View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Bills interested in a trade for QB Tyler Thigpen? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Bills interested in a trade for QB Tyler Thigpen?
I don't like trading within the division ... especially a quarterback.

Quote:
Thigpen rumors underway
Chris Brown
Posted February 4th, 2010

Various online sites are simply speculating, but ESPN’s Rumor site among others are already guessing that Dolphins 3rd QB Tyler Thigpen could be a fit for the Bills.

They’re going on background information primarily. First, Thigpen played under Gailey in Kansas City in 2008, employing a spread attack with five-wide, an empty backfield and Thigpen in the shotgun.

The rumor reports are also saying that with Chad Pennington expressing a desire to return to the Dolphins in 2010 that Miami may be more ready to move Thigpen. The Dolphins, however, would have to re-sign Pennington, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Personally I think that’s a big ‘if,’ but I will say this, Thigpen is a quarterback that plays well on the move and can improvise when things break down. And we saw that happen a lot with Buffalo’s offense in 2009.

Gailey is very familiar with Thigpen’s skill set having coached him and called plays for him two years ago. So there are some dots that can be connected with respect to the speculation.

At this point I think all options are still being considered.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/02/0 ... -underway/

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Bills interested in a trade for QB Tyler Thigpen?
Also ...

Rotoworld wrote:
Thigpen rumors are making the rounds after Chad Pennington suggested he wanted to return to Miami. Brown believes it's a good fit due to Thigpen's history with Chan Gailey and his improvisational skills behind a poor line. It's one thing to put Thigpen in the pistol spread for six weeks in a lost season and quite another to trust him as the starter in the elements at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... _teams=MIA

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

I'm with you Dave. Especially considering Thigpen torched us in 2008, knows Dan Henning's complex and unorthodox offense, and would be the Jills' best QB.

This is pure speculation though. I think the Bills role the dice with what they have in Edwards and the Harvard kid Fitzpatrick.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I hope we don't let go of him, especially to the Bills. He's a solid backup QB

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

LOL, tell them we want a 2nd round pick for him! Bout time we get back some of these 2nd round picks we've spent for qbs.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:30 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Tell 'em we'll take a 1st and a second in next years draft. : )

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:49 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I'm with Dave, hate to trade within division, but if we could get their 2nd round pick this year it would be well worth it if Pennington is healthy.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

resign Pennington as #2
keep Thigpen as #3
Send Pat White packing for what ever they can get.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If we could get a 2nd rounder out of Thigpen I would crap myself upon signing the deal..

:jests:

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thigpen is talented, still young....and Pennington is a one year band-aid at best (should he find a way to stay healthy for a season at this point in his career). Trading what now looks like a solid backup QB for what is behind curtain #2 is just stupid. On top of that, I am not so sure the guy isn't a viable starter in the NFL and would hate to give the Jills their QB of the future to beat us twice a year with.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:52 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

If we get more than we gave for him I'm all for it.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man....what has Thigpen done to merit trading him? Pennington is not the man to run this offense. Henne looks good, but you have to have a backup. Pat White stinks as a QB. If you trade Thigpen, then you are going to be a hit away from Pennington running the offense....and he had a great year in 2008.....but the schedule was weak. Pennington can be a caretaker.....but if we lose Henne and he takes over, you can kiss any playoff hopes goodbye as 8 in the box returns to each and every game. Thigpen has a lively arm. He is young, talented and has wheels......why trade away a guy who can fill in at QB for years to come??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Man....what has Thigpen done to merit trading him? Pennington is not the man to run this offense. Henne looks good, but you have to have a backup. Pat White stinks as a QB. If you trade Thigpen, then you are going to be a hit away from Pennington running the offense....and he had a great year in 2008.....but the schedule was weak. Pennington can be a caretaker.....but if we lose Henne and he takes over, you can kiss any playoff hopes goodbye as 8 in the box returns to each and every game. Thigpen has a lively arm. He is young, talented and has wheels......why trade away a guy who can fill in at QB for years to come??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

totally understandable. I'm just sick of "for the future" or "years to come" I want to win now and if we can get great value for him which in turn will put a playmaker on the roster that will see the field and not have to wait and see if someone gets hurt, then I'm gonna get it done. If Penningtons shoulder is OK, then he is a great backup.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I bet Parcells saw this & said "Don't even think about offering 'The Player' for trade!"

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I love Chad Pennington and what he did for Miami, but this is his 3rd surgery on a shoulder and arm that was not a cannon to begin with.

At the worst, Tyler is a kid that has starting experience and can be a quality backup. He also has talent as well and can continue to push Chad Henne.

As much as I like additional picks, I don't trade a QB, especially within the division.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:37 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Steve Zissou wrote:
I bet Parcells saw this & said "Don't even think about offering 'The Player' for trade!"

"The Player" only had a 1 year contract with the Bills. He's a FA. They won't be offering him in a trade.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:22 am

I think part of the reason they want to see what Pennington can do by March is so that they can decide whether Thigpen is tradeable or not.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I like the way Thigpen plays and thought he played really well against the Steelers (minus the pick in the redzone). To trade him within the division so we can keep Penningtion would almost be insane.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

All I want to know is what is with the thirty questions marks?

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

All I want to know is what is with the thirty questions marks?

He must have had a crumb stuck in there that kept the key down

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Keep Thigpen. Henne seems fine but if he gets injured or slumps & you go back to Pennington you go back to a vanilla offense that is easy to defend & scares no opposing defense. As a backup Thigpen still provides a viable option to possibly win games & make a playoff run.
Yeah we love Pennington & he is a team guy & all that stuff that goes along with this rah rah love fest for him but we all know if he is the starting QB again we are going nowhere. He was just what we needed in 08 but with him as a starter you are throwing in the towel on the season.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I say keep Thigpen as he is a solid back up to have behind Henne. If Pennington somehow resigns too, I would be all for that as well, but Miami wouldnt carry four quarterbacks. I hope I get proven wrong, but Pat White could very well be out of the NFL altogether, if he doesnt become a bigger asset running that WildPat offense. If he got released tomorrow, how many other NFL teams would be lining up to sign him? All that being said, he was a rookie and still learning the NFL, so lets hope come training camp and preseason games that he shows more value or I dont see it being worth keeping him on the roster.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]