All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22764
Location: Raleigh, NC
I like the Waddle pick, but what the heck? There is like a virus going around on this team and they are making mental mistakes all over the field. This is not the character of a Brian Flores coached team that we've been used to for two years. What is going on?




_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Waddle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22764
Location: Raleigh, NC
Big Dave wrote:
What is going on?


I get bored reading the "let's start over" crowd. What I want to know is what is wrong and how can we fix it. For two years, Flores has led this team and the players totally bought into the system. That was a credit to Flores. Now they aren't and you have to point to the same person we all gave credit to in the first two years. Is it an ego problem? In some ways it is, because you don't bring in free agents ... sell them into coming to Miami ... and then kick them out a year into their contract when they play exactly as they did the prior year that you signed them. The Dolphins lost Kyle Van Noy's leadership on defense, and they lost Erick Flowers whom Austin Jackson developed good chemistry with last year. If you want to point to the problems that Jackson is having, I would point to this trade.

Phinphatic wrote:
An ego to rival Adam Gase

Adam Gase’s ego led him out of Miami even with the support of Stephen Ross. Gase not only thought he was better than everyone else, he made sure they knew it. Brian Flores has an ego as well but we haven’t seen it out in the open like we did with Gase. What we are seeing is that his approach to create the “Patriot Way” is not working as he thought it would.

Consider that no Bill Belichick disciple has found success, or much success after leaving the Patriots. Recreating what has been done in New England relies on having a quarterback and taking risks on defense. Flores doesn’t have a quarterback and has run his veterans off the field.

Last year the Dolphins were 10-6 and it looked like they would repeat or do better this year. Instead, Flores got rid of Kyle Van Noy and others because they couldn’t see eye to eye but in reality, he lost veteran leaders who knew the system that Flores was running. Now the team looks lost on defense and non-existent on offense.


https://phinphanatic.com/2021/10/11/mia ... ing-areas/

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7307
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Good comment on Van Noy. He was dealt with the wrong way.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Waddle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7698
Big Dave wrote:
I get bored reading the "let's start over" crowd. What I want to know is what is wrong and how can we fix it.
Dave, its the simplistic sports mind answer to just about everything. Blow it up and start over. They lost/losing so everyone needs to be fired. I remember fans wanting him fired after the first four games of the 2018 season when they were outscored 164 to 26. I still have faith that Flores can turn this around and truthfully I will most likely give a mulligan to him to fix it in the off-season.

Big Dave wrote:
For two years, Flores has led this team and the players totally bought into the system. That was a credit to Flores. Now they aren't and you have to point to the same person we all gave credit to in the first two years. Is it an ego problem? In some ways it is, because you don't bring in free agents ... sell them into coming to Miami ... and then kick them out a year into their contract when they play exactly as they did the prior year that you signed them. The Dolphins lost Kyle Van Noy's leadership on defense, and they lost Erick Flowers whom Austin Jackson developed good chemistry with last year. If you want to point to the problems that Jackson is having, I would point to this trade.

Its the main issue I have with how the NFL operates today. Its not about building chemistry and build the best football team. Its who can build a team for one yr just good enough to win, but not destroy the cap in the future. NFL has turned itself into a yearly league. Player like Van Noy cannot be butt hurt for getting what they ask for.

It appears we are already seeing the decline of the Chief with paying Mahomes. In the future I expect to see them become the Packer. Always there because of Mahomes, but never capable of building a winner, because of his contract. Its why if a team does not win on the Qbs rookie deal, most likely their chances of actually winning will decline greatly, unless they are solid and hit a lot talent in the draft and low dollar FAs.

Phinphatic wrote:
Last year the Dolphins were 10-6 and it looked like they would repeat or do better this year. Instead, Flores got rid of Kyle Van Noy and others because they couldn’t see eye to eye but in reality, he lost veteran leaders who knew the system that Flores was running. Now the team looks lost on defense and non-existent on offense.
Might be wrong, but I think Van Noy was a money/production call with the way Van Ginkle was playing.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6951
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Fell into the lets hire a NE Coordinator so he can bring that success to us trap.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:44 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10721
Location: Fargo, ND
FINesse wrote:
Fell into the lets hire a NE Coordinator so he can bring that success to us trap.

For the first two years he has. He also has a winning record against his ex coach - the only to do so. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt here as he has earned it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 419
Maybe he should actually design a strategy that caters to his player's strengths rather than trying to play them out of position and then run them off. Both Laremy Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick come to mind.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7698
ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Maybe he should actually design a strategy that caters to his player's strengths rather than trying to play them out of position and then run them off. Both Laremy Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick come to mind.

Not sure they ran either off. Tunsil was just a darn great offer. He was not Joe Thomas type talent.

Fitzpatrick is doing what Miami wanted him to do just now he is doing it in Pitts.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 419
Dphins4me wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Maybe he should actually design a strategy that caters to his player's strengths rather than trying to play them out of position and then run them off. Both Laremy Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick come to mind.

Not sure they ran either off. Tunsil was just a darn great offer. He was not Joe Thomas type talent.

Fitzpatrick is doing what Miami wanted him to do just now he is doing it in Pitts.


No he's not. Miami wanted him to play strong safety when free safety is his usual position.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22764
Location: Raleigh, NC
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

No he's not. Miami wanted him to play strong safety when free safety is his usual position.


Not only that, but they wanted him to bounce back and forth between safety and nickel depending on who the opponent was.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22764
Location: Raleigh, NC

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2599
Big Dave wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

No he's not. Miami wanted him to play strong safety when free safety is his usual position.


Not only that, but they wanted him to bounce back and forth between safety and nickel depending on who the opponent was.


Minkah knew the coaching and management of the team was crap and got out as fast as he could. Smart young man. You know your organization sucks when this stuff hapoens. Once he got to Pittsburgh, he just became a pro bowler.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8317
Minks complained after getting his wish and being traded that he was not being moved around enough.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22764
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinished wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

No he's not. Miami wanted him to play strong safety when free safety is his usual position.


Not only that, but they wanted him to bounce back and forth between safety and nickel depending on who the opponent was.


Minkah knew the coaching and management of the team was crap and got out as fast as he could. Smart young man. You know your organization sucks when this stuff hapoens. Once he got to Pittsburgh, he just became a pro bowler.


He was actually pretty darn outstanding with the Dolphins the previous year as a rookie in the slot (even under Gase). I guess that was an aberration for this franchise since everyone sucks.

Some have speculated that Minkah was tired of the Saban type of coaching, and Flores is in that mold.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8317
Quote:
Fitzpatrick was installed as the Steelers’ starting free safety, and everything was great for the first seven games, when he recorded five interceptions and 34 tackles. “I am comfortable on the field. [They] just allowed me to play fast and do what I do. That is the thing I like about here — we run what we run, and we run it well. We don’t try to do too much, don’t try to change it up week to week.”

The Steelers were 5-2 in those seven games, including a 27-14 win over the Dolphins.

Fitzpatrick liked it.

Over the final seven weeks of the season, Fitzpatrick had no interceptions and 23 tackles. The Steelers were 3-4 over the final seven games - coincidentally the exact same record as Miami over that span - and ended the season on a three-game losing streak.

“I don’t want to see that drop-off,” Fitzpatrick told ESPN’s Brooke Pryor last week at the Super Bowl. Quarterbacks were staying away from him as the Steelers played him solely as the deep safety, limiting his ability to read, react, and make plays.

“I wanted to continue to have that impact on my team and have that impact on games,” Fitzpatrick explained. “Because it’s no fun when you’re in a critical moment and you can’t do nothing about it.

“When you move around and you’re a moving piece on the chessboard, it’s hard to defend and you can’t just say, ‘All right, the quarterback is going to look at me and say he’s going to be in this spot every snap,’ like I was last year. It’s going to be harder and it’s going to be more difficult to take me out of the game.”

That is a far cry from Fitzpatrick’s comments in October, when he was a ball-hawk, picking off passes with regularity and making plays as a pure free safety. Suddenly, Fitzpatrick wants to play multiple roles on the defense. He wants to move around. He wants the Steelers to line him up in ways that keeps defenses guessing.

In other words, he wants a role similar to how Miami would have been using him.


https://www.thephinsider.com/2020/2/7/2 ... lers-trade


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7307
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
FINesse wrote:
Fell into the lets hire a NE Coordinator so he can bring that success to us trap.


Because it’s worked so well for everyone else who tried it in the past?

On the topic of Minkah in PITT, looks like his production coincided with their monumental collapse for the ages last season. I’ve never seen an 11-0 team miss the playoffs. Is Mike Tomlin the most overrated coach of the last decade? He’s my candidate.

_________________
Image


Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 419
Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

No he's not. Miami wanted him to play strong safety when free safety is his usual position.


Not only that, but they wanted him to bounce back and forth between safety and nickel depending on who the opponent was.


Minkah knew the coaching and management of the team was crap and got out as fast as he could. Smart young man. You know your organization sucks when this stuff hapoens. Once he got to Pittsburgh, he just became a pro bowler.


He was actually pretty darn outstanding with the Dolphins the previous year as a rookie in the slot (even under Gase). I guess that was an aberration for this franchise since everyone sucks.

Some have speculated that Minkah was tired of the Saban type of coaching, and Flores is in that mold.


Considering that Saban and Flores are both from Belichick's coaching tree, that is an accurate statement.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r