View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Stay Patient 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Stay Patient
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/06/1 ... a-bit.html

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Stay Patient
Depressing article reminding us that even if he's not the answer, a viable alternative is not going to be easy to come by .... and least not without a major draft day move ..... and this guy definitely needs camp competition at this point as he has done nothing to merit an automatic starting nod next year.

Even if he plays decently in the coming games, they mean virtually nothing due to our squandered playoff chances ..... mathematics or not. Actually no wait .... two of the games definitely won't. I have brief curiosity to see what kind of Henne shows up to NY or NE.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sure, stick with Henne, but why is it all or nothing? San Diego drafted Rivers when they had Brees, then Brees became great and then they had two guys that could be great. Just because we stick with Henne doesn't mean Miami can't still go find someone else to back him up. Henne is not bad...but he hasn't shown he can be any more than above average yet. I'd like to hope the Drew Brees creeps up in him, but Brees is such an anomaly in every category that he's essentially the only exception of A-guys to succeed coming out of a spread offense, B-guys that played well after being put on the cover of Madden, C-guys that succeeded at a high level at 6 foot, D-reconstructive shoulder injury and still be an all pro, etc.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I liked the realistic approach the article took. There isn't much Miami can do other than be patient with Henne unless they want to dump the regime and QB. Like it or not, Sparano and Ireland are tied to Henne. I think its fairly certain they draft a QB early next year and probably a guy with a good grade who falls a bit...much like Henne did in 2008. Its the smart move to make.

There is a lot to like about Henne and a lot to be concerned about. No doubt his execution must improve. But in looking at all 25 games he has played, he has done more good than bad, and has kept Miami in many of those games. He's going through a slump. A lot guys go through it and can bounce back.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just another thing to consider, Henne was praised for bringing Miami back into games last year. He is capable of being a clutch QB and winning games for the team. Its part of the reason why he was the unquestioned starter going into 2010.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't want another late round QB pick...or a guy whose stock is slipping. Usually, their stock slips for a good reason (or two, or more). The team had several chances to use high picks for offensive talent and instead piled up on beef for both the offensive and defensive line. Most of the beef seems to be injured or traded, or simply cut, these days. I would hope the next draft will be mostly devoted to offense, especially in regards to increasing the unit's speed and explosiveness. If we aren't going to get one of the top QB's, then maybe we can get a top running back like Vereen?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:54 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Totally disagree !!! We need to stop acting like the last few 2nd or 3rd round draft picks are great. They are not, they suck !!! But our owner wont spend the money, lets just accept it !! He rather put millions into making the stadium a night club before he does that !! Thats when I wish the Dolphins owner had a little Jerry Jones in him, Jones will spend whatever it takes to bring in the talent !!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

LA Fins Fan wrote:
Totally disagree !!! We need to stop acting like the last few 2nd or 3rd round draft picks are great. They are not, they suck !!! But our owner wont spend the money, lets just accept it !! He rather put millions into making the stadium a night club before he does that !! Thats when I wish the Dolphins owner had a little Jerry Jones in him, Jones will spend whatever it takes to bring in the talent !!

Salary cap?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

ah, stay patient... I was very patient when Marino was throwin for 400 every other game and the team was a legit contender every year, I was patient when Jay Fielder was doin his best with not much to work with but still winning 10-11 games a year despite wanny, I was even patient through the Cameltoe Cameron and Saben era, cause I knew we were not that good, but as a 46 year old die hard who latched on to this team as a tot when they lost to some old guy in a nice fedora in 71, Ive finally (almost) lost my crap watchin this team, this year ive seen this team loose more games with more talent then any dolphin team Ive seen. Ive seen the secondary drop 4 pick sixes, 2 in games we won ,1 in a game that could of turned the game around and one that could of won the game, Ive seen calls for runs on 3rd and 8,10 and 11 consistently, dosent the title Head Coach mean you can say to your co-ordinator every now and then " hey were not running up the middle again we need a f en first down" im real glad everyone had a great week at practice and the defence played their tails off again, but untill you get a qb who does think its life or death every now an then this team is goin no where, i make 30,000yr and go to work on mondays feelin like crap most weeks( I may need a support group) Tony I wanna like you, but untill you start makin some people accountable( secondary that cant catch, co-ordinators (offensive) that cant playcall, quarterbacks with there heads not in the game, and lets not forget star recievers that just are not ready to go, in the do or die must win games, because there embarassed droped ball stupid penalty butt hasnt healed yet, its funny star players on good teams play through that stuff, Oh i know Tony It was your decision, dont ever throw anyone under the bus. But just remember When the bus runs out of gas and misses too many stops, Its usally the driver that gets canned, and thats you Tony.

Last edited by canukfinfan on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

LA Fins Fan wrote:

I guess the Dansby and Marshall contracts weren't enough for you. Or before last year when they gave big contracts to Carey, Bell and Crowder.

Absolutely nothing to do with money.

As for the picks...Merling, Murphy, White, and Turner have disappointed. Jury is still out on Jerry and Misi. Odrick was doing well until Hurt. Henne has a winning record in his first two seasons and has shown signs of being very good. Hartline, Davis, Smith and Langford have been productive. Long is perhaps the best tackle in the league. There are your four round picks through the first three years. Hits and misses, which should be expected.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:09 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Sure, stick with Henne, but why is it all or nothing? San Diego drafted Rivers when they had Brees, then Brees became great and then they had two guys that could be great. Just because we stick with Henne doesn't mean Miami can't still go find someone else to back him up. Henne is not bad...but he hasn't shown he can be any more than above average yet. I'd like to hope the Drew Brees creeps up in him, but Brees is such an anomaly in every category that he's essentially the only exception of A-guys to succeed coming out of a spread offense, B-guys that played well after being put on the cover of Madden, C-guys that succeeded at a high level at 6 foot, D-reconstructive shoulder injury and still be an all pro, etc.

I agree just because you draft a QB does not mean that you have to kick Henne to the curb. If he starts to produce great if he doesn't then you have the next guy waiting in the wings.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

20 plus years now ... Dolphin fans can only have patience.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
20 plus years now ... Dolphin fans can only have patience.

Along with virtually every other fan of every other team in the league.

Can we stop pretending that we're the only team that does win a SB every other year? The self pity should be embarrassing. Heck, I'm embarrassed for you.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This team is rebuilding, takes time. I know they thought they were farther along and had high expectations this season but the evidence shows they are not.

O-line really has only one permanent fixture with Long. Carey will stay but the injuries/mobility issues are a problem.

D-line has nice DE's and a NT who may have turned a corner.

RBs...do I have to even discuss what needs to be done there?

QB needs to be reassessed and competition needs to be brought in.

Secondary has potential but has cost this team a lot of points, both offensively with dropped picks and defensively.

LBs have nice cornerstones in Dansby and Wake but questions remain with Crowder and the youth.

WRs/TEs are not exactly elite beyond Marshall and solid performances by Bess.

STs...besides Carpenter do I even half to discuss that?

The answers may already be on this team. But a lot of these guys are only in their 3rd season or less so it is difficult to be anything other than patient.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It isn't being patient for a Super Bowl win.....I don't expect that to happen that often. I do expect the team to make the playoffs and win a playoff game every so often though. Our last playoff win was in 2000 and our last AFC championship was in 1984. I expect a little better than that. The Dolphins once had a winning tradition and it would be nice to see that return.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]