View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Henne vs Sanchez, intelligent style 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Henne vs Sanchez, intelligent style
Last night Sanchez had a 27.8 rating. 10 points below Henne's for the Cleveland game. Their ratings are almost identical, 77.5 for Henne, 77.4 for Sanchez. Yards are almost the same, and Henne played one less game. Sanchez is widely regarded as an up and coming talent and Henne has already been benched for poor play. Yes the Jets have more wins, they also have a better defense and better WR corp. So why is Sanchez not getting the hate Henne is? They are winning DESPITE Sanchez, not because of him. INTELLIGENT thoughts?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Henne vs Sanchez, intelligent style
I guess when you put a turd next to another turd they both look the same. Just with Henne, I think the jury is still out on Sanchez. In Sanchez's favor, he makes some plays out there in more than 1 game a year. Henne needs more games where you come out of it confident he can get it done. Games like the Raider Game. The problem is he has too many games like the Cleveland Game that just leave you scratching your head. Every QB has a bad game. Henne has had about 4-5 games this year where the team won in spite of him. Your QB has to be more than a guy who doesn't turn the ball over and can hand off or check down with the best of them.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphinjim wrote:
Last night Sanchez had a 27.8 rating. 10 points below Henne's for the Cleveland game. Their ratings are almost identical, 77.5 for Henne, 77.4 for Sanchez. Yards are almost the same, and Henne played one less game. Sanchez is widely regarded as an up and coming talent and Henne has already been benched for poor play. Yes the Jets have more wins, they also have a better defense and better WR corp. So why is Sanchez not getting the hate Henne is? They are winning DESPITE Sanchez, not because of him. INTELLIGENT thoughts?

A few things. The Jets are winning. Sanchez has come through in the clutch. He is a top 5 pick which people think is automatic franchise guy. He won playoff games last year.

That said, I do not think Sanchez is that good or will ever be anything special. The Jets have put all of their eggs in the win now basket. Mostly older O and D lines, WRs who are there for one year, milking one more good season out of LT. He was put in a position to win and has perhaps the best supporting cast in the NFL.

I'm behind Henne. I'm concerned, but I'm supporting him. If he puts it all together I think he has a much better future than Sanchez. But he's got some things going against him right now. He's playing inconsistent football in a city that has not had much hope in a while. He wasn't a 1st round, high priced pick so people think he can easily be replaced. Ryan, Flacco and Sanchez, his biggest comparison QBs, are winning and putting up numbers on better teams. It may be unfair, but fans expect him to do the same immediately.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I guess when you put a turd next to another turd they both look the same. Just with Henne, I think the jury is still out on Sanchez. In Sanchez's favor, he makes some plays out there in more than 1 game a year. Henne needs more games where you come out of it confident he can get it done. Games like the Raider Game. The problem is he has too many games like the Cleveland Game that just leave you scratching your head. Every QB has a bad game. Henne has had about 4-5 games this year where the team won in spite of him. Your QB has to be more than a guy who doesn't turn the ball over and can hand off or check down with the best of them.

Henne has had 2 bad games, and one pretty bad game. Most other games he is moving the ball for the offense while the running game is stagnant.

Problem is he is not finishing drives and putting up numbers. Its concerning. But there has not been one game this year that the team won inspite of Henne.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Its all about wins and nothing else, the Jets coulda easily lost four more games this year (Denver, Detroit, Cleveland and Houston) you plop those losses on that record and you have a different story in NY!..I guarantee if he loses some of those games Sanchez is under the bus just like Henne..

Stay tuned on this one though because i have a feeling this jets team will still implode this season. I think if the Fins can somehow win on Sunday it may be the turning point in the Jets season.. Oh boy would I love to see that!!

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:12 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

think if the Fins can somehow win on Sunday it may be the turning point in the Jets season.

The Pats just laid out the blueprint. Quick passes so they can't pass rush you. This 4-7 step drop with Henne holding onto the ball isn't going to work. Quick passes will open up Revis island. I hope B. Marshall is ready for quick slants and ins. Hopefully he can break one or move the chains.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Makchell wrote:
think if the Fins can somehow win on Sunday it may be the turning point in the Jets season.

The Pats just laid out the blueprint. Quick passes so they can't pass rush you. This 4-7 step drop with Henne holding onto the ball isn't going to work. Quick passes will open up Revis island. I hope B. Marshall is ready for quick slants and ins. Hopefully he can break one or move the chains.

I am interested to see if we actually follow the blueprint or not. Keep an eye on this. If we don't it tells you alot about the coaching staff. If we can not execute it then we have personnel issues. I believe Henne would flourish with more short drops and quick passes with no real reason to think. Short successful passes to gain confidence.

BTW I still believe in Henne and believe that as anyone progresses they take a step back along the way. The telltale will be how he responds and improves into next season. Reality is we were never going to go past the first week of the playoffs even if we got in.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bess is a bad mamba jamba in small ball. Marshall can turn 5 into 15 real quick. I like the idea, but the Jets will be ready for it. Don't discount that Ryan defense. They got outwitted like that once, it won't happen again all year. We are about to get mauled by one very pissed off Jets team who want another crack at the division. Be warned, we go below .500 this week.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If the Jets play man coverage I think Henne will do okay. Its the zone coverage that has him confused. The first meeting was man coverage and Henne had one of his better games this season.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sanchez's team is 9-3, Henne's is 6-6.... Stats look nice, but they dont mean shiz if you loose...... The Dolphins are a little better with Henne @ qb as apposed to 07 without him. The Jets are much better with Sanchez as opposed to 08 without him...

I hate him and I hate the Jets. But Henne still sucks.. I will be more than happy to see the jets loose out the season and finish 9-7... But I aint putting any money on it...

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
If the Jets play man coverage I think Henne will do okay. Its the zone coverage that has him confused. The first meeting was man coverage and Henne had one of his better games this season.

They'll play man until we force them out of it. That's what they do.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Makchell wrote:

Sounds like the perfect game for Pennington to be our starting QB. :cry:

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Your QB has to be more than a guy who doesn't turn the ball over and can hand off or check down with the best of them.

I agree 100%. But I am afraid that will be the Dolphins offensive philosophy until Sparano is sent packing. This coaching staff has not created an atmosphere were a QB can thrive. Let him audible, let him throw on first downs, stop being so predictable on offense. Stop leaving him in 3rd and 5+ situations with this 3 yards and a pile of dust mentality on 1st and 2nd down. Stop taking him in and out of the game while you run the wildcat. Attack downfield and do it more often especially on 1st & 2nd down. Run some screens. Stop max protecting on every passing down. In short tell this kid to go out and win it instead of telling him not to lose. I agree Henne needs to improve, but this offense doesn't give the guy much of a chance.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:10 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Makchell wrote:

I ask you this in another thread & maybe you missed it. Would you expand on the "Henne is holding the ball to long comment"

My comment from the other thread:
Quote:
I cannot speak to how he processes what he sees. However, what do you mean by getting the ball out faster? Do you mean once he decides to throw? Or holding it to long before he decides to throw?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Buffalo

1 09/12 @ BUF W 15-10 1 1 21 34 61.8 182 5.4 0 0 3 18 75.9 2 -1 -0.5 0 --

Minnesota

2 09/19 @ MIN W 14-10 1 1 9 15 60.0 114 7.6 1 0 2 8 106.0 2 0 0.0 0 (he threw 15 passes and completed 9) While he managed the game, he did nothing to win this game.

Cincy

8 10/31 @ CIN W 22-14 1 1 24 37 64.9 217 5.9 0 1 0 0 69.3 3 -7 -2.3 0

Tennessee

10 11/14 TEN W 29-17 1 0 19 28 67.9 240 8.6 1 1 1 7 91.4 2 3 1.5 0

You throw in the multiple 3 pick performances during a loss and Henne really hasn't helped Miami this year.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I ask you this in another thread & maybe you missed it. Would you expand on the "Henne is holding the ball to long comment"

My comment from the other thread:
Quote:
I cannot speak to how he processes what he sees. However, what do you mean by getting the ball out faster? Do you mean once he decides to throw? Or holding it to long before he decides to throw?

1. Locks onto primary target - Hence why there are so many batted balls and INTs.
2. If primary is covered he tries to locate a checkdown
3. If check down is covered it is usually a sack or INC.
4. Instead of seeing the field, he locks on, takes too much time to decide if a guy is covered and misses 2nd and 3rd options who are wide open.
5. Instead of keeping his eyes downfield as he scrambles, he usually tucks, ducks and starts to run...often missing opportunities. Furthermore he has no pocket awareness so he'll often scramble right into a sack.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 pm

The Pats picked on Smith relentlessly. The guy is a liability out there and the Jets are having a hard time hiding him in coverage.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Here is a brain teaser for you.....

How many games this year were won directly because of Henne making a big clutch play to win the game?

How many has the Jets won because of Sanchez making that type of play? Or even leading a scoring drive late in the 4th or in OT to win the game?

Stop this debate. Just call Henne a slow developer if you cant handle the truth...

I dont like it any more than the next guy. But dont use an excuse that he hasnt had enough time. Plenty of the top QB's broke out in the 2nd season in the NFL, Henne is in his 3rd regardless of how long he has been the starter "officially"

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Henne is another in a long line of backup QB's Miami has coronated as their starter. I said it earlier this year. Marshall was brought in to end the excuses for Chad Henne. If he didn't do it this year with Marshall, it wasn't going to happen. I guess we're at the latter part of that juncture.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Your QB has to be more than a guy who doesn't turn the ball over and can hand off or check down with the best of them.

I agree 100%. But I am afraid that will be the Dolphins offensive philosophy until Sparano is sent packing. This coaching staff has not created an atmosphere were a QB can thrive. Let him audible, let him throw on first downs, stop being so predictable on offense. Stop leaving him in 3rd and 5+ situations with this 3 yards and a pile of dust mentality on 1st and 2nd down. Stop taking him in and out of the game while you run the wildcat. Attack downfield and do it more often especially on 1st & 2nd down. Run some screens. Stop max protecting on every passing down. In short tell this kid to go out and win it instead of telling him not to lose. I agree Henne needs to improve, but this offense doesn't give the guy much of a chance.

Henne CAN audible and he CAN, and often does, throw on 1st down.
Where have you been?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

henne is playing in his second year....yeah he should be putting up Manning type numbers by now!!!...what people here fail to acknowledge is how rare it is to have a rookie qb come in and be an all pro by his second year...which is what you seem to be expecting of him!!!....

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]