Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saturday's practice
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Reporters are now allowed to report on who's starting where (Herald link below). A couple of interesting things.

One, the rook Eichenberg up to now slotted to take over at right tackle was surprisingly moved to left guard in the starting unit, replacing Solomon Kindlley. The reports are he's struggled at RT, after a career at ND playing on the left side. But left guard? Solomon Kindley who started most of last season at RG and played I thought well enough and had been planned to take over at LG is at least for now second string. Jesse Davis, who has been borderline the last couple of years and is at best suited as a backup, once again backs into the RT job.

And two, I did like that Michael Deiter is ahead of his challengers for the starting C job. What had looked like a bust draft pick, it'd be great if the team can salvage this 3rd round pick of a couple of years ago.

Of course, none of this is cast in stone, but I'm disappointed that Eichenberg (reminding me of "Heisenberg", Walter White's bad guy nickname) has not cemented the RT position. He did say that it's been an adjustment for him, to put it mildly. These moves, when a targeted player taken as this kid was to fill a need, begin to show struggle always strike me as questionable both in the draft decisions (they had to pay to trade up for him), and now the coaching of the player. Moves on the o-line from left to right and vice-versa are common as teams try to find the best five, but not everyone can make the transition. It is assumed that the coaching staff evaluated the move and obviously agreed that they can make it work, they had to or otherwise why the "expensive" move to bring the kid in?

Just hoping this doesn't turn out to be another two, three year wait for the kid to pay off.

I kinda had my heart set on an offensive line that's both young and talented, to play together for several years and become the strength of the offense. As rookies last year Jackson, Kindley and Hunt showed they can start and grow into more dominant players. With Eichenberg a rookie and Dieter in his third year, this line would have incredible potential and if Tua can dial it up, the offense could be a force.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 55978.html

Post subject: Re: Saturday's practice
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
I did like that Michael Deiter is ahead of his challengers for the starting C job. What had looked like a bust draft pick, it'd be great if the team can salvage this 3rd round pick of a couple of years ago.

Thanks for nice summary!

I was surprised to read that as well. I know they have been hopeful that he wins the job, but as we know it isn't guaranteed just yet. If he can win the center position, that would be outstanding as he has two years left on his contract (this year and 2022).

Here is his draft info: Dolphins draft G Michael Deiter in round 3

carreramia wrote:
... but I'm disappointed that Eichenberg (reminding me of "Heisenberg", Walter White's bad guy nickname) has not cemented the RT position. He did say that it's been an adjustment for him, to put it mildly. These moves, when a targeted player taken as this kid was to fill a need, begin to show struggle always strike me as questionable both in the draft decisions (they had to pay to trade up for him), and now the coaching of the player. Moves on the o-line from left to right and vice-versa are common as teams try to find the best five, but not everyone can make the transition. It is assumed that it's all just blocking the man ahead of you, but it's a lot more complicated than that.

Just hoping this doesn't turn out to be another two, three year wait for the kid to pay off.

I'm disappointed as well, but I'm sure we aren't giving up on him after just a few days of practice. I do know that last year they liked to move everyone around. I never understand why teams draft a player who played one side of the line most of their college career and want to flip him to the other side. As you said, not everyone can make the transition. Looks to me at the moment that we have a surplus of young guards. I like Davis, but he's the guy you love to have come off the bench for a few plays each game as he is dependable.

Post subject: Re: Saturday's practice
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
carreramia wrote:
I did like that Michael Deiter is ahead of his challengers for the starting C job. What had looked like a bust draft pick, it'd be great if the team can salvage this 3rd round pick of a couple of years ago.

Thanks for nice summary!

I was surprised to read that as well. I know they have been hopeful that he wins the job, but as we know it isn't guaranteed just yet. If he can win the center position, that would be outstanding as he has two years left on his contract (this year and 2022).

Here is his draft info: Dolphins draft G Michael Deiter in round 3

carreramia wrote:
... but I'm disappointed that Eichenberg (reminding me of "Heisenberg", Walter White's bad guy nickname) has not cemented the RT position. He did say that it's been an adjustment for him, to put it mildly. These moves, when a targeted player taken as this kid was to fill a need, begin to show struggle always strike me as questionable both in the draft decisions (they had to pay to trade up for him), and now the coaching of the player. Moves on the o-line from left to right and vice-versa are common as teams try to find the best five, but not everyone can make the transition. It is assumed that it's all just blocking the man ahead of you, but it's a lot more complicated than that.

I'm disappointed as well, but I'm sure we aren't giving up on him after just a few days of practice. I do know that last year they liked to move everyone around. I never understand why teams draft a player who played one side of the line most of their college career and want to flip him to the other side. As you said, not everyone can make the transition. Looks to me at the moment that we have a surplus of young guards. I like Davis, but he's the guy you love to have come off the bench for a few plays each game as he is dependable.

It worked out so well for the team when they drafted a stud to play safety and moved him to the slot. The Steelers and Minkah are very happy.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]