View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Will Miami Dolphins try to tame Tyler Thigpen? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Will Miami Dolphins try to tame Tyler Thigpen?
Quote:
by: Omar Kelly November 15th, 2010 | 7:50 AM Tyler Thigpen’s clutch performance in Sunday’s win over the Tennessee Titans might have taken South Florida by surprise, but it certainly didn’t shock the Miami Dolphins defense.
As the Dolphins’ former third-string quarterback Thigpen’s responsible for getting the first-team defense ready for it’s opponent. Each week he’s a nightmare to defend because of his ability to improvise and make unorthodox plays.

Is Tyler Thigpen starter material?
“He’s got something,” cornerback Sean Smith said. “He’s always fun to watch.”
Not so fun to play against because he’s a gambling playmaker. Titans coach Jeff Fisher knew this before Sunday’s game because his team has faced Thigpen in 2008.
In that game, a 34-10 loss, Thigpen completed 5-of-11 passes for 75 yards, and gained 21 yards and scored a touchdown on three carries for the Chiefs.
After entering that game as a reserve in the second half Thigpen was named the Chiefs starter, a position he’d hold for the final 10 games.
“He has a great future,” Fisher said of Thigpen on Sunday.
“It’s huge when you can put the next guy in and not miss a beat. And in some cased gain a beat,” defensive end Kendall Langford said. “Tyler played great for us.”
For those interested in a little background in Thigpen here’s a story I wrote on the eve of training camp’s start back in late July.
It was titled: GAMBLING QB: Does Tyler Thigpen have discipline to be Dolphins’ No. 2?
This Thursday we’ll learn if he has the skills to become the the Dolphins starting quarterback.
Here’s the story:
Armed with a penchant for improvisation, Tyler Thigpen openly admits he only knows how to play football one way: relying heavily on instinct.
If shares of Thigpen were sold on the market, he might be declared a junk bond because there’s a high level of risk associated with this self-declared gambler.
But the Miami Dolphins also realize Thigpen could significantly enhance the team’s portfolio because he’s the type of quarterback that could produce a big return if managed properly.
“When you’ve relied on your natural instinct for so long it’s hard to shut it off or tell it to be quiet,” said Thigpen, whose unorthodox style allowed the Dolphins to make last year’s season finale against Pittsburgh competitive.
In that game, Thigpen took over when Chad Henne and Pat White both suffered injuries. Thigpen rallied the team from a 27-10 fourth-quarter deficit. He led the offense to two touchdowns (throwing for one) late in the fourth quarter, but he also threw two interceptions in the game’s closing minutes to seal the 30-24 loss.
But he kept things exciting, which is the norm during practices.
“He’s a player,” said receiver Brian Hartline. “He gets out there and competes. It might not be textbook all the time, but the dude produces and makes plays. I think Tyler is a good player.”

Thigpen, 26, admits the biggest challenge he faces this camp is to stay within the framework of the offense. Quarterback coach David Lee has been working with him on it all offseason, and now everyone will learn how much this wild quarterback can be tamed.
“At this level it’s important to stay back there, make your reads and not have happy feet. I’m trying to learn I don’t have to go out there and try to make the big play every time,” said Thigpen, who completed 54 percent of his passes, threw for 2,608 yards, and ran for another 386 yards in his 11 starts for the Chiefs in 2008. “I’m learning to just take what [the defense] gives me. Keep taking it and they will allow you to make the big plays if you read it properly.”
And have the patience and discipline to wait on it, which is what Thigpen’s gunning for.
Deuces.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... igpen.html

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Will Miami Dolphins try to tame Tyler Thigpen?
You don't tame someone like Thigpen...his game is improv. He will make mistakes, but that's why he's a backup.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

– Not to go too crazy, but Thigpen was money yesterday. He threaded the needle to Brandon Marshall for a 16-yard gain on the sideline, kept a play alive with his feet and improvised with Fasano on a 31-yard gain, fired a fastball to Fasano in double-coverage for the game-clinching touchdown, and ran out the clock with a 7-yard gain on a naked bootleg on third-and-4. “Man that was big,” Channing Crowder said. “Going into the game thinking you’re not playing, just third guy, backing up, you’re writing down the plays, and now you’re thrown in in a close game. I said I trust all three guys, and it showed today.”

Thigpen's play got everyone fired up / Greg Lovett, Post staff
– Thigpen played last year in Week 17 as the third quarterback, and the Dolphins learned a valuable lesson that day to tailor specific plays for each quarterback. So Sparano explained that before every game, each quarterback hands offensive coordinator Dan Henning a sheet with his favorite or most comfortable plays on it. Thigpen’s 9-yard touchdown pass to Fasano was one of those plays. “That touchdown pass down there, he didn’t take one rep at that during the course of the week,” Sparano said. “He really felt convicted about that and made a heck of a decision and a heck of a throw.”

– Thigpen also was a big ball of excitement in the huddle during his touchdown drive, jumping up and down, slapping everyone on the helmet and displaying pure elation after throwing his touchdown. “Everybody was hootin’ and hollerin’ in that huddle,” Incognito said.

– Thigpen credited quarterbacks coach David Lee with keeping him mentally prepared to play even though the only reps he gets in practice are as the scout team QB. Lee gives all three quarterbacks a worksheet every night of things they need to improve on the next day. Lee also “tests us 4-5 times a week to make sure we know our reads and where we’re going with the ball when they’re showing certain coverages,” Thigpen said. “He puts a lot on our shoulders to prepare us.”

QUOTES OF THE DAY

“He was crunk, too. He was off the chain out there, jumping around slapping people in the helmet and everything.”
– Channing Crowder, when asked if Thigpen provided the “spark” the Dolphins needed.

“He went out there and balled out. He looked like a darn Pro Bowler.”
– Crowder, when asked about Thigpen’s play.

“A guy like Tyler coming in, you push all the chips in.”
– Richie Incognito, when asked about the Dolphins’ offensive mentality when Thigpen entered the game.

”As a defense we chase him around most weeks anyway, so we know what he can do.”
– Linebacker Cameron Wake, when asked if he was surprised by Thigpen’s performance.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... er-titans/

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd say we know who the local media is endorsing for the QB job.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Everyone loves the backup quarterback...the first pick he throws against the Bears, everyone will be hollering for whoever Thigpen's backup is.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He's the only one available right now. Why not endorse him? Certainly 100x better then any FA available.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What an interesting take some have.

The first article questions whether he has what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL and the first and second articles have quotes from players who like what they have seen so far in his attitude and his play.

This means then that the local media wants him and everyone loves the backup.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:

The first article questions whether he has what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL and the first and second articles have quotes from players who like what they have seen so far in his attitude and his play.

Its called the hype machine. They probably did it for Henne last year.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Its called the hype machine. They probably did it for Henne last year.

So the hype machine would include an article questioning on whether a Qb has what it takes to be a 1st or 2nd string QB in the nfl and leave you wondering?

That is indeed then a strange kind of hype. Maybe reverse psychology?

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:25 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I was on another board and Jets fans were actually concerned about Thigpen. They said they didn't understand why KC cut bait on him, but he was good. That made me feel better.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
jammer wrote:

Everyone loves the backup quarterback...the first pick he throws against the Bears, everyone will be hollering for whoever Thigpen's backup is.

If anyone expects a player to be perfect and not throw any INT's then they just don't know about football. Thigpen is a risk taker and he may throw an INT and he also may go and light the BEARS up this coming Thursday! I am so glad we have Thigpen finally starting. I have been a true beiliever in him since we traded for him. I was one of the one's who said that we should have traded Pennington at the start of the season because I think that Henne and Thigpen are rising stars. Henne hasn't proven much but it hasn't been all his fault. Our system is just weak and I think Thigpen will change that with his style of play. I also predict Fasano's and Marshall's numbers will go up and they will be his primary targets. Thigpen will get Marshall the ball more and often. Fasano's numbers will go up because now LB's have to account for Thigpen's ability to run and scramble, leaving Fasano more breathing room to operate. This team just got better with Thigpen under center. Watch and see fellas...

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Iowafin wrote:
You don't tame someone like Thigpen...his game is improv. He will make mistakes, but that's why he's a backup.

But will Henning and Sparano ALLOW him to improv???

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

He should be very useful in the Wildcat. The guy can catch and run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsQSBxiz9w

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
So the hype machine would include an article questioning on whether a Qb has what it takes to be a 1st or 2nd string QB in the nfl and leave you wondering?

That is indeed then a strange kind of hype. Maybe reverse psychology?

Sorry but I'm not reading the same skepticism you are. Adding a line of caution doesn't mean the entire article is questioning whether he has it or not. I'm reading a tone of excitement from both the writers and the players they are quoting to back it up. Sounds to me like they are trying to get people excited about what Thigpen may do on the field.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:

Yup, Put it whats his name, that guy down there with the clip board, put in the ball boy

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thigpen is the man for the rest of the season, we need to do our best job to support him. He's definitely wild and can make you scratch you head with how erratic he is from week to week but he does have some big play ability that you can get excited for. We will definitely need to get the run game going to help him. My take, hopefully he can do some good and help us win some games. It will be nice experience that will make him a more valuable #2 for us next season. I still think Henne is the man, but now it's Thigpen's turn. I hope he does well!
:yay:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:25 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

He's shown improvisation, accuracy, positive attitude, no fear of going deep, good feet, and has the glowing endorsement of his team mates ..... He can be erratic but he is definitely exciting to watch .... I say he IS the SPARK that the Dolphins were looking for (just that it took 2 key QB injuries to materialize) ... Just wait and see .... if Tyler plays well against the Bears and over the next few weeks then Henne will have a hard time getting back as the starter this season ... This is Tyler's BIG opportunity, hope he takes it with both hands ... so lets all get behind him and ride Tyler all the the way to the Playoffs and beyond !!!
:yay:

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]