View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Random thoughts/solutions from last night's game 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Random thoughts/solutions from last night's game
Sorry about the format but time is against me, i have about a 15 min break!

Offense B
-Henne looked good and if he keeps that kind of play up, we have our franchise QB that we haven't had since Marino
-Marshall needs the ball. I mean, the guy is an animal and he plays with such intensity
-Henning called a great game, but there are problems. Here what I propose...
-the wildcat drive killer must be stopped. Why did Ronnie throw a pass when Henne was on fire? Then we do a triple hand off that doesn't work that much in the NFL. I don't get it. Henne needs to be in the game with Marshall
-Pick a RB and leave him in the game. Both of our backs are the kind of backs that will pound and then destroy with big yrds in the 4th quarter. The only problem is that need the ball about 20-25 times a game. Stop splitting the carries. Spell the starter, but that's it. BTW, the starter is obvious, feed Ronnie.
-When Ronnie is gashing the defense in the 4th quarter, do not, I repeat, do not throw a cute little pass on 3rd and 2. Pound the effing ball with Ronnie
-the best counter to the blitz is the screen pass and draw play. I saw neither last night.

Defense D
-They made the Jets punt a few times, but it was actually the Jets OL taking penalties that helped us.
-Where is the pass rush? Run defense? Swarming to the ball and making tackles? Allen, stay in your position and undercut that route, Clemons had your back.
-Nice adjustment on covering Keller in the 2nd half, but the damage was already done.
-Langford...WTF? the ball was thrown so softly that your reaction time seemed like a fast ball was being thrown at you.

Special Teams C
-Hey Dan, kick the ball in bounds. Is it that hard being a professional kicker?
-that punt block really hurt us
-Nice pin inside the 20 but again, the damage was already done

All in all that was a very winnable game. There is a fine line in winning and losing in this league. There are a lot of positives, but like the last two games, there are plays that are left on the field. Playoff teams make plays and make the other teams pay for mistakes.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Random thoughts/solutions from last night's game
I know of the 3-and-2 pass you pointed out ..... As great of a game as Henne was having, he was awful with the fades and lead passes down the sideline. I was so irritated that on a 3rd and short, we'd try and get cute like that. That's a "man up" play ..... take them head on and pound it.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

That triple reverse was a 20 yard play if Kory Sheets is healthy and the one running it rather than Cobbs.

Henning called a good game and then swallowed down a stupid pill again and broke out the WildCat.

Henne is a big time QB. Is he as good as one of the big 3? No. Is he a Rivers or Rogers? No. But he can be a very good, Carson Palmer (pre-injury), type of passer. And maybe he already is one. Henning needs to let him sling it more often. We're going up against the worst secondary in the NFL next Monday Night. Let him sling it and we'll put up 30+.

Hopefully the D got a wake up call. That was the sloppiest performance I have seen by our D since last season. It was a pathetic performance. I love Mike Nolan, but he is human and had a terrible gameplan last night; not as bad as the execution on the field, but a bad game plan non the less.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

not as bad as the execution on the field

Yep, Allen got caugh when he should have jumped that route, especially with over the top help. Nolan had them in good position on that play.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Yep, Allen got caugh when he should have jumped that route, especially with over the top help. Nolan had them in good position on that play.

Ugggh it was such an awful play. Rookie-style mistake. An all-pro would've jumped it just like you said.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Makchell wrote:

He had a poor gameplan in that he didn't really blitz and just rushed 4, but he called a decent game, if that makes any sense.

He got the players in position to makes plays, and they didn't. That's the worst. We should have won, and we didn't. We didn't lose to a better team, or play our best game but just got unlucky...we didn't make the plays that were there against an inferior team, and the Jets at that. I'm going to be sick about this one for years man. I still haven't gotten over Indy and NO last year, and unless we go deep into the Post Season, I'm not forgetting about this one for a very long time.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
-Where is the pass rush? Run defense? Swarming to the ball and making tackles? Allen, stay in your position and undercut that route, Clemons had your back.

I'm going to suppose he was thinking this when he fell down....Clemons was on the other side of the field. Hard to judge but the secondary just needs more time. The safety issues are still hurting us.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

I'm going to suppose he was thinking this when he fell down....Clemons was on the other side of the field. Hard to judge but the secondary just needs more time. The safety issues are still hurting us.

If Clemons had his back, where was he to make a tackle?

No one had his back. He was in single coverage. The closest guy after Allen was Bell who didn't catch up to Edwards until he was in the endzone.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

No one had his back. He was in single coverage. The closest guy after Allen was Bell who didn't catch up to Edwards until he was in the endzone.

He was talking about the 3rd down in the last NY drive.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:07 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I just don't get why Henning insists on going away from what is obviously working so well. Brown was killing it, so on 3rd and 2 he calls a pass. Marshall was blowing up, so we try to force it to Fasano. Henne catches fire and we call wildcat. If we had not converted that 3rd and 1 (the one where we passed rather than giving it to Polite), there would be another head scratcher to add to the list.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Wrong play guys. That play was a routine tackle if he didn't slip. I was talking about the the 3rd and long on NY last drive. Clemons was there as the backup and he helpedon the tackle. Allen was out of position.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
He was talking about the 3rd down in the last NY drive.

My bad. I thought he was talking the J Allen slip ---> B Edwards TD.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
I just don't get why Henning insists on going away from what is obviously working so well. Brown was killing it, so on 3rd and 2 he calls a pass. Marshall was blowing up, so we try to force it to Fasano. Henne catches fire and we call wildcat. If we had not converted that 3rd and 1 (the one where we passed rather than giving it to Polite), there would be another head scratcher to add to the list.

"We" didn't try and force it to Fasano, Henne did. Henne's job is to make decisions about who is and is not open and get it to the appropriate guy. He made a bad choice. He should have thrown it to Marshall no matter the coverage. It comes down to trusting your players and not your scheme. Henne didn't do that. That last pass was ALL on Henne.

One thing I'd like to stop seeing is the stretches some make to place the blame on Henning when it doesn't belong there. Sure he made some mistakes, but any attempt to put the blame on the offense in any way shape or form, much less the play calling, is misguided.

This loss belongs to the D. They own this one.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
That triple reverse was a 20 yard play if Kory Sheets is healthy and the one running it rather than Cobbs.

Obviously that's speculation and I don't agree. I do believe, however, that Cobbs was dumb for hesitating and attempting to juke out whoever that was. If he had just kept going outside he would have at the very least gotten back to the line of scrimmage. That's two extremely dumb plays for Cobbs out of 8 total touches of the football this season...he needs to shape up or ship out.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:20 pm

eleaf wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

That was my whole point. Allen didn't try and take the underneath on the 2nd catch because he wasn't sure anyone had his back.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That's two extremely dumb plays for Cobbs out of 8 total touches of the football this season...he needs to shape up or ship out.

Yep. Add that to his piss poor kick off returns and why bother?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:06 am

Makchell wrote:
That's two extremely dumb plays for Cobbs out of 8 total touches of the football this season...he needs to shape up or ship out.

Yep. Add that to his piss poor kick off returns and why bother?

Cobbs average field position after KR was about the 28yd line. That's better than anyone else we've had all season. I do agree he's not suited for that role though. Personally, I think Cobbs needs to replace Williams.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:16 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Obviously that's speculation and I don't agree. I do believe, however, that Cobbs was dumb for hesitating and attempting to juke out whoever that was. If he had just kept going outside he would have at the very least gotten back to the line of scrimmage. That's two extremely dumb plays for Cobbs out of 8 total touches of the football this season...he needs to shape up or ship out.

....and then you speculate Cobbs would've made it back to the LOS. I doubt it. The guy was waiting on him. Bottom line is it was a stupid call because it didn't work. Again, the Jets appeared to have a copy of Miami's playbook. Everything they did worked and most things Miami tried didn't.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:18 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Again, the Jets appeared to have a copy of Miami's playbook. Everything they did worked and most things Miami tried didn't.

You make it sound as if the Dolphins offense was unproductive...

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 am

3 trips inside the 10....2 FGs and 1 Pick. You can't win games in the NFL like that.

Last edited by NFLJunkie on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
"We" didn't try and force it to Fasano, Henne did. Henne's job is to make decisions about who is and is not open and get it to the appropriate guy. He made a bad choice. He should have thrown it to Marshall no matter the coverage. It comes down to trusting your players and not your scheme. Henne didn't do that. That last pass was ALL on Henne.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Marshall practically tripped up off the line and covered by three guys in the middle? Yes it comes down to Henne making the decision, but the play was designed to go to Fasano and the coverage took out the other options. In this case they called a play that worked earlier and made your worst option your primary target. The play call didn't give Henne the best percentage for success.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 am

Henne had a good day between the 20s. He missed a wide open Hartline in the endzone...twice. Once when he threw in the flat to Brown and another when he forced a bad throw to Marshall that looked like it was intended for Cromartie.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]