Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:55 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nice job, Ken!

http://www.phinfever.com/index.php/9-bl ... -half-full

Ken Dasher wrote:
Free agency made its mark. Players were added, the team was improved. We gained tons of talent on the offense and retained significant players on the defensive side of the ball. Then, the trade for Tyreek Hill. Next, Dolphins fans everywhere watched the draft unfold with limited expectations due to the fact that the Dolphins were the first team ever to not have ANY of their own original picks at the time of the draft, and only chose players in the 3rd, 4th, and two in the 7th rounds of the 2022 draft.

So what do we have to feel good about? Here are 3 “Under the Radar” things that I think we as Dolphins fans should feel excited about going into the 2022-2023 season.

1. Offensive Coordinator Frank Smith

Frank Smith comes to us from the LA Chargers where he was the run game coordinator and offensive line coach. Previously in his career, he has served as tight ends coach (Raiders & Bears) and offensive line coach (Saints.) His experience and background give me reasons to be optimistic that our offense will seek to establish the running game as the cornerstone for the offense. We know that the head coach will call the plays, but the two seem to be a very good fit together in terms of overall philosophy. If he can help the offense become balanced, all the shiny new toys on offense will have a chance to really put pressure on opposing defenses.

2. Defensive continuity

Chris Grier brought the band back together, resigning most of the team’s free agent defensive players. If they can pick up where they left off and continue the growth that they made throughout last season, there is good reason to be optimistic here as well. Especially considering the growth and development we saw in the young players like Jevon Holland and Jalen Phillips, as well as continued development from Nik Needham, Christian Wilkins, and Raekwon Davis. I like the addition of Channing Tindall, though I think he’ll be strictly a situational role player at first. And of course, there will probably be some late free agent additions to bolster depth.

3. Pro-bowl caliber punting

It would be a mistake to underestimate the significance of signing punter Thomas Morstead. Throughout his career, Morstead has been one of the league’s top punters on a consistent basis. The difference in field position that he gives his team regularly translates to points on the scoreboard. Pin the opposing offense deep in their own territory and it makes it harder for them to score, and it also gives your own defense the ability to play very aggressively, hopefully providing a short field for your offense. Over a season, this may mean the difference between making the playoffs or staying at home.

Obviously, there are other reasons to be optimistic (Tyreek Hill, Teron Armstead, etc.) but these are some factors that may not be as immediately obvious. Hopefully, everything works out well for the new additions and we’re able to watch our Dolphins make a noise in the playoffs this year. Fins Up!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Put my order in for the punter's jersey.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Great insight on the coaching staff.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:00 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Thanks East. One of the other coaching positions that's going to need to make a big difference is Applebaum, the OL coach. If he can get some of these young guys playing even mediocre football it will be huge for the team.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

One thing I noticed is that many of the coaches have a ton of experience building run games, but the talent on offense seems to lean more towards being pass heavy. It will be interesting to see how balanced the play calling is going to be.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:51 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ken Dasher wrote:
2. Defensive continuity

Chris Grier brought the band back together, resigning most of the team’s free agent defensive players. If they can pick up where they left off and continue the growth that they made throughout last season, there is good reason to be optimistic here as well. Especially considering the growth and development we saw in the young players like Jevon Holland and Jalen Phillips, as well as continued development from Nik Needham, Christian Wilkins, and Raekwon Davis. I like the addition of Channing Tindall, though I think he’ll be strictly a situational role player at first. And of course, there will probably be some late free agent additions to bolster depth

I think this was very important in bringing the defense back intact, but I like the two additions of Tindall and Thompson as they both are aggressive and fit the style of our defense. Thompson is a 7th round pick, so, I'm not expecting much from him this year but maybe he'll develop as I am sure several of our 1 year contract defensive players may not be back next year. Nice eye for the future with TnT.

I saw a couple of 2023 mocks with picks at RB, DE, RT, DB, and QB for our two first round picks next year. I think the Dolphins should go ILB again in the first round (if one is worthy) depending on what Tindall does.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:11 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Thanks East. One of the other coaching positions that's going to need to make a big difference is Applebaum, the OL coach. If he can get some of these young guys playing even mediocre football it will be huge for the team.

So far the players like Applebaum.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Deiter loves the approach of new offensive line coach Matt Applebaum, who has been receiving positive reviews, publicly and privately. “So far, he’s really cool. A detailed guy, intense guy. He’s been a great teacher so far. We’re learning a ton. Definitely a cool dude. Heck of a teacher.” Right guard Robert Hunt said Applebaum “is a guy that you can tell really cares about the room.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ken, you mentioned our new and former Saints Pro Bowl punter, and he has a very good resume. Many games are won and lost on special teams.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Morstead’s 46.6 yards per punt average is seventh best in NFL history and he was very good (47.2) in seven games apiece for the Jets and Falcons last season.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ken Dasher wrote:
3. Pro-bowl caliber punting

It would be a mistake to underestimate the significance of signing punter Thomas Morstead. Throughout his career, Morstead has been one of the league’s top punters on a consistent basis. The difference in field position that he gives his team regularly translates to points on the scoreboard. Pin the opposing offense deep in their own territory and it makes it harder for them to score, and it also gives your own defense the ability to play very aggressively, hopefully providing a short field for your offense. Over a season, this may mean the difference between making the playoffs or staying at home.

Got to hand it to Ken for pointing this out. SI's Alain Poupart wrote an article on the good decision and being lucky to have Morstead fall in their laps at a veteran minimum.

Alain Poupart (SI.COM) wrote:
The signing of punter Thomas Morstead certainly wasn't among the most noteworthy moves the Miami Dolphins made this offseason, but that doesn't mean it wasn't significant.

While it may not have been to the same degree as what the additions of Tyreek Hill or Terron Armstead might mean, adding Morstead provided a clear and significant upgrade for the Dolphins at his position.

Morstead made it happen by reaching out to the Dolphins after the team didn't re-sign free agent Michael Palardy, who averaged 44.7 yards in 2021 in his first season with the team.

And just like that, the Dolphins were on their way to adding one of the best punters in NFL history — Morstead is tied for eighth on the all-time list with his 46.6 average, right behind former Dolphins punter Brandon Fields at 46.7.

"I won’t get too specific about it because it’s team business but I actually reached out to them," Morstead said. "There was no punter on the roster and I thought Miami seems like a nice place to play. Financially, I was willing to take a veteran salary benefit deal and I don’t think they knew that, so I just made it clear. They said, ‘Well, get on a plane and come out here and see if you like it.’

"I’ve made a lot of money in my career and these experiences are just, when it’s over it’s over. I love doing everything there is to it. I love the training. I love the grind of the workouts. Obviously, I’m a little bit different than most of my teammates. I’m not hitting a lot and things like that. At least if I’m doing my job well, I’m not. I just love being a part of it. I love being depended on and it’s special being a part of an NFL locker room. Especially when you have a first-year coach with some reasonably high expectations. It’s fun to be a part of that and be a part of building something and building a culture. I’m just excited to be here.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... -at-punter

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]