View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Kyle Orton? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Kyle Orton?
NFLJunkie wrote:
No defense, no running game but its all Orton's fault. Great Defense, marginal running game but Henne gets one excuse after another.

IMHO Orton or Tebow will be available after the season. I'd grab etiher one at the moment.

Last I checked there were about 4 or 5 people here still looking to give Henne a chance and the majority ripping him apart for not taking the next step yet despite a mediocre supporting cast.

Every time Henne does something its because he got lucky, his opponent was sub par, the receiver bailed him out...

I think you need to reexamine where the majority is going.

Funny how Orton didn't do much until he worked with a modern, successful OC.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

whys everyone discussing trading for orton when hes a free agent after this season... isnt he?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

dolfan24 wrote:
whys everyone discussing trading for orton when hes a free agent after this season... isnt he?

Nope. He's got 2 more years on his deal.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:44 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

McNabb ???

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

How long has Orton been in the league? 6 years.
How long did he take to develop? 4 to 5 years.
How long has Henne been in the league? 3 years. (not quite two as starter)
How long should we give him to develop?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:59 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
20 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.
I'd take that kind of overrated all day

I'll leave behind 3-9, thankyouverymuch.

Didn't realize he was a one man team. I guess with Denver's top ranked defense:

27th in yards allowed
22nd in passing yards allowed
31st in rushing yards allowed
30th in points allowed

And with their top notch running game

29th in rushing yards

A guy like Orton should have them undefeated!

LOL -- well put

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Phin wrote:

If Kyle Orton is what Henne will be in 3 years, then it's time to find a new guy to develop.

Orton is average at best.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:

didnt Orton have the Bears undefeated late in the season in his first year as a starter?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:02 am

swerve13 wrote:
Phin wrote:

didnt Orton have the Bears undefeated late in the season in his first year as a starter?

Nope.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Phin wrote:

Nope.

led by rookie Kyle Orton the Bears went on an 8-game win streak and finished the season 11-5

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 am

Thought you were talking about their 2006 year where they were undefeated for a good portion of it. The way you used the word undefeated got me confused.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Thought you were talking about their 2006 year where they were undefeated for a good portion of it. The way you used the word undefeated got me confused.

I knew they won a butt-load of games when he was a rookie QB.
He's always been an underrated QB

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

His numbers weren't too hot his first few years in the league. Matter of fact, he didn't play a game his sophomore season. It wasn't till Orton's fourth year that he put up respectable numbers. By his fifth year he was putting up very nice numbers, and this year he is doing very well. If he continues to improve, he might be considered a franchise player. At this point in time, with a solid team around him, I would take Orton as my qb; or Henne IF he were able to replicate Orton's success. I don't need to have a Dan Marino before I am satisfied with a player. Let's face it, the idea of replicating a player like Marino to play for the same franchise is astronomical. It just hasn't happened very often (Montana and Young are the only ones that come to my mind). What we need is a solid player who can hold the position down and who doesn't lose games for us.
So with that in mind, how long do we give Henne to be that guy? There is no right or wrong answer here, it's a matter of opinion. I'd like to hear some reasonable and well thought out discussion/ideas here. Not lopsided illogical extreme arguments that have Henne painted as either a superhero or dirt farmer.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:46 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:

Hey Phins Rock, do you agree Blaine Gabbert is a good choice to sit while Henne plays and competes with a veteran (Orton)? He seems like a QB with all the tools but would benefit from sitting 2 years.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:53 am

MdDolfan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Hey Phins Rock, do you agree Blaine Gabbert is a good choice to sit while Henne plays and competes with a veteran (Orton)? He seems like a QB with all the tools but would benefit from sitting 2 years.

Read my sig. :ann0y:

He was a huge thing when he was sitting behind Chase Daniels at Mizzou...still have the ESPN the Mag with him on the cover. Finally got his shot last year and lit it up. His numbers dipped this year, (not sure why), but like you said he's got all the tools.

With recent reports that Andrew Luck won't be coming out early, Gabbert should come out. To me he would then be the best QB prospect available. I have a couple of his games on the DVR to watch and am also really looking forward to seeing what he can do against Iowa's Defense; I'll post what I gather in the draft forum afterwards.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:54 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

If Kyle Orton is what Henne will be in 3 years, then it's time to find a new guy to develop.

Are you looking at the same freakin numbers as everyone else?

I swear you just throw opinionated dribble out just to get a word in... the guy is posting great numbers but he's "average at best"... hell I'd 100% take the insurance of having Orton here to push Henne... especially if it's only going to cost a 2nd round pick.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:06 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Are you looking at the same freakin numbers as everyone else?

I swear you just throw opinionated dribble out just to get a word in... the guy is posting great numbers but he's "average at best"... hell I'd 100% take the insurance of having Orton here to push Henne... especially if it's only going to cost a 2nd round pick.

Bronco fans want his head. His numbers are a product of the offense.

Even with that he's 17th in the NFL in QB rating. Again he's just average.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If 20 Touchdowns vs 9 picks and will probably throw for over 4,000 yards and a QB rating of 87.5 is considered average, what do we consider calling Chad Henne at 13 TDS and 15 picks and 2600 yards and a 76.5 rating? My feel is Orton is not our franchise QB, but if we even got him and kept Henne and Orton beat him out for the starting job and then we draft another young QB, I could live with Kyle Orton for a year or two, especially compared to what we have now. He makes far less mental mistakes than Henne and Orton and can time his deep pass well.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Orton is doing well on a currently putrid team. I think he is a big step up from Henne. This team would probably be 9-4 or better with Orton as the QB. If we could get him for a 2nd round pick...that would be a steal.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Bronco fans thoughts on Orton....

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthr ... ight=orton

That's from a simple search. There are like 10 threads from the past 2 weeks on how much Orton stinks.

I wouldn't go that far, but again, he's very average at best.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

That is a weaksauce argument against the guy PR. Don't post 'fan' opinions as some sort of credible source. Read the numbers, the guy is above average. I'm not saying we should go get him, but don't sit there and tell me the kid is 'very average', that's simply not going to fly.
The Broncos have lost because they have a horrid defense, a horrible running game, and mediocre receivers. The fact that Orton has posted the numbers he has in that Broncos offense, attests to the level of talent the kid has. He is no Manning, Brees, Brady, Ryan, Rivers, or Rodgers, but he may be in the realm of Cutler, Shaub, or any other number of "B" grade qbs. Ya know what? With a solid rushing attack, decent receivers, and a stingy defense, a B grade qb is more than adequate to win games. Our problem is that as of right now, Henne is a C to D grade qb, our receivers are underperforming, our oline is a revolving door who cant run block, and our offensive coordinator is more senile than the Alzheimer's wing at the local nursing home.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why did you delete your reply to my post?
Could it be those average to mediocre receivers have looked better than they really are because Orton has made them look so?
I worked all summer with guys from Denver and I talked to them about their Broncos. They said that the receivers were nothing all too special and that Orton was making them look good. Now that is no more an argument or proof that I am right than what you posted in this forum already. My point in bringing it up is that fan opinions vary and offer little or nothing in the way of credible sources for formulating a cohesive argument one way or another.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

seriously, where has Brandon Lloyd been for 4 years?
then he gets with Orton and has a Pro Bowl season

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Gotta wonder if any fans from other teams are writing about Henne on their boards. I mean just as we speculate about other QB's that are signed but might be available because of lack of tolerance for poor play doesnt Henne fit into that boat as well. If we would go after a Orton , McNab or Young & sign one I could easily see us getting rid of Henne or him even requesting a trade. I just wonder if there are any "what about Henne threads" on some other fan sites with teams that will need a QB.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
I just wonder if there are any "what about Henne threads" on some other fan sites with teams that will need a QB.

I wouldn't doubt it. I think generally speaking most fans are more intolerant of their own players than they are of other team's players.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Read my sig. :ann0y:

He was a huge thing when he was sitting behind Chase Daniels at Mizzou...still have the ESPN the Mag with him on the cover. Finally got his shot last year and lit it up. His numbers dipped this year, (not sure why), but like you said he's got all the tools.

With recent reports that Andrew Luck won't be coming out early, Gabbert should come out. To me he would then be the best QB prospect available. I have a couple of his games on the DVR to watch and am also really looking forward to seeing what he can do against Iowa's Defense; I'll post what I gather in the draft forum afterwards.

I'm very interested too, when is the game? Post some video of him when you get a chance. All the scouts say he should stay in school though.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:40 pm

I would make a highlight video. Unfortunately the TV that I have the DVR set up on and the TV I have my recording stuff set up in are separate.

Here's a good video of him. Shows all of his throws against Nevada, so it isn't just a highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BB0mwO ... re=related

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

according to the numbers on the bronco's site, Orton's rating is 58.4 in the 4th quarter when they are within 7 points.... so he basically sucks when the game is still close and gets alot of his numbers during garbage time....thanks, I will pass !!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:06 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
I swear you just throw opinionated dribble out just to get a word in...

You noticed that too. And it's getting worse.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 am

Phins Rock wrote:

Who cares?

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Who cares?

So you see more of Orton than they do?

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Gotta wonder if any fans from other teams are writing about Henne on their boards. I mean just as we speculate about other QB's that are signed but might be available because of lack of tolerance for poor play doesnt Henne fit into that boat as well. If we would go after a Orton , McNab or Young & sign one I could easily see us getting rid of Henne or him even requesting a trade. I just wonder if there are any "what about Henne threads" on some other fan sites with teams that will need a QB.
most likely Cardinals fans, 49ers fans and Vikings fans.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
FINesse wrote:
I just wonder if there are any "what about Henne threads" on some other fan sites with teams that will need a QB.

I wouldn't doubt it. I think generally speaking most fans are more intolerant of their own players than they are of other team's players.

This. Surely somewhere, there is a guy saying "Henne is on the hot seat. We should bring him in. He's young and has no running game . . ."

Fans are almost always less tolerant of their own players than those from other teams. We still have guys here who think Sanchez is better than Henne when the numbers for this season without question show otherwise. The Jets would be a LOCK to go to the playoffs by now if they had a decent QB.

But since Sanchez has a better team around him, most like to simply dismiss his flaws (until their embarrasing loss to the Pats, and one to us, and the one they're going to get today).

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Why would we trade for Orton hes a Free Agent next year.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:39 am

ggippo wrote:
Why would we trade for Orton hes a Free Agent next year.

He's under contract through 2012.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Orton has been benched.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:08 am

Phins Rock wrote:

Has nothing to do with my comment. No one here except you cares about what Broncos fans have to say.

It doesn't matter if I see Orton more than them or not, their opinion is not the end all be all, yet you use it as some sort of argument to end the discussion when it's far from it.

Philly fans hated McNabb despite getting them to four NFC championship games and a Superbowl. He's probably one of the top 3 QBs in the history of the franchise and yet they couldn't stand him.

The point here is fans opinions have limited, if any, value. I'd be more interested in the opinions of football experts in regards to what type of QB Orton is.

If the best you can do is go to fan forums and nitpick what some pissed off fans of a losing team think, then like someone else said before, that's weak sauce.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:

Well put...

This team needs a vet leader behind center. Someone with some ba11s and ability...

He doesnt have to be Brady or Manning like, just needs to be able to make decisions and make the throws..
Henne cant do either at this point. He is still developing, but the team has passed him. He was supposed to develop with the team as a unit.
This staff has given him all the tools. two of the best at their positon, Marshall and Bess. A young WR in Hartline, Ricky & Ronnie.
Fasano has made some nice catches in traffic and put his body on the line to get the extra 1 - 2 yards..

Even the new guy ran a great route to get behind the CB, Henne over threw AGAIN!!! That throw alone cost us the game....

Anyone holding onto the idea that Henne will develop should get ready to buy a new Jersey, cause I doubt he has a chance to do it here..

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Orton is average at best... on a deplorable team.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Has nothing to do with my comment. No one here except you cares about what Broncos fans have to say.

It doesn't matter if I see Orton more than them or not, their opinion is not the end all be all, yet you use it as some sort of argument to end the discussion when it's far from it.

Philly fans hated McNabb despite getting them to four NFC championship games and a Superbowl. He's probably one of the top 3 QBs in the history of the franchise and yet they couldn't stand him.

The point here is fans opinions have limited, if any, value. I'd be more interested in the opinions of football experts in regards to what type of QB Orton is.

If the best you can do is go to fan forums and nitpick what some pissed off fans of a losing team think, then like someone else said before, that's weak sauce.

On NFL Network Playbook the other day (this week's edition in case you feel like watching) they were talking about the Broncos' problems this season, and they mentioned how bad Orton has been on 3rd down, how he panics against the blitz and fails to go through his progressions...Same thing Bronco fans are saying.

The guy is not a franchise QB, or even a solid one. He's mediocre at best. Is he an improvement over Henne? Sure. But not worthy of a 2nd or even 3rd round pick as far as I'm concerned.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next