View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Henne / Sanchez , Jets / Dolphins debate 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Henne / Sanchez , Jets / Dolphins debate
Makchell wrote:
Right now Sanchez is easily the better of the two.

I'm not so sure anymore. There are a lot of QBs struggling. Even Ben didn't throw a TD today. The only sure QBs are Brady, Manning, and most of the time Brees.

I don't know. Garratt, freeman, Vick, Rivers, McNabb, Rodgers....Miami doesn't even need a stud with this defense...they just need a guy who doesn't find the kid in Row 3 on a flat pass.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:19 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

NFLJunkie wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Henne coughed up the ball twice today though....fumbles instead of interceptions....but I am hoping that was mostly the wet ball and all. Ronnie also fumbled after taking a good shot.

you cant count that fumble when pace came in unblocked

Why? Because Henne doesn't have any pocket awareness? How many good QB's would have simply got rid of the ball or juked him as fast as he was coming in. Ybell rocketed in on Sanchez and he simply sidestepped him and delivered a ball that if not for Smith heroics would've been 6. Henne just doesn't have what it takes to play at this level. He's got the tools but he's in a long list of guys who don't have the intangibles. He's a Ryan Leaf type of guy. Slow, flat-footed, slow in the decision process and not mentally tough.

Did you even watch the game??? The RT whiffed on Pace totally, never touched him, Henne was looking the other way, he got blindsided. Brady would have fumbled.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 am

Henne was looking staight down the field. He has tunnel vision and doesn't see anything until its too late. The kid is done. Either his confidence is totally gone or he's just that bad. Time to move on.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:36 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Henne was looking staight down the field. He has tunnel vision and doesn't see anything until its too late. The kid is done. Either his confidence is totally gone or he's just that bad. Time to move on.

I'd agree from a confidence standpoint, but that can be regained. What I don't understand is how he played so well on the road against Oakland, but then at home against Cleveland he sucked it up and looked completely out of sync. He doesn't look scared to me, he just looks like he is unsure of himself or what he wants to do. I seriously wonder what's happening behind closed doors with him and the coaching staff. My thinking is that they have lost all faith in him and it's starting to show. I guess time will tell.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:41 am

Phin wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I'd agree from a confidence standpoint, but that can be regained. What I don't understand is how he played so well on the road against Oakland, but then at home against Cleveland he sucked it up and looked completely out of sync. He doesn't look scared to me, he just looks like he is unsure of himself or what he wants to do. I seriously wonder what's happening behind closed doors with him and the coaching staff. My thinking is that they have lost all faith in him and it's starting to show. I guess time will tell.

Yeah I too am wondering if this just isn't coaching gone wild. Henne was fine last season but Oakland aside, he has totally lost it these last few games.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yea that happens when you get benched mid season. This is why I was so upset with Sparano a few weeks ago when he pulled the whole "we need a spark" bull crap with benching Henne. Now you have a kid that has no confidence in his game or the men that are supposed to be supporting and grooming him. I'd say Sparano's little scheme backfired on him badly. Chad was struggling before all that, now he is awful (Oakland aside).

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

He came darn close to losing it for us. That first fumble where he extended the ball out poorly with one hand in wet conditions had be tearing my hair out.
Yea, because Qbs often use both hands on a hand off.

Again, in wet conditions ball control is the utmost importance. He literally had it in one hand a split second after the snap and tried jogging it back to the running back. Two hands up until he got close to the back is what would've been more prudent.

Regardless his whole game was less than desirable sans one drive. Rain obviously has some effect, but we aren't talking torrential here .... he was still trying to squeeze passes in tight coverage and as always missing those out routes.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Yea that happens when you get benched mid season. This is why I was so upset with Sparano a few weeks ago when he pulled the whole "we need a spark" bull crap with benching Henne. Now you have a kid that has no confidence in his game or the men that are supposed to be supporting and grooming him. I'd say Sparano's little scheme backfired on him badly. Chad was struggling before all that, now he is awful (Oakland aside).

..... If what you say is true, then it goes to show you how little mental toughness the kid has. He missed all of what, 3-4 plays during that benching? You'd think it would've been one of those moments where smelled the roses in getting his job back.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

..... If what you say is true, then it goes to show you how little mental toughness the kid has. He missed all of what, 3-4 plays during that benching? You'd think it would've been one of those moments where smelled the roses in getting his job back.

Perhaps your right. All I know is that so far, the benching appears to have backfired. Time will tell......

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
I'd agree from a confidence standpoint, but that can be regained.

I agree. His confidence is shot at this point, and it can be regained. A day with no picks is a good start.

What I don't understand is how he played so well on the road against Oakland, but then at home against Cleveland he sucked it up and looked completely out of sync. He doesn't look scared to me, he just looks like he is unsure of himself or what he wants to do. I seriously wonder what's happening behind closed doors with him and the coaching staff. My thinking is that they have lost all faith in him and it's starting to show. I guess time will tell.[/quote]

Look at the all of the media fan attention devoted to throwing him out the last few weeks. Would your confidence not be shot? Wouldn't you be hesitant to throw the ball if your critics are yelling for your head for not being hesitant enough and throwing bad picks?

Most fans simply don't get it. We flip flop and base our criticisms on what we want to have seen rather than what is there. He gets bashed for everything. 3 or 4 weeks ago, he was being slammed for being to reckless with the ball and trying to force it; now he's criticized for not being forceful and daft enough. He's at a point where he can do nothing right. Of course he's hesitant. When everything you do is wrong according to criticism, being hesitant is the only logical thing that can happen. You need go no further than read these forums to see the inconsistency we are with our ciriticism of Henne. And the criticism here is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

Perhaps your right. All I know is that so far, the benching appears to have backfired. Time will tell......

Our OLine and lack of a consistent running game have as much to do with Henne's lack of execution this year as anything else.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ok so Henne vs Sanchez..... part whatever....

Sanchez gets more authority in his offensive scheme. To that note, he probably has a better grasp of his offense as well. Meanwhile, Henne is handcuffed, he has been trained not to lose rather than to play to win. Sanchez on the other hand is given the right to make his own decisions..... this is something the Jets broadcast. That their players have the right to make audibles, or to change the plays to what they see, but their coaching staff holds them accountable to those decisions. As to Henne, we dont know if its audible prevention, run-pass kill options, or just an overall scheme, but Henne is limited in his own offense, and the only time he really gets any input is when he's in the 2 minute offense, which luckily was not needed yesterday.

Production wise. Sanchez has a big target receiver, a speed receiver, a good possession receiver, and some all around pieces. Henne has a big target guy, one which has cost the offense a few penalties and was sidelined for 2 games. Not a knock on Marshall at all, but in comparison to Edwards, they are about even in terms of their role, and that is unfortunate because Marshall has been underperforming. As for the rest of the core, the Jets got the speedster and it has really helped, Santonio Holmes has closed out a few games for them just by his speed, meanwhile, we gave Ginn and the family away for a 5th, and I still think this is one of the biggest boneheaded decisions of this regime. That being said, Keller is easily a better safety valve TE than Fasano, and Tomlinson is a better receiving RB than Brown. All that combined, and you can easily state that Sanchez has the better pieces around him to succeed.... Couple that with the fact that their OL boasts all first round draft picks or whatever they are saying these days, and we went with the ALL WHITE discount OL this week. Makes you wonder. Sanchez has the better offense to work with in total, and on paper, so its no great feat to assess that he is having the better season.

Where they are at. The knock on Henne is his inconsistency. And with that, things should be stated. He is consistently inconsistent. He is good for at least one bone headed pass that "should" be picked off. After that, you can really take the blame off of him. Yes, he has alot of interceptions, but over the course of the season, i believe just over half of those have been tipped, deflected, or had a receiver not run the route correctly. That being said, Henne's numbers look dismal, especially when you figure that we have the lowest TD production in the NFL. With that though, if you watch Sanchez' game, he is reckless with the football. There are times where, he recognizes the blitzes, but once he does that, he just flings the ball to locations where receivers are supposed to be. The annomaly that Sean Smith dropped 3 picks? NO, it happens every week, and the Jets get lucky every time. Sanchez clearly drops gifts to the defenses ALL the time, and more frequently than Henne.... the thing is, a lot of those ducks have been dropped all season. On that note, it is obvious that Sanchez is a different quarterback in the elements, bad weather = bad Sanchez. As for Henne, the weather is a moot point, he is good or bad dependent on the game plan, or his own mojo, weather seems to have no affect on him. Yes, he threw for only 55 yards, and had a few fumble problems this week, but the weather wasnt what got to him, Sanchez was cold and uncomfortable on the sideline while Henne looked calm and collected. Anyone notice Sanchez was wearing his poncho most of the game, and Henne was strutting around with his hands folded across his chest, no jacket on?

Ok so as for the debate.... i'll give a H or S to a couple of issues
better talent around him: Sanchez
poise in the weather: Henne
better stats: Sanchez (by shear luck alone)
better scheme: Sanchez (Henne will have a new OC next season)
freedom in the offense: Sanchez
experience: Henne (Sanchez has more starts though)
potential: Henne (sorry, Henne has more to offer, Sanchez has shown all of his limitations and performed with them)
under pressure: Sanchez (his pocket pressence is superior)

This debate is biased in its own regards. Henne has been set up to fail in a Offense designed for the 1980's and noodle arm at QB. Henning will step down, and we will promote Lee or bring in some one. When this happens, we will see a new Henne, that you can be assured of. Not saying that the weapons arent there, but when Henne gets a MODERN offense, things will change....And this is not just me calling for Hennings head, I think Sparano knows that next season he is gonna need a new OC, one that can utilize Henne. But for the time being, while we are still in the playoff hunt, you have to ride or die by what you have, and the uncomfortable marriage of Henne and Henning will have to last 3 more weekends. Expect a change, and a new direction in offense. It is sorely needed, and we'll see what the product of it is next year.

As far as I am concerned. Sanchez has shown what his best is, and that is the beginning of the season. His best is nice, but is no elite product by any means. Does the early season Sanchez rank up there with the other elites? NO. He's been TD-less at home 3 of 7 games..... Matt Ryan has only lost at home once. Brady hasnt lost at home since like 2006. Big Ben finds ways to win with broken noses. Manning can play competitive football with high school receivers. Sanchez is dependent on a scheme, one which has capitolized on his playmakers abilities, and even with that, his collapse is realized once the weather goes sour. Its no secret that the Jets offense in the playoffs was to limit Sanchez and run the ball. I feel that that is gonna be the trend going forward because it is clear that he is not comfortable in the elements. As for Henne, I think we actually have seen the worst of him this year. With this offense a lackluster product in general, His stats show that he is mediocre at best. But this whole squad has under performed this season, and that aspect cannot be lost in the whole picture. Henne takes bad sacks, and does not have the pocket mobility of Sanchez, but Sanchez doesnt have Henne's rifle. In ego, and composure, I actually think Henne has Sanchez beat, Henne throws a pick and goes right back to work whether good or bad, Sanchez pouts like a school girl that got dumped. Going forward, Henne has a chance to put this discussion to rest, but as of right now, Sanchez is ahead slightly....

Henne 3
Sanchez 1

the wins dont lie though....

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Henne 3
Sanchez 1

Actually they do. I can only think of one game where Henne's play was more a direct result of us winning, that would be the first matchup. The second matchup, Ted Ginn won the day with back to back kick off returns. The third meeting, Henne played ok, but his turnovers hurt us and Sanchez out dueled him. This week came down to who had the better defense, Henne certainly did very little to warrant a win. Had you told me his completion % and yardage going into the game, I'd have said we got blown out.
That being said, I think both qbs have a rather uncertain future. Sanchez has performed marginally better, but he has had WAY better coaching, support, and players surrounding him.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:

Sanchez gets more authority in his offensive scheme. To that note, he probably has a better grasp of his offense as well. Meanwhile, Henne is handcuffed, he has been trained not to lose rather than to play to win. Sanchez on the other hand is given the right to make his own decisions..... this is something the Jets broadcast. That their players have the right to make audibles, or to change the plays to what they see, but their coaching staff holds them accountable to those decisions. As to Henne, we dont know if its audible prevention, run-pass kill options, or just an overall scheme, but Henne is limited in his own offense, and the only time he really gets any input is when he's in the 2 minute offense, which luckily was not needed yesterday.

Production wise. Sanchez has a big target receiver, a speed receiver, a good possession receiver, and some all around pieces. Henne has a big target guy, one which has cost the offense a few penalties and was sidelined for 2 games. Not a knock on Marshall at all, but in comparison to Edwards, they are about even in terms of their role, and that is unfortunate because Marshall has been underperforming. As for the rest of the core, the Jets got the speedster and it has really helped, Santonio Holmes has closed out a few games for them just by his speed, meanwhile, we gave Ginn and the family away for a 5th, and I still think this is one of the biggest boneheaded decisions of this regime. That being said, Keller is easily a better safety valve TE than Fasano, and Tomlinson is a better receiving RB than Brown. All that combined, and you can easily state that Sanchez has the better pieces around him to succeed.... Couple that with the fact that their OL boasts all first round draft picks or whatever they are saying these days, and we went with the ALL WHITE discount OL this week. Makes you wonder. Sanchez has the better offense to work with in total, and on paper, so its no great feat to assess that he is having the better season.

Where they are at. The knock on Henne is his inconsistency. And with that, things should be stated. He is consistently inconsistent. He is good for at least one bone headed pass that "should" be picked off. After that, you can really take the blame off of him. Yes, he has alot of interceptions, but over the course of the season, i believe just over half of those have been tipped, deflected, or had a receiver not run the route correctly. That being said, Henne's numbers look dismal, especially when you figure that we have the lowest TD production in the NFL. With that though, if you watch Sanchez' game, he is reckless with the football. There are times where, he recognizes the blitzes, but once he does that, he just flings the ball to locations where receivers are supposed to be. The annomaly that Sean Smith dropped 3 picks? NO, it happens every week, and the Jets get lucky every time. Sanchez clearly drops gifts to the defenses ALL the time, and more frequently than Henne.... the thing is, a lot of those ducks have been dropped all season. On that note, it is obvious that Sanchez is a different quarterback in the elements, bad weather = bad Sanchez. As for Henne, the weather is a moot point, he is good or bad dependent on the game plan, or his own mojo, weather seems to have no affect on him. Yes, he threw for only 55 yards, and had a few fumble problems this week, but the weather wasnt what got to him, Sanchez was cold and uncomfortable on the sideline while Henne looked calm and collected. Anyone notice Sanchez was wearing his poncho most of the game, and Henne was strutting around with his hands folded across his chest, no jacket on?

potential: Henne (sorry, Henne has more to offer, Sanchez has shown all of his limitations and performed with them)

This debate is biased in its own regards. Henne has been set up to fail in a Offense designed for the 1980's and noodle arm at QB. Henning will step down, and we will promote Lee or bring in some one. When this happens, we will see a new Henne, that you can be assured of. Not saying that the weapons arent there, but when Henne gets a MODERN offense, things will change....And this is not just me calling for Hennings head, I think Sparano knows that next season he is gonna need a new OC, one that can utilize Henne. But for the time being, while we are still in the playoff hunt, you have to ride or die by what you have, and the uncomfortable marriage of Henne and Henning will have to last 3 more weekends. Expect a change, and a new direction in offense. It is sorely needed, and we'll see what the product of it is next year.

As far as I am concerned. Sanchez has shown what his best is, and that is the beginning of the season. His best is nice, but is no elite product by any means. Does the early season Sanchez rank up there with the other elites? NO. He's been TD-less at home 3 of 7 games..... Matt Ryan has only lost at home once. Brady hasnt lost at home since like 2006. Big Ben finds ways to win with broken noses. Manning can play competitive football with high school receivers. Sanchez is dependent on a scheme, one which has capitolized on his playmakers abilities, and even with that, his collapse is realized once the weather goes sour. Its no secret that the Jets offense in the playoffs was to limit Sanchez and run the ball. I feel that that is gonna be the trend going forward because it is clear that he is not comfortable in the elements. As for Henne, I think we actually have seen the worst of him this year. With this offense a lackluster product in general, His stats show that he is mediocre at best. But this whole squad has under performed this season, and that aspect cannot be lost in the whole picture. Henne takes bad sacks, and does not have the pocket mobility of Sanchez, but Sanchez doesnt have Henne's rifle. In ego, and composure, I actually think Henne has Sanchez beat, Henne throws a pick and goes right back to work whether good or bad, Sanchez pouts like a school girl that got dumped. Going forward, Henne has a chance to put this discussion to rest, but as of right now, Sanchez is ahead slightly....

Henne 3
Sanchez 1

Again with the "Henne is completely handcuffed and has no authority to audible" BS?

For goodness sakes . . .

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
meanwhile, we gave Ginn and the family away for a 5th, and I still think this is one of the biggest boneheaded decisions of this regime.

Ted Ginn has played 10 games and has a whole 7 receptions for 86 yards.

When are we gonna get just a smidge of perspective around here?

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

SkyHigh314 wrote:

Henne 3
Sanchez 1

i think the wins are misleading. the refs handed them the game vs. denver, julian peterson handed them the game vs detroit and chancey stuckey handed them the game vs cleveland. that is 3 guaranteed losses

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Both quarterbacks are inconsistent, both guys could be replaced after this season if things don't improve for them. As for Henne, he has a lot of talent but he makes way too many mistakes. If he is ever going to be the Dolphins franchise quarterback then he will need to stop throwing those costly interceptions that lose us football games. When Henne doesn't turn the ball over we win every time. He's 7-0 when he doesn't throw an interception. The key to Henne's game is reducing those interceptions. If the light could go on for this guy he could be great, unfortunately the window of opportunity for him is growing smaller by the day and he could be outta there before he every truly develops.
What I would like to see is us go after Josh McDaniels and let him replace Dan Henning after the season. McDaniels has a reputation for turning quarterbacks into touchdown/yardage machines. Maybe Henne could thrive in a new system that plays to his strengths?

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
What I would like to see is us go after Josh McDaniels and let him replace Dan Henning after the season. McDaniels has a reputation for turning quarterbacks into touchdown/yardage machines. Maybe Henne could thrive in a new system that plays to his strengths?

So you're okay with losing both Nolan AND B Marshall?

They didn't leave/get banished from Denver just because. I'll give you the reason why and it starts with "M" and ends in "cDaniels".

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

wkloiber13 wrote:
Both quarterbacks are inconsistent, both guys could be replaced after this season if things don't improve for them. As for Henne, he has a lot of talent but he makes way too many mistakes. If he is ever going to be the Dolphins franchise quarterback then he will need to stop throwing those costly interceptions that lose us football games. When Henne doesn't turn the ball over we win every time. He's 7-0 when he doesn't throw an interception. The key to Henne's game is reducing those interceptions. If the light could go on for this guy he could be great, unfortunately the window of opportunity for him is growing smaller by the day and he could be outta there before he every truly develops.

All due respect wk, no, please no! No Mc Daniels, unless like eleaf said you want to loose Nolan and Marshall in the process.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Biggest difference between Sanchez and Henne is that Henne's issues can, and I stress CAN, be corrected. That does not mean they will for all of those who would label that statement as "apologist."

No matter how confident Sanchez wants to be, his arm is a liability in tough weather. Its the growing concern a lot of analysts discuss.

Will either prove to be "the guy" for their teams? Time will tell.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Biggest difference between Sanchez and Henne is that Henne's issues can, and I stress CAN, be corrected. That does not mean they will for all of those who would label that statement as "apologist."

No matter how confident Sanchez wants to be, his arm is a liability in tough weather. Its the growing concern a lot of analysts discuss.

Professor Jammer .... how can the issues be corrected ....

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

eleaf wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:
meanwhile, we gave Ginn and the family away for a 5th, and I still think this is one of the biggest boneheaded decisions of this regime.

Ted Ginn has played 10 games and has a whole 7 receptions for 86 yards.

When are we gonna get just a smidge of perspective around here?

people only remember the 2 games he helped win.
They forget all the drops and tucks out of bounds that cost us games

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Professor Jammer .... how can the issues be corrected ....

Funny you call me that because I actually used to teach history at a university...

That is what coaches are for, not Monday Morning QBs like Professor Jammer or Mr Sexton.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Funny you call me that because I actually used to teach history at a university...

That is what coaches are for, not Monday Morning QBs like Professor Jammer or Mr Sexton.

.... but you keep saying "His faults are correctable" as if it's just some quick band aid. I'm curious how it is you think it's correctable and how they'll go about it.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

.... but you keep saying "His faults are correctable" as if it's just some quick band aid. I'm curious how it is you think it's correctable and how they'll go about it.

I think his problem is reading defenses and the game slowing down for him. It takes time, something he may not have if Miami's patience has run out. Never did I say it was some band aid. I've said before its not going to happen this season when every week is just preparation for the next game. He needs to do some serious work in the offseason.

How they'll go about it, my guess is continue the repetition of reviewing film and practice. Maybe start with the John Beck approach where they had him throwing a ton of passes every day when the season ended to evaluate where he was at and how he was progressing.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

They can start with fixing our oline and running game issues. That, more than anything else, will help Henne in his progress.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Im still saying , sooner than later they are both remember when trivia questions.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2