View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 pm



Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Henne observation 
Author Message
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post A Henne observation
Just an observation for discussion:

It seems to me that Henne is having some mental issues as opposed to talent issues.

This year, on the road he has played fairly lights out. Multiple 300+ yard games, fewer red zone issues, etc. When he has the pressure on in front of the home crowd who desperately want a reincarnation of 13 (and turn on QBs when they aren't Marino), he clams up.

At home as a starter, he consistently lays turds. INT problems, bad throws, questionable decisions on option plays, etc.

It seems to me that if he can get over his block at home and play more like he does on the road, he, and we, would be in good shape.

Another observation is that Sparano NEVER throws any of his players under the bus. But what he did this week was to hint that placing a lot of blame on the WRs might be the way to go rather than unduly place all of the blame on Henne. How he explains it is if a route is designed for 8 yards and the receiver runs 6, what we'll see is an overthrown ball, not a badly run route. He also seemed to claim this sort of thing happened repeatedly with our young receivers who were forced to play. I'm apt to go with that because of the way Sparano handled discussing Henne's performance. If Sparano is going to do everything but throw his receivers under the bus, because of his history of NOT publicly calling players out. This is not to excuse Henne from some boneheaded throws, but to put his overall play yesterday in to some context from a guy who actually has a clue.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: A Henne observation
Not just him that's good on the road and awful at home. LOL.

Eleaf. He called out the WR's, but he also sent a huge message saying that QB needs to be re-evaluated at the end of the season.

It's not a talent issue with Henne. It's mental, like you said. It's making the reads, settling down, trusting his instincts. He's never going to be great, but to at least be average he needs to settle down and trust his instincts.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:19 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5880
Post Re: A Henne observation
They play more aggressive offensively on the road and have Henne throw a lot on first down.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3823
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: A Henne observation
Its a talent issue as well. He is far from a bad QB but its time to call him out.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: A Henne observation
Phins Rock wrote:
Not just him that's good on the road and awful at home. LOL.

Eleaf. He called out the WR's, but he also sent a huge message saying that QB needs to be re-evaluated at the end of the season.

It's not a talent issue with Henne. It's mental, like you said. It's making the reads, settling down, trusting his instincts. He's never going to be great, but to at least be average he needs to settle down and trust his instincts.


I don't think it's a making reads, etc issue at all. He has no problem making those same reads on the road. He has no problem settling in on the road. He lights it up. It's an issue he has specifically as a starter at home.

Sparano did say that QB needs to be evaluated at the end of the season, but that's true for every position on the team. I wouldn't take that to mean anything other than the staff doing their due diligence. I want every position evaluated every year.

Again, I'm not trying to excuse poor play, but it seems that we only see a small fraction of each play; we don't know the call, how the play was designed and who else might be responsible for what we see as nothing else but bad QB play. That, I think is what Sparano was trying to convey. We only see the result, not everything that lead to the result.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
eleaf wrote:
I don't think it's a making reads, etc issue at all. He has no problem making those same reads on the road. He has no problem settling in on the road. He lights it up. It's an issue he has specifically as a starter at home.


Oh really? Eric Mangini's direct words were the strategy was to make Henne be patient. That is no bueno man. Ed Reed made comments earlier in the season about how easy Henne was to read.vRob freaking Ninkovich of the Patriots had a career day and described Henne as "staring right at me." David Bowens and Cleveland staff made quick notice of his low release for batted balls. His ball placement is extremely erratic and he routinely misses the long ball.

Henne is a feast or famine QB at this point in his career and so far lacks any semblance of being cerebral out there. The only thing he seems to be able to do is fire off quick intermediate routes when the WR's are open. If the coverage is tight, he's simply not able to put the ball in tight spots.

Henne is also a guy described by his fellow teammates, staff, and beat writers as neither up or down mentality-wise. He's just indifferent. This "home" pressure and "Marino" pressure you speak of is entirely conjecture.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21598
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: A Henne observation
Rock Sexton wrote:
This "home" pressure and "Marino" pressure you speak of is entirely conjecture.


Oh.... wow. Man, as if the author wasn't aware of that...

Thankfully he has you to let him know what he is doing.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:01 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6293
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: A Henne observation
Rock Sexton wrote:
eleaf wrote:
I don't think it's a making reads, etc issue at all. He has no problem making those same reads on the road. He has no problem settling in on the road. He lights it up. It's an issue he has specifically as a starter at home.


Oh really? Eric Mangini's direct words were the strategy was to make Henne be patient. That is no bueno man. Ed Reed made comments earlier in the season about how easy Henne was to read.vRob freaking Ninkovich of the Patriots had a career day and described Henne as "staring right at me." David Bowens and Cleveland staff made quick notice of his low release for batted balls. His ball placement is extremely erratic and he routinely misses the long ball.

Henne is a feast or famine QB at this point in his career and so far lacks any semblance of being cerebral out there. The only thing he seems to be able to do is fire off quick intermediate routes when the WR's are open. If the coverage is tight, he's simply not able to put the ball in tight spots.

Henne is also a guy described by his fellow teammates, staff, and beat writers as neither up or down mentality-wise. He's just indifferent. This "home" pressure and "Marino" pressure you speak of is entirely conjecture.


yup, every week the opposing defense has something like this to say about Henne.
That is why the majority of us do not want Henne anymore.


Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4476
Post Re: A Henne observation
swerve13 wrote:

yup, every week the opposing defense has something like this to say about Henne.
That is why the majority of us do not like want Henne anymore.
Every week? What did Oakland have to say last week?


swerve13 wrote:

That is why the majority of us do not like want Henne anymore.
Majority of your guys simply like change.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:58 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8945
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: A Henne observation
eleaf wrote:
Again, I'm not trying to excuse poor play, but it seems that we only see a small fraction of each play; we don't know the call, how the play was designed and who else might be responsible for what we see as nothing else but bad QB play. That, I think is what Sparano was trying to convey. We only see the result, not everything that lead to the result.


I had a pretty good look at him at the game, and I have to say that he threw terrible that game. The majority of his passes were off the mark ... and he seems to be trying to put "touch" on all of his passes. Just fire it in there.

I have to be honest that after this past weekend, I am a little worried about whether he is "the man" for the job. He's had many good games, so, I want to keep an open mind, but let's all be honest that we lost that game because of his inability to move the ball. Carroll could have won the game with a Pick-Six, but the true problem in the Browns game was Henne.

With that said, I would give him the start again next week, but pull him midway through the 2nd half or end of the 3rd quarter if he has another crappy game. Let's all remember that Jay Fiedler never played a complete game as a starting quarterback for us. He was different in each half.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1150
Post Re: A Henne observation
Big Dave wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Again, I'm not trying to excuse poor play, but it seems that we only see a small fraction of each play; we don't know the call, how the play was designed and who else might be responsible for what we see as nothing else but bad QB play. That, I think is what Sparano was trying to convey. We only see the result, not everything that lead to the result.


I had a pretty good look at him at the game, and I have to say that he threw terrible that game. The majority of his passes were off the mark ... and he seems to be trying to put "touch" on all of his passes. Just fire it in there.

I have to be honest that after this past weekend, I am a little worried about whether he is "the man" for the job. He's had many good games, so, I want to keep an open mind, but let's all be honest that we lost that game because of his inability to move the ball. Carroll could have won the game with a Pick-Six, but the true problem in the Browns game was Henne.

With that said, I would give him the start again next week, but pull him midway through the 2nd half if he has another crappy game. Let's all remember that Jay Fiedler never pulled a complete game as a starting quarterback for us. He was different in each half.



Fiedler had one complete game I can remember, Thanksgiving day vs. the Cowboys. He and Chambers went nuts that day.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5842
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: A Henne observation
The turnovers are concerning. The question of leadership is concerning. But lets not treat Henne like he is just a pure flop.

While it may not show up on the stat sheet, in most of Miami's games this year Henne moved the ball when the running game completely stalled. He didn't finish with many TD drives, another concern, but he kept the team in the ball game quite often. Its also fair to add that there are three games where his turnovers played a big role or were the killer in the loss.

Sparano stated he wants to re-evaluate using all of the evidence. If that is the case he will see inconsistency but come away with a guy who has done more good than bad. If the conclusion is that they have shown enough patience and don't want to wait any longer then Henne is replaced.

But who is out there that is going to make Miami a win now team? I keep hearing Palmer, and maybe he needs a change of scenery, but all of the evidence points to him declining. Is he going to do better in Miami with a less talented receiving corp? Another name I hear is Kolb but what has he proven? Everyone else that would be available is another journeyman guy.

There isn't a win now guy out there. Why not give Henne more time to see if he can turn the corner? If he stinks then the team will have a losing record and be in position to draft a QB high iin 2012. Ireland and Sparano are already on thin ice. If Henne turns it around then they stick in Miami. If they bail on him they are giving Ross more reason to get rid of them for a bad decision in banking on Henne. I think their only shot is to hope he becomes "the guy."


Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:42 am
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1150
Post Re: A Henne observation
jammer wrote:
The turnovers are concerning. The question of leadership is concerning. But lets not treat Henne like he is just a pure flop.

While it may not show up on the stat sheet, in most of Miami's games this year Henne moved the ball when the running game completely stalled. He didn't finish with many TD drives, another concern, but he kept the team in the ball game quite often. Its also fair to add that there are three games where his turnovers played a big role or were the killer in the loss.

Sparano stated he wants to re-evaluate using all of the evidence. If that is the case he will see inconsistency but come away with a guy who has done more good than bad. If the conclusion is that they have shown enough patience and don't want to wait any longer then Henne is replaced.

But who is out there that is going to make Miami a win now team? I keep hearing Palmer, and maybe he needs a change of scenery, but all of the evidence points to him declining. Is he going to do better in Miami with a less talented receiving corp? Another name I hear is Kolb but what has he proven? Everyone else that would be available is another journeyman guy.

There isn't a win now guy out there. Why not give Henne more time to see if he can turn the corner? If he stinks then the team will have a losing record and be in position to draft a QB high iin 2012. Ireland and Sparano are already on thin ice. If Henne turns it around then they stick in Miami. If they bail on him they are giving Ross more reason to get rid of them for a bad decision in banking on Henne. I think their only shot is to hope he becomes "the guy."


Great post, spot on. People are acting like Henne is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Trust me, I have seen worse.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: A Henne observation
Big Dave wrote:

I had a pretty good look at him at the game, and I have to say that he threw terrible that game. The majority of his passes were off the mark ...


This is exactly my point, and you missed it.

You can't expect a perfect pass if the WRs are stinkin' the joint up with their routes. If the plays calls for an 8 yard out pattern, and the receiver runs a 6 yard out pattern, the throw is going to be what we think is bad, whereas the WR was at fault. Sparano came as close as he ever has to throwing our WRs under the bus for this exact reason, and he said it happened with regularity.

Surely Henne had a bad game. There can be no questioning that. But it also seems a classic case of the QB getting too much of the blame when there were other factors in play.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 1287
Post Re: A Henne observation
Quote:
If the coverage is tight, he's simply not able to put the ball in tight spots.



So now we have people flat out lying because they hate Henne and want him gone....did you see the TD pass to Fasano...or the passes last week or the week before...Henne is erratic but when he is one he definitely can get the ball in tight spots...and funny how people are complaining he has too much touch and too just fire it in there....when last year all you were bitching about was he just had a gun and no touch at all....again to me the speed of the game and his pocket presence seem problematic.... but lets not rip the guy for things he can actually do.... he is inconsistent this year... he is a 2nd year starter....what did you expect ?


Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
dolphan74 wrote:
Quote:
If the coverage is tight, he's simply not able to put the ball in tight spots.



So now we have people flat out lying because they hate Henne and want him gone....did you see the TD pass to Fasano...or the passes last week or the week before...Henne is erratic but when he is one he definitely can get the ball in tight spots...and funny how people are complaining he has too much touch and too just fire it in there....when last year all you were bitching about was he just had a gun and no touch at all....again to me the speed of the game and his pocket presence seem problematic.... but lets not rip the guy for things he can actually do.... he is inconsistent this year... he is a 2nd year starter....what did you expect ?


Consistently though is what's in question and I should correct myself by insisting that part of it (which I left out in my previous comment). Being erratic is not a good thing IMO.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 1287
Post Re: A Henne observation
being erratic is not a good thing...but he is a second year starter and this is to be expected based upon his performance so far...do some qb's develop faster then henne....yes, without a doubt...does that mean we give up on him this early....not to me.....he has the tools to be a very good qb.....again manning, brees etc all took a couple years to develop...why give up so soon on henne ?


Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:42 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6293
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: A Henne observation
I think by far the biggest concern is that defenses find it easy to read where he wants to go with the ball and they just bait him into interceptions. That's the most frustrating part of his game.


Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Post Re: A Henne observation
eleaf wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I had a pretty good look at him at the game, and I have to say that he threw terrible that game. The majority of his passes were off the mark ...


This is exactly my point, and you missed it.

You can't expect a perfect pass if the WRs are stinkin' the joint up with their routes. If the plays calls for an 8 yard out pattern, and the receiver runs a 6 yard out pattern, the throw is going to be what we think is bad, whereas the WR was at fault. Sparano came as close as he ever has to throwing our WRs under the bus for this exact reason, and he said it happened with regularity.

Surely Henne had a bad game. There can be no questioning that. But it also seems a classic case of the QB getting too much of the blame when there were other factors in play.



"But it also seems a classic case of the QB getting too much of the blame when there were other factors in play"


Very true in most cases, but not here !!! Like I said before, I recently attended a game and saw Henne throw into packs of 3 to 4 defenders all day. Shoot, I could of thrown smarter passes from the stands. During the Oakland game, Henne threw a pass into the endzone with like 4 defenders standing around with their fingers in their butt just waiting. I noticed when Henne was under pressure, he would occassionally just toss the darn ball downfield like a street game. He did this over and over again like if he didnt even care if he threw a pick !!! Henne is a great back up, we need to nip this on the butt now, before we throw away another 1 or 2 seasons hoping for something that is not there !!!


Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3823
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: A Henne observation
Big Dave wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Again, I'm not trying to excuse poor play, but it seems that we only see a small fraction of each play; we don't know the call, how the play was designed and who else might be responsible for what we see as nothing else but bad QB play. That, I think is what Sparano was trying to convey. We only see the result, not everything that lead to the result.


I had a pretty good look at him at the game, and I have to say that he threw terrible that game. The majority of his passes were off the mark ... and he seems to be trying to put "touch" on all of his passes. Just fire it in there.

I have to be honest that after this past weekend, I am a little worried about whether he is "the man" for the job. He's had many good games, so, I want to keep an open mind, but let's all be honest that we lost that game because of his inability to move the ball. Carroll could have won the game with a Pick-Six, but the true problem in the Browns game was Henne.

With that said, I would give him the start again next week, but pull him midway through the 2nd half or end of the 3rd quarter if he has another crappy game. Let's all remember that Jay Fiedler never played a complete game as a starting quarterback for us. He was different in each half.


Plus you just got the jersey Dave .... for that alone I am pulling for Henne.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 1287
Post Re: A Henne observation
wait ...defenses find it easy to read a relatively inexperienced QB.....say it aint so !!! :fart: :fart: ...wow, he is hot and cold....the consistency should come with experience....again I am not sold on henne, but feel we will give him next year before any drastic decisions are made...and I agree training camp competition should be brought in !!!


Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
dolphan74 wrote:
wait ...defenses find it easy to read a relatively inexperienced QB.....say it aint so !!! :fart: :fart: ...wow, he is hot and cold....the consistency should come with experience....again I am not sold on henne, but feel we will give him next year before any drastic decisions are made...and I agree training camp competition should be brought in !!!


Not just "competition" ..... a legitimate starting prospect should be thought about long and hard.

I find it curious as to what people consider "relatively" inexperienced. We're talking about a guy with 28 games played and 508 pass attempts. That's not quite as meager as it's being made out to be.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6293
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: A Henne observation
Rock Sexton wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:
wait ...defenses find it easy to read a relatively inexperienced QB.....say it aint so !!! :fart: :fart: ...wow, he is hot and cold....the consistency should come with experience....again I am not sold on henne, but feel we will give him next year before any drastic decisions are made...and I agree training camp competition should be brought in !!!


Not just "competition" ..... a legitimate starting prospect should be thought about long and hard.

I find it curious as to what people consider "relatively" inexperienced. We're talking about a guy with 28 games played and 508 pass attempts. That's not quite as meager as it's being made out to be.



ya, that inexperience crap is getting old. Josh Freeman has less experience and is outplaying henne


Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:40 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Post Re: A Henne observation
swerve13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:
wait ...defenses find it easy to read a relatively inexperienced QB.....say it aint so !!! :fart: :fart: ...wow, he is hot and cold....the consistency should come with experience....again I am not sold on henne, but feel we will give him next year before any drastic decisions are made...and I agree training camp competition should be brought in !!!


Not just "competition" ..... a legitimate starting prospect should be thought about long and hard.

I find it curious as to what people consider "relatively" inexperienced. We're talking about a guy with 28 games played and 508 pass attempts. That's not quite as meager as it's being made out to be.



ya, that inexperience crap is getting old. Josh Freeman has less experience and is outplaying henne


Dont forget M.Sanchez, Bradford, McCoy, M.Ryan !!! just to name a few !!


Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6293
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: A Henne observation
ya, the growth has not been there for Mr. Henne


Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 42
Post Re: A Henne observation
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere already but I found this to be an interesting statistic. This was posted in the comments section from an article in PBP and I pretty much verified the stats.

TD to int ratio between 22 and 26 starts

Bradshaw 19-46

Tarkenton 40-42

Griese 36-34

Steve Young 24-24

Drew Brees 28-31

Favre 37-37

Namath 27-42

Aikman 20-36

Elway 25-29

Chad Henne 24-29

Just posting this because as easy as it is to write him off already, and as much as one can prognasticate that Henne will amount to nothing better than a backup QB... well...


Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 1287
Post Re: A Henne observation
Sanchez....r u kidding...wow talk about fantasy world...like I said I a not sold on Henne...but without any realistic options I think he sees a real chance to start in season 3...


Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
Battle wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere already but I found this to be an interesting statistic. This was posted in the comments section from an article in PBP and I pretty much verified the stats.

TD to int ratio between 22 and 26 starts

Bradshaw 19-46

Tarkenton 40-42

Griese 36-34

Steve Young 24-24

Drew Brees 28-31

Favre 37-37

Namath 27-42

Aikman 20-36

Elway 25-29

Chad Henne 24-29

Just posting this because as easy as it is to write him off already, and as much as one can prognasticate that Henne will amount to nothing better than a backup QB... well...


Unless you've got numbers for every QB who's every played and stacked Henne's up against them, then examples like above don't mean much. I mean there are 9 other QB's in that list and we've had just how many play this game?

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 1287
Post Re: A Henne observation
i think the point is that someties a slow start by a QB doesn't mean a bad career...and that it might be a little early to write off Henne...


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
dolphan74 wrote:
i think the point is that someties a slow start by a QB doesn't mean a bad career...and that it might be a little early to write off Henne...


I understood what it was meant to do, but it's lazy data because it simply highlights the ones that made it aka "cherry picking".

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5880
Post Re: A Henne observation
Big Dave wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Again, I'm not trying to excuse poor play, but it seems that we only see a small fraction of each play; we don't know the call, how the play was designed and who else might be responsible for what we see as nothing else but bad QB play. That, I think is what Sparano was trying to convey. We only see the result, not everything that lead to the result.


I had a pretty good look at him at the game, and I have to say that he threw terrible that game. The majority of his passes were off the mark ... and he seems to be trying to put "touch" on all of his passes. Just fire it in there.

I have to be honest that after this past weekend, I am a little worried about whether he is "the man" for the job. He's had many good games, so, I want to keep an open mind, but let's all be honest that we lost that game because of his inability to move the ball. Carroll could have won the game with a Pick-Six, but the true problem in the Browns game was Henne.

With that said, I would give him the start again next week, but pull him midway through the 2nd half or end of the 3rd quarter if he has another crappy game. Let's all remember that Jay Fiedler never played a complete game as a starting quarterback for us. He was different in each half.



I stated earlier in the season and I'll restate it here. Henne leaves a lot of plays on the field. Yes he has a big time arm. Yes he got all the physical tools. But when you do an honest evaluation, the fire isn't there. He just doesn't seem to have the passion to make it happen.


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 1287
Post Re: A Henne observation
and people here are taking a few games from some rookies...mccoy, braddford , and establishing for that small body of work that they are developing faster then Henne...again last year Henne led us on several 4th quarter comebacks...but now teams have plenty of film on him and are attacking his weaknesses...the same will happen with this years rookies...Henne's biggest problem is consistency...not that he has not flashed any talent...but from reading the posts here you wouldn't get that !


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5880
Post Re: A Henne observation
Rock Sexton wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:
i think the point is that someties a slow start by a QB doesn't mean a bad career...and that it might be a little early to write off Henne...


I understood what it was meant to do, but it's lazy data because it simply highlights the ones that made it aka "cherry picking".


I think you're stating the obvious. The data is purposely cherry picked to show that the scenario is possible.


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5880
Post Re: A Henne observation
dolphan74 wrote:
and people here are taking a few games from some rookies...mccoy, braddford , and establishing for that small body of work that they are developing faster then Henne...again last year Henne led us on several 4th quarter comebacks...but now teams have plenty of film on him and are attacking his weaknesses...the same will happen with this years rookies...Henne's biggest problem is consistency...not that he has not flashed any talent...but from reading the posts here you wouldn't get that !



Its more than just consistency. Henne doesn't make enough big plays and this includes last year. He has very little, if any, pocket presence. Most guys who are pure pocket passers have the ability to move inside the pocket to buy time. I've rarely seen this as an acquired skill. You either have it or you don't. Henne doesn't.


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
NFLJunkie wrote:
I think you're stating the obvious. The data is purposely cherry picked to show that the scenario is possible.


I know it is .... and it's flawed.

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
NFLJunkie wrote:
Its more than just consistency. Henne doesn't make enough big plays and this includes last year. He has very little, if any, pocket presence. Most guys who are pure pocket passers have the ability to move inside the pocket to buy time. I've rarely seen this as an acquired skill. You either have it or you don't. Henne doesn't.


Most definitely leaves a ton of plays on the field.
Problems in the shotgun.
Not very vocal.
Throws very low, tip-able passes.
Prone to multi-interception games.
Opposing players insisting he's easy to read and that he stares right at them.

Just not the kind of stuff I want to hear about the "future" of the franchise.

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5880
Post Re: A Henne observation
I think his staring down of WR's also makes it easier for the DL to bat balls. I don't particularly think his delivery is low.


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
NFLJunkie wrote:
I think his staring down of WR's also makes it easier for the DL to bat balls. I don't particularly think his delivery is low.


Well David Bowens and Eric Mangini would disagree with you after their comments from Sunday's game. They said they studied film on him and that's what they saw. Bowens even went on to describe it as "not an accident" ..... Film does not lie. Coaches and players study other teams and players' tendencies.

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5842
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: A Henne observation
Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I think you're stating the obvious. The data is purposely cherry picked to show that the scenario is possible.


I know it is .... and it's flawed.


Then everyone who is posting recent first round QBs who are having some degree of success are cherry picking to support the argument that Miami must draft a 1st rounder to solve its problem.

Its not flawed data because his point isnt that every QB who had a rough start has eventually succeeded. He's simply saying that 25 starts should not define Chad Henne, just like it hasn't for some other QBs. If you want to add a list of QBs who flopped to make it more complete then by all means do so.


Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5641
Post Re: A Henne observation
jammer wrote:

Then everyone who is posting recent first round QBs who are having some degree of success are cherry picking to support the argument that Miami must draft a 1st rounder to solve its problem.


..... and I said they weren't? Although you gotta start somewhere so why not try and get talent considered "elite" in the draft.

Quote:
Its not flawed data because his point isnt that every QB who had a rough start has eventually succeeded. He's simply saying that 25 starts should not define Chad Henne, just like it hasn't for some other QBs. If you want to add a list of QBs who flopped to make it more complete then by all means do so.


C'mon man .... look at the names the article floats out there ..... You mean to tell me that that was by accident? It's entirely self-serving when in actuality it lacks any practical data to support the idea that Henne could turn into one because they did. If we're going to argue that Henne "could be" then fine, any player at any position "could be" if given the right amount of time.

_________________
Image


Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.