View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Controversial call 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Controversial call
What did you all think of that call?

Quote:
Controversial call: Special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum was so upset about a fourth-quarter call that he showed a photograph of the pre-snap alignment to reporters, according to Kareem Copeland of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. Linebacker Robert Francois was called for being over the center on a punt, a new rule this season. But Slocum said the photograph showed Francois was well off the line of scrimmage and in compliance with the rule. The call, however, returned possession to the Dolphins and set up a go-ahead touchdown pass to tight end Anthony Fasano.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ckers-20-2

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Controversial call
I thought it was a horrible call.

But I was able to sleep well at night because it made up for that terrible spot against the Dolphins on 4th and 1.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Seems special teams will dog us all year. I never understood why if you fire a coach you hire the assistant , seems like more of the same direction. I guess maybe because when you do it in the season you really cannot hire from the outside. Clearly all these guys along with some players will be going.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:57 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Mindtornado wrote:
I thought it was a horrible call.

But I was able to sleep well at night because it made up for that terrible spot against the Dolphins on 4th and 1.

Yep!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ya..can someone please enlighten me on that spot?...I was working yesterday so missed the game but caught the highlights, to me it looked like a no brainer. Reviewed it and still got it wrong?..am I missing something here?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

paydurt wrote:
Ya..can someone please enlighten me on that spot?...I was working yesterday so missed the game but caught the highlights, to me it looked like a no brainer. Reviewed it and still got it wrong?..am I missing something here?

Just a bad call by the officials, no other way to look at it. A running back is down when the elbow, knee or butt hit the turf, but not when the hand hits, Ronnie put a hand in the turf and got the extra needed for a first down, and the camera clearly showed it.

The special teams call on lining up over the center was an iffy call, if it would have been against us I would have been pissed too..

But it wasnt against us, and gave us 1st and 10 so it was a great call... To the refs credit they threw the flag with the view of him directly infront of the snapper, so it didnt matter how far off the line he was.. Its a call many special teams coaches will look at this week to be sure they are aware of it..

I dont know what made me laugh more, the fans booing for the next quarter about that call, or Rodgers throwing a temper tantrum about being hit for 3 plays then finally throwing a pick...
Shows why hitting the QB just after he throws is sometimes just as good as sacking him.

But boy was it funny... :grin:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Yes those two calls evened each other out. Both were crap.

Quote:
I dont know what made me laugh more, the fans booing for the next quarter about that call, or Rodgers throwing a temper tantrum about being hit for 3 plays then finally throwing a pick...
Shows why hitting the QB just after he throws is sometimes just as good as sacking him.

Rodgers got up after every hit and complained. There was one hit by Starks that probably could've been called. The rest were very clean. Rodgers whining after every hit did add to my enjoyment. It wasn't quite as enjoyable if that were Tom Brady, but enjoyable.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:10 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rodgers got up after every hit and complained.

Yep, he was trying to work the officials as the "squeaky wheel gets oiled". I don't blame him, but it didn't work. Starks really laid the boom on him on that one hit. I can still feel it;)

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Well as the fans who were in the chatroom called it... I was a Packers fan on that call.

A bogus call where the LB wasn't even close to the center... I could see if he had lined up that way and then pounded our center, but it was more of a delayed blitz between the center and guard.

Again though, most of us couldn't care less because we got screwed twice on the same play with the bad spot on the 4th and 1.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i will tell you this, after that call got made and after the following touchdown, it got heated in the stands pretty quick. A few fans stood up in front of me and celebrated and promptly had beer bottles thrown at them. Tons of people throwing temper tantrums, it was nuts.

I want to give a shout out at the guy at the end of our row whoran down to the bars by the entrance ramp and proceeded to bang his hat against it for a good 2 mins yelling and shouting. I have ever laughed at a grown adult throwing such a fit in my life.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That 4th and 1 call killed what looked to be a solid scoring drive where we were running and throwing the football at will. If you figure we put at least 3 points on the board there and you take away Henne's mistake in the 1st half, then all of a sudden the bomb from Rodgers goes away and we get at least another field goal. This game should have been at least 26-13 in our favor, maybe a lot worse if we executed better. The offense did what it needed to to win, but that's about it. We could have killed these guys! Oh well, a win is a win!
:yay:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:13 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Yep, he was trying to work the officials as the "squeaky wheel gets oiled". I don't blame him, but it didn't work. Starks really laid the boom on him on that one hit. I can still feel it;)

Dan Fouts even said that Rodgers has a list of all the officials names and tries to get to know them on a first name basis to "get that extra advantage".

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm

A rule is a rule. He was blatantly leaned right over Denney.

Good call.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Phins Rock wrote:

Good call.

Must have been watching a different game.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Good call.

Must have been watching a different game.

1:30.....it's clear

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphin ... highlights

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Seems to be a pretty good call actually.. He may not have a hand down, but he is in line with the rest of them

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Seems to be a pretty good call actually.. He may not have a hand down, but he is in line with the rest of them

In the second photo there you can see that he clearly is not lined up on the line. Yes he is in front of the center, but no he is not on the line. I don't know if the rule was upheld here properly or not, but I can see why Packers fans are complaining. At any rate, while it was a make up call for the poor spot on the 4th and 1, it wasn't in nearly as good of field position as we would have been if Ronnie was correctly spotted. That fourth and one was clear down by the 25/26 yard line. That is an easy field goal and perhaps a touchdown. The special teams foul is somewhat ambiguous, the spot of the ball on Ronnie's fourth down run was clearly a blown call.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Good call.

I'm with you brother, the guy was directly in front of Denney. It's a call you don't see very often, in fact it's a rule I didn't even know existed until last Sunday, but it's a rule nonetheless. It was the correct call.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:48 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He was about 1-2 feet from the linemen, but almost in line with the two outside defenders..

This is a new rule, not sure the exact details of it. Whether its left up to the judges, or if it is a clear rule ie: if he is 1 foot off the LOS then its ok, but if he is on the LOS its a penalty...
Honestly I dont see the point of the rule if the player can line up 1 foot back...

Another angle to look at is the fact that his feet are at the same spot as the 4 down linemen, so aside from the lean and a hand down he is in line with them...

So in retrospect, its a good call as far as I am concerned, and I am glad its one that helped our special teams rather than hurt them..

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
in fact it's a rule I didn't even know existed until last Sundayl.

I think it's a new rule for this year.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It is new. The spirit of the rule is to protect the center (Long Snapper) on special teams. They (NFL) want nobody on the nose period.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

BOOM!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]