PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Is this a picture of greatness?

Post subject: Re: Greatness
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:05 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

The sad thing is, everyone in that picture has at least one Super Bowl ring except the one farthest to the right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Surprised Terry Bradshaw and Drew Brees aren't in the picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
The sad thing is, everyone in that picture has at least one Super Bowl ring except the one farthest to the right.

I was only able to watch his late twilight years and that still feels like a gut punch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:11 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

I was only able to watch his late twilight years and that still feels like a gut punch.

I watched him his entire career. He battled Joe Montana in the Super Bowl his second year in the league... the year where he set the seasonal record for passing yards and TD passes. They made a commercial where after the game, Montana bought him a soda and at the end he goes, "Next year, I'll be the one who's buying"

Sadly, that would be the only time he ever played in a Super Bowl thanks to that crappy defense that evolved once Olivehead joined the team as DC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

I watched him his entire career. He battled Joe Montana in the Super Bowl his second year in the league... the year where he set the seasonal record for passing yards and TD passes. They made a commercial where after the game, Montana bought him a soda and at the end he goes, "Next year, I'll be the one who's buying"

Sadly, that would be the only time he ever played in a Super Bowl thanks to that crappy defense that evolved once Olivehead joined the team as DC.

I missed a lot of the Marino era in the navy. I really think he might have made it back to another Super Bowl if he had not had his Achilles blown out in that freak turf injury. He could still play for sure, but not at the level needed to overcome team deficiencies. He never had that top running back to keep him from having to throw and throw and throw….and man, the defenses were never dominant. Sad that his talent was squandered. His 1984 season was simply mind blowing and we have seen great QB’s since then in the NFL, but none can match what he did that year…in an era when WR’s got blasted over the middle and mugged on their route tree and when QB’s were one Lawrence Taylor hit away from the hospital, instead of protected like an endangered species.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]