View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ask Mike: Will OC Dan Henning retire after this season? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ask Mike: Will OC Dan Henning retire after this season?
Quote:
Q: Mike, with Chad Pennington’s apparent career-ending injury and his high regard within the Dolphins’ hierarchy, what is the likelihood of Dan Henning retiring after the season, David Lee becoming the OC, and Pennington becoming the quarterbacks coach? Seems like the perfect storm. Ed, Evanston, Ill.

MIKE: Henning, the league’s oldest offensive coordinator at 68, doesn’t need the money and really doesn’t need the aggravation either, so I’d say it’s very possible we’re looking at his final lap as a full-time playcaller in the NFL. Remember, he only came out of retirement as a favor to Bill Parcells, who obviously has a different role in the organization now. Henning’s competitiveness, however, could entice him to give it another go in 2011.

Lee would be an excellent choice whenever Henning steps aside. I’m told Lee has had a tremendous impact on Tyler Thigpen since his arrival from Kansas City at the end of September 2009. And Tim Tebow should be sending Lee a percentage of every one of his game checks after the long hours Lee put in prepping him for the draft in the spring. No way Tebow goes in the first round without Lee’s mechanical makeover that began at the Senior Bowl nearly three months before draft day.

As for Pennington, he has a young family, three boys ages 6, 4 and 1 – “They barely know they’re in the world,” he said recently. “They’re just glad to be here” — and he’s said repeatedly he sees himself coaching on Friday nights someday, not Sunday afternoons. But could Pennington be enticed to stick around as an offensive consultant next season, perhaps with more flexible hours that would enable him to still maintain a strong family life? Dolphins fans should certainly hope so.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ask Mike: Will OC Dan Henning retire after this season?
I said it before. Henning out, Lee up, Penny in.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Ski_Money wrote:
I said it before. Henning out, Lee up, Penny in.

I sure wouldnt mind that set up if it happens to go that way...

Of course there could be other avenues come the off season when they have more time. But I do think hiring from within a much better option as the players are already familliar, Lee knows the philosophy and would just have to tweak the offense a little more to his style..

That is, whatever style he uses of coarse...

So long as it doesnt seem like our QB is afraid to throw a ball and give his WR's a chance to make a play I will be happy..

Dr Sparano will probably rework the o-line again this year... Cant think he is happy with the run game at all...

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Boy I sure hope so. It would be a nice breath of fresh air. As for Pennington, I would imagine if the right numbers were thrown at him he would stay as a QB coach.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lee is the guy who brought the Wildcat to Miami. Lee is the innovative offensive mind in Miami. Henning retiring would be a good way for him and Sparano to save face after this terrible offensive season. Lee could spark life into the offense and open things up. Pennington could step in and possibly be the quarterbacks coach or some other type of assistant coach. Sounds like a dream scenario. I hope it happens this way, but I'm not getting my hopes us about it. I could see Henning dragging this offense through the mud for the next two/three years.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]