All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Can anyone explain to me why Vance Joseph is on this list? He had the worst defense the Dolphins ever fielded in the NFL and he had two losing seasons following a Broncos super bowl win (grant it that Peyton Manning retired, but Manning was only a shell of himself the year before). I think Joseph is someone who talks a good game, but the results have been poor.

Albert Breer (MMQB/SI) wrote:
The Dolphins’ process should accelerate in the coming days. My feeling is that a significant part of it will ride on how the dominoes fall. Quinn remains the big domino. Again, he’s scheduled to be in Jersey Monday, and it certainly stands to reason that could push the Broncos to move their process along. If Denver were to take Quinn off the market, that could create some tension on Daboll—I’m told he interviewed well with the Dolphins, and his background with the organization, having been there in 2011, helps his cause. If the Giants try to close on Daboll? Then, Miami could turn to its ex-defensive coordinator (and current Cardinals DC) Vance Joseph, another candidate who’s positioned well with Miami wrapping up its initial set of head coaching interviews.

One big thing for the Dolphins has been finding a way to bring the building back together, after the strife the football operation endured through 2021. And while it’s been stressed to me that Miami hasn’t made any decisions yet, and remains focused on wrapping up the first phase of interviews, the standing relationships that Joseph and Daboll (and remember, Daboll has one with Tua Tagovailoa, too) had coming in appear to be relevant now

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/24/mmqb- ... mes-burrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Its the buddy system. His guy is in charge in Miami so he gets the benefits.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ross tends to lean toward the ignorant, so I would imagine Joseph is the leader of the pack. *eye roll*

Out of those mentioned, I am taking Daboll, although he's not my frontrunner personally.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:25 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

I find it interesting, per Ben Allbright, that Joseph was not allowed to pick his staff in Denver. Whether that is good or bad, I do not know. But we really have no idea who he may bring to Miami because there isn't a history of staff building. Unless Grier is giving him the same type of offer and asking him to simply "hold everyone together".

Maybe Captain Star Bleeper opens up the wallet for some high end coordinators to assist Joseph.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:24 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Jammer, I am very afraid that Ross is going to bugger this one up ... again.

Everyone has an unnamed "source".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Get ready for the drama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Big Dave wrote:
Jammer, I am very afraid that Ross is going to bugger this one up ... again.

Everyone has an unnamed "source".

If Daboll wants the Giants he gets either Watson (although some are questioning whether Mara would allow it) or the top rookie QB. Its probably that versus how difficult it would be to put pieces around Tua (and make it work).

I don't know of anyone else pursuing McDaniel at the moment.

Its a dangerous thing to say, but the QB crop in 2023 could be pretty darn good and Miami has two picks. That is a nice contingency plan. BUT, last time we said that was 2017 which produced both Mahomes and Watson, and a couple hyped 2018 guys have already fizzled (Rosen, Darnold, maybe even Jackson).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:33 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Matt Cannata predicts Vance Joseph will be the hire.

So.... excited.... about.... th.... zzzzZZZzzzz....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Matt Cannata predicts Vance Joseph will be the hire.

So.... excited.... about.... th.... zzzzZZZzzzz....

He just needs to marinate in the system more….I line that word

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I’m out… He is NOT A HEAD COACH!!!! I am telling you this, we would be looking for a new Coach in less than a year. Actually, at that point, you would might see all of it blown up. Grier and Joseph both would be out.

I feel like it’s time to find competition for sure at QB. Not saying that Tua is or is not the guy. But, I believe he needs to be pushed to see all he can do. Shoot, I think we need someone that exudes the confidence and believes he is always in the game and proves it.

Makes me wonder how much Dan is involved in the process. I mean, if I was Dan, I would want someone that feels like he could go toe to toe with me on my best day and doesn’t back down.

Outside of that, a real HC that can actually pull it all together as well as bring in a staff would go a long way.

Not to mention, free agents that want to play in Miami because they feel like there is a reason to play here. The coach and the players have a lot to do with that.

Just sick of this organization going for the guy that’s left rather than going for the guy that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cboy72 wrote:
I’m out… He is NOT A HEAD COACH!!!! I am telling you this, we would be looking for a new Coach in less than a year. Actually, at that point, you would might see all of it blown up. Grier and Joseph both would be out.

I feel like it’s time to find competition for sure at QB. Not saying that Tua is or is not the guy. But, I believe he needs to be pushed to see all he can do. Shoot, I think we need someone that exudes the confidence and believes he is always in the game and proves it.

Makes me wonder how much Dan is involved in the process. I mean, if I was Dan, I would want someone that feels like he could go toe to toe with me on my best day and doesn’t back down.

Outside of that, a real HC that can actually pull it all together as well as bring in a staff would go a long way.

Not to mention, free agents that want to play in Miami because they feel like there is a reason to play here. The coach and the players have a lot to do with that.

Just sick of this organization going for the guy that’s left rather than going for the guy that makes sense.

We need more rants from you brother

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

cboy72 wrote:

Miami needs the guy who is going to tell them what they don't want to hear. Someone brutally honest who has witnessed success recently and knows the proper components.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:48 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Amen Jammer!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Again truly do not care. Its wash, rinse and repeat with Ross. In 2025/26 if still on this Earth we will be looking at another fired coach with a new hire coming in.. Until he is not the owner, things will not change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

There is too much smoke on Vance Joseph for my comfort level. Almost like the brass had the hire preplanned and are now preparing you for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:24 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Again, why is anyone concerned. Unless Ross leaves, the orgs path will not change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:51 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Vance Joseph is my last choice for HC. That said, if he hires a solid staff and not be a complete jerk to the people in the house, he may surprise. But like I said, last choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joseph now the heavy favorite per Vegas odds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Vance Joseph.

Jfc. Screw those folding tables Buffalo, I'm putting myself through the windows of my home if they hire him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 am 

All signs point to Vance Joseph.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:01 am 

Some positives about Joseph as Miami DC:

Quote:
Joseph was announced as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins for the 2016 season under head coach Adam Gase. Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league.[2] The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.

But Joseph will most likely take us back to a 4-3. I hate all the switching back and forth on base formations when you have a solid defense in place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Some positives about Joseph as Miami DC:

Quote:
Joseph was announced as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins for the 2016 season under head coach Adam Gase. Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league.[2] The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.

But Joseph will most likely take us back to a 4-3. I hate all the switching back and forth on base formations when you have a solid defense in place.

Vance Joseph talks a good game and is very professional, but the results on the field say something different. I don't hate the guy, but I would be seriously disappointed if he is "the guy". I just get the feeling that if we hire Joseph, we just saw our last winning season for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:40 pm 

New rumor is that Mike McDaniel impressed quite a bit and the room is split between him and Joseph.

I'm rooting for McDaniel in that horse race.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Yep. Ditto Rich on this….

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

McDaniel would be my choice as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
New rumor is that Mike McDaniel impressed quite a bit and the room is split between him and Joseph.

I'm rooting for McDaniel in that horse race.

My choice: McDaniel >> Joseph.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 pm 
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ

McDaniel looks to be the logical choice for this team.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:04 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

We need someone that understands offense. Not offense for the other team!!! It’s time to have someone that can get us to 27-28 pts a game on a regular. Our defense can hold opposing teams now under 20 a game. Especially when you can sustain drives and give them time to rest. It’s a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

You know it makes me think that Joseph isn’t the guy if they hadn’t already hired him. There isn’t any reason why he can’t be hired since AZ is already out of the playoffs. Could there possibly be someone that they’re still talking to. Or… Maybe that’s me just hoping he’s not the guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:33 pm 

cboy72 wrote:
You know it makes me think that Joseph isn’t the guy if they hadn’t already hired him. There isn’t any reason why he can’t be hired since AZ is already out of the playoffs. Could there possibly be someone that they’re still talking to. Or… Maybe that’s me just hoping he’s not the guy.

It sounds like the Dolphins first choice would be Dan Quinn, then Brian Daboll. Everything I am reading says Quinn will go to the Broncos and Daboll to the Giants. So both McDaniel and Joseph are fallback options. It sounds like the Dolphins are trying to pre-emptively prepare everyone for Joseph in case they miss on Quinn and Daboll and it comes down to McDaniel and Joseph.

Many think McDaniel is an innovative young coach but could be a year or two away from being ready. Joseph is Grier's buddy so that's why he is in the discussion. It doesn't appear either McDaniel or Joseph are really being considered by any other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
cboy72 wrote:

It sounds like the Dolphins first choice would be Dan Quinn, then Brian Daboll. Everything I am reading says Quinn will go to the Broncos and Daboll to the Giants. So both McDaniel and Joseph are fallback options. It sounds like the Dolphins are trying to pre-emptively prepare everyone for Joseph in case they miss on Quinn and Daboll and it comes down to McDaniel and Joseph.

Many think McDaniel is an innovative young coach but could be a year or two away from being ready. Joseph is Grier's buddy so that's why he is in the discussion. It doesn't appear either McDaniel or Joseph are really being considered by any other teams.

Cauldwell is interviewing today with da Bears. He'd be a good choice to go with that good Bears defense. I'd like to know his story with Flores and the Dolphins. The Dolphins didn't even sniff in his direction.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

They may just run a year or two experiment with Vance and wait out a little at a better option to replace him with later if there aren’t many impressive options right now because none of these guys impress me personally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
cboy72 wrote:

Miami needs the guy who is going to tell them what they don't want to hear. Someone brutally honest who has witnessed success recently and knows the proper components.

Sean Payton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don’t understand the Vance hype unless this is all about the color of the skin. I sure hope it’s about the best guy for the job.
If I’m Ross I’m on the phone with Sean Payton like yesterday trying to get him down here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Vance Joseph would be a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Phin wrote:
I don’t understand the Vance hype

There isn't really any hype, its just that he is buddies with Grier and they trust him. I think it was the PFN guys who reported he is seen as more of a fallback option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am 

Obviously if we hire a guy like Daboll, he has to have enough humility to be willing to bring in someone on the defensive side that can run that show. I think a lot of these young hotshot OCs becoming head coaches want to put their stamp on the entire team and shy away from strong personalities on the defensive side.

Daboll can focus on Tua and the offense and leave the defense to a strong personality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phin wrote:
I don’t understand the Vance hype unless this is all about the color of the skin. I sure hope it’s about the best guy for the job.
If I’m Ross I’m on the phone with Sean Payton like yesterday trying to get him down here.

I do think Ross likes to give minorities a chance, and that is a good thing, but Vance Joseph has not shown that he has a championship in him as a DC or a HC. This year, it is looking like the Bears will hire Caldwell and the Jaguars will hire Leftwich. I think both have earned it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

The positive about Daboll is he can give them a very good read on how rivals view Miami.

I hope that he can keep the current defense and its framework in place for some continuity.

If true that he wants to work with Tua then we should view it as a vote of confidence.

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next