View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Josh Mcdaniels Fired! 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Josh Mcdaniels Fired!
Quote:
Josh McDaniels won’t even finish his second season as Broncos head coach.

In a short announcement sent over Twitter, the team announced that “Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen has relieved Josh McDaniels of his head coaching duties.”

McDaniels’ team was 3-9 on the season and 5-17 since they jumped out to a fast start to open the 2009 campaign. We’ll have much more on this story shortly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/06/broncos-fire-josh-mcdaniels/

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Josh Mcdaniels Fired!
hopefully Sparano is next, I am done with him.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

We have our Offensive Coordinator replacement.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

BRING HIM IN.

I wonder if Nolan would vouch for him?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:50 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Thats just what I thought too. That could be a relief when it comes to developing a QB. On the other hand our problem child, Marshall, might keep him away

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If we did grab McDaniels as the O coord. what are the chances we do it now?? or do we wait till the offseason, where the price tag and demand might be much greater.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bye bye Henning! C'mon JOSH!!!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Give me Gary Kubiak, the HC of the Houston Texans, at least for the time being. I like what he has done with the Texans offensively and he was very good with the Broncos as an OC.

Plus, I don't see Nolan and Marshall hitting it off with McDaniels.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinsfansc: I am with you, should Gary Kubiak get fired, he would be my personal first choice to come in as the offensive coordinator. Some people are just better suited as coordinators i.e. Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss and they excel in these areas and I put Kubiak in the same bucket.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Finhead wrote:
Phinsfansc: I am with you, should Gary Kubiak get fired, he would be my personal first choice to come in as the offensive coordinator. Some people are just better suited as coordinators i.e. Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss and they excel in these areas and I put Kubiak in the same bucket.

Kubiak would be one heck of a pickup for OC. However, if he's fired I'll bet that he'll want to take some time off before his next gig. So he won't be an optoin. As for McDonalds dude, I don't trust the kid enough to take the rains as OC. He was a fantastic QB coach, but he hasn't done anything that would make me think that he'd make a good OC.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 pm

2 weeks ago he was little Belicheat ... now he is our OC savior.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

ANd he still lost...to the Niners! LOL! YEAH!!! BRING HIM IN!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Makchell wrote:

ANd he still lost...to the Niners! LOL! YEAH!!! BRING HIM IN!

And im sure he has ties to Miami .... owns a home here , grandparents live here , maybe a second cousin once removed is here .... makes sense to me.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Funny how he's not a "genius" without Brady. Billy boy was a nobody without Brady....Just goes to show what a franchise QB can do.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:05 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

NFLJunkie wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
He was more of a problem child before McDaniel's got there than he is now.

Quote:
Marshall had some off the field problems but they never interfered with his Sundays until McDaniels Ego came to Denver. Is it Marshall or McDaniel.
While Marshall's history will not cause anyone to mistake him for a choir boy, his only convictable offense has been battery and DUI. Both are recent enough to say he's a tough character to control. Enter Josh McDaniels whose resume reads:
Publicly stated Cutler wasn't his type of QB. He refused to apologize. The sideshow went on for months and ended with the trade of a future star to another team. He then benched Brandon Marshall and the two really never found common ground. This will end with Marshall's departure. What isn't really known is that McDaniel also benched his star TE Tony Scheffler before the last game. While its not known exactly why one thing is for sure in Denver: It is McDaniels way or the high way.
So it is a little of both. Marshall is a tough guy to manage but it appears that McDaniel is having trouble coaching anyone with an ego on this team.

I believe I followed this up with another post saying he wouldn't last the season in Denver. You also have to keep in mind Nolan left Denver to get away from Daniels. It wasn't publicly stated but how many times do you see a coach leave one team for the same position on another team. It hardly ever happens because the first team has to agree to the guy leaving unless its a promotion. You throw Tony Scheffler, BMarsh and Cutler into that equation and McDaniels was his own worst enemy. My fear is Sparano is starting to act the same way. The list of players he is getting rid of that are starters elsewhere is starting to grow. If anything, he needs to manage the egos of these players and keep them around for leadership and/or depth.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:40 am

BTW...bring McDaniels and trade for Tebo. Just my opinion. Miami needs leadership and Tebo exudes it.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

Quote:
While Marshall's history will not cause anyone to mistake him for a choir boy, his only convictable offense has been battery and DUI

Only?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Funny how he's not a "genius" without Brady. Billy boy was a nobody without Brady....Just goes to show what a franchise QB can do.
um Mak, Bilichick put together some pretty good seasons in Cleveland before Modell moved the team to baltimore.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:03 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just say no to Josh McDaniels......IF Kubiak gets fired and IF he is willing to go straight to a new position without taking time off, I believe he could be the best offensive coordinator coming available and his personality would fit in great.

I don't even want McDaniels coming in with a piss poor attitude and a chip on his shoulder. Yeah, he co-existed with Belicheat and Brady, but after looking at his tenure at Denver, he was a jackass. I'm sure someone will extend the olive branch, I just hope it isn't Miami.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Give me Gary Kubiak, the HC of the Houston Texans, at least for the time being. I like what he has done with the Texans offensively and he was very good with the Broncos as an OC.

Plus, I don't see Nolan and Marshall hitting it off with McDaniels.

Ya, I heard Brady couldnt stand him in New England

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I am on the McDaniels for OC train... OFFICIALLY.

Ok, he was WAY too young, and his resume was that he was a Patriots coach. Ok, this does not merit a HC position, and you know who else failed this way? Mangini.....

Nolan vs McDaniels, yes this was a bad pairing because Nolan was the servant to McDaniels' evil dictator like control of the entire team

Marshall vs McDaniels: well Marshall was more pissed off of the loyalty factor. McD wanted to bring in his own gu, and shipped Cutler off. Well you know what, Marshall should have been ticked off, because McDaniels really had no right to be doing that, nor common sense.

These factors are VERY irrelevant. If McD was brought in as a OC, he would be a servant to Sparano. McD would have no control over personnel decisions other than personal input. Hence, he would not be able to trade away our team because Ireland and Sparano are in charge. Nolan would not have to even deal with McD except in game-time situations. Nolans defense did this to set up McD's O this way, or vice-versa. Hell, they would have separate squads, and would be essentially equals, and Nolan's age, experience and product would have the bigger voice in the overall picture anyways, so I dont think this would even be an issue. Even Marshall should be happy, I mean look at the product Marshall got under McD. Orton made Marshall one of the top WRs in the NFL.... McD found ways to get his best weapon the ball, and if Marshall's antics show anything truth, he wants the ball, and McD gets it to him

McD and Henne. I think this would make Henne the QB we have been waiting to see. Its the truth! Henning has set Henne up to fail, and it's obvious. McD helped Brady to have the best statistical season ever. But what's the difference in Brady vs Henne. They had the same QB coach in college, same school, with McD they would have the same NFL OC. I mean, yes, Brady's body of work is a helluva lot better, but either way, McD made him "better" in his time with him, he can only make Henne better...... plus, McD would have a grudge to finish against the Patsies... remember, it was the Bronco Offense that beat Belichick last year, imagine McD's offense able to do it twice a year with Miami.

Either way, McD as OC is the RIGHT move. Parcells tree includes Belichick which includes McDaniels.....
McDaniels knows how to utilize personnel
McDaniels is young, ambitious, and a strong character
McDaniels could succeed....... right now, As a OC only!!
Anything over Henning would be an improvement
McDaniels knows the AFCE intimately (should have beaten the Jets this season, if not for that pass into call)
He's Hardnosed, no nonsense....and willing to cut 'losses' if necessary (unwisely though)

If he is willing to take an OC job, because thats all that will be available to him, he could be the perfect fit. With a top 5 defense ran by Mike Nolan, McDaniels would have the young squad that could be molded into a top 10 offense easily next season.

I say, bring him in!!! the sooner the better. Hell, maybe even this year, and we can even the series with the Patsies and play spoiler.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Alex13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:
um Mak, Bilichick put together some pretty good seasons in Cleveland before Modell moved the team to baltimore.

Lets not forget Big Blue as he was the D coord on 2 superbowl teams for the Giants....

As well as having a defensive game plan in the HOF for one of those wins and he was the d coord & assistant HC for the Pats in 96 when they played the Pack in the superbowl.
I think the guy has coached at some level in 7 Super Bowls.....

I hate the guy cause he is going to be a thorn in our side for many years to come. But you cant take away the guy's accomplishments in this league. He is right now the best coach out there.

As for the topic... I dont think that the problem will be with Nolan or Marshall not wanting McHoodie here, it would be with him not wanting to swallow his pride and go to work for his old division rival and coach along side of the d coord he didnt click with...

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:

LOL.

hypocritex wrote:

I can't see it happening. I don't think he and Brandon Marshall can co-exist, and we have invested heavily into Marshall with two second round draft picks.

Let's not forget that our prized defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and McDaniels did not get along.

Forget it. I think David Lee will get a shot. He has a history in the Parcells tree.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
FINesse wrote:

LOL.

hypocritex wrote:

I can't see it happening. I don't think he and Brandon Marshall can co-exist, and we have invested heavily into Marshall with two second round draft picks.

Let's not forget that our prized defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and McDaniels did not get along.

Forget it. I think David Lee will get a shot. He has a history in the Parcells tree.

I agree with all this. I stated in the preseason I'd be surprised if McDaniels made it through the season. Mini-me will not be in Miami. I do think the unintended consequence of this is that either Orton or Tebo will need to go. Tebo has become a fan favorite and many were calling for him weeks ago. Orton has played well and doesn't deserve to be benched but my guess is one will be traded.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Add me to the lot that doesn't like the idea of McDaniels in Miami.

Denver was too toxic for Nolan, Marshall, and McDaniels to co-habitate. Right now we have the best 2 out of 3. I don't think Sparano is "seasoned" enough to deal with the potential hot box.

As for Kubiak, next season I don't see him as the Houston HC or the Miami OC. I see him as the next Denver HC. Shanahan is gone. The return is probably more imminent than we think.

David Lee? "Wildcat" David Lee? God I hope not.

I'm not a football guy. I'm just a fan. But, if I was "Dolphin-King For A Day," I'd have to take a serious look at spreading the offense out a little. With Marshall (I know he's knicked up right now), Hartline (Ditto), and Bess doing what they do, Ricky and Ronnie (probably not back next year) both taking a minute-and-a-half to make it to the line of scrimmage, and Cobbs and Hilliard picking out splinters, it would seem like the perfect off-season to try this out. Whoever can pull something like that off would be good enough for me. I don't think the 2011 draft has a lot of RB talent, but there's plenty of TE's and interior offensive linemen to be had.

With Henne at QB, we really can't "copy" what the Pats do on offense. But it seems to work pretty well against a 3-4 set with all the holes on the field, so it should be worth a look.

With AJ Edds and Odrick coming back next year, the "D" should be bolstered even more. Things are really starting to look fairly good over there.

I think a small, lightning-quick burner should become an every-draft staple pick in the 6th or 7th rounds. That just kills us every game.

What started out as a "Say No to McDaniels" rant, ended up meandering and long-winded. Sorry about the length. Slam it at will.

PS -- I don't like the idea of playing a Jets team this week after what happened Monday night.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

slammed!

Actually, I agree. Especially with the PS. We are going to get our butts ripped off, shredded and thrown back in our face.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

McDaniels is a scumbag.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Agree with you Iowa, McDaniels is a scumbag jackass with long ears.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:01 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
I agree with all this. I stated in the preseason I'd be surprised if McDaniels made it through the season. Mini-me will not be in Miami. I do think the unintended consequence of this is that either Orton or Tebo will need to go. Tebo has become a fan favorite and many were calling for him weeks ago. Orton has played well and doesn't deserve to be benched but my guess is one will be traded.

I'd be surprised if either got moved. Not sure why the Broncos fans would be calling for a QB change when their current QB is #1 in the league (at least as far as yards are concerned)... and how often does a 1st round pick get traded the next season?

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 am

PZ - Most popular guy on a losing team is........ you guessed it the back up QB. Here is the dilemma of a coach taking over. Tebow, whether deserved or not, has become an instant legend in Broncos land. Number 1 selling Jersey in the NFL this season had Tebow on it. While unintended and no fault of Tebow's, it has dominated the airways and media out here on why Tebow hasn't been given a shot. It has been a huge distraction. Every press conference with McDaniels has a Tebow question. After every loss a huge surge of calls to local radio calling for him to play. IMO, if I'm the coach coming in I have to deal with this distraction. I really don't think the new coach can just ignore it. Josh McDaniels tried ignoring it and came out every week and pronounced emphatically that Orton is the starter, the story just never died. If I'm the new coach, I try and trade Tebow in the off-season, or if I think he can get it done, I make him the starter and trade Orton. Denver needs a lot of help in other areas and having a first round pick for Orton or a 3rd round for Tebow would help more than hurt.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]