View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:35 pm



Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Why is everyone ripping the offense? 
Author Message
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20603
Location: Miami, FL
Post Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Dolphins fans truly baffle me. On a night in which the Dolphins were moving the ball at will on offense, and so were the Jets, people rip the offense?

What about a defense that couldn't cover, couldn't stop the run and couldn't pressure the QB? How about Cameron Wake consistently failing to set the edge? How about Yeremiah Bell looking more like Gibril Wilson than himself? How about a special teams unit that allowed a block punt, kicked a kickoff out of bounds and kept getting shredded by Brad Smith?

Those were the units that lost the game.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:21 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8401
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Totally agree, Rich. On top of that, Sanchez had all day to pass to wide open receivers, and there were many missed tackles.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 pm
Posts: 133
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Offense did amazing tonight. Anyone that doubts Henne, just look at his numbers. When the game plan allows him to do his thing.... WOW!

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm
Posts: 892
Location: Orlando, Fl
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
I agree to an extent but some of the play calling was still baffling. When you are having success why go away from it and try these wacky formations? Also, at he end of the day we are running team and need to punch the ball in the red zone.

My optimism about the Phins is as high as it has been in years. You can see this team is on the cusp of being a top contender.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:26 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4446
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
I agree, the offense did well in the air, could have added a little more to the run game early on.
Defense seemed to show some of the same areas of concern as last year.. We need Crowder back, those two guys filling in keep getting burned when Dansby is sent to the QB..
Cam Wake had his hands full, and not having Oddrick I think isnt helping the pass rush situation. Wake did make some nice plays tho, the key was 2 stops on 2nd and 3rd down giving us the go-ahead drive that we just ended up kicking a FG to come within 1 point...
So Wake did just what we needed there, and the effort only equaled a FG in a 4 point game.... Its hard to point the finger at him

There are some concerns. But I feel a little better now seeing our passing offense show some light...

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:37 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3330
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Half of our run plays were wildcat... not cool.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 945
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
can we start a petition to BAN the dumb wildCRAP?

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
Dolphins fans truly baffle me. On a night in which the Dolphins were moving the ball at will on offense, and so were the Jets, people rip the offense?

What about a defense that couldn't cover, couldn't stop the run and couldn't pressure the QB? How about Cameron Wake consistently failing to set the edge? How about Yeremiah Bell looking more like Gibril Wilson than himself? How about a special teams unit that allowed a block punt, kicked a kickoff out of bounds and kept getting shredded by Brad Smith?

Those were the units that lost the game.


There was plenty of blame to go around but when you bring in an anemic spread offense to waste downs in critical situations you own part of the blame for the loss. It is absolutely maddening when a team runs a draw play and gets 10yds and never goes back to it yet manages to remain stuck on stupid when it concerns this offense.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:02 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Again...with Jake Long on the left side of the formation it is not the wildcat. If you want to call it a name call it the WildPat without Pat White. It didn't work last year in 16 games. It hasn't worked in 2 games this year but Henning rolls it out more times against the Jets to kill drives than he did in both the first two games combined. Idiotic and stupid are just two words that come to mind.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:05 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 945
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
I am just sticking with wildCRAP. Sums it up nicely! :fart:

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:21 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5426
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
Dolphins fans truly baffle me. On a night in which the Dolphins were moving the ball at will on offense, and so were the Jets, people rip the offense?

What about a defense that couldn't cover, couldn't stop the run and couldn't pressure the QB? How about Cameron Wake consistently failing to set the edge? How about Yeremiah Bell looking more like Gibril Wilson than himself? How about a special teams unit that allowed a block punt, kicked a kickoff out of bounds and kept getting shredded by Brad Smith?

Those were the units that lost the game.



Agreed. Some of the run selection can be nitpicked, but for everyone who complained that the passing game needed to open up they got their wish and should be satisfied with what they saw. My only serious gripe would be the forced pass to Fasano to end the game. I understand it worked earlier and that all expectation was on Marshall for that play, but Fasano's inconsistency would lead me away from trusting him in that situation. Regardless, it wasn't there.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4446
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
dolphinjim wrote:
I am just sticking with wildCRAP. Sums it up nicely! :fart:


Any formation with Ronnie/Ricky taking the direct snap is now officially the "WildCRAP" regardless of who comes in motion, where Long lines up and if Henne goes wide right or on the sideline..
When Thigpen comes in for a play like this I will call it the "Wildcat v3.0" but util then its just the "WildCRAP" aka "The Drive Killer" :fart:

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5732
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
I agree Rich. THis oofense can hang with any team in the league. The Jet's defense hasn't given up more than 15pts over the last 9 games. The only thing on offense that sucks is the wildcat. SOrry, it's beating a dead horse, I know. BUT, to put Ronnie in to throw the ball or use that triple option whatever the hell it was called was stupid. Jason Allen, come on man, that route should have been jumped and picked. I also hope Langford had nightmares thinking about the ball that was tossed to him so softly and he whiffed on that pick.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
10acjed wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:
I am just sticking with wildCRAP. Sums it up nicely! :fart:


Any formation with Ronnie/Ricky taking the direct snap is now officially the "WildCRAP" regardless of who comes in motion, where Long lines up and if Henne goes wide right or on the sideline..
When Thigpen comes in for a play like this I will call it the "Wildcat v3.0" but util then its just the "WildCRAP" aka "The Drive Killer" :fart:


So why didn't they call it the Wildcat when Pat White ran the offense last season? Bottom line is the true wildcat has been shelved for unknown reasons why Hennings insistance that this offense has merit is killing the Dolphins.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
We didn't run enough on offense, though that isn't why we lost. We ran 21 times v 44 pass attempts. Even though we shredded them through the air, we didn't pound them enough on the ground. RB had over 5 YPC, we should have done more with that.

That said, that we couldn't stop the pass and forgot how go tackle was why we lost; it had very little to do with the offense.

My guess, Rich, is that people want any excuse possible to hate on Henning.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20603
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Quote:
We didn't run enough on offense, though that isn't why we lost. We ran 21 times v 44 pass attempts.


We were facing a lot of 8 man fronts with one on one coverage on the outside. I think we actually used the pass to setup the run this game.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:54 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3330
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
You know, if we killed the Wildcat (spread) all together next week and kept our pass game up, I might actually cross the fence on Henning.

I don't know what we are going to do in December when we have to cover both Holmes and Edwards...

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 215
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
I just don't see how anyone doesn't see that Henning effectively killed some very good drives with the WC. There was no need to show them the WC because we were effectively moving the ball in the passing game. We helped the Jets by not being effective with the WC and they took advantage.

The second thing is that granted we were running out of time on the last drive but on 1st down and goal we should have at least tried a draw or a screen or something. Playcalling sucks.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20603
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
The Jets were actually doing the same thing we were. They were running and passing at will, but still used their version of the Wildcat with Brad Smith at QB.

The difference was execution. They did. We didn't.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:21 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3330
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
People game plan for ours though.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
The Jets were actually doing the same thing we were. They were running and passing at will, but still used their version of the Wildcat with Brad Smith at QB.

The difference was execution. They did. We didn't.


I can think of one Pat White run last season that went for 16yds. Its the longest play ever recorded out of this stupid spread offense. I often think of how many drives its killed and momentum its stolen and wonder if Miami's overall win-loss would've been better without it. I only know one thing; Henning forces the issue when it comes to this and he's stuck on stupid. I will continue to call him out as long as he makes stupid decisions to force an offense that hasn't worked in 19 games on the fans and the team. His scheme and gameplanning otherwise, have been solid but it doesn't excuse these aberrations. You can't have a coach hell bent on hampering his own offense. Even his own players appear confused when they run it.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8401
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
NFLJunkie wrote:
You can't have a coach hell bent on hampering his own offense. Even his own players appear confused when they run it.


I'd actually like to see a breakdown of our rushing offense out of the traditional formations and out of the wildcat. My guess is that Henning felt the WC was a better matchup against the Jets front 7. Still, I'd like to see less of the WC in the red zone.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Miami was running best out of a single back set yesterday. It appears the Jets were caught a little off guard by the draw plays and quick hand-offs off tackle. The spread yielded about 16yds rushing on 10 attempts. Most of those came on the busted play with Brown reversing his field. What would make Henning think the spread offense works? it has never worked. Pat White ran it all last season with no success. The wildcat from two years ago hasn't even been tried this season.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
Quote:
We didn't run enough on offense, though that isn't why we lost. We ran 21 times v 44 pass attempts.


We were facing a lot of 8 man fronts with one on one coverage on the outside. I think we actually used the pass to setup the run this game.


Surely.

But I would still have liked to see us commit more to running the ball (even with 8 guys in the box - that is what we're built for afterall), especially after Marshall dictated what they would do on defense (that 8 guys in the box stuff was gone once Marshall made his presence known). There is no substitute for pounding the defense with the running game. If we had any real threat of a run (which we didn't late because we had abandoned it), maybe Marshall isn't double covered on every play during the last 4 downs.

What stat is it that says we win virtually always when we run the ball x number of times? This game reminded me a bit of 2007 where we would seemingly abandon the run and lose a close game because of it. Most weeks Henning is run heavy. This week he forgets that it's part of our DNA to run the ball no matter what the defense shows. Everything about our offense is built to run the ball (even Marshall who excels at run blocking). It's not like we were down big and had to throw the ball, especially in the second half. And by that point, they were too scared of Marshall to effectively play the run. RB did have a 5 YPC and RW had a 4 YPC average afterall which shows that we could run it; we simply chose not to.

Again, our offensive performance is NOT why we lost the game. That is all on the D which forgot how to cover and tackle (Y Bell had his worst game in a long time in both departments).

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2693
Location: MA.
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Quote:
The plays according to the game book:

Second quarter

First and 10 from the Jets 18 yard line:Ronnie Brown loses one yard.

Second and 11 from the Jets 19 yard line: Brown gains four yards.

Third quarter

Second-and-15 from the Jets 35 yard line. Brown has no gain.

Two plays later on first-and-10 from the Jets 20: Brown gains 5 yards.

On second-and-five from the Jets 15: Brown gains four yards.

On the next possession:

First and goal from the Jets 7 yard line: Brown gains one yard.

On the following possession:

First and 10 from the Miami 24 yard line: Brown throws incomplete to Marshall.

Fourth quarter

First and 10 from the Jets 36: Cobbs on the end around loses six yards.

It should be noted Brown gained 14 yards on five Wildcat carries. His carries out of the base formation accounted for 40 yards on six carries.

So that seems to build a case against Wildcat. But you must remember, the Dolphins lately are using the Wildcat package to even the odds on run plays. Seems most teams on early downs are stacking the box against the Dolphins on run downs. That means Miami is always at a one-man disadvantage in that with the QB under center, the defense always has one more defender than Miami has either blocking or running.

With the QB out of the way in the wildcat package, the Dolphins even the odds. So,yes, Wildcat is a downhill running offense.


The reverse to Cobbs was a blown play and the pass didn't work that time...It has in the past.....Take away the long run by Ronnie on the final drive and about all he had was wildcat yards...



Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z10lE7GrBF


Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
The plays according to the game book:

Second quarter

First and 10 from the Jets 18 yard line:Ronnie Brown loses one yard.

Second and 11 from the Jets 19 yard line: Brown gains four yards.

Third quarter

Second-and-15 from the Jets 35 yard line. Brown has no gain.

Two plays later on first-and-10 from the Jets 20: Brown gains 5 yards.

On second-and-five from the Jets 15: Brown gains four yards.

On the next possession:

First and goal from the Jets 7 yard line: Brown gains one yard.

On the following possession:

First and 10 from the Miami 24 yard line: Brown throws incomplete to Marshall.

Fourth quarter

First and 10 from the Jets 36: Cobbs on the end around loses six yards.

It should be noted Brown gained 14 yards on five Wildcat carries. His carries out of the base formation accounted for 40 yards on six carries.

So that seems to build a case against Wildcat. But you must remember, the Dolphins lately are using the Wildcat package to even the odds on run plays. Seems most teams on early downs are stacking the box against the Dolphins on run downs. That means Miami is always at a one-man disadvantage in that with the QB under center, the defense always has one more defender than Miami has either blocking or running.

With the QB out of the way in the wildcat package, the Dolphins even the odds. So,yes, Wildcat is a downhill running offense.


The reverse to Cobbs was a blown play and the pass didn't work that time...It has in the past.....Take away the long run by Ronnie on the final drive and about all he had was wildcat yards...



Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z10lE7GrBF


I noticed something VERY interesting on one of the direct snap plays last night.

A WR to RB's left (out wide) was left WIDE OPEN because the CB who was on him cheated towards RB from before the snap. He lined up at least 2 yards inside the receiver, and had his eyes on Brown the entire time without even bothering to play coverage; he started to run in to make a play before the ball was even snapped. If RB takes 1 step with the ball, then throws it to that flanker, he goes for 6. Even RB has a good enough arm for that.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
eleaf wrote:
kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
The plays according to the game book:

Second quarter

First and 10 from the Jets 18 yard line:Ronnie Brown loses one yard.

Second and 11 from the Jets 19 yard line: Brown gains four yards.

Third quarter

Second-and-15 from the Jets 35 yard line. Brown has no gain.

Two plays later on first-and-10 from the Jets 20: Brown gains 5 yards.

On second-and-five from the Jets 15: Brown gains four yards.

On the next possession:

First and goal from the Jets 7 yard line: Brown gains one yard.

On the following possession:

First and 10 from the Miami 24 yard line: Brown throws incomplete to Marshall.

Fourth quarter

First and 10 from the Jets 36: Cobbs on the end around loses six yards.

It should be noted Brown gained 14 yards on five Wildcat carries. His carries out of the base formation accounted for 40 yards on six carries.

So that seems to build a case against Wildcat. But you must remember, the Dolphins lately are using the Wildcat package to even the odds on run plays. Seems most teams on early downs are stacking the box against the Dolphins on run downs. That means Miami is always at a one-man disadvantage in that with the QB under center, the defense always has one more defender than Miami has either blocking or running.

With the QB out of the way in the wildcat package, the Dolphins even the odds. So,yes, Wildcat is a downhill running offense.


The reverse to Cobbs was a blown play and the pass didn't work that time...It has in the past.....Take away the long run by Ronnie on the final drive and about all he had was wildcat yards...



Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z10lE7GrBF


I noticed something VERY interesting on one of the direct snap plays last night.

A WR to RB's left (out wide) was left WIDE OPEN because the CB who was on him cheated towards RB from before the snap. He lined up at least 2 yards inside the receiver, and had his eyes on Brown the entire time without even bothering to play coverage; he started to run in to make a play before the ball was even snapped. If RB takes 1 step with the ball, then throws it to that flanker, he goes for 6. Even RB has a good enough arm for that.


You're not serious...right? That's exactly the play they tried to Marshall....except Ronnie wisely overthrew them all by 20yds. Maybe its just me but if you're going to line up in the spread offense you need a QB who can run and throw. The closest we have to that is Thigpen. So far, we've yet to see Jake Long move over next to Carey and run the wildcat right at folks. Personally, lets just ditch this whole thing and move on. It hasn't worked for over a year and its killing momentum and putting the offense in difficult down and distance positions.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2693
Location: MA.
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
You are wrong, it has works.....If you get 4 yds/per carry it worked!!!!!!!!

We get that....


Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20603
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Ski_Money wrote:
People game plan for ours though.


The Jets have been running it since last year. You don't think people see that on the gamefilm?

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20603
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
NFLJunkie wrote:
I can think of one Pat White run last season that went for 16yds.


Can't compare Pat White with Brad Smith.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
NFLJunkie wrote:
eleaf wrote:
kev1321 wrote:
The reverse to Cobbs was a blown play and the pass didn't work that time...It has in the past.....Take away the long run by Ronnie on the final drive and about all he had was wildcat yards...



Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z10lE7GrBF


I noticed something VERY interesting on one of the direct snap plays last night.

A WR to RB's left (out wide) was left WIDE OPEN because the CB who was on him cheated towards RB from before the snap. He lined up at least 2 yards inside the receiver, and had his eyes on Brown the entire time without even bothering to play coverage; he started to run in to make a play before the ball was even snapped. If RB takes 1 step with the ball, then throws it to that flanker, he goes for 6. Even RB has a good enough arm for that.


You're not serious...right? That's exactly the play they tried to Marshall....except Ronnie wisely overthrew them all by 20yds. Maybe its just me but if you're going to line up in the spread offense you need a QB who can run and throw. The closest we have to that is Thigpen. So far, we've yet to see Jake Long move over next to Carey and run the wildcat right at folks. Personally, lets just ditch this whole thing and move on. It hasn't worked for over a year and its killing momentum and putting the offense in difficult down and distance positions.


I'm not talking about some chuck and pray throw that we did see last night (which was an okay idea even though it didn't work - if RB throws that ball in the middle of the field instead of outside the numbers, the receiver (Marshall?) is still running with the ball).

I'm talking essentially a quick hitch pass to the outside. If the CB is going to ignore the receiver and play 100% run (which on the play I'm talking about absolutely did happen), we should eat their lunch.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5406
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I can think of one Pat White run last season that went for 16yds.


Can't compare Pat White with Brad Smith.


I wasn't. I was comparing the failure of an offensive set that Henning went to on 9 occasions yesterday that pretty much doomed the offense to FGs and punts.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3656
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
Dolphins fans truly baffle me.


Rich , you gotta be used to this by now. :)

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:47 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5115
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
The Jets were actually doing the same thing we were. They were running and passing at will, but still used their version of the Wildcat with Brad Smith at QB.

The difference was execution. They did. We didn't.


Exactly, when we were down 24-20 we couldn't punch it in. We settled for a field goal. We didn't execute!
Then when the game was on the line and we had the ball with pretty much 1st and goal to go from around the 10 yard line we again couldn't get it in. We didn't execute!
We moved the ball very well, but our redzone efficiency needs to be improved if we are going to win shootouts like that one. I know everyone hates the Wildcat in here for the most part, but if I'm not mistaken it has been very effective in the redzone the past couple of years. I would have liked to see us utilize the Wildcat in those two situations.


Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:40 am
Posts: 34
Post Re: Why is everyone ripping the offense?
Rich wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:
People game plan for ours though.


The Jets have been running it since last year. You don't think people see that on the gamefilm?

:hithead:


Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], rtwelve1993, swerve13 and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.