All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC
Can anyone explain to me why Vance Joseph is on this list? He had the worst defense the Dolphins ever fielded in the NFL and he had two losing seasons following a Broncos super bowl win (grant it that Peyton Manning retired, but Manning was only a shell of himself the year before). I think Joseph is someone who talks a good game, but the results have been poor.

Albert Breer (MMQB/SI) wrote:
The Dolphins’ process should accelerate in the coming days. My feeling is that a significant part of it will ride on how the dominoes fall. Quinn remains the big domino. Again, he’s scheduled to be in Jersey Monday, and it certainly stands to reason that could push the Broncos to move their process along. If Denver were to take Quinn off the market, that could create some tension on Daboll—I’m told he interviewed well with the Dolphins, and his background with the organization, having been there in 2011, helps his cause. If the Giants try to close on Daboll? Then, Miami could turn to its ex-defensive coordinator (and current Cardinals DC) Vance Joseph, another candidate who’s positioned well with Miami wrapping up its initial set of head coaching interviews.

One big thing for the Dolphins has been finding a way to bring the building back together, after the strife the football operation endured through 2021. And while it’s been stressed to me that Miami hasn’t made any decisions yet, and remains focused on wrapping up the first phase of interviews, the standing relationships that Joseph and Daboll (and remember, Daboll has one with Tua Tagovailoa, too) had coming in appear to be relevant now


https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/24/mmqb- ... mes-burrow

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
Its the buddy system. His guy is in charge in Miami so he gets the benefits.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 am
Posts: 156
Ross tends to lean toward the ignorant, so I would imagine Joseph is the leader of the pack. *eye roll*

Out of those mentioned, I am taking Daboll, although he's not my frontrunner personally.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:25 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
I find it interesting, per Ben Allbright, that Joseph was not allowed to pick his staff in Denver. Whether that is good or bad, I do not know. But we really have no idea who he may bring to Miami because there isn't a history of staff building. Unless Grier is giving him the same type of offer and asking him to simply "hold everyone together".

Maybe Captain Star Bleeper opens up the wallet for some high end coordinators to assist Joseph.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC
Jammer, I am very afraid that Ross is going to bugger this one up ... again.


Everyone has an unnamed "source".


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7756
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Get ready for the drama

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:21 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
Big Dave wrote:
Jammer, I am very afraid that Ross is going to bugger this one up ... again.


Everyone has an unnamed "source".



If Daboll wants the Giants he gets either Watson (although some are questioning whether Mara would allow it) or the top rookie QB. Its probably that versus how difficult it would be to put pieces around Tua (and make it work).

I don't know of anyone else pursuing McDaniel at the moment.

Its a dangerous thing to say, but the QB crop in 2023 could be pretty darn good and Miami has two picks. That is a nice contingency plan. BUT, last time we said that was 2017 which produced both Mahomes and Watson, and a couple hyped 2018 guys have already fizzled (Rosen, Darnold, maybe even Jackson).


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27614
Location: Miami, FL
Matt Cannata predicts Vance Joseph will be the hire.

So.... excited.... about.... th.... zzzzZZZzzzz....

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7756
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Rich wrote:
Matt Cannata predicts Vance Joseph will be the hire.

So.... excited.... about.... th.... zzzzZZZzzzz....


He just needs to marinate in the system more….I line that word

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:05 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 165
I’m out… He is NOT A HEAD COACH!!!! I am telling you this, we would be looking for a new Coach in less than a year. Actually, at that point, you would might see all of it blown up. Grier and Joseph both would be out.

I feel like it’s time to find competition for sure at QB. Not saying that Tua is or is not the guy. But, I believe he needs to be pushed to see all he can do. Shoot, I think we need someone that exudes the confidence and believes he is always in the game and proves it.

Makes me wonder how much Dan is involved in the process. I mean, if I was Dan, I would want someone that feels like he could go toe to toe with me on my best day and doesn’t back down.

Outside of that, a real HC that can actually pull it all together as well as bring in a staff would go a long way.

Not to mention, free agents that want to play in Miami because they feel like there is a reason to play here. The coach and the players have a lot to do with that.

Just sick of this organization going for the guy that’s left rather than going for the guy that makes sense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7756
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
cboy72 wrote:
I’m out… He is NOT A HEAD COACH!!!! I am telling you this, we would be looking for a new Coach in less than a year. Actually, at that point, you would might see all of it blown up. Grier and Joseph both would be out.

I feel like it’s time to find competition for sure at QB. Not saying that Tua is or is not the guy. But, I believe he needs to be pushed to see all he can do. Shoot, I think we need someone that exudes the confidence and believes he is always in the game and proves it.

Makes me wonder how much Dan is involved in the process. I mean, if I was Dan, I would want someone that feels like he could go toe to toe with me on my best day and doesn’t back down.

Outside of that, a real HC that can actually pull it all together as well as bring in a staff would go a long way.

Not to mention, free agents that want to play in Miami because they feel like there is a reason to play here. The coach and the players have a lot to do with that.

Just sick of this organization going for the guy that’s left rather than going for the guy that makes sense.


We need more rants from you brother

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:14 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
cboy72 wrote:
Just sick of this organization going for the guy that’s left rather than going for the guy that makes sense.


Miami needs the guy who is going to tell them what they don't want to hear. Someone brutally honest who has witnessed success recently and knows the proper components.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:48 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 165
Amen Jammer!!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 8180
Again truly do not care. Its wash, rinse and repeat with Ross. In 2025/26 if still on this Earth we will be looking at another fired coach with a new hire coming in.. Until he is not the owner, things will not change.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:09 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
There is too much smoke on Vance Joseph for my comfort level. Almost like the brass had the hire preplanned and are now preparing you for it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 8180
Again, why is anyone concerned. Unless Ross leaves, the orgs path will not change.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:51 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 4057
Vance Joseph is my last choice for HC. That said, if he hires a solid staff and not be a complete jerk to the people in the house, he may surprise. But like I said, last choice.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:14 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
Joseph now the heavy favorite per Vegas odds


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 1292
Vance Joseph.

Jfc. Screw those folding tables Buffalo, I'm putting myself through the windows of my home if they hire him.

_________________
Miami Dolphins, Fist Pump Like Champions!!
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27614
Location: Miami, FL
All signs point to Vance Joseph.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27614
Location: Miami, FL
Some positives about Joseph as Miami DC:

Quote:
Joseph was announced as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins for the 2016 season under head coach Adam Gase. Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league.[2] The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.


But Joseph will most likely take us back to a 4-3. I hate all the switching back and forth on base formations when you have a solid defense in place.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
Some positives about Joseph as Miami DC:

Quote:
Joseph was announced as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins for the 2016 season under head coach Adam Gase. Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league.[2] The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.


But Joseph will most likely take us back to a 4-3. I hate all the switching back and forth on base formations when you have a solid defense in place.


Vance Joseph talks a good game and is very professional, but the results on the field say something different. I don't hate the guy, but I would be seriously disappointed if he is "the guy". I just get the feeling that if we hire Joseph, we just saw our last winning season for a while.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27614
Location: Miami, FL
New rumor is that Mike McDaniel impressed quite a bit and the room is split between him and Joseph.

I'm rooting for McDaniel in that horse race.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:53 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 165
Yep. Ditto Rich on this….


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am
Posts: 634
McDaniel would be my choice as well.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
New rumor is that Mike McDaniel impressed quite a bit and the room is split between him and Joseph.

I'm rooting for McDaniel in that horse race.


My choice: McDaniel >> Joseph.


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 536
Location: Princeton,IL
McDaniel looks to be the logical choice for this team.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:04 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 165
We need someone that understands offense. Not offense for the other team!!! It’s time to have someone that can get us to 27-28 pts a game on a regular. Our defense can hold opposing teams now under 20 a game. Especially when you can sustain drives and give them time to rest. It’s a no-brainer.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 pm 
Offline
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 165
You know it makes me think that Joseph isn’t the guy if they hadn’t already hired him. There isn’t any reason why he can’t be hired since AZ is already out of the playoffs. Could there possibly be someone that they’re still talking to. Or… Maybe that’s me just hoping he’s not the guy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27614
Location: Miami, FL
cboy72 wrote:
You know it makes me think that Joseph isn’t the guy if they hadn’t already hired him. There isn’t any reason why he can’t be hired since AZ is already out of the playoffs. Could there possibly be someone that they’re still talking to. Or… Maybe that’s me just hoping he’s not the guy.


It sounds like the Dolphins first choice would be Dan Quinn, then Brian Daboll. Everything I am reading says Quinn will go to the Broncos and Daboll to the Giants. So both McDaniel and Joseph are fallback options. It sounds like the Dolphins are trying to pre-emptively prepare everyone for Joseph in case they miss on Quinn and Daboll and it comes down to McDaniel and Joseph.

Many think McDaniel is an innovative young coach but could be a year or two away from being ready. Joseph is Grier's buddy so that's why he is in the discussion. It doesn't appear either McDaniel or Joseph are really being considered by any other teams.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
cboy72 wrote:
You know it makes me think that Joseph isn’t the guy if they hadn’t already hired him. There isn’t any reason why he can’t be hired since AZ is already out of the playoffs. Could there possibly be someone that they’re still talking to. Or… Maybe that’s me just hoping he’s not the guy.


It sounds like the Dolphins first choice would be Dan Quinn, then Brian Daboll. Everything I am reading says Quinn will go to the Broncos and Daboll to the Giants. So both McDaniel and Joseph are fallback options. It sounds like the Dolphins are trying to pre-emptively prepare everyone for Joseph in case they miss on Quinn and Daboll and it comes down to McDaniel and Joseph.

Many think McDaniel is an innovative young coach but could be a year or two away from being ready. Joseph is Grier's buddy so that's why he is in the discussion. It doesn't appear either McDaniel or Joseph are really being considered by any other teams.


Cauldwell is interviewing today with da Bears. He'd be a good choice to go with that good Bears defense. I'd like to know his story with Flores and the Dolphins. The Dolphins didn't even sniff in his direction.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7756
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Rich wrote:
It sounds like the Dolphins first choice would be Dan Quinn, then Brian Daboll. Everything I am reading says Quinn will go to the Broncos and Daboll to the Giants. So both McDaniel and Joseph are fallback options. It sounds like the Dolphins are trying to pre-emptively prepare everyone for Joseph in case they miss on Quinn and Daboll and it comes down to McDaniel and Joseph.


They may just run a year or two experiment with Vance and wait out a little at a better option to replace him with later if there aren’t many impressive options right now because none of these guys impress me personally.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:35 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10938
Location: Fargo, ND
jammer wrote:
cboy72 wrote:
Just sick of this organization going for the guy that’s left rather than going for the guy that makes sense.


Miami needs the guy who is going to tell them what they don't want to hear. Someone brutally honest who has witnessed success recently and knows the proper components.

Sean Payton


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:41 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10938
Location: Fargo, ND
I don’t understand the Vance hype unless this is all about the color of the skin. I sure hope it’s about the best guy for the job.
If I’m Ross I’m on the phone with Sean Payton like yesterday trying to get him down here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2841
Vance Joseph would be a disaster.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:39 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
Phin wrote:
I don’t understand the Vance hype


There isn't really any hype, its just that he is buddies with Grier and they trust him. I think it was the PFN guys who reported he is seen as more of a fallback option.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27614
Location: Miami, FL
Obviously if we hire a guy like Daboll, he has to have enough humility to be willing to bring in someone on the defensive side that can run that show. I think a lot of these young hotshot OCs becoming head coaches want to put their stamp on the entire team and shy away from strong personalities on the defensive side.

Daboll can focus on Tua and the offense and leave the defense to a strong personality.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23752
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phin wrote:
I don’t understand the Vance hype unless this is all about the color of the skin. I sure hope it’s about the best guy for the job.
If I’m Ross I’m on the phone with Sean Payton like yesterday trying to get him down here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I do think Ross likes to give minorities a chance, and that is a good thing, but Vance Joseph has not shown that he has a championship in him as a DC or a HC. This year, it is looking like the Bears will hire Caldwell and the Jaguars will hire Leftwich. I think both have earned it.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
The positive about Daboll is he can give them a very good read on how rivals view Miami.

I hope that he can keep the current defense and its framework in place for some continuity.

If true that he wants to work with Tua then we should view it as a vote of confidence.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r