View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Miami is 1-3 in games where Henne throws for 300+ 
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Post Miami is 1-3 in games where Henne throws for 300+
Everyone is so geeked about Henne throwing for 300+ yard the other night but his record isn't so good when he has a good day of passing. So what gives?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Miami is 1-3 in games where Henne throws for 300+
Starting off slow....

I didn't look it up, but I think it's due to being down early and having to throw to get back into the game.....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Only one of those games I believe they actually planned that way, the Pats game last season in Miami, I feel our plan all along was to come out passing expecting Bellichick to have his team prepare all week for a running attack...

Henne went 29/52 for 335 & 2 TD's, we won by a point...

But I really think the whole key to it was that the Dolphins wanted to throw BB off balance. It would seem someone feels strongly about game planning on that particular week...

The other games are just times where we have to move the ball and take the chances... We are not a high output passing team... I am ok with that.
You may get the wrong idea when some of us ask for the deep ball. We dont want 350 - 400 passing, just to stretch the field now and then since we can...
It keeps defenses honest when they want to play up close to stuff the run...

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Our team wins when we run the football successfully, play good physical defense, and don't turn the ball over. That's the equation. When all three of those things happen we almost always seem to win, no matter how ugly the end score. I like our chances against New England this week. The Patriots defense will allow us to run with more success and that will take a lot of pressure off of Henne and the receivers. As long as the defense doesn't repeat last weeks performance we will be alright.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:20 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

The Hen wrote:
Starting off slow....

I didn't look it up, but I think it's due to being down early and having to throw to get back into the game.....

Yeah I agree.

The only win was the Patriots game last season. The 2 losses last year were Houston and Tennessee...two games where were down by 24, and 21 respectively at one point.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
The Hen wrote:
Starting off slow....

Yeah I agree.

The only win was the Patriots game last season. The 2 losses last year were Houston and Tennessee...two games where were down by 24, and 21 respectively at one point.

Yeah, and then Sunday's game was another poor performance by the defense. Essentially, when the defense plays well Miami runs, and when they're not they throw it.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Maybe they need to tell themselves, right before each game, that they are down 14....This team can score, just funny it's when we're loosing

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I brought up this point in another thread; this offense is not unhandcuffed until we are down by two scores. It's maddeningly frustrating that we don't seem to play to put teams away, rather we try to grind it out against teams. I'm all for controlling the clock and running the ball, but i want to see our weapon in Henne released and used to potential. If we aren't going to start using him like we did Sunday night, perhaps we better put Pennington back as our starter. This offense is capable of blowing out teams.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I guess another way of putting this is, Henne only throws for 300+ when the defense really sucks.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Its simply classic football strategy. A defense wants to make its opponent one dimensional by stopping the run and making the offense throw the ball. The same thing happens when a team trails by several TD's. They abandon the run and go to the pass. The ideal offensive game would be to have a balanced running/passing day. When the defense has to worry about both the run and pass it it makes an offense much more effective. In the Jets game the Jets out rushed the Dolphins 146 yds to 84 yds. The Jets averaged 5.0 yds per carry to the Dolphins 3.7 yds per carry. The Jets plan was to stop Miami's running game and force Henne to beat them with the pass. If the Dolphins want to win more than they lose they need to win the battle on the line of scrimmage. I also think they need to abandon the wildcat because it has led to a lot of negative yardage plays lately. I wish they would go to a more traditional offense. I did love the fact that Henne started using the shotgun a lot. He is a work in progress and is making big strides.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]