Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grier's Drafts ( Maybe )
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Seen many here and other places complaining about Grier.

Now it argumentative if Grier took control in 2016 or 2019. However lets review his drafts and I'm grading this not based on just what they did in Miami, but what their career ended up. Meaning, did Miami walked away to quickly or simply poor coaching inhibited them.

The grades are based on where they were drafted and their results in the NFL, not just with Miami & not how great they were in the NFL.

1 1 13 13 Laremy Tunsil - A - PBer
2 2 7 38 Xavien Howard - A+ One of the Best
3 3 10 73 Kenyan Drake - B Solid 3rd Rd Pick
4 3 23 86 Leonte Carroo - F Checked the Boxes, but missed
5 6 11 186 Jakeem Grant - B -Nothing Great, but solid returner.
6 6 29 204 Jordan Lucas - D- Still in the NFL in 2021
7 7 2 223 Brandon Doughty - F -Miss
8 7 10 231 Thomas Duarte - F- Miss

To sum this draft up. Two PBers, one very solid RB and a solid returner that did play WR at times.

Overall: I would grade this draft as a solid A.

1 1 22 22 Charles Harris - C- Never developed in Miami. Succeeding in Det.
2 2 22 54 Raekwon McMillan- D - Great LBer if this were the '70s
3 3 33 97 Cordrea Tankersley - D- Knee injury ended basically ended career.
4 5 20 164 Isaac Asiata-F-A WTF happened pick -Many were pumped with him.
5 5 35 178 Davon Godchaux - B - Solid DT for a 5th
6 6 10 194 Vincent Taylor - C -Serviceable backup for a 6th
7 7 19 237 Isaiah Ford - C- The man that will not go away. Making strides.

To sum up: The blown out knee draft. I would grade this draft as a: C. Harris started showing a little promises after leaving Miami in 2020, and ended 2021 with 7.5 sacks. One has to wonder what happened in Miami. McMillian was just a run stuffer that blew out his knee his rookie yr. Tank never came back as blowing out his knee. Asiata was the largest surprise for myself. Many foresaw him being a stud at guard, but not sure he ever started a game. Its bad draft when a 5th Rd. pick ends up being the best pick for your team.

Overall: I would grade this draft as a C-. To many knee injuries and change of coaches effect things. Got 4 solid yrs from a 5th Rd. pick.

1 1 11 11 Minkah Fitzpatrick A+ - Considered one of the best.
2 2 10 42 Mike Gesicki - A- Solid TE, leaves me wanting more
3 3 9 73 Jerome Baker - A- Solid LBer
4 4 23 123 Durham Smythe -B- Solid backup TE
5 4 31 131 Kalen Ballage - F Miss
6 6 35 209 Cornell Armstrong - F Miss
7 7 9 227 Quentin Poling -F - Miss
8 7 11 229 Jason Sanders - A+ Solid kicker, bad 2021.

To sum this draft up. Three solid starters and one of the best safeties in the NFL. Not Griers fault things fell apart in Yr. 2. Gesicki & Baker may not be stars, but they are above avg. starters. A solid kicker. So this is a very good draft.

Overall: Solid A

1 1 13 13 Christian Wilkins - A- Solid pick
2 3 14 78 Michael Deiter - C- Might be developing
3 5 13 151 Andrew Van Ginkel - B- - Showing promise
4 6 29 202 Isaiah Prince - D - Still in NFL
5 7 19 233 Chandler Cox - F- Never understood this pick. Why a FB?
6 7 20 234 Myles Gaskin - B- Starter for Miami, but not a bell cow.

To sum this draft up. Blossoming DT. Deiter still on team, and might be a quality center with better coaching. Ginkel is slowly becoming a rush LBer. Prince never made it in Miami but is playing in Cincy. Cox was a WTH pick for me. Gasking is a very decent RB with some moves, but not going to get to many 3rd and 1.

Overall: Solid B

1 1 5 5 Tua Tagovailoa - C+ - Player some love to hate
2 1 18 18 Austin Jackson - D - Now playing Guard
3 1 30 30 Noah Igbinoghene - F- So far miss
4 2 7 39 Robert Hunt - A+ - Developing into a stud.
5 2 24 56 Raekwon Davis - A -Solid DT
6 3 6 70 Brandon Jones - B+ - Developing S
7 4 5 111 Solomon Kindley - C- Huge disappointment in Yr. 2
8 5 8 154 Jason Strowbridge - F- Miss
9 5 18 164 Curtis Weaver - F- Miss
10 6 6 185 Blake Ferguson - A- Great Long Snapper
11 7 32 246 Malcolm Perry - D - Now in NE

To sum this draft up: So far the draft many fines using to define Grier. Tua showing promises, but not playing like the man drafted behind him so many see a bust. Jackson needed developing and still does. Needs a constant message for coaches. Igby. So far not getting it. Maybe its coaches, maybe its not. Hunt appears to me like he will make a PB in time. Davis is a solid DT. Jones is growing and is a solid rushing safety. Outside Ferguson the rest was misses and Weaver only made it a few days in camp before being cut.

Overall: D+ Little to early to grade but the two yr returns appear to a lacking. Maybe new coach will improve the return.

1 1 6 6 Jaylen Waddle - A+ - Set rookie receiving record.
2 1 18 18 Jaelan Phillips - A- Developing. Finished Season W/8.5 sacks
3 2 4 36 Jevon Holland - A+ Appears to be a perennial PB coming
4 2 10 42 Liam Eichenberg - C- Needs to play RT
5 3 17 81 Hunter Long - D- - Rarely saw the field
6 7 3 231 Larnel Coleman - D- Never saw the field, still with team
7 7 17 244 Gerrid Doaks - D- Never saw the field, still with team

To sum this draft up: Ball hit out of the park with bases loaded on Yr. 1 returns. Three potential PBers in Rd. 1 / 2. Eich was drafted to play RT, but moved to LT because of struggles of Jackson. Long IMO was a protection pick against losing Gesicki to FA. Coleman / Doaks were PS players all yr.

Overall: A+. To land three potential PBers in your first three picks is always a solid draft. If Eich develops into a solid tackle and Long turns into a solid starting TE, then this draft will be unreal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:06 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I think your grade was a little harsh for 2020. Hunt, Davis, Jones & Ferguson are solid starters, and there's PB potential for Hunt and Davis IMO. Yes, the whiffs make it look worse, but the jury's still out on those 1st rounders. Different coaching may bring out their potential. Even w/o that though, I'd give it no worse than a C,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Tough to grade Grier's drafts in the Tannenbaum years. We know Mikey T had a lot of authority (although he was correct about Justin Herbert and would have pushed for him).

I like what Grier has done the last few years. Yes, everyone will point to the 1st Round of 2020 as a reason to let go of him. But it isn't out of the question for Tua to be a top 15ish QB, Jackson to make strides with better coaching and Igbinoghene to find a role (now knowing who Flores is, wouldn't surprise me if he messed with the kid).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:16 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

k-dash wrote:
I think your grade was a little harsh for 2020. Hunt, Davis, Jones & Ferguson are solid starters, and there's PB potential for Hunt and Davis IMO. Yes, the whiffs make it look worse, but the jury's still out on those 1st rounders. Different coaching may bring out their potential. Even w/o that though, I'd give it no worse than a C,

I went low because the two 1st Rders right now are lacking in production. If Hunt / Davis turned into PBers and Tua is at least someone a team can make the playoffs with. It would be a solid B.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Tough to grade Grier's drafts in the Tannenbaum years. We know Mikey T had a lot of authority (although he was correct about Justin Herbert and would have pushed for him).

I like what Grier has done the last few years. Yes, everyone will point to the 1st Round of 2020 as a reason to let go of him. But it isn't out of the question for Tua to be a top 15ish QB, Jackson to make strides with better coaching and Igbinoghene to find a role (now knowing who Flores is, wouldn't surprise me if he messed with the kid).

Drafting talent is only part of the puzzle. Grier’s free agent moves and wheeling/dealing of picks are often puzzling, and often hurt the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Phinished wrote:
Drafting talent is only part of the puzzle. Grier’s free agent moves and wheeling/dealing of picks are often puzzling, and often hurt the team.

Tend to disagree on the free agent moves and trades. That was a Flores problem. Flowers was fine at LG and Van Noy was better than Elandon Roberts at ILB. The reason the early trades look bad is because of the picks made in the 2020 draft. I don't have a problem with the move up to get Waddle last year because this draft is a bit sparse in Rd 1 talent. Next year is looking better and they'll have two 1sts.

But Grier can't hide behind Tannenbaum and Flores forever. He needs to put his stamp on this offseason by first getting the right head coach. Then they need to decide if Tua is THE GUY or just a guy who might be top 15. The rest will fall into place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:42 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Without a doubt, the 2021 draft has been a huge success. I think the jury is still out on the 2020 draft, as I think Tua still has an incomplete grade. I would like to give him 1 more year under new coaching to see what he can really do.

I will say that what Grier has done amazing well is his management of the salary cap. This does not get a lot of attention, but over the past couple of years he has put us in a great spot to add talent. Hopefully this off season we can make a solid step forward.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thanks for putting this together Dolphins4me. Overall, I give Grier a B..........ultimately, he'll be judged on the Tua pic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
..........ultimately, he'll be judged on the Tua pic.

And, as it should be. Going into that draft, everyone including Grier knew that the QB pick was the most important pick in this rebuild.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:12 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

My question is this.

With reports coming out of Grier being a GM who listens and wants to collaborate with the other members on staff, and even some reports of Flores saying he wants this player or that one, and Grier going along with it… how do we know exactly who has been doing the picking? Was it Flores giving a ton of input? Was it Grier putting in all the work and collaborating with Flores and them coming to a conclusion together?

Outside of all the reports of Flores hating on Tua, what about all the other players? So does the failure or the success of Grier rely on himself alone? Sounds to me like Grier let Flo have a lot of say in players, except Flo apparently didn’t want Tua, or didn’t want him after he seen him play… and that’s what started the angst between everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Don wrote:
My question is this.

With reports coming out of Grier being a GM who listens and wants to collaborate with the other members on staff, and even some reports of Flores saying he wants this player or that one, and Grier going along with it… how do we know exactly who has been doing the picking? Was it Flores giving a ton of input? Was it Grier putting in all the work and collaborating with Flores and them coming to a conclusion together?

Outside of all the reports of Flores hating on Tua, what about all the other players? So does the failure or the success of Grier rely on himself alone? Sounds to me like Grier let Flo have a lot of say in players, except Flo apparently didn’t want Tua, or didn’t want him after he seen him play… and that’s what started the angst between everyone.

Homers will just point to his successes and ignore stuff like that….don’t forget that the GM also signed off on Flores. But hey, 22 years without a playoff win, so stay the course!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:12 am 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Phinished wrote:
Homers will just point to his successes and ignore stuff like that….don’t forget that the GM also signed off on Flores. But hey, 22 years without a playoff win, so stay the course!

Again. Where is that perfect GM located within the NFL? You make it sound like picking college players is easy. Grier has nothing to do with what happened with this org prior to at least 2016.

The biggest issue with this team has been constant churning of the coaches. Head Coaches & others. Again this yr. New HC, new OC, new offense for a Qb & others to learn. Players never have gotten the chance to feel comfortable within the offense and where a coach can then add and allow the offense to grow.

Look at Billy Turner. Not good enough for Miami, but good enough to block for Rodgers. Look at Wade Smith. Not good enough for Miami, but made the PB with another team. Its not that Miami has lacked talent, they have lack consistency within the org and the coaching staff.

Its why teams like Pitts, typically can put a quality team on the field. They do not over pay for FA and develop the talent they bring in. Plus their coaching staff remain constant and its not like the Steelers do not have their misses on draft selections.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:01 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:

This right here. You can't hold Grier accountable for Tannenbaum's picks. The 2019 draft is the first one where the final decisions were all his.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's something to think about concerning Grier's picks along the OL. Remember that many analysts liked our draft picks. Someone whom I'd like to take another look at is Solomon Kindley. Austin Jackson ... I'm not sure if he has the intelligence to play in the NFL but we'll see.

Alain Poupart (SI) wrote:
Q: Hello Alain, thank you as always for your great insights and coverage. Could one rightly argue that Grier's offensive line choices are not necessarily duds if coached by a high-end coach with consistent (and good) technique season to season? Happy New Year to you and your family!

POUPART: Hey Mark, first off, thanks and Happy New Year to you as well. And I absolutely agree with you that the issues on the offensive line are not strictly about personnel choices. How much of it is development and coaching, I’m not sure, but I refuse to believe that every single draft pick they’ve used on offensive linemen has been a bust.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... h-and-more

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]