View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 OG Pat McQuistan unseated a healthy OG John Jerry 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post OG Pat McQuistan unseated a healthy OG John Jerry
Quote:
Dolphins ORG Competition
Tue Dec 7, 2010

The Sun Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins OG Pat McQuistan unseated a healthy OG John Jerry to win the starting right guard spot last week, and it appears the battle between the fifth-year veteran and the team's third-round draft pick will continue. Sunday's game was McQuistan's fifth start for the Dolphins. "We'd kind of been bouncing Pat [McQuistan] and John around a little bit and I felt like this was a game where Pat might have played just a little bit better," HC Tony Sparano said.

www.ffmastermind.com

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: OG Pat McQuistan unseated a healthy OG John Jerry
Doesn't this just show you how incompetent the player personnel decisions have been the past couple of seasons? Where's Donald Thomas, Jake Grove, Smiley or Satele...instead we get Pat McQuistan ... a Dallas reject beating out our road grading John Jerry from the draft. Nice.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:12 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

satele was not from sip..thomas was a 6th rounder...free agents smiley...played good last year...grove had injuries....lets not bring up wake...udfa bess...5th rounders clemons and jones and carrol...junkie it seems like u hate everything about the Phins....why be a fan then...???

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's the 2nd round QBs that are eating at me ;p

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Doesn't this just show you how incompetent the player personnel decisions have been the past couple of seasons? Where's Donald Thomas, Jake Grove, Smiley or Satele...instead we get Pat McQuistan ... a Dallas reject beating out our road grading John Jerry from the draft. Nice.

Has to be one of the biggest knocks on Sparano and Ireland. They preached building a great running game with a solid o-line. They needed a guy who was already here and a first overall pick to find two guys that will stick. Not a good track record.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 pm

dolphan74 wrote:
satele was not from sip..thomas was a 6th rounder...free agents smiley...played good last year...grove had injuries....lets not bring up wake...udfa bess...5th rounders clemons and jones and carrol...junkie it seems like u hate everything about the Phins....why be a fan then...???

The thread was about offensive tackles being brought in via FA. It wasn't about WR's, FA in general and the defense. Who can say anything bad about the defense? Miami had a mauling OL last season and even when the injured vets were sidelined guys were plugged in and it kept going. Someone decided to "upgrade" this unit in the off-season. I'm not liking the upgrades. "Satele was not from sip"...Huh??? Satele was traded because he played with a bum shoulder and someone wanted a "tough" guy at center. So they paid Jake Grove a lot of money. He lived up to his oft injured nature and they had Berger beat him out in camp..so why cut Grove? Money? Grove would've made a nice insurance policy against Chicago a few weeks back. No one can sit there and criticize the talent they're building here but at the same time they sure have a quick trigger finger on some folks. Folks that could've helped.

Satele at Guard
Roth/Taylor at OLB opposite of Wake
Smiley/Grove at backup G/C
Ginn at KR
JA on ST's
Why put Will Allen on IR when he could've went to the PUP
Why put Odrick on IR with a break which takes 6 weeks max to heal.
Why trade Camarillo (with Hartline's injury that move is surely going to hurt)

I already stated at the beginning of the season that Mike Nolan would be the best pickup of the off-season. Who can argue Bess isn't an elite slot WR? Bottom line is yeah they've done a lot of things right but they've shot themselves in the foot with the depth issue. Quality Depth wins championships.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

CAP.....you have heard of it ??? thats why you cant keep grove and smiley as back ups...and Nate Gardner our best back up has been out for the year....I agree the OL is our biggest concern and given that's supposed to be Sparano's area of expertise , a big concern....but you cant afford to keep everyone you want as back ups with the CAP...and smiley and Grove have hardly played this year, so how good were they last year /

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Satele at Guard

Junkee, have you even watched Satele since he's been on the Raiders? Have you read what other fans think about him? It's the same things we were complaining about when he was here. He's the weak link on that line. He doesn't match up well 1-on-1 .... he would have to be used in a zone blocking scheme because he's constantly being overpowered at the LOS.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 pm

dolphan74 wrote:
CAP.....you have heard of it ??? thats why you cant keep grove and smiley as back ups...and Nate Gardner our best back up has been out for the year....I agree the OL is our biggest concern and given that's supposed to be Sparano's area of expertise , a big concern....but you cant afford to keep everyone you want as back ups with the CAP...and smiley and Grove have hardly played this year, so how good were they last year /

How much did they save by cutting Grove when they did? Grove is right now at home collecting a pretty good chunk of his salary. You can't afford to keep everyone..agreed. Smiley of all of them had serious health issues. Other's not so. Donald Thomas...what were they paying him?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Satele at Guard

Junkee, have you even watched Satele since he's been on the Raiders? Have you read what other fans think about him? It's the same things we were complaining about when he was here. He's the weak link on that line. He doesn't match up well 1-on-1 .... he would have to be used in a zone blocking scheme because he's constantly being overpowered at the LOS.

He is still at center with Oakland leading one of the best ground attacks in the NFL. He was excellent at pulling and in space. He could've made a decent guard. Maybe you should be asking why a street FA just beat out the 5th round pick that the team sent Donald Thomas packing for. Is the interior line really that bad? It must be. I'm just saying it was better last season even when there were injuries. A lot better. This year they absolutely blow at run blocking. Whose fault is that? You dismantle your interior line and it now sucks. So some of you guys who know more than I do tell me where I'm wrong.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

the fact that Thomas and Grove haven't been signed by anyone else kinda shows me they weren't all that good to begin with...look i agree given Sparano's work history the O Line has to be the biggest disappointment on the team...that's why I hope this is by far our top priority this off season !!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
He is still at center with Oakland leading one of the best ground attacks in the NFL. He was excellent at pulling and in space. He could've made a decent guard. Maybe you should be asking why a street FA just beat out the 5th round pick that the team sent Donald Thomas packing for. Is the interior line really that bad? It must be. I'm just saying it was better last season even when there were injuries. A lot better. This year they absolutely blow at run blocking. Whose fault is that? You dismantle your interior line and it now sucks. So some of you guys who know more than I do tell me where I'm wrong.

He's only starting at center because of they don't have another true center and the rushing attack isn't better "because" of him. The rest of the unit has gotten better around him. They tried to replace him with Veldheer, (who was given the start Week 1) but he had to be moved back to tackle after an injury to another player. As for what happened with the rest of the interior line, that's a whole other story. Satele is not an upgrade in that department.

Quote:
Center is another position the Raiders need to address.

Samson Satele has been great at times, but more often looks completely outmatched.

For a time, Veldheer took his job from him. Satele only got it back because Veldheer had to replace the under performing Mario Henderson at left tackle.

As of now, Satele is the only true center on the roster. Veldheer is still listed with "T/C" next to his name. That means if Satele is injured, Veldheer would move back to center and Mario Henderson would take over at left tackle.

Wait. The same Henderson that couldn't get the job done? Yup! That Henderson.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

The staff brought in former Raider Jake Grove for a work out, but as yet, have not signed him.

Why not? What are you waiting for?

The team needs to sign a true center now. If not Grove, some one else.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5144 ... -do#page/9

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Ok, you win. Pat McQuistan is better than Satele and Miami couldn't have used him, Grove or Smiley against Chicago. My bad.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

John Jerry is a rookie drafted in the 3rd round. Hopefully he will win the starting job next year.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:37 pm
Profile WWW

BTW...John Jerry is really a stud in a long line of studs at RG in the last 3 years. He barely edges out Thomas, who in his own right must've been a phenom.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Big Dave wrote:
John Jerry is a rookie drafted in the 3rd round. Hopefully he will win the starting job next year.

Guard isn't that big a transition from college. If the kid doesn't have the goods now, I doubt he wins anything next season.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Ok, you win. Pat McQuistan is better than Satele and Miami couldn't have used him, Grove or Smiley against Chicago. My bad.

Smiley? Vince Manuwai has replaced him in JAX.

Quote:
Maurice Jones-Drew attributed his recent rushing surge to the return to form of LG Vince Manuwai. No one is averaging more rushing yards per game in the last four weeks. A brawling mauler, the 6'2/330-pound Manuwai has combined with RG Uche Nwaneri (6'3/330) to give Jacksonville one of the most powerful guard duos in football. Safely expect Jones-Drew to finish as a top-eight fantasy back.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... fl&id=1421

Grove wasn't even picked up by the Raiders for his tryout and is still jobless.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

Guard isn't that big a transition from college. If the kid doesn't have the goods now, I doubt he wins anything next season.
:embarrassed:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:

Ya i agree.....Jerry seems like he has a bright future...

And actually i think you should be giving the front office props for getting Mcquistan for next to nothing...He has been pretty valuable

Satele sucks.....Smiley didn't pan out and it was a good time to dump his contract...

And Grove who still don't have a job is always hurt...Although i wouldn't have mined him being picked back up a couple weeks ago....

Grove has tried out for multiple teams and is still not signed

Ps...Grove tried out for the Patsies this week!!!!! I heard that today

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]