View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 OT: Vikings fire Childress 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

OT: Vikings fire Childress
I'm pretty sure we all saw this coming....

Quote:
Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress has been fired.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports is first reported, and the Vikings have confirmed, that Childress has been fired.

This morning the Vikings announced that Childress would meet the press for his regularly scheduled weekly press conference, which some assumed meant he was safe for at least another week.

But that assumption was incorrect: Childress is out.

Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has been named the interim head coach for the rest of the 2010 season. Frazier and Vikings owner Zygi Wilf will address the media this afternoon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... childress/

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Vikings fire Childress
its a short walk from the palace to the outhouse in this business

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Quote:
its a short walk from the palace to the outhouse in this business

you aint kidding!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't like Childress, but I think this is a premature move by Wilf .... unless there are some real internal problems going on with the team.

As far as Frazier is concerned, he'll be on the market as a head coach, so, at least now they'll get to see what he can do for 6 games.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I don't like Childress, but I think this is a premature move by Wilf ....

I disagree. I didn't like Childress from the get-go. He's not a good coach...he's had numerous game management problems...that's what a head coach is for, to manage the game.

We all saw against Miami with his 4th down decisions. He's had clock management problems, poor challenges, etc.

Then he started to lose control so his personality even proved to be bad for a head coaching spot. He wasn't a good hire, and if I were a Viking fan I'd be elated.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:25 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
I don't like Childress, but I think this is a premature move by Wilf ....

I disagree. I didn't like Childress from the get-go .... then he started to lose control so his personality even proved to be bad for a head coaching spot.

Don't forget about the rest of my sentence ... it makes a difference:
Big Dave wrote:
.... unless there are some real internal problems going on with the team.

Iowafin wrote:
He wasn't a good hire, and if I were a Viking fan I'd be elated.

Totally agree. I felt he was immature for the coaching job. And the Vikings fans are ecstatic. They didn't like him from the beginning either.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: OT: Vikings fire Childress
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Favre retired midseason, he's really struggling and opposing defenses know it.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Favre had a magical season last year...but he has come down to earth with a big thud. I think he is a big part of the Vikings' demise. NFL QB's are hard to find though....as we well know.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:09 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

This was a long time coming..... well maybe not a long time, but since the Miami loss, the Vikings have been completely exposed. Teams can run against the Vikes this season, and Childress went ALL IN for Favre and banked his job on it. This man is pathetic as a Head Coach but he DEFINITELY has value as an Offensive mind, and will be an OC again by New Years.

Question is.... Is he worth bringing to Miami? I pose this not to bring the whole, lets take another team's scrub and hope he can turn it around. But given his reputation in the West Coast Offense, and his successes. He led a Andy Reid Eagles team to a Super Bowl berth against the Patsies 5 years ago. He climbed the Vikings from a 6-10 team to the NFC Championship game in 4 years offensively last season.

Given our personnel. While we are by no means a West Coast style Offense, we do have the personnel for it. It is 100% clear that we need a new offensive direction. Could this be the answer? We have a young QB that has been coached NOT TO MAKE MISTAKES, but also shows tendencies of mentor Chad P, and often dinks and dunks. Childress would be able to UNLEASH the Henne, and play to his tendencies with a West Coast Style..... Bess became a Dolphin after 4 years in the Run N' Gun in Hawaii, and would be a perfect complement to a West Coast Style. Marshall would be able to excel in a system designed not to feature a #1 WR, but one that spreads out the coverage and allows him to see more one-on-ones. We all know that Williams is an experiences pass blocker, and has escaped out of the pocket for an outlet more times than he gets looked upon. Hartline could get more looks in a 3 WR set and enhance his own development (plus, not to be racist, there always seems to be a WHITE receiver on the better WC teams). If Ronnie Brown is resigned for next season, we all know what Cam Cameron was able to do with him as a catching threat. Our OL, when it was healthy, was giving MORE than enough time to let Henne throw it....

Given his track record, Childress will be one of the top Offensive Coordinators on the market this offseason. This team's offensive potential has been held in check by bad play calling, an outdated OC, and poor execution. They only seem to find their stride when EVERYTHING is going right, and that is not how to win football games. Calculated risks are what is to be coached, not the lets not lose this one guys mentality that this regime has been holding on to. With Parcells packing up and leaving, Ireland is in charge.

We do not need to fire Sparano. He has done an admirable job with what he has had to work with. This team is young, and if we were in any other Division not ending in the word East, this team would be sitting on a playoff seed, even with the injuries. Do we need a new OC? YES.

If we go the logical route and promote from within, Lee may get the job. This would not retard the Offense with new terminology and could be the most effective in the short term. BUT, what if we radically changed direction. Keep the regime in place for what it is, and bring in an experienced OC, one that brings a more exciting flavor. I think with Childress, maybe our defense wouldnt be relied upon to carry us to under 20 point victories.

Could Sparano and Childress co-exist. I doubt it. They have different philosophies all together. But what a marriage it would make. Sparano, the hard nosed, blue collar, lovable coach paired with an abrasive disciplinarian OC. Maybe. Just maybe. I would like to see this avenue at least addressed this off-season. We are known to bring in the big name. All we need is an OC, not a new HC. What if we take a pro?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:16 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The flood gates have opened on NFL Head Coaches. The big name high priced coaches will have their pick of teams in 2011. The percentages are pure speculation on my part, especially since there are seven games left.

1. Wade Phillips - done
2. Brad Childress - done

* Eric Mangini - 50%
* Marvin Lewis - 85%
* Gary Kubiak - 30%
* Jeff Fisher - 5% Only if the owner picks Vince Young over him.
* Josh McDaniels - 65%
* John Fox - 99%
* Ken Whisenhunt - 50%
* Mike Singletary - 99%

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:10 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Wasnt it Childress who sent the private jet , with the team captains & some of Favres friends to his home & said dont come back without him.
Maybe Farve really wanted to retire & just doesnt have the deire this season.
Another reason why Childress had to take the fall I suppose. Either way I would think you have to see what Tavaris Jackson can do on the field.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:28 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Favre had a magical season last year...but he has come down to earth with a big thud. I think he is a big part of the Vikings' demise. NFL QB's are hard to find though....as we well know.

Favre has been a part of the problem, but I think their problems are more than Favre. He doesn't play defense and this defense does not look like last year's defense. I think they should give the ball to Travares Jackson and see if he has anything to give the team in the future. Favre can either retire or back him up as their season is over.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]