View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 CB Sean Smith has been practicing in team's dime package 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post CB Sean Smith has been practicing in team's dime package
RotoWorld wrote:
Dolphins CB Sean Smith has been practicing in the team's dime package over the last two weeks, specifically covering tight ends. It's nice to see the team attempting to get Smith on the field, as Jason Allen is playing too well for Smith to see time at cornerback. The second year player has the talent to be a star, but needs to show more consistency before the team turns his way again.

Omar Kelly wrote:
Cornerback Sean Smith, who has been called on to cover the tight ends in the dime package the past two weeks, said he's amazed at how quickly things move that close to the line of scrimmage.

"Technique pretty much goes out the window because they are bigger dudes. You're not going to stick one arm in there and wall them off," said Smith, who points out it's important to understand where his help is coming from when covering tight ends.

"With a receiver we can be side by side, and if he breaks, I have a split second to catch up because the ball's traveling longer," he added. "With the tight end, as soon as he turns around the ball's going to be there because the quarterback's there. A sense of urgency has to be there."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3951.story

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: CB Sean Smith has been practicing in team's dime package
When they put Sean man-to-man against the opposing TE, he shuts them down. Why it's taken them until the 2nd half of games to realize it is beyond me.

He's going to need to come up big this week as I would assume he'll get responsibilities for Aaron Hernandez.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:46 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
When they put Sean man-to-man against the opposing TE, he shuts them down. Why it's taken them until the 2nd half of games to realize it is beyond me.

He's going to need to come up big this week as I would assume he'll get responsibilities for Aaron Hernandez.

If the opposing offense is in a 2 WR or run formation, it doesn't make sense to have 3 corners in the game. As teams go to 3WR and 4WR more, you see more of Smith.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:52 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

If the opposing offense is in a 2 WR or run formation, it doesn't make sense to have 3 corners in the game. As teams go to 3WR and 4WR more, you see more of Smith.

Hernandez is usually lined up as a WR. If he's in there as a TE, they're throwing the ball. I have not seen the Pats run the ball with his hand in the dirt more than once or twice, if at all. That's one thing I noticed last week; If he's in the game, it's almost definitely a pass play.

If they see Hernandez in the game, Sean better be out there shadowing him.

If you have a CB on him with size, like a Smith, I think we'll be fine. The problem is covering Gronkowski in the redzone. He's unbelievable. He could be the next Tony Gonzalez. He's no slouch as a blocker either. When they get into the redzone, he becomes their number 1 guy, and nobody has really been able to stop it thus far. I love Dansby, but he's not sticking with Gronk.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]