View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Amid labor uncertainty, Dolphins' impending free agents feel 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Amid labor uncertainty, Dolphins' impending free agents feel
Quote:

I'm a little nervous and on edge," Dolphins defensive end Tony McDaniel admitted. "I really don't want to go into free agency, but at the end of the day if I have to experience it I've just got to deal with it. But I don't want to be sitting at home with no job, no team."

As a result, numerous issues (18-game season, benefits for retired players, rookie salary cap, etc.) must be settled before the next batch of free agents find new teams, and get new deals. And there's widespread uncertainty about which players will be unrestricted, and who are restricted free agents? Will there be franchise tags, and what happens with exclusive-rights free agents?

With fear setting in, some teams are starting to use the uncertainty to coerce—if not strong-arm—players into signing extensions instead of testing the open market.

Starting tailback Ronnie Brown, who signed a one-year tenure worth $3.97 million last offseason, is seeking a multi-year deal that will carry him into the twilight of his career. Problem is, the Dolphins haven't made him a single offer

Ricky Williams, who earns $4.35 million this season, also is in the same pool of impending Dolphins free agents, as is the Dolphins' entire backfield (Lex Hilliard, Patrick Cobbs and Kory Sheets all have expiring contracts).

The NFLPA has instructed players to save their final three game checks because it should help them get through the lean days of labor negotiations this spring.

Owners have deeper pockets than players, and smart money says this looming lockout's loser likely will be the side that blinks first.

Will it be the billionaire owners, who must deal with an angry fan base, one already struggling to survive a recession? Or will it be the millionaire athletes, who could buckle to the pressure from pending bills for that new Benz, or the spacious five-bedroom home?

"They keep reminding us save, save because we don't know what's going to happen," said nose tackle Paul Soliai, another free agent. "We don't know how long it'll last. I'm trying to be prepared."

Omar Kelly can be reached at okelly@sunsentinel.com and read regularly on the Dolphins blog at sunsentinel.com/dolphins.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:06 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Amid labor uncertainty, Dolphins' impending free agents feel
Hearing these guys yap about potential money problems is friggin' BS. "I'm trying to be prepared" with my multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars I made this year makes me want to puke.

Shut up and play football.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Hearing these guys yap about potential money problems is friggin' BS. "I'm trying to be prepared" with my multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars I made this year makes me want to puke.

Shut up and play football.

Ya no doubt .....

Did you see the comments Mike Tomlin and Ward from the Steelers had about the fines on LB James Harrison? Said that he had his kids colleges to pay for. Dude makes $13 million per.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
Starting tailback Ronnie Brown, who signed a one-year tenure worth $3.97 million last offseason, is seeking a multi-year deal that will carry him into the twilight of his career. Problem is, the Dolphins haven't made him a single offer
Ricky Williams, who earns $4.35 million this season, also is in the same pool of impending Dolphins free agents, as is the Dolphins' entire backfield (Lex Hilliard, Patrick Cobbs and Kory Sheets all have expiring contracts).

Since the two back system isnt working we are going to try the no back system next :)

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Did you see the comments Mike Tomlin and Ward from the Steelers had about the fines on LB James Harrison? Said that he had his kids colleges to pay for. Dude makes $13 million per.

Nothing was ever more pathetic than Patrick Ewing, while wearing an Armani suit, saying about the NBA strike (in that oh-so-close-to-English language he speaks): "We gots to put food on dah table."

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:24 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

They talk about "putting food on the table" every freakin sunday on NFL Network. I love Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin, but when they start with that bs it makes me cringe.

Try talking to someone who's making 40,000 a year supporting a family of 5 about putting "food on a table" before you start crying about your millions...

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]