View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Dan Henning 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Dan Henning
Is our favorite red-headed step child so I thought I'd open the floor for debate. He called a reasonably good game but the outside stuff is still mind numbingly dumb. He ran 3 cross buck plays where the back actually goes across the center to the opposite hole. The longest was 3 yards. I think the plays gained 1, 2, then 3 yards respectively. He also ran outside 3 times on reverses or pitches. None of them worked...yet he ran them 3 times. I'm not sure how many times I saw the Incog pull and run through the hole next two Carey but that play was dynamite in a bottle. I think I saw it twice. Henne was lighting it up going down the middle early on. Miami simply quit throwing down the middle the rest of the game. The pick was again teams sitting on the short outs. The guy that picked it simply peeled off his man (Hartline was open down the middle) and picked off a poorly thrown ball.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dan Henning
The pick is on Henne, not Henning. Could the inside runs work well because they are playing the outside stuff? Some stuff doesn't work, some stuff does. It's crap like 5 wide with Ronnie taking a direct snap that is dumb. It's crap like having Pat White as the wildcat back and faking the jet to Ricky that is dumb. It's crap like a reverse to Ted Ginn in a playoff game when the offense is moving well that is dumb.

Henning really had no dumb play calls today.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:41 pm

You're right...the reverse to Hartline was brilliant when Miami was gouging them between the tackles. Again, defenses are keying on the short patterns with Miami and particularly the outside. If Hennes throw isn't perfect (which any casual observer could've determined by the end of Q1 that Henne was a little off with his throws), then the pass had the potential to be picked. All of this while the middle of the field was gutted in the first quarter by Henne and Miami never looked at it again. There were also other quick pitches to the outside which the Pack aptly shutdown....twice before the ill-fated reverse to Hartline. For the most part, Henning called a good game because he had a good mix of run and pass.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
The pick is on Henne, not Henning. Could the inside runs work well because they are playing the outside stuff? Some stuff doesn't work, some stuff does. It's crap like 5 wide with Ronnie taking a direct snap that is dumb. It's crap like having Pat White as the wildcat back and faking the jet to Ricky that is dumb. It's crap like a reverse to Ted Ginn in a playoff game when the offense is moving well that is dumb.

Henning really had no dumb play calls today.

He had 1 terrible series: the first series in overtime. On our TD drive in the 4th quarter, we ran the ball down GB's throat. I thought we would take that approach in OT, but we went 3 straight passes for a 3 and out. We should have pounded the rock and instead we sharted. It didn't kill us but it was messy and stunk all to hell.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

We weren't running enough on 1st down. We were doing pretty well with it.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
The pick was again teams sitting on the short outs. The guy that picked it simply peeled off his man (Hartline was open down the middle) and picked off a poorly thrown ball.

Here we go again....

The Packers started crowding the middle of the field in response to Marshall being wide open 20 yards downfield early and often, which is why you saw the ball go outside.

The read was the right read, but Marshall slipped and the ball was thrown a bit too far inside.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

iam not a great henning fan but his call for fasano td was a gem
but was long down field to early???? it sure looked like it on the replays

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
The pick is on Henne, not Henning.

Give some credit to Tramon Williams. That was a great muscle move to get into better position than our wide receiver.

Henning called a very balanced game. I think it was 39 passes and 39 rushing attempts. Great call by Henning on that fake boot leg that resulted in a 22-yard touchdown to Fasano going the other way. Nice pass, too ... I think we take stuff like for granted. I didn't understand opening up OT with 3 straight passes ... we weren't in the 2 minute offense at that point.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Man at some point cant we just be happy with a win? I dont know who is styming this offense nore Henne or Henning , both or neither but at this point I am starting to care less because wins are not easy to come by this year in this league this year. The only input I can give this topic is that I could not waich this game but I got to listen to this game on a bunch of radio sources who gave you scores , commented on big plays , etc. They all said Henne continues to lock on a receiver right from the snap. It was a very common comment.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:51 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The only play that really bothered me was the pitch on 3 and 13 i think.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 am

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
The pick was again teams sitting on the short outs. The guy that picked it simply peeled off his man (Hartline was open down the middle) and picked off a poorly thrown ball.

Here we go again....

The Packers started crowding the middle of the field in response to Marshall being wide open 20 yards downfield early and often, which is why you saw the ball go outside.

The read was the right read, but Marshall slipped and the ball was thrown a bit too far inside.

That's not how I recall it. The defender peeled off of Hartline (he wasn't even covering Marshall). The defender slipped but retained his balance and still had enough time to pick off the ball. It was a poor read by Henne.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:17 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Some plays I scratched my head on.. The 3rd n short(s) when we passed when we clearly had the ability to get 3-4 up the gut.

Was upset Lousaka's streak ended, and to add insult to injury the refs screwed us..

I do take into account that Henning trys to mix it up.. I think that he was anticipating a heavy run stop defense on the opening OT drive and figured pass would catch them.. And I dont think the calling was bad, I think we are still lacking in the QB-WR communication or something...

Maybe its just me, but aside from the Fasano screen, I rarely see our WR's & TE open, it seems its always tight cover..
Cant blame Henning for the WR's not getting open..

But thats just some random thoughts...

Its a W, and I still enjoy a win no matter how ugly or imperfect it is... Yesterday wasnt perfect, but it wasnt ugly either.. The Packers are a very good team..
But I will stick to my guns on Henning, I hope this is his last season and they replace him with someone a bit younger (not that age matters) just that younger guys tend to be a bit more teachable..

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 am

Quote:
Was upset Lousaka's streak ended, and to add insult to injury the refs screwed us..
Yeah that was a first down. However the makeup call came later with the guy over the center on the punt...he was a full yard off the ball. I thought that was pretty much the make up call.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Yeah that was a first down. However the makeup call came later with the guy over the center on the punt...he was a full yard off the ball. I thought that was pretty much the make up call.

Very true...

But still I think he was 20 for 20, not sure if there is a record for consecutive 3rd/4th n short conversions but he was on a roll

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:11 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
That's not how I recall it. The defender peeled off of Hartline (he wasn't even covering Marshall). The defender slipped but retained his balance and still had enough time to pick off the ball. It was a poor read by Henne.

Well you are recalling it completely wrong.

The guy that got the interception was Tramon Williams and he was on Marshall one on one for most of the day. He was covering Marshall man to man on that play and the ball was thrown inside but was still catchable if Marshall hadn't slipped.

And if Henne had gotten it to the outside shoulder, it would have been a first down.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:44 am

Matter of fact Junkie check the replay for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tramonwillia ... =WIL545231

Down the middle of the page on the right hand side.

Williams was playing man to man off Marshall. If you watch the slow motion replay, you see that the announcers breakdown what happens and point out that Williams was playing off Marshall one on one. If that ball had been thrown to the outside its a first down, maybe even a touchdown.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]