All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Prior to the 2020 Draft, many people said that Grier would be judged on the picks in that draft as the Dolphins had 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders. What Daniel Oyefusi is talking about is that it is possible that all 3 of his first picks are not difference-makers:

2020 1st Round picks
* Tua - some big question marks right now, but his hip is healed. Unfortunately, he just suffered a rib injury.
* Austin Jackson - a bust at LT
* Igby - a bust at CB when the Dolphins did not need another CB drafted in the first round. He has been a healthy scratch so far this year except for a few plays on STs.

2020 2nd round picks were excellent:
* RG/RT Robert Hunt
* DT Raekwon Davis

But not all of his first round picks were busts:
* 2019 1st Round Pick: Christian Wilkins - taken a huge step forward as a difference maker at DT
* 2018 1st Round Pick: Minkah Fitzpatrick - Pro Bowl safety traded to Steelers (not Grier's fault)
* 2021 1st Round Pick: Jalen Waddle - Could be very good at WR
* 2021 1st Round Pick: Jaelan Phillips - Could be very good at DE/OLB

Daniel Oyefusi (Miami Herald) wrote:
Hey Daniel, you got to cover the Ravens, who have one of the best personnel departments in the NFL and handled a transition from [former general manager Ozzie] Newsome to [current GM Eric] DeCosta pretty seamlessly. What’s your initial perception of the Dolphins [front office] and subsequent ineptitude? - @asg_grant

The one thing that sticks out to me about Baltimore’s front office is that from DeCosta and the entire scouting department to head coach John Harbaugh and the coaching staff, there is a top-to-bottom understanding of the type of players the team wants in the organization. And this shows up in all facets of player personnel, from the draft to free agency. I remember speaking last year with NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who worked under Newsome as an area scout, and him explaining how diligent the Ravens were in training their scouts before sending them on the road.

I can’t speak for the Dolphins front office yet because I just haven’t been around the organization long enough but in the Grier era, there have been a host of questionable decisions that have put the team in the predicament we now see. And that’s not to say that a team can’t miss on a pick or free-agent signing; the Ravens have missed on a bunch over the years. But one thing the Ravens normally hit on is their first-round picks. If you compare that to some the Dolphins’ first-rounders in recent years, they have come up short. And it’s harder to establish a competitive team when the players who are supposed to be cornerstones are not panning out.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:26 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I won’t post many of the stats in Barry jackson’s latest breakdown of Fins performance, it’s just all become painfully redundant and repetitive, but in light of your list above, he did say ...

Quote:
There’s unlimited blame to share among players, coaches and general manager Chris Grier. Personnel picks can be questioned, from drafting Christian Wilkins over Brian Burns, to selecting Noah Igbinoghene over Trevon Diggs, to jettisoning Kyle Van Noy without adding a player who has contributed nearly as much.

Wilkins doesn’t seem to have taken a “huge” step forward, according to the numbers anyway, and saying that Fitzpatrick’s story isn’t Grier’s “fault” is head scratching. How can we absolve the team’s general manager from such a mistake, compounded by doing nothing with the pick received in return?

Anyway, here’s the link.....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... tiondigest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:46 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Wilkins doesn’t seem to have taken a “huge” step forward, according to the numbers anyway,
He is doing fine, not Aaron Donald fine, but fine.

I love when people play revisionist. No one was beating the drums for Burns and many thought he was a boom or bust prospect. The Bills took Ed Oliver over Burns. Don't see them complaining and Oliver is on par with Wilkins. Teams make their pick and live with it.

Raiders took Colin Ferrell at No. 4 overall. Let me point out that was NFL Networks draft expert Mike Mayock. Just a great example of there are no experts when it comes to the draft. He is also the one that spent a 3rd on Bowden, just to trade him for a 4th before he ever played a down.

carreramia wrote:
and saying that Fitzpatrick’s story isn’t Grier’s “fault” is head scratching. How can we absolve the team’s general manager from such a mistake, compounded by doing nothing with the pick received in return?
Everyone loves draft picks, but they are just gambling chips. Nothing guaranteed, especially when one looks over NFL draft history of all the 1st Rd. misses.

I was against trading Fitz and still am and will always be. Just like Watson. You signed the contract, show up for work. Not happy? Show up for work and "Do your job" Miami was foolish to moving him, but we are seeing more and more of teams trading player that are not happy.

We just saw the Jags trade Henderson. 9th Overall pick in 2020. However, with the coaching change, they did not care he was the 9th overall. They did not pick him. Why regimes every couple of yr cost the team in development.

How do you circle back around and blame Grier for drafting a PB safety and that PB safety gets upset because he was being ask to do exactly what he was expected to be able to do?

Outside 2020 picks, Grier has been solid in drafting. I think Miami got cute with Igby and feel in love with his athletic ability. If Jackson is capable of playing LG, then the pick was not a waste. Just not what "we" all wanted there. Igby would probably already be cut, if he were not a 1st Rd. pick. All one can do is hope for him to develop.

Seems Charles Harris finally did. Never understood teams drafting developmental prospect in Rd. 1. With FA you wasted a yr or two and if he gets them then you have to pony up.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
I was against trading Fitz and still am and will always be. Just like Watson. You signed the contract, show up for work. Not happy? Show up for work and "Do your job" Miami was foolish to moving him, but we are seeing more and more of teams trading player that are not happy.

Thank you. The team was already tanking and not expected to do much, so, if I were Flores I would have told him to get over it.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]