View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 NFL Network rips Brandon Marshall's effort in final plays 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post NFL Network rips Brandon Marshall's effort in final plays
Quote:
Mike Mayock, Solomon Wilcots, Sterling Sharpe agree that Dolphins wideout needed to rise to occasion

A trio of television analysts, including a couple former NFL players, were critical of the effort and conditioning of Brandon Marshall during The Playbook on the NFL Network on Wednesday.

Host Mike Mayock began the segment by showing Marshall's 30-yard catch and run that got the Dolphins to the Jets' 11 with 54 seconds left.

Next, with both Mayock and former NFL wideout Sterling Sharpe saying that it was "money time," the first-down overthrown fade route from Henne to Marshall in the right side of the end zone, with one-on-one coverage, was shown.

"Go get the ball! Go get the ball!" Sharpe chimed in as Mayock was saying, "I know he's tired. I know he's gassed, but his hand doesn't even go up. He doesn't jump...."

The second-down play brought an even sharper rebuke of the Dolphins' prized offseason acquisition.

Marshall lined up on the left side and eased toward the end zone.

"He's just jogging. He's just jogging," said Mayock. "That hurt, Mike," Sharpe intoned.

On that second-and-10 play, Henne had to pull the ball down and dive into the line for a yard.

The video kept rolling with Mayock's commentary.

"Now, you've got third-and-9. [The Jets] are going to bring three and drop eight, and here's our guy [Marshall] again. You traded, and paid this guy a lot of money. Beat the jam and get open. It's done. He's going to check is down to the far side. They're not even looking at Brandon Marshall right now, the best player, supposedly, on their team.

"Fourth down, game on the line, down eight points. [The Jets are] showing five, they're only going to bring three. Brandon Marshall, is he working hard?"

Sharpe: "No."

After showing the failed fourth-down play and coming back to the live studio discussion, Mayock said: "I look at this and say I know he's gassed. He caught 10 balls and was targeted 17 times. He's tired. He's gassed. But I need you to step up at the end of a game."

Mayock then tossed to former NFL defensive back Solomon Wilcots, who was much more tepid in his criticism, saying Marshall "was working," but closing his comments by adding that, "I think it was a hot, humid night down there in South Florida, but, at the end of the day, when you're a playmaker, a true gamer has to be in great condition to be able to close out games."

Finally, former Packers star receiver Sterling Sharpe closed the comments by offering: "I got tired [during my playing career, too]. You know my love for Brandon Marshall, but, Brandon, you have to give us more. Bill Parcells has a great saying that I stole working with him on TV. Don't complain, don't explain. You are THE guy down in South Florida. If they're going to throw the ball, you are the first option. What Mike just showed us was... you know what, I'm going to give you a pass on that. That was one game this year. You're getting used to that Florida heat. But Brandon Marshall, from now on, you, my friend, are going to have to bring it."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: NFL Network rips Brandon Marshall's effort in final plays
Because 10/166/1TD isn't somehow bringing it.

I understand the importance of key players on the field, but since when did playing football become about 1 guy?

Henne didn't even look in Marshall's direction on the final play; how is it that he can in any way be blamed for that? IMO, Henne should have thrown it at Marshall all 4 downs and ask him to make a play. They are right in that he is that guy on our team, and that he should make that play. But he wasn't even targeted.

But don't go blaming him when he was targeted once on the final 4 plays, especially after going 10/166.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is crap.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Why does the Network have to rip Marshall, who caught 10 balls for a touchdown and some 150 yards and also set Miami up with a 1st and 10 inside the 15. Why don't they rip the horrible defensive effort that lead to Miami being down by 8?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Exactly why Henne needs to look for Hartline more often around the goal line

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htzlhTvI ... re=related

*Turn down the volume a bit*

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This is like the 3rd or 4th story in the last couple weeks trying to make him out to being a diva.......

I hate when the media tries to tear teams apart.....Ever watch Me-shon on ESPN talk like he was a team player :)

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htzlhTvIQo4&feature=related

Omg, I can't stop laughing.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

There's a whole series. Willy Wonka boom after a few beers is the best hehe.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

There's a whole series. Willy Wonka boom after a few beers is the best hehe.

Yes, I watched them all...my favorite one is Willy Wonka going up an elevator.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]