All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 pm 

Quote:
The Dolphins have struggled in recent years to find any real flow or rhythm. A big part of the problem is that the owner of the team doesn’t spend nearly enough time in the building to assess how or where or why things are going.

Stephen Ross lives and works in New York. He’s one of the NFL’s various absentee owners. And this has not helped the Dolphins craft the kind of consistency that allows long-term stability and success.

Wherever the Dolphins go from here, the problems will continue as long as Ross serves as an absentee owner. As another owner said several years ago when asked about the fact that Ross doesn’t live and work in his team’s city, “I love competing against him.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... an-flores/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Meh, I don't know how much of a role this really plays. Jerry Jones is far from an absentee owner and... yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makes the argument for having a czar, but that didn’t go well with Parcells.
Is this something you trust Marino with (ala Elway), or do you look at a former HC who has won a Super Bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Meh, I don't know how much of a role this really plays. Jerry Jones is far from an absentee owner and... yeah.

Of course with Jones there only room in Texas for one with the size of his ego.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:59 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not a big fan of reading anything from PFT that is beyond the fact of the article. I don't always agree with their opinions. They are like me here: I post news going around about our Dolphins and I add my opinion to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Is Ross a true NYC socialite kinda guy?

Phin wrote:
Makes the argument for having a czar, but that didn’t go well with Parcells.
Is this something you trust Marino with (ala Elway), or do you look at a former HC who has won a Super Bowl?

No. Marino is a jock. His presence within the team is no doubt a plus though. Just not as any kinda real decision maker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:20 pm 

Quote:
Miami Dolphins firing coach Brian Flores is an unjustified travesty of a clown-show owner | Opinion BY GREG COTE UPDATED JANUARY 10, 2022 3:27 PM

Unjustified. Unfair. Shocking. Egregiously premature. Embarrassing. Irresponsible. Dumbfounding. Not enough words have yet been invented to adequately and fully describe the national clown show the Miami Dolphins became Monday with the sudden and utterly stupid firing of head coach Brian Flores.

Ross firing one of the league’s few Black head coaches with extremely dubious cause and already having in mind his white replacement — not a good look, that. “I’m not going to be the one who takes Jim Harbaugh away from the University of Michigan,” Ross stated Monday. People who fully buy that might be almost as gullible as those folks awaiting the return of J.F.K. Jr. at Dealey Plaza.

There is a line of succession. The next Dolphins majority owner, business partner Bruce Beal Jr., already is known. It’s a matter of when Ross wishes to step down. It can’t come soon enough.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:05 pm 

Here we go with the racial stuff. The owner that hired a black GM, black head coach and has a Polynesian starting QB and donated tens of millions to combat systemic racism is now firing the black head coach he hired because he's black.

We've reached a new level of stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Rich wrote:

There is absentee owner and a meddling owner. One just needs an owner that is aware of what is going on within the house.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:20 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Rich wrote:
Here we go with the racial stuff. The owner that hired a black GM, black head coach and has a Polynesian starting QB and donated tens of millions to combat systemic racism is now firing the black head coach he hired because he's black.

Ross's track record proves its not racist. He has fired every coach 3-4 yrs in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

From what Allbright reported, Ross pushed for Tua. That doesn't sound like absenteeism.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

But it’s just not good enough until Obama and his kids have majority ownership bruhh. Continue the family legacy like the Ginns.

Quote:
Miami Dolphins firing coach Brian Flores is an unjustified travesty of a clown-show owner | Opinion BY GREG COTE UPDATED JANUARY 10, 2022 3:27 PM

Unjustified. Unfair. Shocking. Egregiously premature. Embarrassing. Irresponsible. Dumbfounding. Not enough words have yet been invented to adequately and fully describe the national clown show the Miami Dolphins became Monday with the sudden and utterly stupid firing of head coach Brian Flores.

Whenever you read this many adjectives…you know the writer may be full of shhh. He sounds like a scorned woman.

This will move Greg Cootie up the ladder. He’s clearly too embedded with the media, it’s made him dumb.

The JFK line was funny though. It’s all so insanely patronizing to an entire racial demographic, amazes me how far down the rabbit hole they’ve gone. This is what they want though because they love to point fingers…reminds me of that scene from Scarface..they need a bad guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:21 pm 

jammer wrote:
From what Allbright reported, Ross pushed for Tua. That doesn't sound like absenteeism.

For me that in and of itself does not speak to or against absenteeism. Being present in the building and seeing how the day to day dynamics of the team its interactions etc... are going, I think is what the author of the article had in mind not draft day decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

For me that in and of itself does not speak to or against absenteeism. Being present in the building and seeing how the day to day dynamics of the team its interactions etc... are going, I think is what the author of the article had in mind not draft day decisions.

I understand that is where he is going with it. But every local reporter talks about Ross knowing exactly what is going on day to day, and who is responsible for decisions being made. Ross himself has interjected, for better or worse, on certain decisions. That is part of it too.

My personal opinion is Florio is and has always been a dolt. I've heard him get interviewed by sports radio up here in Boston and he comes across as a guy who reads other peoples' info and regurgitates it. He was famously called out about a Pats' story and embarrassed, then never came back on the radio station.

Ross's problem is and forever will be that he tries to be both in charge and universally loved. He doesn't have to do that with his other business dealings, but the "fame" of the NFL seems to have him acting differently. I don't fault him for trying, but he continually screws up (although it sounds like he got today's decision correct).

He needs a true football czar to come in and take care of business.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:20 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:

[/quote]

Who would you advocate for such a role?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

k-dash wrote:
Quote:

Who would you advocate for such a role?[/quote]

No idea at this point. But they have two very highly regarded guys in Reggie McKenzie and Marvin Allen already in house.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:45 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:

Personally, anyone who even thinks of making this about race is stupid. All this social justice, critical race theory and getting woke crap needs to go.

There's a reason why I stopped drinking Coca Cola products, and it's not because of the taste.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

I understand that is where he is going with it. But every local reporter talks about Ross knowing exactly what is going on day to day, and who is responsible for decisions being made. Ross himself has interjected, for better or worse, on certain decisions. That is part of it too.

I had a departmental boss who seemed to know everything each of us did. I was in an elevator when he came in, and he and I rarely meet each other, and he asked me about this little job that I was working on that was low of importance to the department. I was shocked. I think Ross is this kind of a guy. I'm not saying I'm in Ross' camp, because I think he is part of the problem with this team. I would hope that he is getting to know other successful owners in the NFL and what made them work. How much has he learned from them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

I keep going back to what Rich said about preparation for the weather in the Titans game. There is something deeper there.

The defense has been borderline excellent since they played Houston, but can you name one time the offense looked like they knew what they were doing? Maybe finally letting Duke Johnson shoulder the load against the Pats?

And as someone pointed out about Mike Gesicki, he would run to the sideline and basically plead to get more chances after showing Flores he could make a big play.

I'm starting to wonder if Flores had so much confidence in his defense winning games that he wanted the offense to be a bit part at best aka having a reason to flush the personnel and start again with Watson?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:31 am 

Things I noticed about the offense aside from the obvious that the offensive line sucks and the playcalling was imbalanced.

1. Receivers often were running the wrong route.
2. Offensive linemen were often missing blocking assignments. Not just getting beat, but sometimes blocking air.
3. Several instances where there was confusion before plays, where you could see a player yelling at another player telling them they were out of position.

A lot of people are pointing at Tua and his lack of ability to throw deep (I could post several videos of him throwing deep). But the entire offense seemed like a discombobulated mess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Rich wrote:
Things I noticed about the offense aside from the obvious that the offensive line sucks and the playcalling was imbalanced.

2. Offensive linemen were often missing blocking assignments. Not just getting beat, but sometimes blocking air.
3. Several instances where there was confusion before plays, where you could see a player yelling at another player telling them they were out of position.

A lot of people are pointing at Tua and his lack of ability to throw deep (I could post several videos of him throwing deep). But the entire offense seemed like a discombobulated mess.

Bingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:20 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Bingo

Not to mention that this mess on offense is Flores' fault by the way he handled his coaches. I still don't know what was wrong with Chad O'Shea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:29 pm 

As for the people (like Mike Lombardi) that keep criticizing Tua for not going to deep:

1. This was by design as the Dolphins ran an offense designed to mask offensive line deficiencies thru RPO and a quick passing game.

2. You had the worst pass blocking offensive line in the history of the Universe (there isn't a hyperbolic enough statement to describe how bad this line was at... well anything really) and you need pass blocking to attack downfield.

3. No running game to set up play action.

4. When Tua did throw over 20 yards in the air, he was the second most accurate QB in the NFL.

Honestly, what is happening with Tua is a complete and total repeat of what happened with Tannehill.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hear Marc Colombo is making a name for himself as an OL coach. Imagine the irony in hiring that guy to get the Miami line back on track after the almost Jackson-like season he had with us as an OL himself.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]