All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22074
Location: Raleigh, NC
We will get good value for him if traded, but this will set back our pass defense. Howard can play anywhere needed against our opponent's best wide receiver, but we all are nervous about his injury history. Someone replied on this post that "A first round pick? Grier doesn’t get out of bed for less than 2 1st rounders. Ask Houston and San Francisco." My thoughts are the same ... it will be more than just a first round pick or he may have to sit out the season.




Here's his latest social media post. It sounds like he feels disrespected.


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22074
Location: Raleigh, NC
PFF has this to say about his pay, where the Dolphins stand in cap for the CB position, and who would pony up for him.

PFF wrote:
But Howard isn’t paid like the fourth-best outside cornerback in football.

He signed a five-year, $75.25 million extension with Miami in May 2019, but only $27.18 million was fully guaranteed at signing. Per Over The Cap, his current contract ranks just 20th at his position in average guaranteed money per year ($5.4 million). Teammate Byron Jones, however, signed a five-year contract with $46 million fully guaranteed at signing ($82.5 million total) in March 2020. Jones ranks third at his position in average guaranteed salary per contract year, per Over The Cap.

Miami currently has more than $41 million 2021 cap dollars tied to the cornerback position, far and away the most of any NFL team. Competitors at the opposite end of the spectrum include the Arizona Cardinals ($9.7M), Kansas City Chiefs ($10.8M) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($11.3M). The Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Chargers both have more than $20 million in available cap space for the 2021 season, as well.


https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-miami-dolp ... ding-spots

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 941
I don't see any (smart) team giving up a lot in a trade to commit five years to an older, oft-injured player who won't play unless he becomes the highest paid CB in the league. He's good, very good. But not that good. I doubt we could even get a first round pick for him, due to his salary situation. Minkah Fitzpatrick was different, because he still had four years left on his rookie contract. Minkah is just as good as Howard, and we only got a #18 for him, and his salary was much more palatable.

What would be more likely would be to trade him for a player at another position who had a similar contract. It would take a team who really needed a CB and was willing to trade a star because they had a younger player ready to replace that star.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7087
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
If he gets an offer of two 1st rounds there should be zero hesitation. Can we trade his ****ing agent instead?

To El Salvador?

No compensation needed, he just needs to GTFO. Addition by subtraction. This situation is making me more cynical than it should. F these guys. The culture everywhere is twisted. These dudes can pretend they are hurting for that extra few million on top of what was already $50,000,000 but a lot of fans will stop paying attention. How can you get behind players like this as a fan?

I nominate lawyers & sports agents to play the front of the line when WW3 inevitably breaks. I’ll try to get the best seat I can.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22074
Location: Raleigh, NC
The Dolphins weren't sure about his health, and that is why they drafted Igby. Throw him in there if we trade X. I am ok if we guarantee X's pay this year by making some of his pay guaranteed, but I am very sure that wouldn't make him happy. He wants a total redo. Who orchestrated that contract and who signed it? There should be no whining on his part.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:01 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2278
So awesome….yet another top player that the Dolphins can’t retain.

The pattern here is alarming….and who gives a flip what picks we get if the team can not develop and retain talent. The guys making the decisions are morons. Minkah wanted to play safety. I submit we would be better if he were still a Dolphin and playing safety. The team brings in a top CB in free agency, but stupidly can not anticipate how Xavien will act….so the net result is our secondary gets weaker. Igby has not proven worthy of the reach the Phins made to pick him, but I suppose they can develop his talent and trade him….since it is what the Phins do.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22074
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinished wrote:
So awesome….yet another top player that the Dolphins can’t retain.

The pattern here is alarming….and who gives a flip what picks we get if the team can not develop and retain talent.


I hate to lose a Pro Bowl player, too, but we did draft Igby due to X's injury past. The Dolphins are very high on Ibgy. X is 28, and I really wonder when his next big injury will be. Maybe cut our losses and get some value if we can if we have to while his value is at its highest. Let's not forget that his former agent drew up this contract which he happily signed two years ago. This probably would have been a problem with X anyways, but signing Byron Jones to what they did made him feel less valued.

Phinished wrote:
Minkah wanted to play safety. I submit we would be better if he were still a Dolphin and playing safety.


I am 100% with you there. We had two safeties the last two years that pretty much played exclusively at safety. Why not Minkah? He was definitely not happy playing the slot as he was having a terrible camp. That was a bad decision, and the trade we made for him was LT Austin Jackson. Talentwise, you cannot compare the two as Minkah was excellent for us right out of the gate.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 2319
Location: Charlotte, NC
Big Dave wrote:
I am 100% with you there. We had two safeties the last two years that pretty much played exclusively at safety. Why not Minkah? He was definitely not happy playing the slot as he was having a terrible camp. That was a bad decision, and the trade we made for him was LT Austin Jackson. Talentwise, you cannot compare the two as Minkah was excellent for us right out of the gate.


It's tough to say what was going on behind the scenes. I don't think Minkah was thrilled to be playing on a Team that was slated to lose for Tua. Minkah is in year 3 of a 4 year contract. If the Steelers want to keep him, they'll likely have to come with a big contract after this year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:22 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2278
shularino wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
I am 100% with you there. We had two safeties the last two years that pretty much played exclusively at safety. Why not Minkah? He was definitely not happy playing the slot as he was having a terrible camp. That was a bad decision, and the trade we made for him was LT Austin Jackson. Talentwise, you cannot compare the two as Minkah was excellent for us right out of the gate.


It's tough to say what was going on behind the scenes. I don't think Minkah was thrilled to be playing on a Team that was slated to lose for Tua. Minkah is in year 3 of a 4 year contract. If the Steelers want to keep him, they'll likely have to come with a big contract after this year.


Bet they don’t have to…. Quality organization’s often get a home team discount from players who are motivated by winning. The Steelers are ready to turn the QB page, but are still potent. Minkah is part of a defense steeped in history and legend….he isn’t going to leave that for cash.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22074
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinished wrote:
shularino wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
I am 100% with you there. We had two safeties the last two years that pretty much played exclusively at safety. Why not Minkah? He was definitely not happy playing the slot as he was having a terrible camp. That was a bad decision, and the trade we made for him was LT Austin Jackson. Talentwise, you cannot compare the two as Minkah was excellent for us right out of the gate.


It's tough to say what was going on behind the scenes. I don't think Minkah was thrilled to be playing on a Team that was slated to lose for Tua. Minkah is in year 3 of a 4 year contract. If the Steelers want to keep him, they'll likely have to come with a big contract after this year.


Bet they don’t have to…. Quality organization’s often get a home team discount from players who are motivated by winning. The Steelers are ready to turn the QB page, but are still potent. Minkah is part of a defense steeped in history and legend….he isn’t going to leave that for cash.


He could have been tired of playing for another "Saban" type coach who is very demanding.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8113
Minkah complained about not being used enough in different situations after he got there, maybe he read too many of his own press clippings or the ignorance of youth.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12738
Location: MA
The only way Miami trades Howard is if they have confidence in the Front 7.

With that said, they have a lot of depth there and added McCourty this offseason. Not saying he is an answer, but he can play some snaps. There are also a ton of available free agents who can take snaps as well.

If you get multiple early picks for him and use one on an elite prospect in April then I guess you can reason it.

Miami only has $5 million in cap space right now but they have $55 million next year. If I had to bet I'd say they work something out.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:40 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:55 am
Posts: 185
Starting to pick up steam on Twitter, something is going down

https://twitter.com/NUTTYxPROFESSOR/sta ... 49122?s=20


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22074
Location: Raleigh, NC
Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Phinished wrote:
Minkah wanted to play safety. I submit we would be better if he were still a Dolphin and playing safety.


I am 100% with you there. We had two safeties the last two years that pretty much played exclusively at safety. Why not Minkah? He was definitely not happy playing the slot as he was having a terrible camp. That was a bad decision, and the trade we made for him was LT Austin Jackson. Talentwise, you cannot compare the two as Minkah was excellent for us right out of the gate.



_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], prof123 and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r