View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Parcells noncommittal on Jason Taylor 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Parcells noncommittal on Jason Taylor
Quote:
Dolphins V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells hosted an online chat on NFL.com Monday, touching on topics ranging from Kurt Warner's Hall of Fame chances to Parcells' relationship with Ricky Williams.

The biggest news to come out of the chat was Parcells' noncommittal stance on impending free agent Jason Taylor.

Asked the odds of Taylor returning to the Dolphins, Parcells had this to say:

"I don't know the answer to the Taylor question at this moment. He's a free agent as of March 5 and we haven't discussed it yet. We'll see where that goes when the time comes."

Parcells and Taylor's relationship appeared rocky during the 2008 offseason when the six-time Pro Bowler participated on Dancing with the Stars, allegedly against Parcells' wishes. Taylor was later traded to Washington for second- and sixth-round picks, only to re-sign with Miami last offseason. He had seven sacks and forced three fumbles in 2009.

The Dolphins would probably prefer to get younger at Taylor's position, but he is still productive as a situational pass rusher. The 35-year-old figures to generate sizable interest on a thin free agent market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... on-taylor/

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Parcells noncommittal on Jason Taylor
here is a it more from parcells interview

Bill Parcells talks JT, Ricky, Chad Pennington and the Dolphins’ need for a No. 1 wide receiver
by Edgar Thompson

Bill Parcells made a rare public “appearance” this afternoon, taking questions for 30 minutes on a live chat hosted by NFL.com.

Here’s the transcript. But if you’re simply interested in the Dolphins nuggets, read on.

As expected, Parcells didn’t reveal much, including the team’s plans for 35-year-old linebacker Jason Taylor.

Taylor said last week he wants to explore his options and keep playing.

Asked about the team’s plans, Parcells sounded like he might let JT test the waters.

“I don’t know the answer to the Taylor question at this moment,” Parcells said. “He’s a free agent as of March 5 and we haven’t discussed it yet.

“We’ll see where that goes when the time comes.”

Taylor might like more of a commitment, but last week he also sounded like a man with more leverage than he might have.

Taylor is a good 35-year-old player, but sounds like a good 30-year-old player. But some team is going to court him, thinking he’s the JT of old, not a guy best used as a spot-duty player on a good defense.

This could drag on, like it did when Parcells first arrived and he and Taylor didn’t see eye to eye.

Meanwhile, Parcells clearly is a huge fan of another veteran player, running back Ricky Williams.

“I do have a good relationship with him,” Parcells said. “He’s an honest, hard-working guy. Forthright, and working hard to rejuvenate his career. And he’s certainly done that.”

But while the Dolphins’ run game is in good hands, Parcells was asked about whether the team needs a No. 1 wide receiver to aid Chad Henne’s development at quarterback.

“We’d be interested in the position,” Parcells said. “But they have to be available, we can’t invent them.”

Odd answer, considering a number of other teams have had success identifying and developing No. 1 WRs.

Here’s a few other Parcells’ answers that might interest you:

- Will quarterback Chad Pennington go into coaching?

“I think Chad’s intention is to try to continue playing, so I don’t think coaching is on the forefront for him right now.”

- Did Rex Ryan call Parcells during the season for advice?

“Rex did call — but it was for advice on the Breeder’s Cup,” said Parcells, a big horse racing fan. “I told him he should consult with someone else on that matter.”

- Who is funnier between Parcells and quick-witted offensive coordinator Dan Henning?

“He’s a lot funnier than I am.”

- Biggest regret of his coaching career.

“Probably having to leave the New England Patriots.”

- Which of the former Cowboys on the Saints roster did he most regret letting go?

“One of them left in free agency — (linebacker) Scott Fujita. I didn’t have much chance to compete since Fujita’s agent was also Sean Payton’s agent. Probably if anyone had gone on to have a career that I thought he might have was Scott.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -receiver/

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:53 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Jason will be back and at his old position as Joey Porter will be released. As long as Jason is not looking for ridiculous money, he should be back.

He is not the player he once was, but he is still productive and he provides leadership on a young team that will get younger.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

“We’d be interested in the position,” Parcells said. “But they have to be available, we can’t invent them.”

I wonder what he means by that. Not going after a #1 guy via trade?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:36 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:

I wonder what he means by that. Not going after a #1 guy via trade?

Not breaking the bank to get one. 3 things have to happen in order to trade.

A team willing to trade
Us willing to trade picks
A team willing to take sane trade compensation

You can't just wish a team in to willingness to trade a #1 receiver, even if said receiver wants out (Boldin and Ocho are good examples).

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

How about Julius Peppers?

FFMastermind.com wrote:
Julius Peppers Uncertain of Where He'll Play in 2010 --
Sat Jan 30, 2010

AP reports the Pro Bowl means a $1.5 million bonus for DE Julius Peppers, which will tide him over until the next paycheck. He says he has no idea who will be writing it. "Anywhere is a potential landing spot," the Carolina Panthers' defensive end said following the final practice for the NFC all-stars Saturday. "I'm not going to say I want to play for any team or I prefer to play anywhere, because I really haven't thought about it. I haven't thought about playing for x, y or z." Last year, the Panthers gave Peppers the NFL's highest single-season salary of more than $1 million a game. The contract included a $1.5 million bonus for making the Pro Bowl. The deal came after the Panthers placed the restrictive franchise tag on him, denying Peppers his wish to leave in free agency. Carolina could restrict his movement by placing the franchise tag on him again, but that would come with a 20 percent raise, meaning a salary of more than $20 million. The Panthers haven't said what their plans are. Peppers, who rarely talked to reporters this season, shed little light on his status Saturday. Is he waiting for an offer from Carolina? "I really have no idea what's going on," he said. Would he prefer to remain with the Panthers? "I don't have a preference," he said.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If we let Porter walk or trade him, we pretty much have to sign Jason Taylor as insurance.

I like Wake but he is raw as a OLB.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]