Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Are you kidding me? Wow.

NBC Sports Edge wrote:
NFL Players Association exercised its right of termination on the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant involved with the Tua Tagovailoa case.

This comes days after the Dolphins quarterback was forced from Thursday Night Football with clear neurological symptoms and a week after Tua briefly left Week 3's contest after stumbling and eventually collapsing to his knees. Although the NFL Players Association investigation is ongoing, it was found that the UNC that cleared Tua to return in Week 3 "made several mistakes" in his evaluation. The final authority for a player returning to the game ultimately resides with team doctors under the league's concussion protocol, placing additional scrutiny on Miami's medical team. The union's investigation into the situation will eventually become public knowledge after the findings are released to the league, but that process will take time to play out. In the meantime, expect Teddy Bridgewater to start for Miami should Tua need additional time to gain clearance.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/ ... tagovailoa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:12 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:32 am 

NFL says they are going to be transparent and make investigation public. I will be interested to find out what the "made several mistakes" are.

I think I saw some reasons offered for firing as the guy not understanding his role, (whatever that means) and showing hostility during the interview process. ( surprise surprise that someone would be hostile when they show up with torches and pitchforks my uninformed idea how the interview went)

I would not be surprised at a lawsuit by the person fired.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The NFL is a really shady organization. Trying to find a scapegoat for the bad optics. You would think a Neurologist, with all the years of training and professional experience, could rather easily determine if a patient has suffered a concussion. Plus the guy had no reason to lie, if anything, you would think he would be overly cautious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
The NFL is a really shady organization. Trying to find a scapegoat for the bad optics. You would think a Neurologist, with all the years of training and professional experience, could rather easily determine if a patient has suffered a concussion. Plus the guy had no reason to lie, if anything, you would think he would be overly cautious.

The NFL sure hates them some Dolphins. Kraftaroni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:

I tend to be on this side of the argument. This has all the hallmark signs of corporate damage control mode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I presume a MRI was performed after the Buffalo game, which would definitively state whether Tua suffered a concussion. It's up to Tua whether he wants to publicly share his personal medical record, but that would answer whether anyone behaved inappropriately.

As a second point, I haven't heard any discussion about how the short week may endanger player safety.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:41 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Lets just use the Dolphins as an example.

So the Dolphins played the Bills and both teams had to suffer through the heat. Granted the Dolphins had home field and should have handled it better, that day. Which they did.

The Dolphins have to get ready for a Thursday night game and were not given the same amount of time to recover as the Bills. That to me is unfair to the Dolphins. Josh Allen said in a pregame interview that it took him till Friday to recover. Those extra days would have allowed Tua to rest and it would not have forced the Dolphins to make quick decisions on Tua based on a short week.

Everyone should get equal rest between games is my point here. Thursday night games should be removed from the schedule. JMO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:43 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Hen wrote:
Lets just use the Dolphins as an example.

So the Dolphins played the Bills and both teams had to suffer through the heat. Granted the Dolphins had home field and should have handled it better, that day. Which they did.

The Dolphins have to get ready for a Thursday night game and were not given the same amount of time to recover as the Bills. That to me is unfair to the Dolphins. Josh Allen said in a pregame interview that it took him till Friday to recover. Those extra days would have allowed Tua to rest and it would not have forced the Dolphins to make quick decisions on Tua based on a short week.

Everyone should get equal rest between games is my point here. Thursday night games should be removed from the schedule. JMO

I can’t imagine Miami treating Tua with anything but kid gloves especially considering the 3-0 start. It’s all BS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:34 am 

Many people have a take on what happened. I admit this is my biased speculation given minimal and incomplete facts.

Nflpa says independent Doc was fired because he did not understand his role or something like that. That sounds correct to me because I think his role was to make sure the optics look good.

Following the protocol is fine and good but if the optics are bad protect who employees you. If "everyone" knows that Tua should not have been out there then you have your answer protocols followed or not.

To me it is like the virtue signaling that went on with wearing masks during the covid outbreak. The science was in before the outbreak that the masks most people were wearing were not effective in stopping the spread. But if you didn't wear one then the optics said you did not care but the science ... Does not matter. People are still wearing masks and I think may still be mandated in some places.

If it turns out the doc cut corners and incorrectly applied the protocols I will say I was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:37 am 

Unintended ditto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:37 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I definitely want to see the evidence. The NFLPA has a dog in this fight, too. And what does his back have to do with the concussion investigation?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 am 

How many times have we seen linemen get up wobbly having to be helped off the field because someone rolled up on them or down for whatever reason with teammates and or trainers on each side helping them off the field when they did finally get up only to return a few plays later. It will interesting to see the definition of gross motor control.

NFL rosters may have to expand and players get used to less money.

Moving goal posts may indicate they are in cya mode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

I heard a great point on sports radio while driving my son to school this morning.

If it is a big time playoff game, they used Mahomes vs Allen, and one of them gets hit hard in Q1, do you really think the NFL is going to push for either of those QBs to be off the field? All they care about is money and as one of you put it "scapegoat optics."

The NFL didn't care that Tua came back in because it made for a much better game. Had he not been tossed like a rag doll on Thursday (as you guys pointed out, NFL doesn't give a crap about short rest damage to players' bodies) no one would be discussing the Bills game incident in another week or two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:45 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

shularino wrote:
I presume a MRI was performed after the Buffalo game, which would definitively state whether Tua suffered a concussion. It's up to Tua whether he wants to publicly share his personal medical record, but that would answer whether anyone behaved inappropriately.

As a second point, I haven't heard any discussion about how the short week may endanger player safety.

Always hated these Thursday games. Noncompetitive as the home team almost always win. Schedule them after the traveling team's bye.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
McDaniel said the union’s dismissal of the independent neurological consultant who worked the Bills game is unrelated to how Tagovailoa was cleared. The union has not said that the neurologist misdiagnosed Tagovailoa.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm 

Big Dave wrote:
Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
McDaniel said the union’s dismissal of the independent neurological consultant who worked the Bills game is unrelated to how Tagovailoa was cleared. The union has not said that the neurologist misdiagnosed Tagovailoa.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Just coincidence im sure.

Alert we have an optics problem So lets see it was our NFLPA protocols that are in place and were fully and accurately followed. Obviously we can't say after further review we have decided to make some changes to do even better because all 10 real Twitter users and a zillion Twitter bots demand something be done now.

Lets fire the doc who followed our procedures to the letter but don't really say why yet except vaguely hint he is a problem, let people form their own conclusions (there was a problem and someone got fired problem solved) after a couple months or more of investigations when most people have moved on if some details come to light who cares.

Lets also start an investigation into the Dolphins to further distract from protocols being accurately followed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dolphins and McD in the cross hairs....

Quote:
Sometimes even a "dream job" can turn in to a nightmare. Happens all the time. But happens way too frequently to the man occupying the biggest office among Miami Dolphins coaches.

Not only was Mike McDaniel living that dream, but things could not have started better. And, he was winning while doing something no one else could, developing quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The national media was hooked.

That all changed during Week 4 of his first year on the job following a much-celebrated victory over the Buffalo Bills...Like so many before him, McDaniel has been sucked into the black cloud hanging over the Dolphins.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/spo ... 167361001/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:41 pm 

carreramia wrote:

Quote:
Sometimes even a "dream job" can turn in to a nightmare. Happens all the time. But happens way too frequently to the man occupying the biggest office among Miami Dolphins coaches.

Not only was Mike McDaniel living that dream, but things could not have started better. And, he was winning while doing something no one else could, developing quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The national media was hooked.

That all changed during Week 4 of his first year on the job following a much-celebrated victory over the Buffalo Bills...Like so many before him, McDaniel has been sucked into the black cloud hanging over the Dolphins.

Quote:
You really comb all things that come across your plate to make sure that you are doing right by everyone involved, specifically - and most importantly and non-negotiable - the human beings, the players."

With weeks or months of investigations, others will make that determination for McDaniel and the franchise. Games will be secondary until everything is answered and Tua recovers.

Coach made things worse because he did not grovel to the Twitter and Monday morning medical experts so now he must be punished.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Coach made things worse because he did not grovel to the Twitter and Monday morning medical experts so now he must be punished.

I think everyone knows that concussions have always been a problem, and in the past players were forced to go back out on the field and play with a concussion. I think this is a situation that horrified everyone and the NFLPA are using the outrage and the Dolphins to try to push new legislation. I don't think this is on McDaniel or the Dolphins. It was an independent neurologist who made the decision that it was not a concussion against the Bills. Did it look like a concussion? Yep, it did, but I'm not a twitter expert to decide.

Maybe the PBP should post stuff more like this instead of dumping on the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Many national news networks have pundits crowing that the Dolphins bent the rules in some way to trot Tua on the field too soon. They simply ignore the role of an independent neurologist. They traffic in ignorance and love creating controversy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Or even with one of his peers, Baltimore's John Harbaugh, making strong comments on how another team treated an injured player, a practice that is highly unusual.

“I couldn’t believe what I saw (Thursday) night,” Harbaugh said. “I couldn’t believe what I saw last Sunday. It was just something that was astonishing to see. I’ve been coaching for 40 years now, college, in the NFL, almost 40, and I’ve never seen anything like it before. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”

I assume he felt the same way when he had McDaniels’ squad on the ropes then got mollywhopped with 28 continuous gut shots in the 4th QTR, uhhh, like, 2 weeks ago. Harbaugh is clearly still upset he lost to a better coach in murderous fashion.

Davie should have Mike write you a penned letter of apology, Johnny.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Maybe the PBP should post stuff more like this instead of dumping on the Dolphins.

He specifically mentions Harbaugh’s pathetic comments without bringing up his name.

carreramia wrote:

That PBP article is garbage. Tom D’Angelo should be slapped for writing this.

I wouldn’t mind seeing someone write about his “career” as a journalist in the same fashion, but nobody would give a damn because McDaniels actually holds a job of importance and the spotlight, of which all of these gutter rats have been so giddy and eager, crawling all over themselves in an attempt to tear it all down publicly.

Repulsive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:34 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Tee Higgins - Game 1 - Removed From Game With Concussion
Tee Higgins - Game 2 - Plays In Game
Tee Higgins - Game 3 - Gets Knocked Out against Jets.
Tee Higgins - Game 4 - Plays In Game against the Phins on 4 Days Rest. - Not one person objects.

This is simply selective moral outrage to play to the masses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Tee Higgins - Game 4 - Plays In Game against the Phins on 4 Days Rest. - Not one person objects.

Seeing Tua with his hands showing neurological damage during a prime time game horrified a lot of people. The NFLPA sees a big open window to protect future players. I don't blame them, but the national media and NFL coaches jumping on this and pointing fingers is what gets me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:04 pm 

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Seeing Tua with his hands showing neurological damage during a prime time game horrified a lot of people. The NFLPA sees a big open window to protect future players. I don't blame them, but the national media and NFL coaches jumping on this and pointing fingers is what gets me.

I don't see the nflpa the same way you do, they are in cya mode imo. Moving the goalposts as I think Poupart put it, pointing fingers , firing a person it seems for reasons other than not doing their job ie following the nflpa protocols, investigating the Phins and not themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:47 pm 
2022 Survivor Champ!
2022 Survivor Champ!

I read somewhere that he wasn't fired for not following protocols but rather being uncooperative in the investigation

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:32 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Big Dave wrote:

I'm all for protecting players and I am all about taking the "head hunting" hits out of the NFL ( Ala Earl Thomas hits on Mason Rudolph ) to the point I think coaches need to be suspended. Then we will know the NFL is serious about it.

However, I have less mercy than some. These guys know the risk to play a game for fortune and fame.
I work in a Chemical plant and they pay really well. I also know I could be blown up at anytime and I have been there when the plant had an explosion in 2017 and again in 2022. No one is on TV grand standing for Chemical plant employees who make far less than NFL players. So make your decision prior to entering the NFL if you are willing to risk old self for now. SI did a survey yrs ago that people were willing to die young if they could be one of the best of the sport for five yrs.

The difference between instant death and long term side effects.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
I'm all for protecting players and I am all about taking the "head hunting" hits out of the NFL ( Ala Earl Thomas hits on Mason Rudolph ) to the point I think coaches need to be suspended. Then we will know the NFL is serious about it.

However, I have less mercy than some. These guys know the risk to play a game for fortune and fame.

Tom Brady pretty much said the same thing that you did earlier this week. The players have a responsibility to own up to decisions to play the game.

So, this came out in an interview this week from Joe Burrow with Bar Stool Sports. The Bengals OL prior to this year has been legendary for their lack of protection (and it does include the first two games of this year), but if he can play with a concussion undetected, the player needs to step up and take care of their own person.

Bar Stool Sports wrote:
Joe Burrow:

"I've never had any lasting effects from a concussion. I've been hit and forgot the rest of the game before. That's happened a couple of times, but I've never had one where I have headaches for like a week, and I have symptoms of concussion after the game. Like I said, I've had some where I don't remember the second half, or I don't remember the entire game, or I know that I got a little dizzy at one point, but nothing long-lasting.

"[...] You can make all the rules you want to make the game as safe as you possibly can, but [...] you have 300-pound men running 20 miles an hour trying to take your head off while you're standing still trying to ignore it and find receivers that are open. [...] Part of what we signed up for. You're gonna have head injuries. You're gonna tear your ACL. You're gonna break your arm. That's the game that we play, that's the life that we live and we get paid handsomely for it. I think going into every game, we know what we're getting ourselves into."

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 0063225857

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:02 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Thank you Tom Brady and Gisele for turning attention elsewhere!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Good point here by CK.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Your union is bull****.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:48 pm 

I am not sore if they actually changed anything.

Quote:
-- The medical staff involved determined that the Gross Motor Instability (“GMI”) suffered by Mr. Tagovailoa was not neurologically caused. They concluded the player’s back injury was the cause of his observed instability.

Specifically, the term “ataxia” has been added to the mandatory “no-go” symptoms. “Ataxia” is defined as abnormality of balance/stability, motor coordination or dysfunctional speech caused by a neurological issue.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... n-competed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I am not sore if they actually changed anything.

Quote:
-- The medical staff involved determined that the Gross Motor Instability (“GMI”) suffered by Mr. Tagovailoa was not neurologically caused. They concluded the player’s back injury was the cause of his observed instability.

Specifically, the term “ataxia” has been added to the mandatory “no-go” symptoms. “Ataxia” is defined as abnormality of balance/stability, motor coordination or dysfunctional speech caused by a neurological issue.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... n-competed

Has the media finally gotten their rocks off from this story yet or is it still a headline?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So I think now….anytime a Miami QB gets hit hard, whether he passes protocol or not, he will have to sit out the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Seems to be two rules: the Dolphins and everyone else. Bridgewater passed all the protocols but the spotter said he stumbled. Berrios was never evaluated.

https://twitter.com/TuaGangGang/status/ ... 1881333760

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:12 am 

What Doctors Association prescribes neurological diagnosis from watching football game tape?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
What Doctors Association prescribes neurological diagnosis from watching football game tape?

Blue checky-things on Twatter is the new PhD. Influence on social media is the conduit for almost any kinda exaggerated outrage. I assume Tua was embarrassed by all the attention from these media floozies & Twatter docs pretending to care about him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think we know who the spotter was, because it was someone with an agenda. What a huge advantage is was for the Jets in having us put in our 3rd string rookie 7th rounder for the entire game.

:saywhat

Where is the stumble???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Is this football? Is this real life?

:)

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]