View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Sean Salisbury: Henne won't ever be elite 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Sean Salisbury: Henne won't ever be elite
Quote:
Well, as long as I'm telling you what former NFL quarterbacks and current pundits are saying on radio shows about the Miami Dolphins quarterback situation (see previous post), I figured I'd give you Sean Salisbury's take on Chad Henne.

Salisbury visited my radio show, Armando and the Amigo, this week prior to Henne's benching in Miami. And he basically said Henne will be a solid quarterback in this league.

But never an elite quarterback.

Salisbury, as you can hear on the audio file below, agreed with me that Henne is hard to define because of all the problems that have been happening around him during his 21 games as Miami's starter.

"You and I have pretty much been on the same page," Salisbury said. "I got a message this week from a friend and we were talking about it, and I know the people in South Florida are on Dan Henning and the rest of it. But with Chad, I said the same exact thing almost to a T. I said, 'You know what, the jury is still out.' ... I DVR all the games I can't watch live and I watch and then re-watch them during the week. And, you know, at times I look at Chad and say this is a superstar about to happen. And then the next week I say, 'Is he going to be a star? Is he even going to be able to hold down a job? Is this their future?

"And you know, you guys know me, I'm not a fence-sitter. If I thought Chad sucked I'd say, 'They gotta get a new quarterback.' They need to say that in a bunch of different places. I thought he was going to be great, but I don't know. I've watched him enough. I've seen him make enough throws to know the guy can play. But I've also seen him do some things and make some decisions and make some throws and make some boneheaded decisions to say, 'He's a backup in this league.'

" ... So put it this way, Chad Henne is not ever going to be a guy that carries a franchise on his back like Miami's been used to a whole bunch of years ago when No. 13 was there -- that whenever everything else was going wrong, the quarterback will carry you. I think Chad is a really, really good player when he's got people around him that are making plays, also. So if that makes sense, he's not a Kurt Warner. Kurt Warner could carry a team in Arizona. He leaves and they go to hell in a hand basket. There's quarterbacks that can do that. But there's also quarterbacks you say, 'Ok, this is a guy that's good for us. He's going to go 18 out of 27, throw a touchdown, and we're going to be efficient.' I think Chad can be that guy with an every-now-and-then 300-yard spectacular performance.

"I don't believe you're ever going to look at him and say, 'We're going to load it on [his] back and that's going to be on him.' Chad needs to have a team that runs the football and is going to have guys make some plays for him. I don't think he's going to be that guy you say, 'We're going to franchise him or he's worth $50, $60 million.' I don't think he's that quarterback. But I do think he's a starter in this league."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z15BWHxg8i

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:31 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Sean Salisbury: Henne won't ever be elite
blah blah blah

Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Henne is a guy who will get better. Slowly. Does Miami have the patience to stay with him...I doubt it. Sparano has shown very little tolerance for injuries, mistakes and general poor play.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sean Salisbury??

I honestly have never heard of him... A quick google search showed me why...

I mean why not ask a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader, she actually has more relevance to the NFL that Salisbury, a career chump...

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Good point...Salisbury was nothing more than a career backup

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I believe the players and coaches. Brandon Marshall said Henne could be an All-Pro if the guys around him stepped it up. Ricky Williams said Henne is one of the best in the game when he gets hot. Great quarterbacks need elite guys around them to make them successful. No quarterback ever picked up a lousy team and made them great. They usually had a team built around them that complemented them and then they led that team to greatness. Henne is no different. If you want Henne to do great things, then you need to build around him. They have started to do that, but they have not finished it yet. When the players around him complement him, and they do their jobs week in and week out, we will see great things from Chad Henne.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I agree with Sailsbury, Henne is an average NFL Qb who needs more weapons to do more on the field.

"if" he is going to checkdown and throw high percentage passes then you have to have players who can turn those plays into additional yardage, right now we really do not have those types of players.

We need more speed on offense to make Chad Henne work at Qb, even though if you look at his numbers, he is basically Gus Frerotte part 2, but Gus was 34 in 05 when he had 19 td's and 2900 yds and a 52% completion rate.

Henne is 24 and in his third season, give the man some help in the draft or something.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Show me a QB who has done it with a crap cast?

Peyton Manning has had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. Lets not forget he had Edgerrin James as his HB.

Tom Brady had Deion Branch, Randy Moss, David Patten (he did play well although not a big name), Corey Dillon, Wes Welker...

Roethlisberger had Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller, Jerome Bettis

Drew Brees had Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, Jeremy Shockey, Reggie Bush

Yeah I can go on and on with Kurt Warner, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco... point is its stupid to say any QB can do it without the weapons. They've all bee surrounded by a cast of awesome players to help them win.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I dont think this is a crap cast at all. Marshall , Bess , Hartline , Fasano . Brown & Williams are pretty formidable. Most everyone here liked these guys when they were signed , drafted as well as liked their progression. However good / great QB's make their cast better , takes them to that next level. Henne has not done that ... yet. Hopefully he will while still wearing a Dolphin uniform.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Salisbury was never elite, his opinion means nothing.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There's a real irony in watching people tear apart an opinion because the person giving it wasn't good. If being good at the position was the requirement for validating one's opinion - then practically none of ours matter lol.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
There's a real irony in watching people tear apart an opinion because the person giving it wasn't good. If being good at the position was the requirement for validating one's opinion - then practically none of ours matter lol.

Not all of us get our opinions posted in the Miami Herald as though they were relevant. Salisbury is free to tear apart anyone else's opinion.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
I dont think this is a crap cast at all. Marshall , Bess , Hartline , Fasano . Brown & Williams are pretty formidable. Most everyone here liked these guys when they were signed , drafted as well as liked their progression. However good / great QB's make their cast better , takes them to that next level. Henne has not done that ... yet. Hopefully he will while still wearing a Dolphin uniform.

Not saying it was a crap cast. Just saying that every quarterback who was won has been surrounded by a very good to excellent cast. This is a young team with still developing players.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:45 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I guarantee I have watched more Dolphins games than Sean Salisbury.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This offense reminds me of the Cowboys. So much talent, so little scoring. At least our D won us a couple.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
This offense reminds me of the Cowboys. So much talent, so little scoring. At least our D won us a couple.

It's the mentality and the playcalling. It's an offense that preaches ball control and keeping your defense off the field with long slow developing drives. Quick strikes and big plays are not the preferred method under a Parcells team.
Henne could be elite, but it will take the right circumstances. Right now, we don't have the right kind of situation for Henne to succeed in Miami. If Henning goes, and Sparano opens up his mind, then maybe we can see our offense's true potential.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:07 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

dolphinjim wrote:
Salisbury was never elite, his opinion means nothing.

Salisbury is the most honest analyst of Qb's I've bothered with, far more so than Jaworski or even Steve Young.

He doesn't sugar coat what he thinks of a Qb's play and future.

I do tend to agree with him on the supporting cast statement simply because we have no one who can turn a short pass into a long gain, Beast is being triple covered, Bess does not have good enough wheels and Hartline is to inconsistent.

In case no one has noticed, aside from Ricky's dump off pass for a TD, and Ronnie B's 57 yd run vs the Vikes, neither back is showing much big play ability, so Henne is checking down to Fasano?

Where is he going?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 pm

padre31 wrote:
I agree with Sailsbury, Henne is an average NFL Qb who needs more weapons to do more on the field.

"if" he is going to checkdown and throw high percentage passes then you have to have players who can turn those plays into additional yardage, right now we really do not have those types of players.

We need more speed on offense to make Chad Henne work at Qb, even though if you look at his numbers, he is basically Gus Frerotte part 2, but Gus was 34 in 05 when he had 19 td's and 2900 yds and a 52% completion rate.

Henne is 24 and in his third season, give the man some help in the draft or something.

Why do you think BMarsh was brought in? That and the fact the guy has had mountains of time to throw the ball in most cases. Simply put, Henne needs to step up his game.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:01 am

jammer wrote:

Peyton Manning has had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. Lets not forget he had Edgerrin James as his HB.

Tom Brady had Deion Branch, Randy Moss, David Patten (he did play well although not a big name), Corey Dillon, Wes Welker...

Drew Brees had Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, Jeremy Shockey, Reggie Bush

Yeah I can go on and on with Kurt Warner, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco... point is its stupid to say any QB can do it without the weapons. They've all bee surrounded by a cast of awesome players to help them win.

Sorry dude, you're not making a good case for Henne. Did you just list Robert Meachem, Devery Henderson, David Patten, Jerome Bettis (Did he even play with Big Ben?), Dejon Branch etc etc (I could make the argument that many of these very pedestrian players were made better by the QB.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:04 am

BTW...the offense at the end of last season with Henne, no BMarsh, no Ronnie Brown was better at scoring that the group currently on the field.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:07 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
padre31 wrote:

Why do you think BMarsh was brought in? That and the fact the guy has had mountains of time to throw the ball in most cases. Simply put, Henne needs to step up his game.

Problem is, Beast is triple covered, and double covered, constantly, so who is your playmaker now?

DBess?

Slot Wr he doesn't have the wheels to be a scoring threat anywhere on the field.

Hartline

He has improved, but he is not a threat anywhere on the field.

Then who?

And there is the problem, one playmaker is not enough as they can be taken away via scheme, which would be a good time for RW and Ronnie B to step up against 7 man fronts..and they haven't.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:

Problem is, Beast is triple covered, and double covered, constantly, so who is your playmaker now?

DBess?

Slot Wr he doesn't have the wheels to be a scoring threat anywhere on the field.

Hartline

Then who?

And there is the problem, one playmaker is not enough as they can be taken away via scheme, which would be a good time for RW and Ronnie B to step up against 7 man fronts..and they haven't.

Who was the other playmaker for the Patriots when they scored a million touchdowns with Moss?

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:23 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I for one respect the "Steak's" analysis of Henne. For the most part, I agree with the guy. I also believe for the most part that we have enough offensive weapons around Henne for him to succeed. Perhaps a better #2 receiver, but other than that, there is no reason why the talent surrounding him isn't enough. What I come back to though is the scheme. I don't believe in Henning's scheme, and I don't believe he takes advantage of the strengths of the players on the field. For instance, when Cameron was here, he had Ronnie playing like a one man offense. What Cam is doing for Ray Rice right now, he was doing even better for Ronnie Brown. Guys, the player never changed. Sure Ronnie got hurt, but he came back 100%. The problem isn't Ronnie Brown, the problem is the offensive coordinator does not know how to employ his skills. I gave you an example of one player, now take the offense as a whole. I don't believe any of our offensive weapons are being used efficiently with the possible exception of Bess. So the question we keep coming back to; is the problem 'primarily' Henne or Henning? I know neither are perfect, but who is most in the blame?

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:26 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Because you've never done that...

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Sorry dude, you're not making a good case for Henne. Did you just list Robert Meachem, Devery Henderson, David Patten, Jerome Bettis (Did he even play with Big Ben?), Dejon Branch etc etc (I could make the argument that many of these very pedestrian players were made better by the QB.

I'm not calling them Pro Bowlers. Henderson was a nice complimentary weapon, not an all star or a big target by any means, but a nice option who produced some yards and TDs for Brees. Look at David Pattens' numbers in 01 (SB), 02 and 04 (SB). Look at Branch's numbers for 03 and 05. Meachem produced some good numbers for Brees last year in their SB run.

I'm pretty sure Bettis was part of Big Ben's first SB and was instrumental in them scoring red zone TD's.

Please don't think I'm trying to make the point that everyone was surrounded by Pro Bowl teams. But they were surrounded by guys who produced in a collective effort. They were all good players. To say they could just go out and win with anyone is simply incorrect. The case for Henne is that he has a decent cast, could probably use a few upgrades. To say that he can only win with a good cast and others don't need that is simply wrong.

He proved it last year when he won 7 games with a mediocre at best receiving corp.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:29 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

One thing is certain Salisbury definitely knows what is to be far from elite!

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
padre31 wrote:

DBess?

Hartline

Then who?

Who was the other playmaker for the Patriots when they scored a million touchdowns with Moss?

They did not used to be a very explosive offense, that is a recent change (in 07 it started) before that they were a defense and ball control team with Deon Branch and Faulk scoring the most often, they peddled Branch and traded for Moss and added Welker and their whole offense changed to a kind of spread affair.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Probably has more to do with his current job. He's a commentator for the LFL (Lingerie Football League ).

If he were so knowledgeable to quote, then one would expect him to be doing something a little more respectful in the field of football.

I do not believe anyone is quoting someone on this board to their friends, so why would you quote a LFL commentator?

Besides he lost what respect I had for his opinion when he sent a pic of his package to that woman

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:57 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Besides he lost what respect I had for his opinion when he sent a pic of his package to that woman

Dang, I didn't know Salisbury did that. Still, that doesn't take away from what he knows as an analyst. I would say that he definitely understands "average" play and what it feels to be thought of as the future to only not live up to it.

Quote:
Other than its decidedly 21st-century angles, Sean Salisbury's story is timeless: Show spur-of-the-moment stupidity, deny it in hopes it will be forgotten — then find it follows you around instead.

"I was ashamed, and I didn't want to say anything," says Salisbury, who was an NFL quarterback for eight years and an ESPN NFL analyst for 12. "I thought it would go away and let my ego get in the way. Since then, I've beat myself up about it more than 10 baseball bats could. A stupid mistake can cost you, and this has really cost me. I should have been having this conversation a long time ago."

But what Salisbury, 46, is admitting simply substantiates what's already an urban legend on the Internet: that he took cellphone photos of his private parts and showed them.

Yuck. Salisbury says it only happened once — "a sophomoric mistake" in a Connecticut bar in 2006 — for which ESPN suspended him for a week for then-unspecified reasons.

Salisbury's ESPN contract wasn't renewed in 2008; he says ESPN never specifically cited the incident in letting him go. In September, he was dropped by a Dallas sports-talk-radio station but strictly because of "disagreements over my contract and show content."

Speculation over the incident has popped up on various websites. Salisbury has filed suit against one — Deadspin.com — claiming he has been victimized by its "long-running smear campaign" and "malicious lies." (Deadspin declined comment.)

But by his own admission, Salisbury didn't add to the site's veracity when he had the chance.

He was asked in a Deadspin interview posted Aug. 14, 2008, if he "took a picture of your genitals on your cellphone and showed it around" and whether such "rumors" were "remotely true."

Salisbury's response: "I haven't addressed it because it's so absurd and such a bald-faced lie from what the speculation is out there from media outlets and Internet and bloggers that hop on and want to beat you up because they don't like my opinion in football. It never happened."

That was then.

Now, Salisbury feels better from having had anger-management therapy — "I needed help. I had a lot of inner anger for years." He says he's trying to champion the cause of accuracy in online reporting in a lawsuit against Deadspin that he insists is anything but frivolous.

And the book he said he'd write about ESPN in an erratic e-mail exchange with Deadspin in September — saying "some major reputations" would be ruined — is now off.

"I'm not a tell-all guy and regret saying that," he says.

Salisbury says the online buzz about his pictures had a devastating effect on his kids and put on hold on any national broadcasting comeback.

"It was stupid —dumb!— but not malicious," he says. "How can it ruin a good career? … I've gone from being on six days a week to disappearing. And it's not like I wanted to disappear. … But it feels good getting it off my chest."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnis ... htm?csp=hf

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Because you've never done that...

I stay away from it. I focus on the guy's opinion and not what he did on the football field. Seen plenty of coaches who were never all that great as players.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

I stay away from it. I focus on the guy's opinion and not what he did on the football field. Seen plenty of coaches who were never all that great as players.
I agree, but wouldn't he need to be at least employed in the field to be quotable?

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:

They did not used to be a very explosive offense, that is a recent change (in 07 it started) before that they were a defense and ball control team with Deon Branch and Faulk scoring the most often, they peddled Branch and traded for Moss and added Welker and their whole offense changed to a kind of spread affair.[/quote]

You didn't answer the question.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:

You talk about these QBs as if they had nothing to do with helping their surrounding cast becoming great. I don't "guarantee" many things but I guarantee you if you put Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, or Tom Brady on this team we would've won a heck of a lot more games and the stats of our premier weapons would be much better, they would be smiling, and playing harder.

The QB is a key leadership position and great leaders will inspire others to play harder and play above their ability, to sell out and leave it all on the field.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Landlocator wrote:
jammer wrote:

You talk about these QBs as if they had nothing to do with helping their surrounding cast becoming great. I don't "guarantee" many things but I guarantee you if you put Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, or Tom Brady on this team we would've won a heck of a lot more games and the stats of our premier weapons would be much better, they would be smiling, and playing harder.

The QB is a key leadership position and great leaders will inspire others to play harder and play above their ability, to sell out and leave it all on the field.

I haven't said that at all. The point is that its a team that produces, not just individuals. I'm just saying that winning teams haven't had mediocre players and a great QB.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]