Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: RIP Marlin Briscoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

We lost another '72 Legend. I remember when the Dolphins traded a 1st round pick for him to the Bills. Pretty soon Mercury Morris will truly be "population1".

Yahoo! Sports wrote:
Marlin "The Magician" Briscoe, a two-time Super Bowl-winning player who became the first Black starting quarterback of the Super Bowl era, died at the age of 76 of pneumonia at a California hospital, his daughter told to the Associated Press.

“He’s made an immense contribution to the sport,” Briscoe's daughter, Angela Marriott, said. “I hope that he continues to get recognized for the contributions that he made. He was so proud of that achievement.”

“I made sure that all of my passes were completions with zip on the ball,” Briscoe told the Associated Press in 2018. “When it came to the long bomb, I’d wait till the receiver would get damn near out of sight. They couldn’t believe a kid this small could throw the ball that far.”

Briscoe never played quarterback again, but he played eight more seasons in the league and won two Super Bowls with the Miami Dolphins in 1972 and 1973. He played in 105 total games from 1968-1975. Briscoe also helped pave the way for another Black player to earn a starting quarterback role: former Buffalo Bills and Los Angeles Rams quarterback James Harris.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marlin-briscoe ... 26135.html

Post subject: Re: RIP Marlin Briscoe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

RIP… sure miss the old school Phins.

I also see the article mentioned QB James Harris. I seem to remember a day long ago when I lived in LA… The Phins were my favorite team, but the Rams were #2 (until they kicked their long suffering fans in the nuts and moved the team and won a super bowl…finally they gave LA a winner about 25 years later)…. And Harris was a great player till injuries ended his career too early. He came so close to taking the Rams to a Super Bowl in ‘75. I also remember them losing a championship game…in those days record had nothing to do with home field and the Rams, with the better season record, had to play the Vikings in -10 degree weather.

Post subject: Re: RIP Marlin Briscoe
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
RIP… sure miss the old school Phins.

I also see the article mentioned QB James Harris. I seem to remember a day long ago when I lived in LA… The Phins were my favorite team, but the Rams were #2 (until they kicked their long suffering fans in the nuts and moved the team and won a super bowl…finally they gave LA a winner about 25 years later)…. And Harris was a great player till injuries ended his career too early. He came so close to taking the Rams to a Super Bowl in ‘75. I also remember them losing a championship game…in those days record had nothing to do with home field and the Rams, with the better season record, had to play the Vikings in -10 degree weather.

I liked the Rams way back in the day, too. I was a kid and loved their helmets. The Roman Gabriel to Jack Snow connection was always exciting to watch in the afternoon game as I was eating dinner.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]