahead of Henne. If you get him for a 2nd rounder, that is a major steal. He is actually worth a 1st rounder. Look at his number with that awful team he plays for now....and look hard at their list of receivers...ours are much better. It is Orton making those guys look good, not the other way around.

If not Orton, then make a move for Hasselback. He would be a game manager and probably give the team the kind of leadership/numbers we had with a healthy Pennington. He could mentor a new rookie. If we must, keep Henne in the mix and trade Thigpen. I would do the reverse there though....

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:51 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I would be all for getting Orton. If the cost isn't too steep....he is quantum leaps ahead of Henne. If you get him for a 2nd rounder, that is a major steal. He is actually worth a 1st rounder. Look at his number with that awful team he plays for now....and look hard at their list of receivers...ours are much better. It is Orton making those guys look good, not the other way around.

If not Orton, then make a move for Hasselback. He would be a game manager and probably give the team the kind of leadership/numbers we had with a healthy Pennington. He could mentor a new rookie. If we must, keep Henne in the mix and trade Thigpen. I would do the reverse there though....

Matt Hasselbeck?? Are we that desperate?? That guy hasn't been good in years.

And Orton is not worth a 2nd, much less a 1st. The guy can't read defenses, is awful in close games and against the blitz, and has one of the worst 3rd down QB ratings in the NFL. He's a mediocre QB who thrived in a QB friendly system. Even with that he's in the 2nd half of the NFL in QB rating, and is getting shown up by TIM TEBOW.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

kev1321 wrote:
jammer wrote:
kev1321 wrote:
Kev Island...huh

So what you are saying is that you can't say the qb sucks in a qb discussion thread??????

Go back to Henne island :ann0y:

I politely asked everyone not to bring in the unnecessary "Henne sucks" or "Henne is fine, you don't know football" types of comments that take over threads and turn into fights. You decided to bring that back in because I joked on you way back when about having knee jerk reactions.

Your post says everything we need to know. Thanks for contributing.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

* Note * I was going to put this on another thread but it is locked, so putting it here *

Ok, there is a lot of complaining at all levels of our beloved team. But I think the biggest complaint and biggest question is our QB play. Some ppl like him, some ppl are calling for him to go. Is it because of Henning? Is it Henne not being able to grasp Pro level play? Same debate week after week. Yeah, he had a decent game today w/ the numbers he put up. But some of the stats are misleading. So, I broke it down by series (drives) the Fin's had today. All pass attempts here, no running cause that is not our focus, and does not include runs after catch:
1st Series
4 att. 3 comp (all short passes) 1 inc short
2nd series
no pass att.
3rd Series
6 att. 4 comp (all short) 1 inc long, 1 inc INT. short
4th Series
1 att (sacked)
5th Series
4 att 2 comp short, 1 inc short, 1 inc long
6th Series
5 att 3 comp short, 1 inc short, 1 sack
7th Series
2 att 1 inc short 1 sack
8th Series
7 att 5 comp short 2 inc short
9th Series
8 att 8 comp short (1 of which was for TD)
10th Series
7 att 3 comp short, 1 comp long, 3 inc short,
11th Series
4 att, 3 comp short, 1 inc (spike)

So out of all those attempts, only 3 went long, longer than 10 yds anyways. Let the debate begin.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jimfinfan13 wrote:
* Note * I was going to put this on another thread but it is locked, so putting it here *

Ok, there is a lot of complaining at all levels of our beloved team. But I think the biggest complaint and biggest question is our QB play. Some ppl like him, some ppl are calling for him to go. Is it because of Henning? Is it Henne not being able to grasp Pro level play? Same debate week after week. Yeah, he had a decent game today w/ the numbers he put up. But some of the stats are misleading. So, I broke it down by series (drives) the Fin's had today. All pass attempts here, no running cause that is not our focus, and does not include runs after catch:
1st Series
2nd series
no pass att.
3rd Series
4th Series
1 att (sacked)
5th Series
6th Series
7th Series
2 att 1 inc short 1 sack
8th Series
9th Series
10th Series
11th Series

So out of all those attempts, only 3 went long, longer than 10 yds anyways. Let the debate begin.

Just curious, what are you defining as short and long? 10 yds or more is long?

We've all seen that the guy hasn't hit a good deep pass since hitting Cobbs against the Raiders.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:07 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Oops sorry. 0-10 short, > 10 long. I would like to break it down even more i.e. 0-5, 6-10, 11 + etc. But I don't have tevo: (

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jimfinfan13 wrote:

1st Series
2nd series
no pass att.
3rd Series
4th Series
1 att (sacked)
5th Series
6th Series
7th Series
2 att 1 inc short 1 sack
8th Series
9th Series
10th Series
11th Series

That's why his completion percentages are a tad misleading/inflated. He is not reading the rest of the field and we've routinely seen how poor he is at getting the ball downfield.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next