All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He showed a lot of this last year even though it was a dink and dunk offense. I think the Dolphins may have to switch things up in the next game to a shorter passing game to help with the loss of Armstead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:29 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Pocket presense can't be taught, we fought that with Tannehill. Tua has the best pocket presense of any Miami QB since Marino....Dan was the master.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:53 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

They always teach QB's to stay in the pocket. Very few can scramble and create something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:59 am 

Staying in the pocket and pocket presence are two different things imo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

vafinfan wrote:
Pocket presense can't be taught

Of course it can, you just get your QB coach to simulate a pass rush by chasing you around with a pool noodle

This drill may have actually ruined Carson Wentz...once upon a time I thought this guy had the prettiest mechanics in the game.

He probably has nightmares of a man chasing him wearing tightly-wound khakis, locked & loaded with giant foam noodles. Sam Darnold sees ghosts, Wentz sees pool noodles. Somebody get Wentz a lawyer. If not for this, he would have a Superbowl by now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tua will be running for his life in SF. Relying heavily on an oft-injured OT was probably not the best choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
Tua will be running for his life in SF. Relying heavily on an oft-injured OT was probably not the best choice.

I think there will be a plan for that. Have a little faith. Remember the game plan that The Don came up with to beat Da Bears. McDaniel did none of the following on Sunday after Armstead went down.

Alain Poupart (SI) wrote:
QUESTION: With Armstead missing vs. the 49ers, to protect Tua and continue to give him time to throw downfield, do we see a lot more of Ingold in the backfield on the LT side, another TE lining up next to the LT, more shorter passes, or a combination of each? Gotta trust Coach McD!

POUPART: Hey there, all of the above. What I definitely would expect is McDaniel to ask a specific plan to address the fact the pass protection won’t be as good, particularly against a defense as good as what San Francisco will bring.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... 22-mailbag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:

I think there will be a plan for that. Have a little faith. Remember the game plan that The Don came up with to beat Da Bears. McDaniel did none of the following on Sunday after Armstead went down.

Alain Poupart (SI) wrote:
QUESTION: With Armstead missing vs. the 49ers, to protect Tua and continue to give him time to throw downfield, do we see a lot more of Ingold in the backfield on the LT side, another TE lining up next to the LT, more shorter passes, or a combination of each? Gotta trust Coach McD!

POUPART: Hey there, all of the above. What I definitely would expect is McDaniel to ask a specific plan to address the fact the pass protection won’t be as good, particularly against a defense as good as what San Francisco will bring.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... 22-mailbag

I thin MCD will be a great coach for the Phins going forward, but I am not ready to equate him with a legend quite yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:32 pm 
2022 Survivor Champ!
2022 Survivor Champ!

Big Dave wrote:
thin MCD will be a great coach for the Phins going forward, but I am not ready to equate him with a legend quite yet.

I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:33 pm 

I think the Don's great plan was let Marino, who is a fine player, be Marino, not substitute the not as good back up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
I think the Don's great plan was let Marino, who is a fine player, be Marino, not substitute the not as good back up.

He had him roll out on passes with the OL following him early in the game. It got the Bears off-balanced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:

I thin MCD will be a great coach for the Phins going forward, but I am not ready to equate him with a legend quite yet.

I think you read way too much into that. No one is knighting McDaniel as the next Shula, but he has a very good offensive mind and is smart enough to adjust his game plan. That was just an example to show you what good coaching can do even when facing probably one of the best defenses ever put together in the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:32 am 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Big Dave wrote:
. Have a little faith.

:)) That was a good one Dave.

Big Dave wrote:
Remember the game plan that The Don came up with to beat Da Bears. McDaniel did none of the following on Sunday after Armstead went down.

Miami might get beat, but why be a competitor and not even want to try to win the game is beyond anything I can conjure up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:09 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Kyle Shanahan already showed his hand by calling out how good the Dolphins are at attacking the middle of the field. If Armstead is out, he is going to pressure Tua and drop in a robber or make sure that middle is clogged up to force him to hold onto the ball and look outside. The throwing windows will be tight this week.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:13 pm 

It would be a good time for the running game to show up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Kyle Shanahan already showed his hand by calling out how good the Dolphins are at attacking the middle of the field. If Armstead is out, he is going to pressure Tua and drop in a robber or make sure that middle is clogged up to force him to hold onto the ball and look outside. The throwing windows will be tight this week.

The Steelers had already showed the league that the Phins struggle if you can take away the middle of the field….

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
. Have a little faith.

:)) That was a good one Dave.

Big Dave wrote:
Remember the game plan that The Don came up with to beat Da Bears. McDaniel did none of the following on Sunday after Armstead went down.

Miami might get beat, but why be a competitor and not even want to try to win the game is beyond anything I can conjure up.

If I can count on anyone on this board to give a depressing assessment each week on a team that is 8-3, I can always count on Phinished. If there is a slimmer of hope for the opponent, we will hear about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am 

Phinished wrote:
Rich wrote:

The Steelers had already showed the league that the Phins struggle if you can take away the middle of the field….

You don't think other teams tried? That was also Tua's first game back and he was off on some throws.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:58 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

So, this is some of what Rich is talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:42 am 

If they play cover 1 robber, we have go routes hitches deep outs etc. Usually Cover 1 variations are man coverages. For every defense there is a counter offense and vice versa. This is where talent comes in and wins no matter what matchups are on the field. Other teams have tried and got burnt with Waddle and Hill. Niners pass rush is relentless and that is the biggest factor to this game. The Chiefs blew them out by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:18 pm 
2022 Survivor Champ!
2022 Survivor Champ!

Makchell wrote:
The Chiefs blew them out by the way.

Yes, and I'd be interested in seeing an analysis as to how they attacked that defense. Granted, KC has a better O-line than Miami but are there strategical ideas that we can emulate?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:

Never thought I’d hear a Matt Shaub/Tua comparison

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]