Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Tua's first drive? TD!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:27 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He was like 8 of 9, downfield, with people in his face, ran for a first down....

Then on second drive, FG! Had a first and goal but pushed back by penalties, had to settle. Again, accurate, decisive, and down field, no dink and dunk....Gesicki a target on both drives.

Third drive, punt. Davis at RT is WORSE than our punching bag Jackson. He has missed a bunch of blocks on passes, the one hit Tua got was because of Davis, his man beat him clean.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:29 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

D forces 3 and out deep in JaX territory....punt, Miami ball inside the Jax 40. This should be points.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:35 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Miami going for 4th and 2 on the 30.....zip to Hollins, to the 10, first and goal!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:36 am 

I had to laugh at that "downfield" throw from Tua to Gesicki, from our 19 out to the 40. I was so excited for us to attempt (and complete) a long pass. But it was only 21 yards! I think it is safe to say we won't ever see Tua throw the ball 40 yards on a rope like we see Herbert, Mahommes, and Allen do. However, if he can be decisive and accurate, I'll take it. I think he can throw it far enough downfield to keep defenses honest, but they will be the lollip variety, not a frozen rope.

What was Tua doing there? Third and two and he escaped the pocket to the left and could have easily picked up five yards before sliding down. Instead he threw it to ... on one. Lack of awareness there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Complete one yard on 1st down...run two yards, third and goal....to Gaskin, inside the 5, incomplete, not a good throw by Tua....Gaskin would not have scored but they would have had fourth at the 2, maybe they go for it.

No matter, FG.

13-3.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I’ll call him Nosferatu if he comes back from the dead & gets this city back on track.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
I had to laugh at that "downfield" throw from Tua to Gesicki, from our 19 out to the 40. I was so excited for us to attempt (and complete) a long pass. But it was only 21 yards! I think it is safe to say we won't ever see Tua throw the ball 40 yards on a rope like we see Herbert, Mahommes, and Allen do. However, if he can be decisive and accurate, I'll take it. I think he can throw it far enough downfield to keep defenses honest, but they will be the lollip variety, not a frozen rope.

What was Tua doing there? Third and two and he escaped the pocket to the left and could have easily picked up five yards before sliding down. Instead he threw it to ... on one. Lack of awareness there.

do the math...21 yards downfield, but about 30 yards to the sideline...it wasn't straight downfield....and the ball had zip on it. Tua's throwing better than I've ever seen him here.

Good first game back for the kid, and why did you pickup the wrong glass?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 am 

carreramia wrote:
do the math...21 yards downfield, but about 30 yards to the sideline...it wasn't straight downfield....and the ball had zip on it. Tua's throwing better than I've ever seen him here.

Good first game back for the kid, and why did you pickup the wrong glass?

That thow wasn't to the sidelines. It was pretty much straight downfield. Now, I like Tua and I think he'll be very good (if he can stay healthy). Yes, he is throwing with zip, and that is encouraging. My point was just that we get excited about throws from Tua that would be routine for QBs with strong arms. On the other hand, last year Bill fans probably got excited by accurate throws from Josh Allen that would be considered routine throws by accurate QBs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:58 am 

We could have used Reggie Roby there. A 37-yard punt from your own 10 isn't very good. Our kicking game is not as good as last year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:58 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Miami pinned deep, inside their 5, can't get it out, punt, Jax ball on Miami's 48....1.35 left, 2 TOs for Jax.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:04 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Iggy the Bust, beaten in the endzone, TD Jax...a one on one, jump ball, who wants the ball more, the Jax guy won. It was a perfect pass by Lawrence, but Iggy was toast.

40 secs left, Miami 13-10....

Last edited by carreramia on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 am 

Jags go for it on 4th and 6 from the 35 and complete a 5-yard pass. Rowe doesn't make a clean tackle and the receiver falls forward for the first down. Next play is a TD pass, beating Igbinoghene. Coverage wasn't terrible, just a great throw and catch. I blame Rowe more than Ibgy for those points.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:07 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
Jags go for it on 4th and 6 from the 35 and complete a 5-yard pass. Rowe doesn't make a clean tackle and the receiver falls forward for the first down. Next play is a TD pass, beating Igbinoghene. Coverage wasn't terrible, just a great throw and catch. I blame Rowe more than Ibgy for those points.

Yeah, Coleman just stood there rather than pile drive the ball carrier, he would have been short of the 1st and Miami would have had the ball in great field position. We have special team players, 3rd stringers, playing in the secondary, and I'm not referring to Rich Man Jones.....not this time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:24 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

When he was driving the team downfield, moving the chains, getting scores, Tua was 10 of 12 at one point in the 2nd qtr, but he cooled off and finished the half 19 of 29 for 187. Now, that 187 looks awesome, if he can come close to that in the 2nd half, he'll have close to 400, which is not to be argued with (despite Jax being the opponent), but he wasn't looking the same from mid 2nd qtr on.

While some in the crew at halftime said good things about him, Boomer kinda put Tua down with this comment that when Tua faltered late in drives, "...those are the things that makes you wonder if he's the long term solution for the Miami Dolphins".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Making the Jags look good.

Last edited by Rick on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am 

Jags move right down the field without resistance from the Dolphin's defense. That is going to continue if we can't get pressure on the QB without blitzing. They were aided by another terrible call by the officials. Am I imagining things, or are we getting our unfair share of bad calls this year?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 am 

Rick wrote:
But why is it so important to so many Dolphin fans that Tua is the starting QB when the current coaching, management, offensive line, conditioning (unbelievable amount of injuries), and other issues are making the season hopeless? It's a weird obsession to argue about which QB plays in my opinion when there are 10 other major issues.

I haven't seen anyone of substance arguing about who should be the starting QB this year. The only disagreements I've seen are about whether Tua is the right long-term QB.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:44 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
Rick wrote:
But why is it so important to so many Dolphin fans that Tua is the starting QB when the current coaching, management, offensive line, conditioning (unbelievable amount of injuries), and other issues are making the season hopeless? It's a weird obsession to argue about which QB plays in my opinion when there are 10 other major issues.

I haven't seen anyone of substance arguing about who should be the starting QB this year. The only disagreements I've seen are about whether Tua is the right long-term QB.

Of "substance"? You mean us here don't count?! :)

There's no argument because there's no one worth comparing to Tua. Who? Brissett?? The Other Guy? Had they drafted Mac Jones, now, then there would be debate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:46 am 

Jump ball throws to Waddle are not going to usually be successful. Parker would have caught that ball, but Waddle just flailed at it, 6 inches lower than the hands of the two defenders.

That was another drive that was ruined by a penalty. Hollins had a 20-yard pass inside the 30 called back for pushing off, and it cost us at least 3 points. The previous penalty cost us 4 points, since we would have had it 2nd and goal on the 1 and we had to settle for the FG.

Suddenly we are not able to stop the run again on defense. Robinson is a tough back, always fighting forward for several yards after initial contact.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

With a loss to the Jags........if the coaches and management don't get axed then I don't know what else can help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:59 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Tua's arm weakness shows as he tries to throw a dart to Waddle deep down the sideline, Waddle was open, but the ball was way short, INT, this on the first play after Wilkens created a strip sack stopping a good Jax drive.

Waddle was between two defenders, on the sideline, so Tua had to get thread the ball in there and had to attempt a dart, but not enough arm....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:10 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Jax drives, goes for it on 4th down and 2 inside the Miami 20, the guy is stopped cold...Miami drives, Tua to Gesicki long completions and YACs, then Tua to Waddle for a 2yd TD....thanks to Urban Meyers going for it rather than hit the FG that would have put Jax up 7, instead they gave Miami momentum after the stop and they are now trailing by 3.

VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:

There's no argument because there's no one worth comparing to Tua. Who? Brissett?? The Other Guy? Had they drafted Mac Jones, now, then there would be debate.

Yea, we would not being criticizing the white Qb for checking it down. :haha

VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:

Duplicate. Will not let me delete it

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carreramia wrote:
Tua's arm weakness shows as he tries to throw a dart to Waddle deep down the sideline, Waddle was open, but the ball was way short, INT, this on the first play after Wilkens created a strip sack stopping a good Jax drive.

Waddle was between two defenders, on the sideline, so Tua had to get thread the ball in there and had to attempt a dart, but not enough arm....

What glass are you drinking from?

On the next drive, Tua was excellent. He has had some great completions on third down this game. They used the tight ends effectively in the middle of the field that drive and finished with another TD to Waddle, who did a nice job of reaching the ball across the goal line. Dolphins up 20-17.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:20 pm 

I have a lot more confidence in our offense (today at least) than our defense. The Jags haven't really stopped us all day. Our unsuccessful drives have been due to penalties or the interception on a poorly thrown ball.

The Jags have some good skill players in Lawrence, Robinson, and a couple of their receivers. I was hoping that our DL would overwhelm their injured OL, but that hasn't been the case.

Waddle is really good. Always catches the ball and is tough in ways that Ted Ginn and many other smaller receivers are not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

What glass are you drinking from?

On the next drive, Tua was excellent. He has had some great completions on third down this game. They used the tight ends effectively in the middle of the field that drive and finished with another TD to Waddle, who did a nice job of reaching the ball across the goal line. Dolphins up 20-17.

yes, but are u arguing my point on that INT? How convenient....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:26 pm 

Tough call on that third down catch/drop by Gaskin. I never saw the ball hit the ground, even though he bobbled it. His hand was under it the entire time, wasn't it?

We lost that challenge and then used another one on the subsequent punt, losing that one as well. Come on, FLores! That was never going to be overturned -- quit wasting the timeouts.

Last edited by prof123 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Iggy the Bust, beaten in the endzone, TD Jax...a one on one, jump ball, who wants the ball more, the Jax guy won. It was a perfect pass by Lawrence, but Iggy was toast.
As you said. It took a perfect pass, so Iggy was in position that only a perfect pass could beat him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:

The ball was to low, not short. He needed more air under it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Iggy gets beat again on a key 3rd down, not looking for the ball....why they don't throw on his side on every down I'll never know.....oh, my, what a kick to tie...the ball was going wide right and it curved just inside the right upright....3.40 left Miami ball, and we have a better kicker....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm 

Not too often you see a FG draw back in like that after starting to fade right, but Jax just tied it up on 54-yard FG.

Part of me doesn't mind that they made the FG, to give the Dolphins offense a chance to respond aggressively. If they had missed, we would have tried to run out the clock, and Jax would have gotten it back.

2nd and 2 and we run Ahmed, for a yard? Hmmm... why would we do that? Keep doing what is working, which is the short passes, or at least use Malcolm Brown.

Brown picks up the 3rd and 1 conversion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:52 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Sorry guys. This was just unbelievably a bad loss. No coach or GM should be safe from getting axed. This years Jags is the worst NFL team to have existed in the last 5 years. To lose to them means total annihilation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 pm 

carreramia wrote:
Iggy gets beat again on a key 3rd down, not looking for the ball....why they don't throw on his side on every down I'll never know.....oh, my, what a kick to tie...the ball was going wide right and it curved just inside the right upright....3.40 left Miami ball, and we have a better kicker....

Inept coaching down the stretch. Coupled with some improbable things happening.
Now, perhaps "inept" is too strong of a word, but certainly we made a bunch of questionable calls and they didn't work out. But letting them get 9 yards in 4 seconds on 4th and 8 when there are 5 seconds left in the game? Inexcusable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We lost this game because we can’t run the ball. Pure and simple. Can’t run effectively, can’t run for a first down, can’t run to keep the defense honest. Defense played ok -just ok- considering we were down both starting corners.
Tua wasn’t perfect but overall he played well because he had time to throw.
This was an embarrassing loss and I suspect may put Flores on the hot seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Credit to the Jax OC for the play call that would have never occurred to ours.....but if the defenders don't touch him down the play clock expires....no way they get a TO call in time.....long flight home, Dolphin owners have fired two coaches after London failures...a third is deserved!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:13 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

When Flores said the F word when they didn't convert first down before end of the game, it was the first time I ever seen him care about how bad his offensive line is. You reap what you sow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Igby is trash. Pathetic on that first TD he gave up too. Tua had a nice game except for that bone-headed INT.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 pm 

carreramia wrote:
Credit to the Jax OC for the play call that would have never occurred to ours.....but if the defenders don't touch him down the play clock expires....no way they get a TO call in time.

Yes, it was a great call, but our defense should have been ready for it and been instructed to not touch the player down. Now, I am sure Jax was ready to call a TO right away -- but make them execute that themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:33 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Sometimes the other team can make a play. Iggy showed me enough that he is not a lost cause just yet.. Guess you can answered your own question. Why do you think they were not throwing towards him all day, if he is that horrible?

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next