Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:56 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Per Tom Pelissero.

Between Daboll, McDaniel and the rumors of Pederson I think it is pretty clear Miami is targeting an offensive guy.

Maybe they keep the current defensive staff to make life easier on the new HC?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He was off everyone's radar. Shanahan has an excellent offensive system at SF.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

I believe Miami interviewed him for a coordinator position at one point in time. Its possible he impressed them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Don't sleep on this guy. His specialty appears to be designing the ground game and SF's running offense was 7th in yards, 5th in TDs. And their lead back was a 6th Round rookie.

He doesn't look like a guy who can lead people, but then again players will buy into results.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
Don't sleep on this guy. His specialty appears to be designing the ground game and SF's running offense was 7th in yards, 5th in TDs. And their lead back was a 6th Round rookie.

He doesn't look like a guy who can lead people, but then again players will buy into results.

So far this may be the most intriguing candidate, along with Daoll. For me anyway.
I think I'm out on Ancient Caldwell.

Does anyone get the feelign that Ross was like "Screw Flores, I'll go get Harbaugh. Tell the media we're bringing in a CZAR!!!!!!" So everyone does as Ross says.

One day later, reports are out that we're bringing in a plethora of coordinators for interviews.

Again, something stinks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

The Don wrote:
Again, something stinks.

I don't think there is a secretive master plan. Sounds to me like Ross was tired of the BS from Flores. For the first time in his ownership he cut bait sooner rather than later.

I believe him when he says he likes the youth that Grier brought in. He wants someone who can maximize all of the talent, not just on the defensive side of the ball.

It wouldn't shock me they hire McDaniel and a veteran OC (maybe someone who doesn't get a HC hire in this cycle) to be a guiding force similar to what Caldwell should have been for Flores. Then pour a bunch of money into the offense to really strengthen the ground game. Once that is in place you make your QB decision. If they aren't rolling with Tua then flip a pick for a veteran game manager (Jimmy G comes to mind if it is McDaniel) and see if there is a QB in this draft or next you envision as "your guy."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:22 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

The more I read about McDaniel the more he is becoming my favorite option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:

Out of all the names I've heard so far, McDaniel and Bieniemy are the ones I am intrigued by the most.

The only thing I wonder is how much is it the system producing the results, versus the OC's. But regardless, he shoudl know the system well enough to bring it in and implement it.

I just wonder what kind of staff he would be able to bring in with him to support his efforts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

The Don wrote:
jammer wrote:

Out of all the names I've heard so far, McDaniel and Bieniemy are the ones I am intrigued by the most.

The only thing I wonder is how much is it the system producing the results, versus the OC's. But regardless, he shoudl know the system well enough to bring it in and implement it.

I just wonder what kind of staff he would be able to bring in with him to support his efforts.

McDaniel had a huge hand in designing the system for Shanahan. He also designed plays for Gruden once upon a time. You see players saying he is the smartest person they've ever worked with.

I agree with you on the staff which is why I would hope Miami hires another former HC to come in and assist.

I don't want Bienemy. Seems like he had a lot of baggage when coaching Colorado and consistently bombs interviews. Last thing Miami needs is another personality risk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Bienemy is a low character guy. No thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:48 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Yeah its official, I want Mike McDaniel as the coach. Don't be fooled by his geeky appearance. I've watched several videos of him teaching players and he will maximize the young talent on this team. He seems to be extremely respected across the league and doesn't have that Adam Gase persona of thinking he's the smartest person in the room. I'm willing to bet some good coordinators would join him as a way of riding his coattails to a HC job of their own.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:58 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Wow, Dan. I'm still leaning towards a guy I can feel confident would attract a good staff (Caldwell, Quinn or Pederson) but that endorsement does move the needle for me. I respect your opinion enough to make me sit up and notice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Wow, Dan. I'm still leaning towards a guy I can feel confident would attract a good staff (Caldwell, Quinn or Pederson) but that endorsement does move the needle for me. I respect your opinion enough to make me sit up and notice.

It looks like we are going to try to hire the next up and coming "hot" name coordinator based on the list of 7 coaches we plan to interview. Here's hoping we know what we are doing this time, because we've done this the past two hires.

I'm hearing a lot of good news about McDaniel. I'm definitely not against it. He needs to show that he can bring in some quality coordinators and coaches.

He needs to get a haircut and a shave though ... lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm really liking him. Smart and knows what he is talking about. I can finally see a balanced gameplan with him in charge. He interviews today via Zoom since he has a short week before the playoff game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:34 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

If you bring this guy in, then the top part of the draft should be spent upgrading the O-Line and finding a capable runner. DJ and Gaskin can stick around as second and third options.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Even if everything goes down in flames I want this guy for sheer entertainment value. I might enjoy the press conferences more than the games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:42 am 

God he looks woke as hell....

If we hire him, I hope that is not the case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:10 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

He has got a potty mouth!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:01 pm 

Or an owner of a craft brewery. I do not think woke people curse..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:04 pm 

Makchell wrote:

Or an owner of a craft brewery. I do not think woke people curse..

Woke people do everything behind closed doors, even say racist things, and then try to destroy other people who do the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm 

True

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm 

I'm hearing Mike McDaniel has a little bit of a drinking problem...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:36 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Had. What I read is that it was an issue earlier in his career but that he's been dry for several years now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:57 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Rich wrote:

Had it in Atlanta. The team supported him, got him through rehab and sober ever since.

Now a pothead? Can totally see that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:34 pm 

Once you had a drinking problem, you always have a drinking problem. It's hard to stay clean. Hoping the pressures of leading a cursed franchise with a fickle fanbase don't drive him back to drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:30 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Once you had a drinking problem, you always have a drinking problem. It's hard to stay clean. Hoping the pressures of leading a cursed franchise with a fickle fanbase don't drive him back to drinking.

Is that sticky icky illegal in Miami?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Heck, I don't even lead this franchise, I just root for it; and it drives me to drink from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

So, where have you heard that he has a drinking problem? Has he had DUIs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:44 am 

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

So, where have you heard that he has a drinking problem? Has he had DUIs?

Quote:
One of the notable names is offensive assistant Mike McDaniel. He served as wide receivers coach in Washington and Cleveland in 2013 and 2014, and has been listed as a general offensive assistant for the Falcons since 2015. McDaniel worked with Shanahan in Houston from 2006 to 2008, but then spent two seasons in the brief existence that was the UFL.

I was wondering what led to the UFL stint, and USA Today NFL columnist Tom Pelissero would appear to have the answer. Pelissero put together a fascinating feature article on McDaniel earlier this week. It turns out, McDaniel has dealt with an alcohol problem throughout his life, but has not had a drink since January 2016. He credits the Falcons coaches and front office for providing the support for him to enter a rehab facility and get a better handle on the underlying causes of his drinking (depression).

They don’t clarify when McDaniel went to rehab, but it would appear to be early in the 2016 offseason. Once he returned from rehab, Dan Quinn gave him a bigger role in generating game-plan ideas. Shanahan remained the leader of the offensive coaching staff, but it appears McDaniel got more opportunities this past year.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/4/1 ... e-shanahan

The details this doesn't go into is that people in previous stops had found empty bottles in his office. He was even let go from one job due to this issue.

Obviously there are people who deal with this and are able to be functional and even successful in life. But one of the top reasons people go back to the bottle is stress.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Rich wrote:
Obviously there are people who deal with this and are able to be functional and even successful in life. But one of the top reasons people go back to the bottle is stress.

Seems to me that he has handled an already stressful job without returning to alcohol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:49 am 

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Seems to me that he has handled an already stressful job without returning to alcohol

You cannot compare the level of stress he has handled to what he would handle being "the guy" in Miami.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:33 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

You cannot compare the level of stress he has handled to what he would handle being "the guy" in Miami.

Especially when he will be compared to Flores every step of the way. Not just that, but the pressures of the QB situation, dealing with the media day in and out.

For his sake I hope he has situated his addiction issues with alcohol. It can be a nasty beast to tame for sure.

From that one video, he seems like an over the top personality. Who knows how this will play out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

That's very concerning and leaving SF removes some of his support system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:58 am 

Rehab is for quitters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

I completely disagree. Have witnessed it first hand in various professions, including sports.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

That's very concerning and leaving SF removes some of his support system.

He hasn't had a drink in 6 years. He's almost 40 years old.

This isn't a kid who is just out of rehab.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:32 pm 

I don't know how you can compare an assistant coach who has a support system to a head coach who will be "the guy".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Six years of sobriety…… the odds are in his favor.
Give him a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Rich wrote:
I don't know how you can compare an assistant coach who has a support system to a head coach who will be "the guy".

Stress is what you make of it. Some handle it much better than others regardless of the responsibilities put on their plate.

Struggling to coordinate an offense could feel much more stressful than overseeing an entire team.

I just don't buy that taking on more responsibility will suddenly create new levels of stress that may lead to past demons.

I've seen mid level guys completely panic and struggle their way up the ladder, and then be cool as a cucumber once in the more supervisory role. Its not black and white.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:52 am 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Rich wrote:
Bienemy is a low character guy. No thanks.

Understand, but that was over two to three decades ago. I'm not holding anything against him, based on what I've read he had done

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next