Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Methodical??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I've been a firm supporter of Flores based on what he has accomplished with this team over his first two years, but when we have serious problems on offense and he is saying, "methodical" and no major changes being done? And, I'm seeing Gaskin (our best back) with limited opportunities running the ball, Preston Williams a healthy scratch, the coaches not using the OL to their strengths, and telling us that the reason things aren't working is because of execution, and the constant flow of OL coaches and OCs every year, he's going to lose me in his corner.

Check out the rest of this thread. I'd like to see more talk like this on this forum. Give me something to really debate about instead of back and forth arguments about who sucks.

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1444769276460781576

Post subject: Re: Methodical??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If I had to guess, based on the receivers they kept - Waddle, Fuller, Wilson, Grant - the identity was Tua getting the ball out fast and these guys breaking tackles/juking to move the chains. Add both Gaskin and Ahmed as receiving threats. Once defenses rush forward to stop screens or play tight to stop slants we would see Tua aiming more intermediate to Parker, Gesicki and Williams.

Its like Gase when he sent Ajayi packing (because Ajayi wanted more carries). He thought screens and dump offs could substitute for a ground game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Watch the highlights of the preseason game against Atlanta.

Starts short, then medium targets, sprinkle in some shifty outside runs and you have death by a thousand cuts.

That is exactly what Miami's offense wants to be and they believe it will eventually open up shots down field.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The idea that munchkins and also rans can be NFL stars is nothing new. However, it is rare that measurables do not matter at this level. For every 5’9 freak like Steve Smith was, you have 100 speedy busts.

We are asking too much from some of our players. I love Ahmed or Gaskin as change of pace guys….but we do not have a workhorse RB. I do like guys like Wilson, or Waddle….but they are not #1 receivers. We do have Parker….so we are halfway there. Gesicki is great as a TE target. We can build around guys like him.

If you can not run the ball, then it is very hard to win. NFL defenses are too good to limit yourself to half a playbook. A short passing game in place of running can work…..if you have Warren Moon or Joe Montana pulling the trigger. HOF QB’s are not the norm though….and Tua is not Montana or Moon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree Jammer. That's every NFL team's philosophy. Other teams are taking away the short dink and dunk passes. We must take a shot down field every once and awhile especially one on one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Watch the highlights of the preseason game against Atlanta.

Starts short, then medium targets, sprinkle in some shifty outside runs and you have death by a thousand cuts.

That is exactly what Miami's offense wants to be and they believe it will eventually open up shots down field.

I was reading this this morning from the Herald which we all know but expect our "experienced" OCs to adjust to Brissett. I sure hope this dink and stink philosophy isn't the real philosophy, because it creates slow starts and plods "methodically".

Daniel Oyefusi (Miami Herald) wrote:
Two, lost in a lot of discourse during the three-game losing streak is the fact that this new-look offense was built for Tagovailoa, who has only had one full game under his belt this season. Whenever he returns from fractured ribs, which would be as soon as Oct. 17 against the Jacksonville Jaguars in London, I’m willing to give a few games to see how an offense tailored more to skill set looks.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:
I agree Jammer. That's every NFL team's philosophy. Other teams are taking away the short dink and dunk passes. We must take a shot down field every once and awhile especially one on one.

The successful teams are the ones who can run to set up the pass.

If Miami doesn't believe their stable of running back is capable then they really screwed up this offseason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Makchell wrote:

The successful teams are the ones who can run to set up the pass.

If Miami doesn't believe their stable of running back is capable then they really screwed up this offseason.

Yep, to get the slants to be more successful, the Dolphins have to be able to run the ball. Got to get the "R" working in order to use the "PO" in the run pass option we are trying to run.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]