All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here is hoping that Tua can provide some kind of a spark.

PFT wrote:
During his Monday press conference, Miami head coach Brian Flores told reporters that Tua Tagovailoa is making a lot of improvement and could potentially get activated to play in this weeks matchup against the Jaguars in London.

“What we need to see is to see him move around, see him throw the ball, see him on the run. See the deep ball,” Flores said, via Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “The one thing we won’t see is real and true contact. There will obviously be some pain tolerance he’ll need to deal with.”

What could complicate matters is that backup QB Jacoby Brissett is dealing with a hamstring injury. Flores described Brissett as sore following the team’s Sunday loss to the Buccaneers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... this-week/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The one thing you don't want is Tua throwing ducks because of the pain. As much as I think the offense needs him they have to be careful that Tua doesn't hurt them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:yay:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I’m rooting for Tua to have a good game and Jax would be the opponent to help ease Tua back into the starting job. Unfortunately there’s no way he’ll be 100%, broken rib injuries linger and all it will take is one hard hit near the area and he’ll be far from effective. Knowing the kid is tough and knowing the team is desperately looking for something good to happen he might force things. If I had any confidence in these coaches on offense to be creative, I would think they could game plan Tua in such a way to reduce or minimize contact. This requires not giving up on the running game, use Waddle in space, but most of all for the defense to take over at times, force turnovers, protect a lead, thereby relieving Tua from doing it all.

I read where the overblown who calls the plays issue has changed in mid-season, with the explanation being one of simplifying or some other nonsense excuse from Flores, who’s totally responsible for this mess. How can an NFL franchise, where they sleep and eat on the job for 12 months, have come into the season with a supposedly well planned approach to the offensive coordinator/play calling aspect of the game, an aspect that doesn’t ever get any attention anywhere because it’s so straight forward, in most places at least, and in a quick five weeks realize they screwed up?

Only in Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I bet he can’t throw a football very far with those healing ribs….but hey, captain check down rarely throws it more than 10 yards anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
I’m rooting for Tua to have a good game and Jax would be the opponent to help ease Tua back into the starting job. Unfortunately there’s no way he’ll be 100%, broken rib injuries linger and all it will take is one hard hit near the area and he’ll be far from effective. Knowing the kid is tough and knowing the team is desperately looking for something good to happen he might force things. If I had any confidence in these coaches on offense to be creative, I would think they could game plan Tua in such a way to reduce or minimize contact. This requires not giving up on the running game, use Waddle in space, but most of all for the defense to take over at times, force turnovers, protect a lead, thereby relieving Tua from doing it all.

I read where the overblown who calls the plays issue has changed in mid-season, with the explanation being one of simplifying or some other nonsense excuse from Flores, who’s totally responsible for this mess. How can an NFL franchise, where they sleep and eat on the job for 12 months, have come into the season with a supposedly well planned approach to the offensive coordinator/play calling aspect of the game, an aspect that doesn’t ever get any attention anywhere because it’s so straight forward, in most places at least, and in a quick five weeks realize they screwed up?

Only in Miami.

This is the most optimistic post I've ever heard from you. Kudos sir, kudos!!
:yay:

Only to be followed by this gem:
Phinished wrote:
I bet he can’t throw a football very far with those healing ribs….but hey, captain check down rarely throws it more than 10 yards anyway.

:speechless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:05 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phin wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Only in Miami.

I’ve never rooted for Dolphins player to fail, my views on Tua long term are the same. He’s limited, Miami will still have to look to upgrade the position but until they do, I root for all of them to succeed, and if Tua has a turnaround in performance, and proves durable, hey, I’m tired like all of you seeing the Dolphins in the doldrums, over a myriad of issues.

Let’s play and try to win, and see if we can enjoy what’s left of the season. In the off-season I would like to see changes. Coaching for sure, and if Miami really stumbles the rest of the way and Tua can’t stay in the lineup then Grier will have to either make the move on Watson or Ross makes the move on Grier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:05 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
Phin wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Only in Miami.

I’ve never rooted for Dolphins player to fail, my views on Tua long term are the same. He’s limited, Miami will still have to look to upgrade the position but until they do, I root for all of them to succeed, and if Tua has a turnaround in performance, and proves durable, hey, I’m tired like all of you seeing the Dolphins in the doldrums, over a myriad of issues.

Let’s play and try to win, and see if we can enjoy what’s left of the season. In the off-season I would like to see changes. Coaching for sure, and if Miami really stumbles the rest of the way and Tua can’t stay in the lineup then Grier will have to either make the move on Watson or Ross makes the move on Grier.

What about Rodgers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
What about Rodgers?

First off, I know we each stand on opposite ends of the Watson issue so to answer that I will assume an even playing field.

As I’ve posted before Rodgers will have other options more favorable than Miami's, a team basically still finding its way through a rebuild. He may even stay in GB if their season is successful, (which is my hope, being a Packers fan). Watson on the other hand wants to come to Miami, as per reports of his no-trade clause wishes. I think that counts for something, meaning he would be willing to restructure his contract and give Miami other incentives, much like Brady did in NE from a cap perspective.

From the playing perspective, I would think that a 26 yr old QB is a better long term option than Rodgers at 37. Assuming for a minute that there are no long term legal or disciplinary limitations to acquiring Watson, his youth, his style of play (mobility), is more in keeping with the modern NFL game where quality offensive lines are difficult to come by. But what’s also important, Watson gives the Fins a couple of more years to recover the assets given in trade, and get their act together and upgrade the roster around him. In the same timeframe, were Rodgers to choose Miami, he would be about to the end of his career by the time Miami can help him. (How many GOATs can there be?). And after paying the steep price for him (about the same as Watson’s), Miami would find itself starting all over again with few assets to do it with.

All that above is monopoly money anyway the reality being that either choice may not come to pass. Here and now, Tua hopefully will have 12 remaining games to prove his worth, both in QB skills needed at this level and durability. If he doesn’t Ross will have what for me would be a slam dunk decision of cleaning house but for an NFL owner, caught up in these modern times, not as cut and dried given he would be facing quite a bit of “social” backlash if he were to remove two minority hires in high end positions in an NFL annually scolded for not doing enough in that area.

It’s the proverbial caught between a rock and a hard place.

Keeping Grier on the promise that he can bring in Watson (or Rodgers for that matter) is a band-aid solution as once the team replenishes draft assets Grier will blow them as he has shown so adept at doing. A new front office could just as easily upgrade the QB position while promising improvement in all areas, personnel selection, coaching, etc. But that’s wishful thinking at this point.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]