View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Dave Hyde - "Ugly loss should end the Henne era" 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Dave Hyde - "Ugly loss should end the Henne era"
Dave Hyde, Sun-sentinel wrote:
MIAMI GARDENS - That last interception, the pass Cleveland coaches predicted, the one that fired out low and filled immediately with bad luck, was a wrap on the Chad Henne Era.

Turn the page. Close the book. End the discussion, folks.

And if the quarterback of the future is history, you know what that means when you've prayed over the comings and despaired at the goings of Jay Fiedler, A.J. Feeley, Daunte Culpepper and John Beck.

It means this regime is up for grabs, too. Henne was its hope. He was the arm coach Tony Sparano, general manager Jeff Ireland and the prematurely-departed Bill Parcells staked their blueprint to and made their biggest decision on.

We can tap-dance around this, if you want. We can say Sunday was lost because Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll dropped a gift-wrapped interception that would've won the game and Cleveland cornerback Mike Adams caught the interception that won it.

That's true. No doubt. But the full truth is Henne was benched for a reason earlier this year, went out and showed why again in Sunday's wretched 13-10 loss and the Dolphins are back to the beginning in building a team.

They've got to find a quarterback. Which means they've got to be sure of the guy finding that quarterback. Which means, well, Dolphins owner Steve Ross has a lot of big decisions to make coming up.

Four passes Sunday explain why Henne can't be trusted. They show in differing ways why his window has closed. The first one came at the end of the Dolphins' first drive.

It was a good drive, too. Eight plays. Fifty-four yards. Now they faced third-and-10 at the Cleveland 31. Henne faced it, actually, because this is a quarterback's call.

Offensive coordinator Dan Henning doesn't take the ball from Henne in this situation, as popular as that thought is among fans. Henne had a check-with-me call: It was up to him to call a run or a pass depending on the defense.

Henne came to the line, checked the defense and called for the run.

"When you have nine guys dropping and eight guys dropping in coverage, there's no many holes out there to throw the ball,'' Henne said. "So our best best is to run the ball, see if we can break it open and have our guys up front block."

The under-used Ricky Williams got the handoff and ran up the middle for 8 yards. So Cleveland won there. It conned Henne into calling the technically-right, strategically-wrong play.

Question: Do you want your quarterback calling for a run on third-and-10?

For the rest of the article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 094.column

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dave Hyde - "Ugly loss should end the Henne era"
Quote:
With 1:34 left in a tie game, Henne got the ball again. On third down, his pass was tipped at the line by David Bowens. Pure luck. Except Cleveland coaches call this.

"They said he throws low and gets a lot of batted balls,'' Bowens said. "So I was ready."

Add it up. A conservative call. A bad long ball. A bad decision. A (possibly) low delivery.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

"When you have nine guys dropping and eight guys dropping in coverage, there's no many holes out there to throw the ball,'' Henne said. "So our best best is to run the ball, see if we can break it open and have our guys up front block."

Marino would never call a run play even if they dropped 11 guys in coverage. Playmakers want the ball in their hands. Henne is really putting doubt in my mind now. Wow.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He's probably had this article prepared since week 3, just waited to fill in the details.

Tough to drum up arguments against it that aren't hopeful and hypothetical, but I'm holding my ground.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

"They said he throws low and gets a lot of batted balls,'' Bowens said. "So I was ready."

Funny how some on the boards are calling it bad luck on Henne's part. Hmmm, looks like the Browns scouted and created some good luck on their own. No more excuses for Henne, please.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:

Marino would never call a run play even if they dropped 11 guys in coverage. Playmakers want the ball in their hands. Henne is really putting doubt in my mind now. Wow.

Should have been a pass/pass option. Not a pass/run option. Still on Henning.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Im not for running Henne out of town, but I have to admit Hyde's article was hard to argue against.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Keep the pass, if the hole opens up, take it yourself!

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne is a loser with a capital L....He has had plenty of time to learn. He is a serviceable backup QB, but that is it.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I call BS on the coach called it.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

Me too. All the teams with great defenses we played this season, and the Browns catch something as obvious as a low delivery?

BS.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah....everything is fine....10 points against the 4-7 Browns....at home. Homer blinders for everyone!!! :)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

But they smashed the Pats and The Saints and took the Jets to OT surely that's counts for something right???

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah...it means they are better than the Dolphins.

I called it a couple weeks ago...this team would lose to either the Browns or the Raiders. I expect the Pats and Jets will spank the Fins....as will the Bills in the cold. Our last hope for a win is probably against the Lions....and that game is a toss up....

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:59 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Yea I wouldn't be surprise if the pats and jets dry humps us up and down the field but we do play them away so we do have a shot I mean Sanchez is as bad as henne granted he has luck on his side so could pull it off.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:15 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphins are even worse when the weather is cold....if that is possible.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I read on another theard that henne had a passer rating of 37.something and if you threw everypass into the ground he would of had a passer rating of 39.something how can that be thats just mind blowing!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Me too. All the teams with great defenses we played this season, and the Browns catch something as obvious as a low delivery?

BS.

Who said the other teams didn't see that as well? It's not like this was the first game he's had his passes tipped.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah...he had a stellar 37.8 rating....at home, against the Browns....Yep....no problems here....just give him some time :) :) :) :hithead:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Henne is a loser with a capital L....He has had plenty of time to learn. He is a serviceable backup QB, but that is it.

I hope the owner feels the same way by now

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yeah...he had a stellar 37.8 rating....at home, against the Browns....Yep....no problems here....just give him some time

2 rookie UDFA playing WR also.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yeah....everything is fine....10 points against the 4-7 Browns....at home. Homer blinders for everyone!!! :)

you got that right. More excuses.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The Dolphins are even worse when the weather is cold....if that is possible.

I think we have a good team. Just no quarterback.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The team is better in some respects....but QB is only our biggest problem. After that, in no particular order,....no explosiveness at running back, a revolving door offensive line, a putrid special teams unit that fails on one important play every week, an inability to cover tight ends running free in the middle of the field, a lack of a pass rush threat beyond Wake, too many injuries too often....etc....etc. I have been very vocal in my disdain for Henning, but when you see such an awful performance by the QB you have to wonder just how much that has been keeping Henning's play calling so close to the vest.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The team is better in some respects....but QB is only our biggest problem. After that, in no particular order,....no explosiveness at running back, a revolving door offensive line, a putrid special teams unit that fails on one important play every week, an inability to cover tight ends running free in the middle of the field, a lack of a pass rush threat beyond Wake, too many injuries too often....etc....etc. I have been very vocal in my disdain for Henning, but when you see such an awful performance by the QB you have to wonder just how much that has been keeping Henning's play calling so close to the vest.
All that stuff is ignored.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Cisco_56 wrote:
But they smashed the Pats and The Saints and took the Jets to OT surely that's counts for something right???

Yeap, its worth another six pack as we sit on the couch in yet another post-season and watch teams other than the Dolphins. I'd rather suffer through another 1-15 season than another 8-8 with a team that just toys with your hopes. At least at 1-15 there's the number 1 pick in the draft.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
With the score tied at 10 and 1:05 left in the fourth quarter, Cleveland linebacker David Bowens got off his block at just the right time to deflect Chad Henne's short pass straight up in the air. The ball fell into the hands of defensive back Mike Adams, who rumbled 25 yards to Miami's 2 yard line.

"I gave him a present there," Henne said.

"I got an early Christmas gift," Adams said.

The Dolphins, with just one timeout remaining, were helpless to stop the clock. After three kneel-downs, Cleveland kicked a 23-yard field goal as time expired.

"We let them hang around," receiver Davone Bess said, "and it came back and bit us in the rear end."

The deflected pass was no accident, said Bowens, who played for the Dolphins from 2001 through '06. The Browns' defense watched extensive film of Henne's previous 10 games this season, not just the recent games.

"His first four games I think he had 12 balls deflected," Bowens said. "What we wanted to do is, if we didn't get enough pressure, just get a hand up."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... 01510.html

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Cleveland's strategy per Sparano was to make Henne be patient. No seriously .....

Quote:
Now, there's an assessment hinting at the possibility that Henne, deep into his second season as Miami's starter, is behind on the learning curve.

So does this quote by Henne himself: "They were making me work ... go through the progression and see if I had checked the ball down (to) make the right decision."

And it was Sparano who said Cleveland's strategy against Henne was simply to "make him be patient with the football."

The uh-oh factor is obvious, or should be, if Henne still presents as great a danger to his team as he does to an opponent.

The Dolphins surely would trade a bit of Henne's sensational possibilities for a decrease in damaging errors. He had more interceptions than touchdown passes last season, and is at it again this time around.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dol ... 01030.html

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From Mangini ....

Quote:
It wasn't all luck, though. The Browns detected Henne's low release point on film, so they knew raising their arms near the line of scrimmage could pay off. Bowens batted three passes, including the one Adams picked off.

''Batted balls is something we had seen on tape,'' Browns coach Eric Mangini said. ''. . . .Quite a few picks have come off of that, so I was happy to see the way it developed.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/111361694.html

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'll give Hyde credit in that he has consistently questioned and dismissed Henne. At least he holds his position.

If Henne comes out next week and has another game like he did against the Raiders you'll see the media say that Miami has to stick with Henne because of his potential. They waffle as much as the fans.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I guess we shouldn't believe the coach of the Browns either, right? It's not bad luck. It's Henne's release point, which is another neagtive about him as our QB. Three picks this game, all his fault.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
I guess we shouldn't believe the coach of the Browns either, right? It's not bad luck. It's Henne's release point, which is another neagtive about him as our QB. Three picks this game, all his fault.

Yup. Brees is 2 inches shorter and he manages to get the ball out without getting it tipped at the line of scrimmage constantly.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
The deflected pass was no accident, said Bowens, who played for the Dolphins from 2001 through '06. The Browns' defense watched extensive film of Henne's previous 10 games this season, not just the recent games.

"His first four games I think he had 12 balls deflected," Bowens said. "What we wanted to do is, if we didn't get enough pressure, just get a hand up."

Bowens must be one hell of a liar :)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I can't believe anyone is making excuses for Henne....he had a QB rating of 37 this week. He was simply awful. Once again, the Dolphins lose at home...and this time to a 4-7 football team.....and the Dolphins can only manage 10 pts....with 3 of those points coming off a 60 yard miracle kick. :hithead:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]