View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Sparano Happy With Team Victory Over The Jets 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Sparano Happy With Team Victory Over The Jets
Quote:
Miami is sitting at 7-6 thanks to Sunday’s 10-6 victory over the New York Jets at New Meadowlands Stadium in a game that featured strong performances by the defense and special teams. The offense struggled, but still managed to capitalize on both of New York’s first quarter turnovers – one time with a 47-yard field goal by Dan Carpenter and the other with a 6-yard touchdown pass from Chad Henne to Brandon Marshall.

The Dolphins racked up a season-low 131 total yards of offense on the afternoon, their lowest net since last November at the old Meadowlands against the Jets (104 yards) – and that also came in a win (30-25). In that game it was the special teams and defense that again came through, with Ted Ginn, Jr. returning two kickoffs of 101 and 100 yards for touchdowns and Jason Taylor running back a fumble 48 yards for a touchdown.

So as far as Sparano is concerned, the vital lesson to be learned in games like these is that in order to win you have to do so as a team. That means every phase has to pitch in, and if one is faltering the other two have to step it up more.

“It was a tough victory yesterday. Our defense really played a good football game yesterday but so did our special teams,” Sparano said. “Although it wasn’t the offense’s best day out there yesterday, you win and lose as a team and I think that’s the thing that our guys understand. This is a team, they are a very close team,I’ve said that to you before and I mean they enjoy being with each other, they really do.”

After the defense’s stellar outing against the Jets they are now ranked fourth overall in the AFC and fifth overall in the NFL. Outside linebacker Cameron Wake leads the league in sacks with 14 and the last three weeks the run defense has been impenetrable.

So what more can that unit do to further the team’s chances of winning?

“Yeah, well I don’t want to be an idiot here but I guess we could’ve had more turnovers

“We need to play better on offense than we played yesterday but we played pretty good in twophases of the game yesterday, pretty darn good. That special teams unit; wetake turns kind of beating them up a little bit but that was a huge difference in the game.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/spara ... -over-jets

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]