View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dolphins coach Tony Sparano says team must ‘re-evaluate’ qb 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins coach Tony Sparano says team must ‘re-evaluate’ qb
Quote:
by Ben Volin
Tony Sparano is not ready to give up on Chad Henne. Sparano was asked Monday if perhaps it’s time to give Tyler Thigpen a chance at starting with a full week of preparation – his only start this year came on a short week against the Bears – but Sparano said no, Henne is still the starter and will play Sunday at the Jets.

But if the benching three weeks ago before the Tennessee game wasn’t enough proof that the luster has worn off of Henne, Sparano admitted Monday that Henne may not be the Dolphins’ quarterback in 2011.

“At the end of the year we’ll have to sit down from our standpoint and re-evaluate the whole big picture,” Sparano said. “I do think this guy is getting better, (but) we’re going to have to evaluate everything at the end of the year.”

Now, the Dolphins must decide if Henne should still be the quarterback in 2011. It’s a huge decision, given that the contracts of Ireland, Sparano and several people in the building are set to expire after the 2011 season. If they mess it up, a lot of people could be shown the door.

“There’s obviously some areas there where Chad needs to continue to improve, and he would tell you that,” Sparano said. “One of the areas is this turnover thing. … You just can’t overcome it in this league. The margin is just too hard to overcome those kind of turnovers.”

“There was probably three decisions I think that if we’re really splitting hairs, could’ve went someplace else, the interceptions aside,” Sparano said. But the “biggest issue was location. We completed 50 percent of our passes yesterday, and throwing the ball with location yesterday puts us in the 60s.”

And the most frustrating part, Sparano said, is that Henne is performing well in practice, but it’s not translating to the games.

“This guy was 80 percent during the week of practice. Probably his best week of practice,” Sparano said.

One criticism of Henne is that he stares down his receivers too long, giving opposing defensive backs plenty of time to read the play. Sparano doesn’t buy it.

“I read all the garbage about staring people down and this and that, and it doesn’t have anything to do with it,” he said.

Sparano doesn’t get much into specifics about what his players did wrong in the game, or any sort of negative evaluations of his players. But one thing is clear: A lot of tough decisions will be made this offseason, starting at quarterback.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -position/

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins coach Tony Sparano says team must ‘re-evaluate’ qb
doesn't sound like Sparano gets it either.
Stareing down receivers is a big deal.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:21 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

swerve13 wrote:

Every Qb stares down a WR.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:25 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Every Qb stares down a WR.

Yes...But not being able to go to your second read on time is. Brady and Manning stare down receivers, but they know when it's not going to be there and to look off. Henne doesn't.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Phins Rock wrote:

Yes...But not being able to go to your second read on time is. Brady and Manning stare down receivers, but they know when it's not going to be there and to look off. Henne doesn't.

Henne has moved off his primary many many times.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I wish he could hit the wide open receiver he was staring at instead of the CB behind him or his imaginary friend two yards ahead...

While Sparano is "re-evaluating" this off season I think the people above him may do some re-evaluating too...

There have been some interesting comments from our owner.....

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Henne has moved off his primary many many times.

How many times did he do it yesterday, and completed the pass? Or even Oakland, his "best game"...he was facing man coverage all day, and has his first read all day. When he did see zone coverage...stupid INT.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:07 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Phins Rock wrote:

How many times did he do it yesterday, and completed the pass? Or even Oakland, his "best game"...he was facing man coverage all day, and has his first read all day. When he did see zone coverage...stupid INT.

Who else did he have to throw too? Wallace? Moore? I'm not saying the pick on the Bess throw was a good decision, but he was the only Wr out there with any experience & maybe he was hoping Bess would make a play.

Had Bess made a play then no one would care. Would be singing his praises for threading it in there.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Who else did he have to throw too? Wallace? Moore? I'm not saying the pick on the Bess throw was a good decision, but he was the only Wr out there with any experience & maybe he was hoping Bess would make a play.

Had Bess made a play then no one would care. Would be singing his praises for threading it in there.

Fasano was running wide open across the middle 15 yards from Bess. He stared down Bess, who was being draped by one defender, and has another coming over the top to help...Why in the world do you make that throw?

Near the sideline? OK. But over the middle? That's a High School no-no...

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

The only way Bess could have made a play was to put on a Browns Uniform....

I gotta give you credit 4me....You are sticking by the horrible Henne more than those horrible picks you made in the Phinfever pickem

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

kev1321 wrote:

The only way Bess could have made a play was to put on a Browns Uniform....
Maybe, but the point remains. Fans play the results. Play made, no one says anything about it. Play not made. WTF was he doing. I just love a bunch a coach potatoes talking about how someone should have seen this or that. Things move a whole lot slower sitting in a recliner.

kev1321 wrote:

I gotta give you credit 4me....You are sticking by the horrible Henne more than those horrible picks you made in the Phinfever pickem
I missed a week & saw no reason to go back. Glad you are that interested in me. Makes me feel all nice & warm inside.

BTW, I think you were something like 3 games ahead of me when I missed picking in Wk. 10. So if my picks were horrible then can't say much about yours.

Plus if you are so confident in your picking ability. I run a pay pickem league every year. You are more than welcome to come over & put your money up. I have 66 people playing in it this year.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think the team needs to reevaluate the head coach.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]