View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Sean Smith 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Sean Smith
Dolphins defense suffocates Bengals passing attack

Quote:
CINCINNATI —
Terrell Owens had no agenda. There was no vendetta involved.

The perennial Pro Bowl receiver was asked a simple question about Cincinnati's offensive output drying up after the Bengals' first drive and gave an even simpler answer.

Why was the Miami Dolphins' defense able to tighten up after the game-opening 15-play, 86-yard touchdown drive Owens capped with a 7-yard slant he caught on Jason Allen?

"They put Sean Smith in," Owens said candidly. "They realized 32 [Allen's number] was a liability out there. Once we exploited that a couple times he saw no more of the field."

Owens is referring to the 9-yard slant he caught on Allen on play No. 5, the deep bomb he nearly brought in against Allen before dropping it, and certainly the 7-yard touchdown pass he caught with ease.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-bengals-xs-and-omar-11-0120101031,0,552527.story

Does this mean we are going to start to see the ascension of Sean Smith? Could you imagine what that would do for us? We would be set for the next 10 years in our secondary...

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Sean Smith
Wildcat23 wrote:
Could you imagine what that would do for us? We would be set for the next 10 years in our secondary...

That was the hope and the plan when they drafted 2 corners in the first 2 rounds.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Our secondary was a major area of concern a couple of years ago, and it still is today, but to a lesser degree. We've invested several draft picks in our secondary and the players are slowly but surely rising up and claiming starting jobs. The future of our secondary is players like Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Nolan Carroll, Chris Clemons, Reshad Jones, and Jon Amaya. All of these players have shown promise and already three of them have starting jobs. Lets hope this trend continues and we see improved play from all of these guys.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
Wildcat23 wrote:
Could you imagine what that would do for us? We would be set for the next 10 years in our secondary...

That was the hope and the plan when they drafted 2 corners in the first 2 rounds.

Yes. Though 10 years seems a bit optimistic.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
degs wrote:
Wildcat23 wrote:

Yes. Though 10 years seems a bit optimistic.

I'd be happy if they could lock things down for the next 2-3 years.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'd be happy if they could lock things down for the next 2-3 years.

I think it'll be longer than that, but they will always be challenged. If they don't perform, they're gone. I like that our team philosophy has a sense of accountability. No one is safe.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

There's no question that Sean Smiths cover skills are better than Allens but the reason he's not in the game is his run support. Which, if you look at the game film, was lacking against the Bengals yet again. So Sparano's quandry is which sword does he fall on. You've got a physical running team coming your way so my guess is Allen gets the nod again this week. I would expect Smith, at some point, to win this job back again I just don't think it starts in the next couple of weeks due to the opponent.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My guess is that Jason Allen officially takes a back seat to Sean Smith commencing against Baltimore this week. Allen gives up too many big plays an although Smith's run support might need improvement, I think team's will have far less success throwing with Sean Smith's cover skills.

Allen did an admirable job, but I think Sean Smith got his wake up call.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Good points about JA giving up the big play too often, but he faces off against Houshmandzadeh this week who just hasn't been the same since leaving Cincy.

Now, if Anquan lines up against him he'll definitely need some safety help, but it's not like Boldin has the wheels to burn him.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead wrote:
My guess is that Jason Allen officially takes a back seat to Sean Smith commencing against Baltimore this week. Allen gives up too many big plays an although Smith's run support might need improvement, I think team's will have far less success throwing with Sean Smith's cover skills.

Allen did an admirable job, but I think Sean Smith got his wake up call.

Agreed. Smith is back and I hope it's for good this time.
:yay:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
There's no question that Sean Smiths cover skills are better than Allens but the reason he's not in the game is his run support. Which, if you look at the game film, was lacking against the Bengals yet again. So Sparano's quandry is which sword does he fall on. You've got a physical running team coming your way so my guess is Allen gets the nod again this week. I would expect Smith, at some point, to win this job back again I just don't think it starts in the next couple of weeks due to the opponent.

I am FAR less concerned about a Cornerbacks run support than his pass coverage ability. Like 100 times less. That's a no brainer decision if I ever heard of one.

Allen is little more than a nickelback. Let's treat him like one and let the true starter play as he deserves to play.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:14 pm

degs wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I am FAR less concerned about a Cornerbacks run support than his pass coverage ability. Like 100 times less. That's a no brainer decision if I ever heard of one.

Allen is little more than a nickelback. Let's treat him like one and let the true starter play as he deserves to play.

Apparently Sparano agrees with me. You can die a slow death against the run or have Allen who still makes his share of plays in the passing game while occasionally getting beat. Your choice. I've lived through the days of Tom Oliva_otti's defenses where teams just pounded the defense into submission. With Ray Rice coming to town, I think I'll take the run support.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]