Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:

But we’re they playing against starters…..or scrubs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

I'm not an OL expert, but I only saw each of them have one concerning rep. Jackson seemed to get beat (it happens), and Eichenberg failed to drive the defender back on a run play. If you want to peg Eichenberg for being slow on a stunt then fine.

But they seemed to hold their own just fine. Let's not forget that you had backups at center and left tackle as well (and those guys had rough evenings).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:50 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

One thing they are doing well is selling the playaction (as in run blocking on those plays).

Austin does look better. Eich needs to recognize stunts faster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:30 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Austin looked quick. On pass plays, I like how he jumps back fast and gets in position. He looks like a different player.

Liam looked okay, hopefully he gets better with more reps. They're both really young still.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:44 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
One thing they are doing well is selling the playaction (as in run blocking on those plays).

Austin does look better. Eich needs to recognize stunts faster.

Seems like he needs more upper and lower body strength, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Not a great play by Austin Jackson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Not a great play by Austin Jackson.

Who was the guard in that play next to AJ? Pathetic effort…

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:41 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:

I'm not sure if that was Robert Hunt's mistake. Hunt won his battle, but Jackson was pushed back and let him slip past him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:

I'm not sure if that was Robert Hunt's mistake. Hunt won his battle, but Jackson was pushed back and let him slip past him.

Looks like the defender hit Hunt and backed off, knowing Hunt would not move fast enough to help the human turnstile playing tackle…..yep…the dude chipped Hunt and went on an inside stunt after the chip. Hunt was taken out of the play by his lack of speed and awareness. Austin just being Austin, and no….he showed no speed there. The defender he faced flat out beat him with speed and a little hand fighting, smart use of leverage. I know the instinct is to ride the guy outside of the pocket, but you have to protect that inside gap first…the direct line to the qb or ball carrier. AJ blew it big time for sure, but Hunt needs to be aware of both gaps. You really need the guard and tackle working together….

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

If I had to guess I would say the Jackson experiment is given a couple of games (as will the Connor Williams at center experiment). If it becomes a problem then sign a veteran center, move Williams to RG and kick Hunt out to T. For all his faults, Jackson is a better backup LT than anyone else currently on the roster.

Jackson's athletic profile is a fit but he needs lots of well coached reps to get it together. He is one of those guys I could see blossoming on another team someday.

I think Eichenburg will be a solid starter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:32 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
If I had to guess I would say the Jackson experiment is given a couple of games (as will the Connor Williams at center experiment). If it becomes a problem then sign a veteran center, move Williams to RG and kick Hunt out to T. For all his faults, Jackson is a better backup LT than anyone else currently on the roster.

Jackson's athletic profile is a fit but he needs lots of well coached reps to get it together. He is one of those guys I could see blossoming on another team someday.

I think Eichenburg will be a solid starter.

If A Jax is our starting right tackle, then Teddy will be our starting QB sooner than most would like to see….

It would be great to see him evolve into a starter, but hasn’t he been playing football for quite a few years now?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Phinished wrote:
It would be great to see him evolve into a starter, but hasn’t he been playing football for quite a few years now?

Started two years at USC and just turned 23 years old. No idea what kind of coaching he had in college. Played in an air raid offense under Graham Harrell.

His scouting report said he was a raw player with a ton of upside.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Started two years at USC and just turned 23 years old. No idea what kind of coaching he had in college. Played in an air raid offense under Graham Harrell.

His scouting report said he was a raw player with a ton of upside.

Here is Austin Jackon's draft profile ...
http://phinfever.com/index.php/9-blog/4 ... ideo-clips

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:17 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Raw is not the word. He is a physical specimen, but so was Tony Mandarich.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:03 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phinished wrote:
Raw is not the word. He is a physical specimen, but so was Tony Mandarich.

Mandarich was a chemical-induced freak. When the juice was gone, so was his game.

AJax is a physically gifted athlete who spent the first couple years of his career trying to learn the technique of playing offensive line from a completely incompetent offensive staff.

Let's see what these guys can do with him. He's already better than he was, by all accounts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is what Barry Jackson has observed through 12 open practices on Eich and AJax. What it means is that they are playing better than last year in pass protection which should allow our offense to excecute on passing downs; however, they are not getting it done on rushing downs in the new system ... yet.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ Austin Jackson, slimmer and confident, looks competent at right tackle, particularly in a system that maximizes his type of athleticism. He has been fine in pass protection during limited reps in games this preseason, but the entire line must be better with run blocking.

And Liam Eichenberg’s work ethic and sound mechanics give him a chance to succeed at left guard. I’m cautiously hopeful on both. Neither might become great, but neither has been overwhelmed, either.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
This is what Barry Jackson has observed through 12 open practices on Eich and AJax. What it means is that they are playing better than last year in pass protection which should allow our offense to excecute on passing downs; however, they are not getting it done on rushing downs in the new system ... yet.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ Austin Jackson, slimmer and confident, looks competent at right tackle, particularly in a system that maximizes his type of athleticism. He has been fine in pass protection during limited reps in games this preseason, but the entire line must be better with run blocking.

And Liam Eichenberg’s work ethic and sound mechanics give him a chance to succeed at left guard. I’m cautiously hopeful on both. Neither might become great, but neither has been overwhelmed, either.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... ogs/barry-

jackson/article263037703.html#storylink=cpy

We shall see. The team has a history of winning the off season, but little else. AJax was awful last year and I do not think it was him being beat physically as much as him beating himself through stupid penalties, not diagnosing stunts, not working well with the guard next to him….etc. It will be great if he turns that around, but not long ago we were told Igby was turning it around as well…

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]