View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Joey Porter looking really foolish these days 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Joey Porter looking really foolish these days
ESPN wrote:
You know who looks really foolish these days? Joey Porter.

Porter went on a media rampage the week before the Super Bowl 10 months ago, ripping into the Dolphins organization for daring to give Wake some situational snaps last year ahead of him and Jason Taylor.

The Dolphins had no choice but to dump the inflammatory Porter. He eventually signed with the Arizona Cardinals and is tied for 38th in the NFL with five sacks. Taylor is tied for 55th with four sacks.

"If I got a dollar for all the naysayers and doubters that I've encountered in the last two, three years, I'd be a very, very wealthy man," Wake said. "I've had people that claim to be close to you, claim to be your friends, your family, coaches, teammates, everybody at some point all along the line has had something to say.

"But at the end of the day I had to stick to my goal, stick to my dream. I didn't really care if Joey Porter or anybody else said I couldn't do it. It was about me and going out there and saying 'I believe I can' and going out there and showing everybody I can."

The Dolphins certainly feel vindicated in their decision to catapult Porter from the roster.

They took a gamble with the swap. Wake was an unproven NFL commodity, while Porter led the Dolphins in sacks the previous two seasons. In 2008, Porter topped the AFC with 17.5 sacks.

"When you make a move like that and you move out veteran players and you put a guy into the lineup that obviously hasn't played a lot," Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano said, "from a coaching standpoint it's always good to see him validate your convictions.

"We were just convinced the more than Cameron would play the better he would get. We just felt getting a young player in there with that kind of energy and athleticism was the right thing to do."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... f-dominant

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Joey Porter looking really foolish these days
Wake is really making waves...

I do think he has done a great job adjusting and improving his play... His ability to set the edge and get to the RB in the backfield are superb compared to his limited time last year.

But I also would like to believe that there are a few other reasons... Its hard to double Wake with the other 3 - 4 guys standing shoulder to shoulder with him.
Misi, Starks, Solia have all been doing a pretty good job this year. They really seem to be getting better as the year progresses...
McDaniels has also been a pleasant surprise... And to think the first round Draft pick that was supposed to help this defense transition has been out all season...

Cant wait to see what its like with him back and healthy....

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Between Merling and Odrick, two top 32 draft picks, we haven't seen much playing time at all. It's imperative, given the amount we have invested in them, that they yield returns in the next season or two. Merling has got to be on his last leg from the standpoint of on the field performance, if they guy can't stay on the field and perform this coming season, I think you will see him gone.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Joey got what he wanted and the Dolphins did the right thing by letting him go. Cam Wake has been everything the Dolphins thought he would be and more.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I saw this in him last year. Wasn't he in the top 5 for effectiveness or efficiency last year? Should have played him more. Our D was the achilles heal in 2009.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

OMG, so many posters here were ripping the organization for not keeping Taylor and Porter...funny how they have changed their tune....see that is what the Pats have done for years...letting go of past their prime vets, and let talent develop on the field..but the posters here ripped the Phins this year for using that same approach.. :hithead: :hithead:

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]