All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would definitely agee as I felt the Dolphins used Phillips skills and ability nicely in our scheme, but he was helped by it. If he doesn't improve, which he should, the Dolphins will have to draft another Edge rusher next year (and they probably will anyways as you cannot have too many good edge rushers on the team).

PFF wrote:
EDGE Jaelan Phillips, Miami Dolphins

Phillips was the first pass-rusher selected last season (assuming Micah Parsons was originally intended to be a true off-the-ball linebacker), and he played extensively as a rookie, posting 10 sacks but only managing 39 pressures from 402 pass-rushing snaps while earning a 53.7 overall PFF grade.

His best play came when he was moved around and allowed to exploit more favorable matchups against interior offensive linemen. Phillips flashed playmaking ability, but he was drafted to be a difference-maker on the Miami defensive line, and he hasn’t yet come close to that. He had just one or fewer pressures in nine games as a rookie, which is something that won’t cut it if he wants to be an elite pass-rushing force at the NFL level.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-players ... ear-2-2022

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:09 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

PFF wrote:
but he was drafted to be a difference-maker on the Miami defensive line, and he hasn’t yet come close to that.

He was a rookie last yr. Please stop with this asinine evaluation. When did we start expecting rookies to be impact players? Can they be sometimes? Sure, but to expect it? Asinine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
PFF wrote:
but he was drafted to be a difference-maker on the Miami defensive line, and he hasn’t yet come close to that.

He was a rookie last yr. Please stop with this asinine evaluation. When did we start expecting rookies to be impact players? Can they be sometimes? Sure, but to expect it? Asinine.

I think the Dolphins were ecstatic to get 10 sacks out of him. He needs to be more consistent, but that comes with time. I think most people worried about his injury history in college, but he pretty much played hard and "injury free". If Tua has a good year, I think we go DE in the 2023 draft and a RB within the first two rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:13 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
PFF wrote:

I think the Dolphins were ecstatic to get 10 sacks out of him. He needs to be more consistent, but that comes with time. I think most people worried about his injury history in college, but he pretty much played hard and "injury free". If Tua has a good year, I think we go DE in the 2023 draft and a RB within the first two rounds.

If by "struggling" we mean setting the rookie record for sacks for our team, I wish more of our rookies would "struggle." I disagree about the priorities for next year though Dave; OT and CB (who do we have behind X and Byron?) are higher priorities than DE or RB, as well as LB. Then maybe RB and DE depending on how the RBs we signed this year do. We'll see who sees the future better (of course this all depends on how Tua does.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Are we rounding up or what…? He had 8.5 sacks.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ilJa02.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:23 am 

I thought he a pretty good rookie year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:09 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He came on really strong in the 2nd half.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:01 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Been saying this since Jason Taylor had 2.5 sacks in 1999. Sacks are a misleading stat. And in Phillips case, yes he did come on late in the year, but the sack stat is misleading. I focus more on the pressure stat as that is a better indicator of pass rush consistency.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Been saying this since Jason Taylor had 2.5 sacks in 1999. Sacks are a misleading stat. And in Phillips case, yes he did come on late in the year, but the sack stat is misleading. I focus more on the pressure stat as that is a better indicator of pass rush consistency.

Another good measure, and I don't know that I've seen stats on this, is how many times a D-lineman is double-teamed. That will show how much respect the offense has for the player, even if it means someone else is making the tackle or getting the sack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

How did Phillips do in that area (pressures?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:18 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Rich wrote:

How did Phillips do in that area (pressures?)

He had 39 pressures. As a pass rusher, he was disruptive at times, but as a run stopper he did not do very well. If he is going to be a starting DE for the Dolphins as JT was, he is going to have to improve against the run (as JT did as well). As a pass rusher, I think he can only get better. Hopefully the firehose of information has been processed and the NFL starts to slow down for him this year. It sure seemed to the last half of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:20 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Rich wrote:
:yay:

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]