View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fans still have hope in Henne 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Fans still have hope in Henne
Quote:
But I still say priority No. 1 is getting a quarterback

My case was that, unfortunately, Henne isn't The Guy. He's been around nearly three years. He's had 25 starts (including the Tennessee game he came in on the third play).

He has been up and mostly down, has accuracy and judgment issues, was benched by the very coaches who lose the most by benching him and last Sunday again proved with a dismal 37 quarterback rating why they did it.

I figured this column would anger some inside the team. But this has been a disappointing season. It wouldn't be the worst thing if some of them got mad. I figured it wouldn't sit well with coach Tony Sparano, who, even though he benched Henne, still has to count on him.

I just didn't expect most fans to be upset. It wasn't Henne's fault, they said. The blame fell to (a) offensive coordinator Dan Henning; (b) the running game; (c) the offensive line; (d) all of the above.

A few got personal. "Henning is just too old,'' as one said.

A few got emotional. "You want to ruin Christmas, too?" as one wrote.

A few even did research. A common idea was to compare Henne's 24 touchdowns and 29 interceptions through the early years of some greats. Terry Bradshaw had 19 touchdowns and 46 interceptions. Bob Griese, 36-34. Steve Young: 24-24. Drew Brees: 28-31. Brett Favre: 37-37.

"All of these guys are Hall of Famers or will be,'' one wrote. "Lighten up."

As I read through the e-mails, as I digested the comments, it didn't so much change my view on Henne. It uplifted my thought of fans, though. Especially these fans for whom it's been such an unsatisfying ride of late.

Everyone talks of its great history. And it's true. But sports is mainly about the moment. And this team hasn't provided many moments to this generation of fans. Do you realize Dec. 30 marks the 10-year anniversary of Lamar Smith's overtime run and the Dolphins' last post-season win?

So fans want something to cheer for even as they watch the playoffs drift away again. They want to think the biggest problem for this franchise over the last decade isn't back to square one.

They believe in Henne. Or they want to, anyhow. And that belief is the most precious commodity any franchise can have.

Sparano said how I feel after the Oakland win. He's the one that benched Henne, remember.

"I want someone to go out and make me wrong,'' Sparano said. "I have no problem with that."

I don't regret the column at all. And the stats of those greats? Well, perspective is critical. But A.J. Feeley got eight Dolphin starts and threw 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. John Beck got three starts with one TD and three interceptions.

We could go on. Henne should get four more starts. Maybe that builds some confidence and solves some issues for him. And do I hope, like Sparano, Henne goes out and proves me wrong? You bet.

But would you stake next season to it?

That's why Priority No. 1 remains getting a quarterback this off-season.

Dave Hyde can be reached at dhyde@sun-sentinel.com or davehydesports@twitter.com.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 736.column

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:30 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Re: Fans still have hope in Henne
Is it just me or does it bother anyone else that the first thing Henne (lookin like a grown up version of Dewey ,that kid from Malcome in the middle) says during his postgame sunday is "ya its fustrating, but its not life or death". Sometimes i wish this guy would show a little emotion, It just seems his not gonna let things get to me attitude, is not workin. :jests:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Fans still have hope in Henne
canukfinfan wrote:
Is it just me or does it bother anyone else that the first thing Henne (lookin like a grown up version of Dewey ,that kid from Malcome in the middle) says during his postgame sunday is "ya its fustrating, but its not life or death". Sometimes i wish this guy would show a little emotion, It just seems his not gonna let things get to me attitude, is not workin. :jests:

I'm sure some folks want him to be a fiery, emotional guy, but that is not is personality. The life or death comment isn't the greatest, but after the Oakland game he mentioned that his new approach is not killing himself over mistakes because it has caused his game to tense up. Maybe it isn't coming across as well, but it seems like an attempt to have a short memory and not let mistakes ruin your aggressive approach as a QB.

I'm less worried about his comments and more concerned with how teammates are reacting and responding to him as their QB.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]