All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The media will not let the Drew Brees "fiasco" die, and Saban is starting to rewrite his memories. He did want Brees, but then he was ok with Culpepper after the Dolphins doctors cleared him. Unfortunately, all they made him do was run in a straight line in their try out.

DolphinsWire wrote:
Saban: "Look when the Miami Dolphins were going to sign Drew Brees, Drew was coming to Miami when I was the coach there. He was going to be the quarterback. That’s all we needed. We just went 9-7 and all we needed was a quarterback to be a playoff team. We were going to sign Drew Brees as a free agent. Dr. (James) Andrews operated on him and I went to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews, and he said it’ll be fine. Our doctors failed him on the physical. (Drew) was there to sign with us. I actually made a deal with his agent that he wouldn’t tell anybody for 72 hours he failed his physical until New Orleans signed him. That’s how he ended up in New Orleans.

So, I decided right then when that happened that we don’t have a quarterback in the NFL, we’re not going to win. I’m getting out of here. I’m not staying here. I’m not going to be responsible for this. That doctor didn’t know his (rear end) from a handful of sand. Drew Brees plays 15 more years, wins a Super Bowl, goes to nine Pro Bowls. And we didn’t take him in Miami, where he wanted to go. Some things you can’t control. When we left there nobody understood why. Well that was why. There’s always a reason.”

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... es-fiasco/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He publicly ID’ed the physician?

Protect the ego at all costs Nikki.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

What are you talking about? That was public knowledge when it happened in 2006:
https://www.patriots.com/news/chargers- ... gery-94006

Nick Satan, ‘er Saban, did the right thing for himself. He knew a loser when he saw it and left. I think he could still have made Miami into a winner, but I do not think he wanted the risk to his career should he ultimately fail. I think he knew that coaches were going to have less control over players in the NFL. Besides, no NFL players like a coach who wants discipline. I remember all the whining and complaining about Coughlin in New York, but he got them a Super Bowl with hard work and discipline. It still makes me laugh when I think about Tiki Barber leaving that team and running his mouth….and never getting his ring. Karma. In Alabama, Saban has total control. You will notice that he is quite successful there. I hate him for abandoning the Dolphins when their need was greatest, but it is hard to fault the man’s success in his profession.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Dr. James Andrews is the doctor that operated on Brees, not the one that failed him on his physical for the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What is he talking about.......despite all his success, his failure in Miami must really eat at him. Now he's invented a story where he knew he was going to leave Miami before the season began? Did he forget he told everyone he was not going to leave Miami?

He was in charge and the call was his. I didn't realize he had spoken to the Surgeon that operated on Brees. All of this makes him look so much worse.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:59 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Lame. He can say any reason as to why he decided to go, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he went on national TV and said he wasn't leaving, then left. He's got a whole different issue to clear up.

It is what it is anyways. The NFL is probably a better product with him at Alabama, shaping and ultimately providing the level of talent they do year after year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If he knew he needed a qb then he could have picked Aaron Rogers instead of Ronnie Brown in the draft.

I don't think the doctors would have vetoed that move.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

DolphinsWire wrote:
Saban: "Dr. (James) Andrews operated on him and I went to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews, and he said it’ll be fine. Our doctors failed him on the physical. (Drew) was there to sign with us. I actually made a deal with his agent that he wouldn’t tell anybody for 72 hours he failed his physical until New Orleans signed him. That’s how he ended up in New Orleans."

If Dr Andrews says he is good, that's all the evidence you need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Drafting Rodgers would have been Miami's best move, but we all now know that Saban had no patience for rookie QBs. He was win now.

Daunte Culpepper was a boom or bust option based on his history (even without the knee injury). I think there is some truth to Saban having one foot out the door when Brees went to New Orleans, but I think the final decision was made the minute he saw Culpepper in pads.

Lets not pretend Saban's drafting was awesome in 2006 either. I counted 9 Pro Bowlers selected in the 1st Round after Jason Allen.

The only thing I remember enjoying in 2006 was Joey Harrington smoking the Lions on Thanksgiving Day. I think he had a few other decent performances prior to that giving us hope that maybe he salvageable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
Nick Satan, ‘er Saban, did the right thing for himself. He knew a loser when he saw it and left.

Any coach or fan should find another team with that attitude. We had a member here, Tommy, who jumped to the Bucs years ago. He made the right decision for himself.

Phinished wrote:
I think he could still have made Miami into a winner, but I do not think he wanted the risk to his career should he ultimately fail.

I really believe that as well, but he loves to be worshipped and you don't get that in the NFL. Plus, he wasn't happy with his GM as he complained that he didn't bring in enough good players for him. I believe that was Randy Mueller.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

….I have earned the right to be a critical fan. In fact, most Americans used to have the right to an opinion on issues of the day..I have followed the team for 49 years now and post-Shula, the team has struggled. They owe their fans something more than constant mediocrity. Saban learned a lot about this organization and he did not walk, he ran away. He is a rat for jumping ship like that, but you have to ask yourself why he did it. I see signs of improvement with Flores, but also some alarming negatives in personnel selection. I am not sure who is in charge of the decisions and whether or not Flores has the final call….I suspect he does not. The personnel selection issues imho are the reasons this team has been mired in mediocrity and I see alarming signs this has not really changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
The personnel selection issues imho are the reasons this team has been mired in mediocrity and I see alarming signs this has not really changed.

I feel the team has made good decisions, but we will know in a couple of years whether Grier is the man or not. While he was selecting for Gase, I thought he did a below average job, but adding personnel for Flores has changed that mindset for me so far. Even though I've watched this team since 1970, I still have a glass half full attitude even though this team has disappointed me terribly. If this doesn't pan out I may be in your shoes. The Bucs just won the NBA championship for the first time in 49 years. I remember when they won it back then. How long has it been for the Dolphins? I hope to see another one (or more) before my time comes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:28 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:
The personnel selection issues imho are the reasons this team has been mired in mediocrity and I see alarming signs this has not really changed.

I feel the team has made good decisions, but we will know in a couple of years whether Grier is the man or not. While he was selecting for Gase, I thought he did a below average job, but adding personnel for Flores has changed that mindset for me so far. Even though I've watched this team since 1970, I still have a glass half full attitude even though this team has disappointed me terribly. If this doesn't pan out I may be in your shoes. The Bucs just won the NBA championship for the first time in 49 years. I remember when they won it back then. How long has it been for the Dolphins? I hope to see another one (or more) before my time comes.

Yep…I am old enough to remember Lew Alcindor (aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar)….but man… how much longer do we have to wait for a playoff win or playoff run at least? The team has had enough high picks and chances at key free agents for decades and they really have flummoxed it up. I was a youngster and remember the key Phins jumping ship to the WFL…and then their inexplicable and egregious inability to return to and win a super bowl with the greatest QB this game has ever seen. I hated missing 6 years of watching his career when I was in the navy. Then saw them squander their chances during the pot smoker’s tenure at RB …. If only they could have had that running game and D when Marino was the QB. Since Marino, they have been wandering Sinai….when will it end?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:06 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Over 15 years ago and we are still talking about this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:52 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinished wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

What are you talking about? That was public knowledge when it happened in 2006

I was speaking rhetorically. Name dropping the house physician is empirical evidence of severe little D syndrome coming from the 5 foot 3 1/2 straw hat man.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:53 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Coots wrote:
Over 15 years ago and we are still talking about this.

Miami is a textbook scorned ex. This is a tale as old as time Cooter man.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:40 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Who cares. Let it go. We Dolphin fans live to much in the past.
Hey , how bout those 72 guys!

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]