View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Well, where do we go from here? 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Well, where do we go from here?
I figure its time to start this thread as I am sure we're done for this year. Questions I have....
Does Ross allow things to stay the same as he is still in his honeymoon stage as an NFL owner?
If Sparano stays, does he change his coaching staff?
What is the most glaring need this off season?
Do we have anyone that can put this team on their shoulders and bring them together?
How long will we have to put up with this mediocre team?
:embarrassed:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Well, where do we go from here?
We have to start over. This regime is no better than anything we have seen since the great Don Shula was shoved out the door.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We had a fluke first year with these guys, but Im beginning to see some regression, kind of like Saban did. That being said, its just possible that we are young and going throw growing pains. I don't know to be honest. What I can tell you is that Im sick of the idiotic decision making, poor personal moves, and poor player preparation coming from this regime. At the very least Henning needs to go, Sparano might be next on that list and Im starting to really dislike Nolan as well.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:54 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The sad thing to me is that I have no clue who we can go to if we do change the head coach and/or GM. I really don't want a recycled HC (i.e. Gruden, Cowher). Are there any up and coming coaches that it would be worth to take a chance on?

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We don't have a regime problem.

We don't have a coaching problem.

We don't a scheme problem.

We don't even have a playcalling problem.

Our woes this season all boil down to just one factor: we have not been able to run the ball at all.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Did you stop to think we can't run the ball because of the lousy scheme, regime, play-calling and coaching????? All the injuries are ridiculous and I think that has something to do with crappy conditioning and that is on the staff.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

eleaf wrote:
We don't have a regime problem.

We don't have a coaching problem.

We don't a scheme problem.

We don't even have a playcalling problem.

Our woes this season all boil down to just one factor: we have not been able to run the ball at all.

So are you saying we should cut Ricky and Ronnie? Who cut all those OL guys from last year ... you know the ones who led the team to the top 4 in rushing? That would be the coaches. Who didn't re-sign Jason Taylor? That would be the coaches. Who let Matt Roth go...that would be the coaches. Who put Will Allen on IR...that would be the coaches. Who sold the farm for Brandon the Cancer Marshall...that would be the coaches. Who got rid of J-Peezy because he was just like Marshall...that would be the coaches. Who has taken this team which is top 12 offense and top 8 defense and has gone 3-5 in the last 8 games..... Who chose the players (if they're not performing then they chose the groceries)...that would be the coaches again. Time to clean house. I'm tired of the schtick. Time to get Gruden or Cowher on the phone. Sparano has had his 3 years and they've gotten worse each year.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

See, I think Nolan has actually been a pretty bright addition to our squad, but it seems every time a pass gets thrown at our defenders it's always "almost picked off." We never get the actual pick, that's because our secondary is mediocre and mostly either young or guys at the end of their careers.

Our offense on the other hand is completely ridiculous. You have two punishing runners in Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, a Pro Bowl LT, a Pro Bowl WR, and some great possession receivers and yet you cannot capitalize on ANYTHING. We still need a franchise QB. Quarterback has always been this team's downfall. Our defense was pretty good tonight, but come on you can't expect them to be on the field 75% of the time and win the ball game. Our lackluster offense did nothing to support the defense. The last couple of weeks we were complaining about kicking 5 FG's a game, and this week we couldn't even get one field goal, it's ridiculous. Dan Henning needs to go NOW. As far as I'm concerned our entire offensive coaching staff needs to go, there is not one bright spot on this offense.

We need to quit being such wimps and go after a freaking established QB or throw a 1st rounder and draft a QB. It's ridiculous how many guys have come and gone since Marino in '99.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

R&R express this ... R&R express that. I have always said there was never an express just a loose caboose. These guys have never exceled while playing together. Dont even mention them as one of the best RB tandems.
Also I am tired of hearing how young we are & using that as an excuse. The Patriots are revamping , getting younger & it is not costing them in the win column & has not affected them winning the division. I thought we had a real window this season. I did not think the Jets were all that good as far as their hype went & I thought the Patriots were due for an off year while their defense matured. If we are not careful Buffalo will soon surpass us.
I really bought in this year & I am not jumping off this ride yet but for whatever reason , maybe it was crazy but I thought year 3 of a parcells staff would contend.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I want the whole staff gone....this team is awful and just keeps getting worse. Trade Marshall, trade Ronnie (not a knock on him, just timing and need for draft picks here). Get rid of the whole staff though....root out the cancer and begin the rebuilding process anew.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:26 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Where do we go from here?

A Heat game.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:28 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I felt that Ronnie and Ricky were past their prime and running on borrowed time. We have needed a RB for the last couple of years. Who out there (draft wise) will we be able to pick up in the 10-15 area of the first round? Or do we go QB?
So many questions.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:

A Heat game.

:)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

We will never b a great team if you fans wana switch everything every time things don't go to far... we are one of the youngest teams in the league let's just let a team learn to play together yes Marshall is an idiot but you have to admit when he is on the field this team is way better.... henning is the only coach that needs to go... we played horrible but u can also c the difference henne makes when he is in the game the ball moves so how bout you guys jus back your team and stop expecting more then you should and giving up we aren't a great team because we never have the same coaching staff the same players or the same atmosphere cause fans jump the boat and make it harder for a team to perform... y do you think we can't win at home

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

3 years is enough time in today's NFL to show improvement. Miami fans have been very patient. This team has a miserable recent history...and by recent, I mean about a decade.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:59 am

3-5 over the last 8 games. You are what your record says you are. Miami is fielding a loser and it doesn't matter who the QB is. Henne would've been put on IR had he been in the game tonight. Thigpen was running for his life. The OL is in shambles. The running game is non-existant. You have to say if the meal taste bad and your chef got to pick the ingredients, its time to find a new chef.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I understand you are right about that but this team can't score that's y we lose and the players are well coached except for Marshall who was honestly just kidding with a friend in his old qb when he threw the ball at him... for us doing bad this year its all on offensive production and dumb play calling which falls on henning and hennes lack of production we need to stop getting these late round qbs in the draft and get competitive players who aren't afraid to play the game... and an offensive coordinator who's afraid to take chances

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:07 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
Miami fans have been very patient

thats hilarious!!!!!..after this disappointing night, i really needed that!!...This tea is light years away from where we where when Cam was here....We are young and on D light years better then last years team...When Henning goes this off season, Lee will step in...we obviously need interior line help and a RB...don't see pressing needs anywhere on the team other then that

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Cam wasn't the beginning of this team being bad, he was just at the deepest part of the abyss. This team has been mediocre or worse for a long time. The 2008 season was just a tease and a fantastically easy schedule....the team revealed its true talent level when the playoffs started.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

the first year I agree, we really didn't have the talent of a playoff team and that was exposed...to be honest with you, we haven't been a powerhouse since the 70's.....Marino had bad playoff numbers and while we had winning records in the 80's and 90's we paled in comparison to the cowboys, packers, niners, broncos, colts, pats etc...we need continuity...most of the teams that are good today have had the same offense for years.... our scheme is fine..the play calling and execution has sucked...the interior of our O-line is the only area of the team that needs to be totally rebuilt..Henning will be gone and I think Lee will excel calling plays..our ST have solidified, what was the Saints record the year before they won the SB....8-8...following a 7-9 2007..good thing they didn't clean house then !!!..when healthy I think we have 18 or 19 starters out of the 22 that are good enough to play on a SB winning team... obviously all 3 interior line positions and the jury is still out on Henne...so all this year is a wash... I don't see all the doom and gloom here based on facts, but on emotion following this stinging loss.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I want the whole staff gone....this team is awful and just keeps getting worse. Trade Marshall, trade Ronnie (not a knock on him, just timing and need for draft picks here). Get rid of the whole staff though....root out the cancer and begin the rebuilding process anew.

Perspective.

Awful teams go 1-15. Team like Buffalo (1-8) are awful. We have lots of problems. most of them injury related, and we have some problems with getting in good personnel that will stay healthy in key positions. Our OLine has been nothing but a mish-mosh of guys for a very long time. We had some promising guys, many of whom did not work out. Grove couldn't stay healthy. Thomas turned in to a liability. (Remember that neither of those guys are playing anywhere right now). Our guys are beat up now. Carey and Long have been the only success stories. Until we get stability at the OLine, we're gonna be a team looking for something.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:34 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

eleaf wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Perspective.

Awful teams go 1-15. Team like Buffalo (1-8) are awful. We have lots of problems. most of them injury related, and we have some problems with getting in good personnel that will stay healthy in key positions. Our OLine has been nothing but a mish-mosh of guys for a very long time. We had some promising guys, many of whom did not work out. Grove couldn't stay healthy. Thomas turned in to a liability. (Remember that neither of those guys are playing anywhere right now). Our guys are beat up now. Carey and Long have been the only success stories. Until we get stability at the OLine, we're gonna be a team looking for something.
We should have kept Satele.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:53 am

Alex13 wrote:

Interesting that this former bust or ours who could not run block is anchoring an offensive line that blocks for the 2nd most productive rushing game in the NFL. 162.2 yards per rush.

Yep, I was against getting rid of Satele when everyone else here thought the guy was a bust after playing his second season with a shoulder injury.

But the Dolphins wanted "their guy".

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:31 am

Im not sure if I still by this young team thing. The difference in age from the youngest average aged team to the oldest is only 3 years & that obviously counts every player. I wonder what would happen if you counted just starters. Like I said earlier , other teams seem to get younger without sacrificing much in the standings. That is just the sign of a good stable staff I guess. There were also alot of other teams who were just awful a few years ago who seem to be making strides that will prolong their ability to compete. We were awful at 1-15 , no doubt. But we brought in the one guy who was the unaminous choice to turn this thing around. I dont know if 11-5 was a fluke because you do not make your own schedule & you still have to go out & execute. No game is a gimme in this league. But what concerns me is that i am starting to think there is a regression , something I did not even consider would happen in year 3.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:08 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Oakland, to start a four game winning streak. The season will come down to beating the Patriots on the road.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:10 am

FINesse wrote:
I wonder what would happen if you counted just starters.

Your two corners and free safety, outside linebackers, defensive tackle, and one defensive end are pretty young.

Your offensive line, fullback, wide receivers and quarterback are as well.

Any questions?

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I am the poster child for Dolphins homers, always a glass half full guy. Hell I defended Ginn like he was a family member. For the first time EVER I shut off the game last night before it was over. I am tired of the consistent bad coaching decisions killing this team week after week. We are not only a bad team, we are BORING to watch. There is no excitement, nothing to hang our hat on. I have been a Dolphins fan since the Csonka, Griese days, but my patience is wearing thin. This team needs to show ME that they are serious. I would rather play golf Sunday than watch this crap.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Alex13 wrote:

Interesting that this former bust or ours who could not run block is anchoring an offensive line that blocks for the 2nd most productive rushing game in the NFL. 162.2 yards per rush.

Yep, I was against getting rid of Satele when everyone else here thought the guy was a bust after playing his second season with a shoulder injury.

We were singing the same song I believe.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We've talked about it before, the evaluations made by this regime can be called into question.

They have a very young team. I realize they want to win now, but they are not as good as they pretend to be. You want to go young then you take the good with the bad in terms of development.

Eleaf is very correct in that the lack of running the ball is killing this team. Why? Because they have built their team and philosophy around it. They opted to go with a discount O-line based on who was tougher in training camp and you are seeing the results. I can't say whether keeping Grove, Smiley or Thomas would have provided for a better ground game, but they seemed to be doing okay last year. While the current crop has kept Henne upright for the most part, their inability to open up the ground game and Henning's tendency to load up on passing plays have taken this team away from their strengths.

The season isn't over. Lets wait until Miami is mathematically eliminated before the white flag is raised.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henning is the only staffer I still have problems with. Coaches, especially first time coaches, should be afforded some time to loose. Last night was not in anyone's control. We only had one starter left on the OL last night and he (Long) was playing though an injury. Gimme a break. The defense did an amazing job considering they were dimed out by the O.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Phin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Alex13 wrote:

We were singing the same song I believe.

Yeah he sustained that shoulder injury mid-season and then was jetisoned without explanation. Jake Grove was signed to replace him. Look this regime is actually a decent gameday coaching staff but whomever is making the personnel decisions, needs to go. Grove and Smiley anchored a unit that finished 4th in the league in rushing last season.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Two guys were suppose to help on defense: A.J. Edds and Jared Odrick....both got hurt.
Then the revolving door started for the bottom of the roster, making the special teams putrid.
Dan Henning couldn't call a game to save his life, the special teams coach was fired and it got better, and the defense continued to be mediocre.
Sparano decides putting in Pennington would put a fire in the team....he got hurt. Then Henne got hurt. Then Berger got hurt, then Clemons then Marshall....

The fans are frustrated and the team is frustrated.
I'd let Henning go, but I for one would give Sparano at least another offseason to draft and get players healthy. Stop the revolving door at positions and let them develop and play. Same for the coach. Let's get some consistency going and we'll see things get better.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The team has been making horrible personnel decisions for a few years now. Whoever is responsible needs to be shown the door. I suspect that includes the head coach. Henning is awful in his play calling and he needs to be gone now. He is so bad that it will be addition by subtraction. The only game Henning seemed to have his head in gear was the game against the Titans....guess the short week was too much. Marshall is such a great talent, but he is not mature or composed enough to deal with the adversity generated by playing on a bad team. He will thrive somewhere else, but he is hurting our team now. Ronnie Brown might be good trade bait for picks now. We ought to consider moving him if he has trade value. I would love to draft Vereen out of Cal as our next running back, but he could be the #1 pick.....

Oh....and the injury issues....many coming without contact....are so common in today's Miami team that I have to think conditioning is an issue.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The team has been making horrible personnel decisions for a few years now.

They've also made some great ones....which can't be said for previous regimes.
Jake Long, Dan Carpenter, Chad Henne (he can still be a franchise qb believe it or not), Davone Bess, Chris Clemons, Cameron Wake, Kendall Langford, Vontae Davis, Randy Starks, etc.

They've put together a great corps of guys. And I still Brandon Marshall can work out if they deal with this correctly.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Why did we revamp an offensive line that was already playing well? Why do we keep using our high picks for beef on the lines and they end up injured or on the bench? Why doesn't this team draft more play makers on offense (like a franchise QB and not a bargain in the second round)? The list of successes you have up there can be challenged with a larger number of failures....and I don't think anyone can call Henne "great" yet.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
Well, where do we go from here?

Tampa? They are looking good this year...

Heat game? They are struggling to get some consistancy, but they are going to make a run at the end of the season..

Panthers? Marlins? Nah, enough heartache with the Dolphins....

Go Bucs..... Go Heat....

See you in March Dolphins, you let me down again.... "maybe next year"

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Why did we revamp an offensive line that was already playing well?

Injuries...

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
They've also made some great ones....which can't be said for previous regimes.
Jake Long, Dan Carpenter, Chad Henne (he can still be a franchise qb believe it or not), Davone Bess, Chris Clemons, Cameron Wake, Kendall Langford, Vontae Davis, Randy Starks, etc.

They've put together a great corps of guys. And I still Brandon Marshall can work out if they deal with this correctly.

Agreed. I think they have a group that can win, they just need to develop more. The offensive line is a concern. Its hindsight but I wish they had kept Grove, Smiley and Thomas to see how they would have played out. Its not like they couldn't have had Incognito, Berger and Jerry coming off the bench.

Get the ground game moving, let Henne open it up a bit, and get some stick'um on the hands of the secondary and this team should be moving in the right direction.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Mindtornado wrote:

Oakland, to start a four game winning streak. The season will come down to beating the Patriots on the road.

Every year since the mid 90's and excluding 2003, a 5-5 team has made the playoffs.

The Jets were 4-6 at this time last season.

As for where we go from here, Sparano and Gugs have to get the Oline cleaned up, it really is that simple as no Qb will be successful being sacked 6 times, this team cannot be successful running the ball less than 10 times.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:56 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I seriously think we need to do this by process of elimination. I think first and foremost Henning needs to go and I mean now. If you want to build, then we need to get the players confidence in the coaching staff right now. Give Nolan his due diligence with the defense and Sparano another year with a different offensive philosophy. But, Sparano should be on a very short leash

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next